The Forest
259 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In an abundant forest of the Tianyuan continent, a boy who looked to merely be around 1 month old was currently covered in blood and dragging a green rabbit.

Such a scene would surely have shocked any ordinary person, yet the boy did not seem to perceive what he was doing or how he was doing it strange or bizarre. This boy continued to drag the rabbit through the forest until he ultimately reached a small cave only large enough to accommodate one adult human. But with the boy’s current size it was enough and more for him to use as a home.

The boy threw the rabbit in a corner of the cave while he went to lie down on a simple leaf bed to rest. One could see how exhausted the boy was from his disheveled chestnut hair and the dark bags under his eyes. One could equally see that he was abnormally scrawny for his age, most likely a consequence of starvation and malnourishment.

After resting for about an hour, he finally got up from the leaf bed and went over to the rabbit. Picking the rabbit back up, he began to skin it with the same precision you would expect from that age. “Damn it, why are these hands so inflexible and clunky,” he raged, however, it only came out as cute baby jargon. Astonishingly, he eventually managed to skin the rabbit even though half of the meat had been wasted in the process due to his amateur skills. Impaling the rabbit with a sharpened stick, the boy brought the bloodied carcass over to a small fire in the middle of the cave and waited for the rabbit meat to be cooked.

While he was waiting, he looked over to the obscurest depth of the cave where they laid a peculiar egg. The egg was about the equivalent size as that of an ostrich’s and perhaps even a bit larger. Its surface was bright gold to the point that it looked like it was glowing and emanating a golden aura. Its shell also portrayed many strange markings on it that resembled clouds and other mystical things. The unusual part was that these markings seemed to flow and move like they were authentic. This egg remained the first and only thing that the boy had when he came to this world.

That’s right, this boy was in fact not an inhabitant of this world but a person who had reincarnated here after dying in his previous world. Regrettably, he could not recall anything personal or related to him. This includes his family, friends, lovers and even his name. He knew that he most likely bore these relations and yet he could not recollect them. This did not bother him, though. After all, he couldn’t miss what he did not remember and right now he was primarily focused on his survival.

He had woken up in a small clearing in this world. The sole thing he possessed with him when he came to was that egg. After his initial confusement, hunger had settled in and forced him to attempt to obtain something to eat. He originally tried opening the egg with a rock only to have the opposite effect he wanted with the rock ending up cracked and broken apart instead of the egg. Thankfully he was able to find a bush with what looked like blueberries, despite the fact that each one portrayed all the colors of the rainbow. After consuming them, he went out to search for shelter and eventually found the cave he was currently in.

A month later and he had now somewhat learned how to hunt for himself in this forest although his skinning skills still required improvement he at least knew how and where to hunt for food, how to make a fire and how to prepare the food he caught. He had even found a river nearby which he drank from so he additionally secured a source of water.

Coming back to the present, the boy was still looking at the egg. For some unknown reason, after he had failed to crack it open, he had developed a strange attachment to it which was the reason for why he brought it with him to the cave and even took care of it by cleaning it every day. He thought it might have been because it was the sole thing he had with him when he woke up in this strange forest or perhaps he was simply curious about it. Whatever the case he now cared for the egg like family.

With that on his mind, he roasted and ate his rabbit, grabbed a boulder near the cave and rolled it to its entrance. As the sun set and night came, the day beasts also fell asleep and the terrifying nocturnal beasts awoke filling the extensive forest with numerous ominous and mysterious sounds.

Meanwhile in the cave, unbeknownst to the boy, the egg in the corner of his cave began to emit a golden white mist like aura. The aura began to detach itself from the egg into a firm line that went from the egg to the boy’s body. When the aura reached near his body it suddenly split into innumerable small threads which then entered the boy’s body. The aura then acted as a transporter for something from the egg to be pumped into the boy’s body.

As more and more of the mysterious substance entered his body, it displayed signs of change. His bones became denser, his muscles became stronger, his tendons more elastic, his skin tougher, his heart pumped blood faster and in greater quantities and on it were displayed numerous lines of sacred golden runes. With this mysterious substance the boy’s body began to gain a golden tint as a whole.

This continued for an entire hour and ended when the aura threads finally retracted from his body and back into the egg at which point the aura that it emitted began to fade like a dust in the wind. Now no longer being continuously pumped with the mysterious substance his body lost it’s slight golden tint but the changes to his body did not disappear or recede but instead solidified themselves in his body.

The world outside the cave continued on as normal, oblivious to this event, and as nature would will it the moon fell and the sun rose bearing with it the light of a new day which promised new opportunities but also great dangers. The boy started his day off by taking the egg and going to the nearby river to both clean himself and clean the egg. After which he went out hunting.

“Hm, I caught rabbit yesterday and the day before so I kind of want something different today.” As he muttered that he looked up at the sky which was hidden by the forest’s thick canopy and with a tightening of his leg muscles and a slight squat, he propelled himself up high onto a branch of one of the trees.

As he looked down at the ground (which was right now nearly 60 meters away from him) he couldn’t help but once again remark at his current body’s strength and speed. Although he didn’t remember everything from his previous life, he knew for certain that let alone such a young child even an Olympic athlete wouldn’t be able to do what he had just done and definitely not at the speed with which he had done it.

He had first discovered this abnormal power when he came to this world and wanted to get a rabbit to eat. The peculiar green rabbits moved at an extremely slow speed in his eyes and were extremely easy to catch. Initially, he thought it was that they were just slow but he eventually noticed the same phenomenon with many other animals. This caused him to come to the conclusion that it wasn’t they who were slow but rather him who expressed abnormal perception and speed. This newfound realization initially shocked him since he had no memory of such a thing but after calming down he then decided to further explore his new body and discovered that his strength, speed and all of his senses were all vastly superior compared to his previous life to the point where he could easily pick up and move a boulder, run as fast as a cheetah and see nearly 300 meters away.

Snapping out of his reminiscence, he still didn’t know why he suddenly had this power, but he pushed that aside and focused on survival which right now meant getting food to eat. He jumped once more and went up another 60 or so meters onto the branch of another tree. The trees in this forest were very tall with the smallest being around 150 meters tall and the biggest ones could be anywhere from 300 to 350 meters. This benefited the boy, however, as he had found their great height and many branches formed a sort of pathway that he could use to quickly travel around the forest.

He kept jumping and jumping until he came to the very top of the tree and had a view of the entire canopy of the forest. He typically wouldn’t come this high when hunting animals however today he had decided that he wouldn’t be hunting just any animals.

Focusing his eyes, he very quickly spotted his prey. A small 20cm long and 8cm wide grey bird with a bloated white belly with grey spots. The boy instantly became excited when he saw the “Grey-spotted bird” as he dubbed it. He had only just seen and eaten a few of these birds in the time that he had been here. Despite their appearance, they were a delicious meal with their only downside being that there wasn’t a lot of said meat. This didn’t really bother him that much, though, since he didn’t require that much food.

Following the bird with his eyes, he waited for it to come close. His previous experience with these birds informed him that they had incredible speed and control over their flight making it almost impossible to catch one even with his enhanced abilities unless they were very close. 10 minutes passed before the bird finally decided to land on a convenient tree, they had a lot of stamina, seemingly pecking at it and searching for something.

Gradually moving to the end of the branch of his tree that was closest to the bird’s tree, he again squatted, however, this time he performed a full squat thus utilizing the full power of his legs and with a swing of his arms jumped up above the bird. Due to his position the bird did not notice and was merely startled by the sudden sound near it. Despite this it did not fly away and instead returned to pecking at the tree deeming its current task more crucial than the noise. The boy who was at this point 80 meters above the bird began to fall and gravity accelerated him until he was but a blur.

The bird observed a shadow eclipsing it that was getting bigger but before it could even process what it meant, the boy had already slammed into the bird just barely grabbing it by the tail before shooting through the canopy and branches and straight into the forest floor causing a small hole. “Uhhhh, that was a bit too reckless” an exhausted voice came from the hole before the boy was seen climbing out of it. His body provided considerable resistance and durability but even he would suffer some pain from that fall.

After having slowly climbed out of the hole he took a few minutes to rest before heading back home by which time his body was in a decidedly better state and it was still repairing itself at that exact moment. However, he was halted very promptly on his trek back home by his senses which were rapidly firing off danger signals.

This was the first time such a thing had happened to him since he reincarnated and the sudden mix of shock, surprise and fear caused him to freeze. This moment would prove to represent a fatal one as not a second later a humongous brown blur came rushing out of the nearby foliage and crashed directly into the boy’s body immediately flinging him dozens of meters back into a tree, causing the sturdy tree to bend. Feeling the numerous cracked bones around his body and pain at a level that he’d never felt before, the illusion of invincibility that he’d had since coming to this forest shattered as easily as glass.

With a predominant fear in his heart, his blurry eyes managed to somehow capture a shot of what impacted him. A two meter tall brown beast with blood red eyes that oozed killing intent and bloodlust with two long and sharp silver tusks that gleamed with a cold metallic light. It looked like a boar however he knew this was far stronger and deadlier than any boar he knew of.

4