Prologue: A New Reason
50 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Does God truly exist? Humanity for the past few centuries have struggled with this question along with many others related to God. Are there multiple gods or just one? And if God truly does exist, is humanity even an afterthought to it?  So many questions about if there is a higher being and if that higher being cares for us, yet there are no true answers, only speculation.

People are given answers to their questions by opportunists, who quickly gained power in the past as they were the ‘emissaries’ of beings that even the strongest of men could not hold a thumb to. Most of these opportunists were quickly realized as fakes and scorned, but for some lucky few, they were immortalized for their ‘wisdom’ and ‘knowledge’ of those above.

But as time went on, humanity has become more and more desensitized to the premise of a higher being, and to some, it has just become a fiction with no base in the modern age. Such things like magic and destiny have become relegated to the fiction section on a website or bookstore.

The reason why we now start to scoff at the idea of God and higher powers is because of technology and common knowledge. In the far past, humanity could easily blow off natural phenomena such as lightning or storms as ‘magical’, or ‘the will of the Gods’. But as they are now explained by science, the mysticism of them has disappeared and now merely lie in the back of people’s minds rather than them being viewed as ‘divine retribution’ for a perceived wrong.

As humanity learned, religion and faith waned. And unbeknownst to humanity, the beings that watched them became more and more irritated by this

 

SOMEWHERE IN A HIGHER REALM OF EXISTENCE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Look at how they now scoff at even the idea of us existing! Have their hubris grown so astronomical that they can’t even believe that something is better than them?”

The being that first spoke does not have a corporeal form. If a person were to look at it, they would only see a spirit-like being so big, that even the biggest man-made structures are dwarfed by it. With a reddish hue and a vaguely human-like appearance, it would be very difficult for even the most short-sighted people to not see it in front of them.

“They now mock our existence and only put us in their pitiful forms of entertainment! Where have prostrating ones gone, do they now mock us as well?”

The being grows brighter in rage of the treatment humanity is unintentionally giving it. As it starts to think about unleashing Ragnarök upon humanity by erupting the Pacific Rim, another being near it interrupts it.

“Calm now Hadeon, even though their impudence is truly infuriating, they still have some use to us.”

The smaller being, who looks as if they are a cloud of very fine grey mist, interrupting convinces Hadeon to not send humanity to oblivion… for now.

“It is agreeable that their lack of faith is unforgivable, we sent a prophet down a mere ten years ago and that prophet is already in a place where it can never preach for the rest of its life. But it would be a shame to ruin the millennia of fun they have given us.”

Knowing how to appeal to the giant, the mist easily calms Hadeon down.

“*sigh*, you are right Khentimentiu, it would be a shame to get rid of them so abruptly but remember that this world was specifically created to create faith for us, and you know how hard that is to create! The conditions have to be just right for us to properly extract it from the shelled.”

“Of course, my friend, that much is common knowledge, it is quite hard to create enough faith to extract, refine, and then sell to the others. But when it is extracted and refined, it tastes so damn good.”

Khentimentiu, by just remembering the taste of refined human faith, starts to shake like an addict, their misty form moving erratically.

“Yes, it has quite the taste, but the planet’s use has quickly disappeared as the shelled have rid themselves of their faith, even though we create reasons for them to fight each other!”

Upon hearing Hadeon’s critique of Earth and its shel- … humans, Khentimentiu stops shaking and thinks.

“That is quite disturbing, in their past, wars created an excess of faith, which is why we caused so much of it, but if even that now fails, we must think of a new way to extract faith from them.”

A NEW WAY?” Hadeon shouts at Khentimentiu. “EXCUSE MY IMPUDENT RAGE, BUT WE HAVE ALREADY TRIED EVERY WAY THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE DIVINE INTERVENTION! WAR, DIVINE OCCURRENCES, WE EVEN TRIED TO TRICK THE TWO MAJOR POWERS TO KILL EACH OTHER WITH THEIR NUKES AND EVEN THAT SOMEHOW DIDN’T WORK!”

“Calm now Hadeon, I understand that, which is why we must take some more… drastic measures...”

Intrigued, Hadeon focuses his being towards Khentimentiu.

“Oh?” Hadeon says, “I’m listening…”

2