Chapter 5: The Mad King
38 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5: The Mad King

Lunier 6, 1289

Oak was brought to a watchtower made of black stone. The tower rose above the royal castle located in a forest on the edge of Xidorville.

His Majesty used this tower as a dungeon, prisoners were held on the top floor. Thus, they could not escape without having to face the regiments posted in the various levels of the tower or risk jumping into the void to escape their incarceration.

From there came the order of the king to leave the windows open in order to motivate them to choose the path of heaven, the torment was constant.

The guards threw Oak into a dark cell with oxidized copper bars where a stench emanated from a rotting corpse, which appeared to be that of a tree-man over 200 years old. This one wore wizards' clothes, which was unusual, wizards normally died young, that is to say in their fifties.

Only a wizard who had succeeded in stopping the sap aging process could become amortal .

A strong, cold wind came from the open windows and blew over the body. It made the rotten leaves hair of the corpse fly . The vegetal remnants flew through the windows or through the bars to strike against the massive iron door that made up the only entrance to the room.

He searched the deceased's robe, a sort of indigo wizard's robe, and came across a volume filled with hieroglyphics and written in a strange language. Also, there was a hairy eye on the book’s cover. The Arbolarbre, half-opened the book. The iris opened, flooded with tears and began to look at him intensively.

He looks so sad… A bit like me… Where are you, Régis, Cynthia, Kelly? Are you dead like this Arbolarbre ? If you're alive, do you still love me? Do you hold me responsible? I gotta know… I have to get out of here.

Oak began to read. The mysterious hieroglyphs became audible, readable and understandable words.

The image of a middle-aged Arbolarbre , that is to say 75 years old, appeared before his eyes like a hologram. He wore a long indigo robe with a hat of the same color. His hair of silver-colored leaves protruded from it and contrasted with his golden eyes. The Image began to speak.

“This is my diary, my name is Ignis Succensio and I was executed by King Xidor Cèdre, a year ago, in  Germé of 1288.  Before I died, I wrote and encrypted my story on its leaves. I was born in the kingdom of the Arbolarbres like any other Arbolarbre , but in a family of nobility and due to my social rank and my magical powers, I was able to end up in the King’s court.

This is where things got complicated. My role was to study magic and discover all the secrets of the sap to then reveal them to the sovereign. The pretext he used to justify these studies was that magic would improve the gardening practices of the kingdom.

The Image of King Xidor appeared, a treeman with purple eyes and hair of green leaves filled with pine cones.

He started talking to the wizard. “ Ignis , you’re the best wizard I know and an honor to the god who fathered us, continue in your search for the best plant growth techniques”

The image of Xidor disappeared and gave way to the Image of Ignis in crushing some herbs with a mortar in his laboratory. His lab was a bright room with black stone walls and floors. There, a hundreds of powders and herbs littered a red ceramic table.

Ignis told him “For this reason, I continued in my studies as a faithful servant without knowing that Xidor was diverting knowledge for his personal use. Two years ago, I discovered that he kept animals such as pigs, lambs and oxen for his personal consumption; eating meat is a very serious sin and he knew it.

Xidor is a carnivore… This bastard is stealing our taxes to fund this? I understand better about the priest now… Xidor must have got rid of him to avenge Sylvain and the others. … Calm down, Oak . It's none of your business... For now, you have to go out and save your family...

He continued to read the accounts of Ignis Successio . The laboratory had disappeared to give way to a large room with gold walls lit by chandeliers hanging on the wall. Dozens of solid gold tables occupied the room. Xidor was sitting alone at one of them eating a lamb shank, an expression of pure pleasure on his face. Indeed, the monarch claimed to be a paragon of virtue and the defender of the law and the faith while he indulged in debauchery.

Ignis entered the room and approached the king. So, I confronted him when I caught him in the banquet hall, munching meat. I gave him a pained look; it hurt to see him like this. “What are you doing my king, you are debasing yourself, giving yourself up to vice. »

Xidor remained seated and gave him a candid look. “I couldn't stop from the moment my lips tasted the flesh of a wild bird. I will obtain immortality like the reborn warrior.”

The wizard Ignis Succensio took off his wizard's hat, exposing his silver hair. He sat next to Xidor. “The Reborn Warrior? What is that?"

Xidor gave him a carnivorous smile, his eyes looking like those of a wild beast. . "A legend, on a blue moon night, a warrior is reborn on the battlefield after eating the meat of a wild bird."

Ignis shuddered at what he saw in the king's eyes. He passed his hand over his face as if to wake him from a nightmare. Ignis believed that the king was not in his normal state.

“Immortality? But what nonsense, no one can become immortal. Pull yourself together, my king. »

King Xidor then suddenly stood up, rocking his wooden chair on the white marble floor. “There is a war in my head, I always try to resist the temptation, but it overcomes my will”

The king froze in place, seized with a cold sweat. *Brr* “I'm upset and disgusted with myself but I can't die. Kill me before I kill you! I can't let you reveal my secret to the people, it would become a public scandal."

Ignis stood up as well and put his hands in front of him. “Calm down, the people have the right to know your secrets, to know their true king. Let me help you. It's just an addiction, that will change. »

“No, that won't change!” He exploded in rage before grabbing his falchion and throwing himself at me. I dodged and kicked him, fleeing the castle before I could plead for help from the guard. I didn't want to hurt my king and that was my mistake." The image of the banquet hall disappeared and gave way to a thick leafy forest where squirrels swarmed. Ignis stood in a blueberry bush and picked up the berries.

"Thus, I hid in the nature of Miradia for about 5 months, feeding on herbs, berries and mushrooms."

“Until the Royal Army discovered me and brought me to a dungeon for treason without any trial and without any evidence, accusing me of selling state secrets to the sworn enemies of our people, the Applers . I would have defended myself and tried to explain the king's treachery to them, but they captured me in my sleep and tore out my tongue; I’ll never be able to bewitch people again. »

Guards dressed in the royal habit, a scarlet robe streaked with purple then appeared in front of a sleeping Ignis laying in the grass.

They seized him and tore out his green wood tongue. Then they tied him up.

Letters appeared in the air. “Today is the day of my execution and I would like that whoever reads my story to reveal the secrets of the king and unite the supporters”

The letters began to glow. “The king has dark plans for invasions and plans to invade the animal kingdoms of Skyhigh , the Cantabrian Mountains and the Galician forests in order to condemn them to herding. He has already sent hunters to capture members of the golden moles, Avians, and  the gray deer in order to learn about their kingdoms. Who knows where it will strike first. »

Nice story but my family is more important than that war.

“In the other pages of this diary you will find all the magical knowledge that I have discovered and that I could not conjure up to save my life. Study them! You who possess the magic sap, the essence of Herbacum will know how to become my apprentice. Become my apprentice and successor, this is my last wish!

" I accept!" Oak shouted .

Oh, magic spells? It's not just a story. Wait, I can summon and talk with animals and manipulate heat and fire. Plus I can control the plants. Maybe I'll avenge you, Ignis .. Dad always said to be grateful to whoever helps you… And he wanted to get rid of Xidor at all costs.

Oak just had to pronounce this magic formula to summon an animal. "Animals, how awesome you are” The animal could choose whether or not to respond to Oak 's call .

To manipulate heat and fire, Ignis gave these instructions.

"Rub your hands together as you say the following words: 'Whispers, burns, destruction, combustion, flamma aeternam'"

"Then manipulate the flames and mold them with your thoughts, there is no limit to that, except for the fertility of your imagination, you will find some ideas here" murmured the wizard displaying representations of balls of fire. fires and beings of flame, the elementals .”

"But be careful not to destroy yourself by casting these spells, consult a druid if the side effects are too strong."

Indeed, to use magic, the sorcerer or the priest had to perfectly pronounce the words of the magic formula while imagining the incantation launched.

The scenes imagined during the incantations could create psychological consequences for the sorcerers. It was, therefore, important to consult Druids, specialists in soul illnesses.

For example, incantations of black magic could drive its user into madness as the essence of Herbacum rejected this form of magic, which originated from the Appler People, the archenemies of the Arbolarbres.

To make plants grow, Oak could alter the biological parameters of the flora. He could play with levels of phytohormones, such as abscisic acid, auxins, cytosine, ethylene, gibberellin, and brassinosteroids .

“Say the following words to see inside the body and change its different levels of phytohormones.” :

"Grant the plant a seed of the plain." »

Plant magic was Ignis ' specialty . It  was one of the seven magic elements and was related to Saint Amelanchier . Indeed, six of these seven elements of magic (fire magic, plant magic, air magic, water magic and luck magic) had been invented by theArbolarbres Saints , former companions of King Herbacum while black magic came from  the heretics. Spells belonging to these magics could only be created in the  Season of Germé, the Season of Creation.

Plant magic could be very powerful and many incantations of this magic could be reversed including the one Ignis taught at Oak .

He showed it to him. "You can also reverse the formula 'Grant the plain a seed of the plant' in order to turn into a nature elemental, but only use this inversion as a last resort because after 15 minutes the consequences are dire. , even worse than the aging of your sap.”

Terrible consequences… What's more terrible than losing your family forever, Xidor … if you hurt them, I'll kill you… Where are you hiding them?

Oak had taken all night to read the book by moonlight. His bark just like his sap, had aged only a few months and was now showing small creases. His wrinkled shirt and jeans as well as his hair were full of dust. The dawn light was beginning to penetrate the tower.

He saw another individual sleeping in the cell. He was about eighteen years old,

His skin was similar to the bark of a Baobab and his hair looked like bushes with burgundy and purple colored leaves. He was lying on the slate floor and sleeping like a log.

Oak woke him up by shaking his arm.

"Wake up, we have to get out of here before the guards wake up."

The other prisoner opened his eyes, yawned and introduced himself.

"Hello, I'm Willow and you?"

Oak walked to the window where the wind was blowing. “ Oak . We'll talk later. We're leaving."

"But we'll never get out of here, Xidor has men everywhere," Willow told im in a pessimistic tone.

Oak ignored him and cast a spell to summon a Firebird. “Animals, how awesome you are”

The Firebirds owed their name to the beautiful orange-red plumage they wore, strangely resembling flames.  Their origin came from the last season of Germé. The only season when inter-species coupling could lead to the creation of whole new species.

You called me ? a voice answered Oak , telepathically .

Yes, I absolutely need your help, Firebird.

I'm coming, Oak. .

"What is going on ?" Willow said, wondering when he saw Oak moving his lips without speaking.

" A few minutes." replied Oak .

They waited like this in silence for a while. Suddenly, a beating of wings was heard. A Firebird approached the window.

The Firebird entered the room through the rectangular opening.

"Is he what you've been waiting for?" said Willow, her wooden eyebrows furrowed.

“Yes, ride with me on his back. The guards will see nothing but fire,” .

Oak and Willow clung to the back of the bird, a back covered in fluffy orange feathers. The bird flew through the window opening and Oak directed it toward the surrounding birch and cedar forest. It was blazing hot outside, typical of a day of Germé Season. The clouds in the sky had taken the form of cotton candy, with a pink color, mixed with red and yellow, and were pouring rain that evaporated as soon as its exited the cloud mass.

Oak and his friends landed near a small pond whose drying blue water sparkled in the sun. “Wow, Oak . How did you do that?" Willow said , surprised.

"No time to explain, we drink and then we leave." said Oak , quenching his thirst in the low level river.

A few minutes later, the soldiers noticed their absence and rang the bells to notify the others. They set off in pursuit.

As they bent over to drink, the two prisoners heard the clanking of iron boots. A massive, good-looking caudillo accompanied by about sixty infantry-men was approaching at a rapid pace. All were dressed in emerald robes bearing the royal seal.

Oak looked up and saw the man.

He questioned him. “Who are you? What do you want from us?

The caudillo spoke to them.

“Hello, Oak and Willow. I’m Maple, infantry captain in Prince Atord 's personal guard . Atord sent me to save you from his brother, King Xidor Cèdre.  His majesty has discovered his brother's crimes and at the same time heard the story of your recent adventures.

The caudillo stared him straight in the eye. “ Oak , do you want to oppose carnivorism, join us in the war against Xidor, and avenge your family or do you prefer to go alone in search of your loved ones? He cleared his dry throat. “ I will understand if you prefer to find your loved ones and return to your old life.

“I have to think about it…” he said hesitantly .

“Take the time you need. But know that only Xidor knows where your parents are.”

What would you do to find me, Dad? Would you look everywhere even if it meant wasting time or would you extract the answer from someone who knows for sure where I am?... You would like me to fight against Xidor; you wanted him dead.. You wanted brother to fight against the bandits… I'll make you proud…

"No, I'll do everything to stop the one who stole my family and my old life. This king can and must change for good. I'll make sure he doesn't hurt anyone anymore and that he tells me where he's keeping my family captive... As my father wanted, I'll also help your king to ascend the throne.

Maple's serious face lit up with a sincere smile. “Great. We’ll thwart his plans together. My friend Atord must be made aware of your support for our cause, I will send him a missive.

"This prince, are we talking about this same prince?" Willow said to Oak , a hint of mockery in her voice.

“Yes, that prince…” Oak whispered .

Maple walked over to the Firebird and stroked its plumage. " I suggest we go to the Bouleauville Inn to hide and rest while waiting for Atord 's response The innkeeper is an old friend of Prince Atord and Xidor… He helped us so much during the war against the Applers .”

"Good idea, it's still early. I'm going to go to bed."

“Not so fast, Oak . Before going to bed, you should let go of your Firebird, if tomorrow you mount it, we will not be able to protect you. Maple said.

So Ignis showed him how to call animals. Damn Ignis .. thought the captain.

You can go, Bird. Said Oak telepathically ..

Bye, dad Oak . said the young bird sadly.

The bird flew away.

Oak and Willow joined the detachment of soldiers. They crossed the forest that separated them from the inn and ended up on a trade route.

Oak saw a few small brown feathers on the marble slab road. 

 

1