An Awkward Encounter
81 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chen Huang was struggling to stand upright and his back was drenched in cold sweat. Unexpectedly, he could not feel any deliberate malice nor killing intent from the gazes, merely an intense pressure. Chen Huang’s breathing became erratic and his vision got blurrier. 

 

As if responding to the deepening crisis, he felt his heart beat more ferociously and flowing streams of warm energy spread from his heart to the rest of his body. The warm energy eased the excessive pressure slightly and allowed Chen Huang to continue standing. 

 

Despite this, Chen Huang nevertheless did not know who these gazes belonged to and so he gathered his courage before lifting his head. The moment his head was raised, an even more intense pressure descended upon him making the previous one seem like a gentle breeze in comparison. 

 

His physique desperately tried to support him and flashing golden runes emerged all along his skin. Up till now, the pressure did not disappear and continued to press Chen Huang into the floor. 

 

Just when he was about to give up, the pressure disappeared without a trace and a mysterious force lifted his head and straightened his back. Finally standing and with his vision clear, Chen Huang observed the situation he was in. 

 

They were currently within a large banquet hall with a long dining table placed in front of them. Piles of delicious looking gourmet food were sprawled on the table, all of them emitting a fragrant and irresistible aroma. There was one chair at the end of the table and nine chairs on each side. Each of the chairs were produced from luxuriant metals and covered with glistening silk that looked as if it contained entire galaxies in its threads. There were seven adults and three children seated in the chairs at the side, leaving the chair at the end and six chairs on the sides empty.

 

Each one of the adults radiated a dangerous aura and the children simply looked at Chen Huang with varying emotions: curiosity, distrust and hostility. 

 

“Jade Earth Peak Lord Lei Huang and his personal disciple Chen Huang have arrived.” From the side, Luo Ming announced their presence. For a second, I stared at the butler as he retreated back outside and closed the gates. ‘Thanks for telling them we’re here when they can clearly see that.’ 

 

Chen Huang knew that this was most likely customary but he was still mentally shaken up from the earlier crisis and was internally venting on the butler for something he saw as useless. It was only once he had regained a bit of clarity that he paused and in his mind went back to review what the butler had said. 

 

‘Lei Huang!’ 

 

Chen Huang looked over in surprise at his master who had already begun to move forward. Although Chen Huang wasn’t an expert in oriental culture, he was reasonably certain that his name and all the names he had heard in this realm were chinese, or at least resemble chinese, names. From what he knew, in China, the surname came first while the given name was second when someone introduced themselves or stated their name. 

 

Knowing this piece of information and having never heard his master’s name until now, Chen Huang had assumed that ‘Chen’ was his surname and ‘Huang’ his given name. Chen Huang didn’t have much time to think about how this made him feel as his master was getting ready to sit down and he knew he did not want to be standing alone in front of these dangerous people. 

 

He hurried to the seat right next to his master and sat down. ‘Whatever, it’s just altering my name’ Chen Huang told himself once he was well-seated. ‘I survived for a year without any name’ Chen Huang looked once more at his master’s calm face. ‘Not to mention, master gave me this name so what does it matter if it’s the flipped version of what I thought it was.’ Chen Huang smiled at his acceptance of this small matter. “You’re late, Lei Huang.” 

 

Chen Huang turned to the source of the strong voice. On the opposite side of the table sat a black haired and blue eyed middle-aged man in bright yellow garbs. The man’s eyes were slightly squinted in an accusing fashion as he stared at Lei Huang. Chen Huang also noted the black-haired and yellow-eyed eight-year old child dressed in the same bright yellow clothes that was seated next to the middle-aged man. 

 

His gaze met the child’s and he noted the child's smug face as he also peered at Chen Huang. Chen Huang only made a troubled face at this reaction which seemed to momentarily stun the child as well. 

 

“I don’t recall there being an established time for when the banquet starts or ends.” Lei Huang replied in an apathetic tone yet his eyes carried anything but that. Chen Huang merely observed the confrontation between the two men. 

 

“It might not have been said because it was instead expected, in other words being courteous” the man replied back. 

 

“Or maybe you’re simply the imbecile who came way earlier than the start of the event.” After being called ‘imbecile’, the man shot up from his seat with one bulging vein on his face now red from anger. 

 

“You…!” the man began saying something as golden thunder started to crackle around his body and gather in his hands. 

 

However, just before he could, a brown haired and eyed 25 year-old looking man wearing a top hat and monoglass in yellow and grey robes spoke out in an attempt to diffuse the hostile situation. “Hey, let’s all calm down and take a breath, the important thing is that Lei Huang is here and that the banquet will start soon.” 

 

The man in yellow and grey turned to look at the man in bright yellow before asking a question, “All right, Zhi Wong” Zhi Wong paused for a moment before reluctantly nodding and sat down but his eyes never left Lei Huang. Jing Ling then shifted to look at Lei Huang, “All right, Lei Huang.” Lei Huang rolled his eyes at the question but eventually responded with a similar nod. 

 

The atmosphere in the room instantly became very awkward and no one appeared to want to change the mood. In the silence, Chen Huang observed the rest of the people at the table. 

 

Among the unknown adults and children was a beautiful black-haired lady with a silver robe and the insignia of a silver sword within a circle on the back. The woman held an elegant demeanor and there was an unmistakably sharp aura surrounding her. Next to the woman was a similarly dressed silver-haired girl that looked around six-years old. Chen Huang then moved on to look at the others. 

 

Among the remaining people was a red-haired and black-eyed man with a brown-haired and brown-eyed 5 year-old boy, both in scarlet red clothes with a burning flame symbol on the back. 

 

The two final adults were a cold but exquisite looking white-haired woman with a white-blue snowflake on the back of her snow-white robe and a brown-haired, orange-eyed middle-aged man with a brilliant orange tunic with the symbol of a gaping mouth full of sharp teeth. 

 

Chen Huang was curious to know these people’s names but he didn’t dare open his mouth with the thick tension that was floating around. While his eyes were darting around the room and between people, Chen Huang eventually noticed that the man in an orange tunic was looking at him with an inquisitive and interested look in his eyes. Chen Huang wanted to look elsewhere but the other man spoke before he could. “Chen Huang, that is your name right?” the man in orange uttered. 

 

The sudden discussion immediately attracted the attention of everyone in the room, especially Lei Huang who narrowed his eyes while looking at the man in orange. The man in orange was still looking at Chen Huang, waiting for an answer and Chen Huang finally responded with a nod, “Yes.” 

 

The man in orange was satisfied with that response and leaned forward, giving Chen Huang a better view of the man’s piercing orange eyes. “Do you possess the Sacred Eternal Heart physique?” The question caused a glint of shock, and interest to appear in all of the adults' eyes with all of the children save the one next to Zhi Wong remaining oblivious to the meaning behind the simple question. 

 

“My disciple’s powers are none of your concern Wei Huan” “I disagree, if the boy possesses that specific heavenly physique, it concerns me and my entire peak.” Wei Huan said as Chen Huang could faintly hear the roars of many terrifying and voracious beasts coming from the man’s body. 

 

“So, does he possess it… or not?”, an increasingly guttural and savage voice crawled out from Wei Huan’s throat. 

 

Lei Huang moved his eyes to glance at all of the other adults who all equally held the same desire for knowledge as Wei Huan yet most of them seemed to have the restraint to hold themselves back. 

 

“Answer the question Lei Huang!” the red-haired man shouted as he slammed his fist on the table, creating a small dent that quickly began to burn and char. “If a disciple has a heavenly physique, it should not be kept hidden!” the man yelled once more as he withdrew his hand revealing a scorched fist mark on the table. The man slid his hand over the scorched dent and when he had completely passed over it, the damage was gone as if it had never happened. 

 

His master glared dangerously at the red-haired man, causing him to slightly back down before he heaved a sigh and faced each of the cultivators present. “Yes, he possesses the Sacred Eternal Heart physique.” 

 

Wei Huan didn’t miss a beat and immediately jumped in with his proposition, “In that case, my Roaring Beast peak is most suited for his promising future and should take him in as my personal disciple. Your Jade Earth peak, realistically, is not the right fit for him.” 

 

‘Move to another peak.’ Chen Huang could feel himself starting to stress so he utilized his spiritual energy to forcibly calm himself down, a little trick he’d learned after advancing. ‘I don’t want to go somewhere else.’ That was the truth. After spending some time there, Chen Huang had undoubtedly begun to feel comfortable in the green palace and even more-so with his master. 

 

Not to mention the fact that Jin Long was still there and his existence remained a secret. What would happen to him if he left Jade Earth peak, would he come with Chen Huang or would he have to stay behind. Chen Huang tightly clenched his fists at that thought, he steadfastly refused to be separated from Jin Long like that. Chen Huang was prepared to, as terrified as he was, speak up against this decision.

 

Crash!

 

However, he was unable to do so as his master had already stepped up to the plate, his hand had shattered the expensive old-fashioned glass that he was holding causing it to break in a crystalline explosion. The glass shards shot everywhere yet no one was harmed as an extraordinary power, which Chen Huang assumed to be a spell, would stop the shards in mid-air and gently let them down onto the polished floor if they ever got too close to one of them. 

 

Chen Huang looked at his master in shock only to be further surprised as he saw his master’s usually impassive face bear a distinctive look of restrained rage and his eyes were like a dark storm that thundered ominously. 

 

A similar outburst subsequently occurred on the other side of the dining table where Chen Huang saw Wei Huan also giving off a similar dangerous vibe with his eyes flashing an even brighter than normal, bright orange color. 

 

“You dare try stealing my disciple, you little orange cockroach.” That genuinely seemed to piss off Wei Huan as his earnest face contorted in utter rage. His fierce eyes glowed brighter and his aura increased in size to the point that objects in the room began to shake and tremble. 

 

Despite all of this, Chen Huang found that none of the adults seemed worried but instead intrigued with even Jing Ling happily witnessing the confrontation. The only ones who were frightened and slightly panicking were the children. 

 

“This is the best option for the sect, even you can see that Lei Huang.” Wei Huan said as he tried with all his might to not completely lose his rationality as they were still at a banquet hosted by the Starry Sky Peak Lord. 

 

“What’s best is that he stays as my personal disciple, orange cockroach.” 

 

“Lei Huuuaaaaannnggg!!!” 

 

Wei Huan completely lost his temper and shouted with a voice that seemed to come from the deepest parts of him. “You are so stubborn, small terrano!” 

 

Lei Huang’s gleaming eyes showed rage at that sentence and a storm of violent green energy manifested everywhere around him while the earth beneath their feet shook and turned a dangerous green color. 

 

On Wei Huan’s side, his gorgeous robes shifted and distorted as numerous dark orange shadows of various frightening beasts rose up, ready to pounce on Lei Huang. 

 

The spiritual energy fluctuation from the two simply standing there was enough to nearly completely overpower and overwhelm Chen Huang. He looked at the other children to find that they weren’t in a better condition as they were all panting heavily and gasping for breath.

 

At the sight of the two fighting and the children’s struggles, the white-haired lady did some unknown movements in the air and a thin transparent veil descended upon the children at the banquet, protecting them from the spiritual energy fluctuation coming from the Lei Huang and Wei Huan. The veil was soft and beautiful  like a coat of gentle snow on the harsh ground. 

 

Turning back to the fight, the auras of the two powerful cultivators rose until it towered over them with faint images of a majestic mountain and a roaring monstrosity appearing within. The mountain and beast were gradually approaching each other and as they did the surrounding space could be seen distorting and shifting like it was desperately trying to stay together.

 

“Stop!” Zhi Wong, surprisingly, yelled for the two to stop yet unfortunately his voice fell on deaf ears as the two were focused on each other. Howling winds were generated from the two naturally causing the table to crack and break and all of its nutritional contents to fly off into the distance. 

 

If it hadn’t been for the protective spells that the adults had cast when they saw the situation get intense, the children would have surely been blown away. 

 

Both Lei Huang and Wei Huan bore angry expressions although for Lei Huang it looked like he was only slightly enraged. Chen Huang watched on nervously when suddenly, the two immediately lost their previous expressions and rapidly dispersed their miraculous powers before sitting back down on their luxurious chairs. 

 

Chen Huang couldn’t and didn’t follow the abrupt change and looked at the other adults who also seemed to have intuitively grasped something from the look of expectation on their faces as they looked at the large door. 

 

Chen Huang blinked only for a second and the previously broken and empty table was back to its original form and it had regained all of its past delicacies, 'The effect of an ability or spell' Chen Huang thought in astonishment. 

 

He looked back at his master who continued to look at Wei Huan with some anger and vice-versa. However, it appeared that they had achieved a silent agreement to, for now, not act against each other.

 

Crrrreeeeaaaakkk!

 

Finally looking at the door, Chen Huang soon discovered the answer to his apparent confusion as the ornate door to the hallway opened and a noble silhouette entered.

1