Chapter 17 – José is dead
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 17

José is dead

In the darkened streets, a man dressed in a plague doctor's costume stepped away from his group and walked toward the Indomitable, pointing im with the tip of his blade.

He sneered until his jaw broke. "Hey, hey, hey, look who's here, a man who steals our masks and dares to disguise himself as a member of our distinguished brotherhood. You’ve attracted the attention of my men, Mimar the third mask."

"Really?" replied the Indomitable, scorning the tree man in the plague doctor’s costume.

 "You shouldn't have asked that beggar to walk around the city, shouting 'José is dead'. Now everyone thinks otherwise and is looking for me and my brotherhood."

The Indomitable stepped back from the group.

Shit, I'm all alone... like back then with Greko and his gang.

I have to coax him...

He waited a long time in silence.

He answered with a sour smile.: "José is dead. This beggar is rambling Tomorrow he’ll say 'José is alive' or he’lldie."

Pleased with the Indomitable's answer, José answered with joy "Wise answer. Turning truth into lies, but what a genius."

José contemplated the minister’s corpses, scattered on the ground.

José's joy faded. He told him with reproach. "You murdered Minister Peachseed, a good customer. Give me 500 floraux and I'll forget about it, otherwise..."

 José gripped his sword, imitating a tree-man slitting another's throat.

The Indomitable looked both ways, the bandits tightened their grip. They would stab him before he could execute any of them.

He slipped his hand into his pockets and grabbed the purse Peachseed had given him. He handed it to the bandit leader.

José grabbed the purse and slipped it into his pockets. He searched the Indomitable's hoodie." Now where is the creamy white mime mask?..."

José forcibly removed the hoodie that the Indomitable wore, which made the latter wince in displeasure.  "Where is it? The mask must burn or people will wear it and pretend to be members of our brotherhood".

José turned to his henchmen and ordered them. "Go around the city and burn all the masks you see, nobody beside us should wear them."

 The Indomitable put on his hoodie. He told him with displeasure. " I left the mask in the mansion next to  Cherryblossom’s body. I forced the window open with a screwdriver and murdered him. I put leaves to fool people."

José looked around to make sure no one was around. "Not only do you murder one of our good customers, but you also leave false evidence to frame us for a murder we didn't commit. You put even more attention on us.

He yelled. “Henchmen, kill him!"

José's tree-men rushed at him. The Indomitable put his arms in the air which prompted the henchmen to stop.

"Wait! The beggar will never contradict himself without me. "

José laughed at him. "Huh, huh, why?"

The assassin replied, self-convinced. "I’m the only one who has spoken to him. I’m his only friend."

José turned his back on him. "The beggar will contradict himself, with or without you."

The Indomitable cried out. "He’d never obey his friend's killer."

José turned and gave him a dumbfounded look. "You, a friend of beggars!?"

"Yes, I promised him 40 floraux a day, without me, he would starve...Even the clergy refused to help him, accusing him of being a parasite."

José approached the Indomitable and slid his dagger across his bark. The icy metal made his teeth grind. "Okay, you'll talk to him, but I keep your money. The beggar won't get a penny if he keeps peddling falsehoods. He got two days to contradict himself or you'll die. My men have all their eyes on you."

José signaled to four bandits. "Escort him, find the beggar. Once he talks, do to the Indomitable what you did with Yvard's new wife."

"Really, boss?" replied one of the bandits, incredulous.

José whispered to them. "The rest of you, take care of the masks. We'll meet up, at the usual place and time, the actor is waiting for me."

Yvard's new wife... They want to kill me... The dagger will claim them long before. And who is this actor?

José disappeared into the dark alleys. In the meantime, the Indomitable lead the four bandits to a dead end.  

The shadow of a thin, stocky figure stood a few feet away from them.

He urged the bandits to approach him. "The beggar is waiting for you, get closer to him, he’s a bit deaf."

Under the moonglow, the bandits moved closer to the figure.

The bandits approached the figure and watched the Indomitable out of the corner of their eyes.

"Hey, José’s dead, José’s dead," the beggar proclaimed kindly.

The bandits grabbed their swords.

The beggar crouched and raised his arms at the sight of the weapons.

The bandits forced him to look at them. " Beggar, tomorrow you’ll only say "José is alive"

"O..R.. W..H..A..T?"

One of the bandits grabbed his hair. "Otherwise, you'll never see your friend again and your money will disappear."

Although terrified, the beggar took his courage in both hands. He told them to gain time. "No, I’ll have my money and my friend will live."

They lost sight of the Indomitable.

Before they could make a move, the bandits felt a cold blade pierce their backs.

The cold sensation was replaced by a burning, throbbing heat. Green sap began to run down their legs and they fell to the ground one by one, uttering faint grunts before dying.

The Indomitable stepped over the corpses, picked their pockets and began to talk to the beggar."Thanks for helping me."

The beggar trembled, still in shock. "Why did you kill those three men."

The assassin leaned toward him and held out his hand. "It's me, Mimar. These men are on José’s payroll and would have killed you."

Relieved, the beggar grabbed his hand and stood up, "Mimar, my friend. It was you? Then José was alive and well. Who is this José?"

The Indomitable lied to him, smiling. "José’s a bandit, he was working with Minister Peachseed. Together they were planning to have Prince Atord executed."

"But why did those bandits want to kill me?"

"You said José was dead, and by reverse psychology, you revealed his existence to the people."

He sighed, upset. “Why did you make me say that? So that I could reveal his identity?"

The Indomitable stood tall. "Right. José must pay for his crimes. He doesn't hesitate to betray his comrades for a purse. Me, I help my comrades."

The Indomitable handed him a handful of gold coins, which clinked against the beggar's dirty skin. *Tink, Tink*

The beggar hugged him, "40 floraux! You’re a saint, saint Mimar."

The Indomitable softly pushed him away after a while. "I must go, but remember that Saint Mimar and the Indomitable are one and only."

The beggar fell backward "You're the Indomitable? That Indomitable!"

"Yes, and I’ll always protect the orphans and you," he said.

He turned his back and left him, heading for Xidorville’s royal palace.

Several hours had passed since they left the mansion. The sun shone down on the streets, diffusing a soft orange glow.

The Indomitable arrived at the palace after taking a detour to buy food. The guards let him in.  They climbed stairs and led him into a sumptuous room. As he walked, the Indomitable looked around the room from top to bottom. He stopped for a second in front of a large red oak cabinet.

Strange. Why would the king change in the throne room instead of in his personal quarters?

King Xidor Cèdre warmly welcomed the Indomitable. The latter bowed to the throne of leaves.

"Good morning, Indomitable. You’ve not come back empty-handed as I see."

The Indomitable locked eyes with Xidor.

"Indeed."

The assassin slipped his hand into his coat and pulled out a straw hat.

"The ministers had an accident, Orangeflower lost his hat."

Xidor motioned to a guard."Go get the chest."

Xidor smiled at him.

"Excellent. Now, no obstacle stands in my way."

"No, my king" replied the Indomitable, hiding his irony.

Satisfied, the king proposed. "I’ll need your services to complete my new project. Join me."

"How much does it pay?" said the Indomitable.

"Money is not an issue." Some disappointment could be heard in Xidor's voice. "But your morals are."

"Why?" replied the Indomitable in a sour tone.

Xidor looked at him reproachfully, "You do everything to save the animals. But that's not how the world works.”

"Really?" repeated the Indomitable, defying the king's authority.

"Yeah. Animals were put on earth by God to serve the great Arbolarbre Nation. To eat them is our natural right."

"But what would The Clergy think?" worried the Indomitable.

"The Clergy will bend or break, the Arbol Maestra is not the worthy representative of God on earth, I am! My brother and this Jimmy Acajou are up to something. I can feel it. Fucking vegans...”

He took a breath. “Did the ministers tell you anything about my brother and Jimmy before they die?"

The Indomitable coughed and grimaced. "Don't be so hard on the vegans. I'm one of them. I’ll never eat animals. Don't ask me that..."

The king cried out. "I’m the king. I represent God! I don’t ask... I command! Do you know something? Yes or no?"

The Indomitable shouted back at him... " No one gives me orders... No one! Why are you so fiercely committed to the path of carnivorism?"

King Xidor shuddered.  The assassin's face was twisted with anger.

What if he throws himself at me? What if the guards don't save me in time?

Xidor softened his voice tone... " Let me explain my story and I guarantee that your scruples will go in smoke...."

"I'm listening," said the Indomitable in a dry tone...

"The story begins when I was only 13 years old."

***

1263, 27 years earlier.

Royal Court of Saint Cèdre

A tree-man with green leafy hair sits in the heart of a garden and plays with a young treeman child.

The 60-year-old adult smiles proudly at him. "Lord, you’re the best child I ever had, unlike your brother, that fool Xidor."

He patted his head.  "You, you're a real little guy. Beating General Brada at fencing? You amaze me. In my arms."

King Araison embraced Prince Atord as another little treeman child walks in front of him and taps him on the shoulder.

"Daddy, come play with me. You never play with me." The old treeman pays him no attention, turns his back, and kneels at the foot of little prince Atord.

"Atord, come with me tomorrow to pick mushrooms." The other little treeman taps his father on the shoulder again.

No response.

Atord watches his brother cry and tries to give his father a sign.

King Araison stares into his son's eyes. "Atord, answer me, we’re alone"

Little Xidor sprints up to his mother's skirts who is sitting nearby.

The woman with blue eyes and thick leafy hair points at her husband.

"Araison, that's not fair. Play with your son, he doesn't deserve to be ignored."

King Araison glares at his wife." He’ll deserve my love when he’ll defeat General Brada. He’s not even capable of facing a squire."

He sweeps the air with his hand." Woman, out of my sight."

Guards rush in and take the woman and child inside the palace.

Araison sits next to little Atord as a gardener brings them a tray of fresh vegetables and two plates. Araison dips into the vegetable tray and places a good amount of it on his son's plate. "Son, eat your vegetables, vegetables give strength."

His son slowly eats his vegetables.

When the plate is finished, he says. "Atord, go get your brother."

"But why?" his son grumbled.

King Atord slap his son on the buttocks. "No «why»! Go get him! Right now."

"Uuurgh!" bellowed Prince Atord before standing up. The little prince runs and brings back his brother Xidor.

King Araison turns to Xidor and points to the tray.

"Son. You see this tray of vegetables? Eat the whole thing if you want me to speak to you."

"But Daddy." says Xidor, hurt in his pride.

King Araison stares at him in disgust. "No buts, you eat the whole thing! Otherwise I won't talk to you anymore."

"But Dad..."

"Aargh... Vegetables give you strength, you'll never beat General Brada without strength."

Xidor grumbles and slowly begins to eat the plate. He swallows the entire plate.

"Urgh, Urgh. I don't feel good." He vomits the entire plate.

"Gross!" says Atord.

King Araison let out a sigh... " Son, you can't even eat vegetables without vomiting! You’ll never defeat General Brada."

He turned his back on him. "From today on, you’re no longer my son until you can eat vegetables without vomiting."

The guards laugh and laugh

"Prince Vomit, Prince Vomit."

Xidor remains silent, glares at the guards and then at his father.

His father remains stone-cold.

Xidor bolts from the garden.

The next day as he walks through the palace, all the children in the royal court call him Prince Vomit.

The same thing happens every day after that.  Xidor simply can’t swallow vegetables.

A few weeks later, Xidor stands before a mirror and makes a promise to himself.

"Never again will I eat vegetables. Daddy won't talk to me, he's gone crazy."

***

The Indomitable had watery eyes. "But what a story. So that's why."

King Xidor replied with trembling lips. "I don't eat vegetables since that day, they create monsters like my late father..."

The Indomitable gave him a look of sympathy.

"A real bastard."

Xidor replied with a bent back. "I don't want to become a monster. Breeding and eating animals are the only way to stay sane."

The Indomitable coughed, disagreeing secretly. "I agree.  I’ll follow you, Majesty. Let's eat the animals and stay lucid."

Xidor replied with a lump in his throat. "Ah, how it pleases me. Will you join me and Admiral Seaweed? We'll soon leave on a quest for immortality."

The Indomitable coughed. "Immortality? Sure but how will you obtain it?

Xidor licked his lips. " By eating Avians. Have you heard of the legend of the reborn warrior?"

"No, what is it?"

Xidor told the legend to the Indomitable; he listened with disdain.

"Does this Seaweed believe it too? asked the Indomitable after hearing the story.

Xidor swayed while sitting on the throne. "Well, he doesn't seem to really believe it.  But he's a man plagued by his demons;  an excellent sailor nonetheless. ”

Xidor paused to think for a second. “Um. You’ll have plenty of time to get to know him during the trip to Skyhigh. He’s looking for a certain Pirate Greko.. He believes he’s hiding in Skyhigh. Sound familiar?"

The Indomitable began to cough again. *Huff, Huff*

Xidor gave him a petty smile." From what I heard, you're the one who killed him...."

"Yes," grunted the Indomitable.

"Interesting! But make sure Seaweed doesn't find out.."

"Or else what?" worried the Indomitable.

"Or else I'll cancel our contract," replied Xidor abruptly.

The king reached into the chest that the guards had just brought in. He pulled out three large purses filled with gold which he handed to the Indomitable. "Thanks for your service. Continue to serve me and you’ll gain priceless wealth and eternity to savor it.”

The Indomitable bowed to him. "Thank you, majesty. I’m sleepy. Do you have a room?"

"To your right."

He indicated a steel door.

The Indomitable entered.

A sumptuous room with a bed made of goose feathers appeared before him.  There was also an oak desk at the entrance, where a quill, an inkwell, and some sheets of paper were kept.

He closed the door and wrote a letter, which he slipped into his pockets.

 That evening he went out and gave the letter to a pigeon.

 

Xidor Palace, 27 Arbatar, 1290

Saint-Cèdre (Cedraria) 1078 0S92

Mission in progress

Dear Employer,

I was unable to complete my mission and execute Xidor Cèdre. I was captured by his henchman, a man named Karel. I put myself at their service in order to get closer to them.

I, unfortunately, had to execute the ministers to gain their trust.  Don't worry, your identity remains a secret. They will never get to you, all the witnesses are dead, I’ll never betray you, you who saved my life.

Please accept, my dear, the expression of my most distinguished feelings in the hope of seeing you again soon to tell you the good news.

The Indomitable

Professional Assassin

0