Chapter 3 – Wasted Work
43 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3

Wasted Work

In the dimness of the forge, Oak worked every day from Monday to Sunday but could only forge about 25 nails an hour and he forged only two wheels. Yet he was sweating like a pig, and pounding the metal like a maniac.

He poured his heart and soul into it, producing high-quality products . However, he saw no end to the work, the stack of orders was barely shrinking while time was flying out of the window. 

Oak collapsed to the ground once the day was over, despair and anxiety gnawed at him, fatigue and headaches beat him down.

What if I failed? What if dad, mom, Régis, and Kelly want more from me? I don't want to die alone in the king's prisons without bro coming to visit me... Bro, I hope you're doing well... I can't wait to play hide and seek with you...

He tried to fall asleep, but worries invaded his thoughts like a horde of barbarians, his hands became sweaty and his mouth became as dry as a desert. All that despite extreme fatigue that pulled him inexorably towards sleep.

I gotta sleep… don't think about anything anymore… don't think about anything anymore… It'll be okay… It'll be okay… I'll get the money and we'll get rid of Xidor and the harvesters. 

Oak slept a fitful, unrefreshing sleep, filled with strange and demoralizing nightmares. He dreamed that his family denied him, forcing him to live a life of a vagrant who had to seek asylum or starve.

He woke up as tired as the day before. " Aaargh " he shouted, feeling like his head was going to explode.

I have to do everything to pay the fine… I stayed with mum and dad. I didn't run away like the Picbois brothers …I'll never be a vagabond…I'm an honest peasant and a good son.. It's time for me to assume my responsibilities.

Despite his few faults, Oak was a good son by the standards of Arbolarbre society because he had listened to his parents and elders and had sought a job without flinching.

Deep in thought, the young man of the Quercus family walked through the snowy streets; the sticky snow shone bright white in the morning sun. His winter boots left their imprints in the snow and joined the hundreds of others who converged to the same place.

They must lead to the marketplace… Yes, I got an idea.

Oak followed the footprints and passed many ocher terracotta houses and the now-empty Church, abandoned by the priest. Oak had a thought as he passed the Church.

I wonder where the priest went, what about that firebird that people saw the day he disappeared... it's weird...

Jimmy Acajou and the Clergy, who maintained a relationship of hatred with Xidor had financed the revolt of the Quercus family and the Jefars against the king through anonymous donations He had disappeared soon after, just like this priest, leaving Oak and his family without financial support, unable to pay the royal fine.

Oak was no longer shivering despite now dressed in a large sweater and woolen trousers that Yvard had given him as encouragement, and in the red cap and boots that he had stolen from the priest.

He turned right at the crossroads between the street and the alley lined with fir trees. He went up the main street he had walked the day he arrived in Oakvalley. It led to the center of the city where the sewing workshops and the shoemakers were located. Guards patrolled the streets, armed to the teeth, looking for someone or something. Oak saw them sticking posters on the building’s walls. The image of a tree-man dressed in a plague doctor’s costume was depicted on these posters. “ José Pilanger,  the terror of Oakvalley m bandit and assassin, stole the king's taxes. Bounty of 5,000 floraux for whoever brings him back and his whole gang. Prowling around.”

Interesting, maybe I should hunt this José instead of going to the forge… Maybe that’s what the forest noises were about But I can't leave Yvard … why not do both?

Oak walked past the poster and continued to follow the footprints that lined the main street. He arrived in a large circular square, the marketplace. A warm breeze was blowing from it, which was strange in the middle of winter.

Oak saw dozens of vendor kiosks there selling fruits and vegetables, clothing, weapons, soap, and more. A crowd of warmly dressed people had gathered in this market and were buying all kinds of goods while conversing. Oak walked toward the center of the market, pacing over the plowed stone slabs. He approached the fire.

The tinkle of coins pierced his ears, it sounded hollow, dense, and heavy. *Tchi -Tchink . * Thung , Thung * Is that lead? Oak thought as he heard the weird sound.

Horses neighed nearby while the scent of citrus fruits, spices, lavender, incense, and burning wood invaded his nostrils. 

He waved his hands in the air and shouted. “Apprentice blacksmiths wanted, come work with me and learn a trade.”

A tree-man dressed in a purple-dyed merino wool vest stood a few feet away from Oak.

He said, "Pfft, You look like a hobo, I'm sure you're not even paying for the meals."

Oak ran his hand over his stomach and made circles with it. “Listen to me, the meals are free and delicious, and you’ll be paid for your efforts in money, experience, and gratitude. If you give food to a tree-man, he’ll eat for a day, if you teach him a trade, he’ll always eat. Do you want to stuff yourself to indigestion?”

He laughed. “Ah, maybe not to the brink of indigestion, but you got a point, I’m ready to put myself at your service. As long as you buy me a meal. »

Oak gave him a warm smile. “Ah, I don't own the forge. It belongs to a certain Yvard, it is to him that you should ask for a meal.

The tree-man smiled at him, showing his yellow teeth.

"Oh, that, Yvard, I'd be suspicious, I've seen him argue with one of his ex-apprentices about something before. I didn't hear their conversation, but I saw them yelling at each other and making fists. »

Oak frowned. " Really ?" 

"Nothing serious. Another tree-man had to separate them. We should be careful not to lighten up this short-fused one.”

Oak said hoarsely and hesitantly. "You 're right, but I don't recruit directly for Yvard, let's say it's complicated."

"How complicated?" said the tree-man, getting up to walk towards a kiosk.

Oak got up and followed him with a determined step, so as not to lose sight of him.

" Yvard asked me to fill an important order for him, but it's impossible to do it alone, so I would like to have some help, but I don't know if Yvard will agree."

"Important how?" said the tree-man approaching a tree-man selling honey taffy.

Oak gave him a weak smile and shook his head. "Important enough to ask for help from two or three other people, I can't take it anymore, I'm bleeding to the bone for this order." If I don't fulfill it, I'll go to jail."

The tree-man bought two dashes of honey and gave a few gold coins to the trader who immediately pocketed them.

"Let me help you convince your boss and find other people who are into this adventure at the forge." He brought a stick of honey taffy close to Oak's face. “A piece?”

"Sure, thanks," Oak said, grabbing the stick to lick it. The sweet taste spread in his mouth, the honey sticking to his palate.

"Thank you, I think it’d be better to explain the situation to Yvard before promising mountains and wonders to supposed colleagues without them getting the job," said Oak, heading for the exit, accompanied by the apprentice blacksmith.

At a kiosk, they spotted Yvard selling tools and armor. The muscular, mustachioed tree-man waved at them. He looked worriedly at Oak. “Hello, youngsters. To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit? I thought you would work on fulfilling your obligations, but here you are, wandering the streets…Did you give up?”

Oak puffed out his chest and showed his hands to Yvard; the bark was rough and full of calluses.

"I haven't abandoned my job, on the contrary, I would like to offer you a solution to the insurmountable task that you have given me. I don't have the capacity to do it alone; I, therefore, decided to ask for help.” He pointed at his new recruits. “Those are our news blacksmith apprentices.”

" Really? But I don't have time to train them.” Replied the boss. 

“I'm not asking you to train them, I'll do it myself. I only ask you to feed them, you know my financial situation.

Yvard smiled at him "Oh yes, I know that. I'll let you hire them, but on one condition, they have to sign an employment contract with me…. »

Oak turned to his new companion. "Does that work for you"

"Let me think about it"

A heavy silence fell and seconds passed in slow motion.

The tree man nodded. “Okay, I'll sign a contract with him, but only on my terms. We will negotiate these in due course.”

Yvard said dryly. “It's okay, so get back to work and come back to me when the order is complete. I have customers"

However, they remained there, looking for new recruits. 

They shouted. "Apprentice-Blacksmiths wanted, come work with us and learn the techniques of Master Yvard ."

An Arbolarbre dressed in a blue linen suit who was buying food and ginger replied: “ Yvard , wasn't he the one who fired José for no apparent reason a year ago? »

" What ?" said Oak, looking at the tree.

The Arbolarbre put his hands on his chest and gave him a frank look. "Yet it's true... It left its mark on us, José argued with Yvard and cried us a river. He hasn't recovered from it, the poor man, and remains to do nothing, wallowing in his sorrow. “

He gasped. “José even said that Yvard didn't pay him for his services, because he hadn't signed a contract. He sighed. “ Yvard never signs contracts anyway.

Is it the same José, the one who is wanted? Yvard would be responsible for his bad luck? Pfft, I don't believe it for a second. Yvard is a good guy. Otherwise, he wouldn't have given me this chance… I mustn't screw it up.

Oak laughed heartily. “Ok, nobody signs a contract with Yvard except you. You are the lucky ones! Yvard has given his word that he will provide you with a work contract and wages. The only downside is that I’ll train you and you’ll have to work for me before you can sign this contract.

"I won't end up like José?" said the Arbolarbre, incredulous.

Oak raised his arms, palms up, “No, you'll end up rich and sated, I guarantee you. You’ll only have to stay 10 hours a day with me. "

The Arbolarbre heaved a sigh of relief. "Ah, 10 hours is really great, at the sawmill, I work 13-hour days."

Oak tells them "Let's leave before it gets too dark, we'll sleep at Yvard's ."

They crossed the snowy streets under a cloudy sky and did not arrive until evening. Darkness had set in, and the moonlight reflected in the snow. They arrived in front of the big house made of brown spruce wood where Yvard lived.

From outside, they could hear him snoring. They walked silently to the doorway made of white pine.

"How do we get in?" said the Arbolarbre with the woolen sweater.

"I got the keys, be careful not to make too much noise."

They entered the house.

They put their feet on a hardwood floor and saw in front of them a room with a red oak kitchen table and an oven made of bricks and tiles. The oven was built into the red brick wall of the room.

A book laid on the kitchen table, marked with a title in gold letters: “Numismatics for dummies. How to turn lead into gold.”

"What is that?" exclaimed one of the tree-men

The other gave him a disgusted look “No idea, it sounds like a book full of bullshit, turning lead into gold, he really thinks we’re idiots? Yvard is dumber than I thought.

Lead? But there are lead coins in town. It's suspicious.

"Nevermind, it's not important, let's go to sleep. We have a tough day tomorrow,” Oak said, heading to one of the bedrooms in the house.

"Aye. . Are there other rooms?« they said

"No, you gotta sleep on the floor," Oak replied with a disappointed pout.

They lay down on the hardwood floor as Oak came back to the table, grabbed the book, and consulted it.

There he discovered absurd techniques for transforming lead into gold.

But what if these techniques worked? If Yvard can actually make lead coins, that would explain why the Jefar family received lead money from this generous bunch of merchants. Tomorrow, I to5 to question Yvard .

Oak left the book and went to bed in his bedroom.

The two Arbolarbres woke up at sunrise. While they slept, a blanket had been put over them by Yvard. The blacksmith, well seated at the table, watched them get up, eating a stir-fry of tofu, spinach, and hazelnuts.

“Hello youngsters, I suppose that you’re my future apprentices, welcome to my place, make yourself at home. You can ask me any question,”he said in a reassuring voice.

The apprentices sat down at the table, a bowl of piping hot stir-fry waited for them at their place. Oak had remained in his room and was listening to them. 

“Yesterday we saw a book on the kitchen table about numinasta , numinastu or something like that. It claims to be able to turn lead into gold.” one of them said while eating.

Yvard gave them an indescribable look and said in a voice that sounded confident but gave off a hint of concern. “Ah, numismatics, it's a fiction book, entertainment. I work a lot, so I want to have fun in my spare time. This book promotes my creativity, it gives me, you see, a lot of ideas.”

A fictional book? Really? He's hiding something, Oak thought as he stood in his room.

So it helps you get better at blacksmithing?”

“We can say that,” said Yvard , shaking his head.

“So, I would like to read it.” one of the apprentices said cheerfully.

Yvard gave him a pained look. He looked out of the corner of his eye; Oak was coming out of his room to join them. “Ah, I'm afraid I only have one copy, anyway, the story is full of technical terms and the plot is not so good. You'll be bored to death and working hard for nothing, read something else."

Oak sat down at the table and went straight to the bowl of stir fry.

"So does it work?" says Oak curtly.

“Only to give me ideas. Turn lead into gold? Haha! You might as well turn chickens into lions; I'm not a wizard! joked Yvard.

" Hahahaha " laughed the others.

Yvard had no magical sap, this had pushed him to become a Blacksmith. If he had been a sorcerer, he could have, with luck, transformed lead into gold because luck magic sometimes made it possible to transform lead into gold thanks to the spell of alchemy, which was random like the other spells of this magical element.

Oak turned to his apprentices. He told them half in earnest, half in jest. "A creative, this Yvard” He gave them a concerned look. “ I'm done eating and we're going to the forge... I have something to talk to you about."

Oak finished his meal in a few bites and they went to the forge where they worked all day.

While the apprentices worked, Oak probed the forge for lead and gold but found no samples of either mineral or any suspicious signs indicating the use of luck magic, no shape-shifting animals, no residue of teleportation, no scent that made him change his mood, or any suspicious artwork, nor any sand. 

By the end of that day, the apprentices had learned everything Oak could teach them and had produced the nails and wheels needed for the order. The sound of the hammer on the anvil reverberated throughout the neighborhood

At the end of the day, Oak told them with pride in his eyes. . “Wow, you learn at lightning speed and work hard without complaining. What's your secret?"

The apprentices smiled at him, their faces full of gratitude. “We worked all our lives, we had to. . But we have never been offered such a great opportunity.

Oak told them, worried. “Such a great opportunity? I don't know, guys, Yvard’s hiding something; maybe the idea of turning lead into gold isn't so crazy after all. And for José, it must have happened. Keep an eye open, he must be hiding lead somewhere. And be careful to be paid in gold and not in lead. »

“We’ll be careful. We have our contracts. said the others.

The door to the forge banged open and tree-men dressed in the garb of the royal guard entered. Once inside the dusty place, they dusted off their clothing, scarlet robes streaked with purple and bearing the royal seal, a tree watering a garden.

“You seem busy as a beaver, this must be a large order. The reward must be great,” they said, looking eagerly at a work table where beautiful armors were laid, shimmering under the furnace’s light. 

“2000 floraux, a sum that greatly rewards the sap that we’ve sweated. .” replied Oak proudly.

A "guard" smiled at him, showing his black teeth. “We see that it isn’t paid in monkey money, we’d like to invite you to a party to reward you for your efforts for the city. You could dance in front of the buffet. [1]

“Dancing in front of the buffet seems very cheerful to me, will there be spinach salads?” said one of the apprentices, licking his lips.

"Oh yes, you're going to have fun and dance in front of the buffet while we butter the spinach[2]»

“We will gladly go to this party, where is it taking place?” said Oak, placing a finely crafted dagger set with sapphires on a hook.

The guard told him without taking his eyes off the dagger, “Do you know Oakcastle Castle where the garrison rests?”

“Ah, the famous castle in the forest.”

" Join us there at nightfall. we'll throw a big party [3]for you, " said the guard before walking past the dagger and putting it in his pockets, neither seen nor known.

What idiots, the garrison is not resting in Oakcastle. It always rests in town. It's suspicious… Especially since they want to take us through the forest.

The guards returned to where they had come from, leaving Oak and his gang alone in the forge.

Oak then saw that the dagger was missing and his suspicions were confirmed…. He turned to his companions and told them. “Arm yourself well, we’ll go to this castle and as they say, we’ll throw them a big party.” 

They looked at him in disbelief. " What do you mean?"

“I bet you that these men are bandits working for José and that they want to lure us there … But we’re the ones who will surprise them.”

“But why fight against them ?” One of the apprentices wondered.

Oak grabbed a sword and hefted it. "Would you refuse a bag of gold?" Would you refuse the bounty of 5000 floraux on their heads? With that, you could support your family for two years.”

The apprentices took a breath. " That much?” “We're in.”

Oak told them. "Not a word to Yvard,"

He left the forge, sword in hand, and led his companions to the warehouse where they armed themselves to the teeth.

Then they went to the marketplace, hired horse-drawn carriages there, and returned to the forge. There, they put their products and their weapons in the carriages, heading to Yvard’s house to claim their wages.

Outside, Yvard was clearing away the accumulated snow at the foot of his door. Oak got out of the carriage and approached Yvard. “Hello boss, we passed the test as requested, we would now like to receive our money.”

Yvard saw the product-filled carriages. He dropped his snow shovel, put his hands in his pockets, and handed Oak a purse overflowing with coins. “Bravo, Oak, I'm impressed, you persevered and found a way to complete your task. I thought you would give up from the start and yet you raised not just two arms, but six arms. »

Oak opened the purse and checked the coins, they were heavy and golden in color like real gold coins. He bit into one, the soft metal bent under his teeth. It's good gold...

Yvard turned to Oak's companions who had descended from the carriages and who were waiting for Oak. “Would these six arms now want to become permanent employees? You will receive as good a salary as him, if not better.”

 The master smith motioned for the men to follow him inside.

Inside the house, they negotiated the contracts while Oak waited for them outside.

They got out once the deal was done and started their journey to Oakcastle where the party would take placerecovering their weapons along the way but leaving behind the carriages.

They left the city to venture on foot into a forest of snow-covered conifers, plunged into darkness and mystery.

The companions could barely make out what lay in front of them, details fading into hazy shadows. The new moon cast only a vague silver glow on the white snow, which was not enough to reveal the secrets hidden in the darkness.

The companions ventured down a dirt road covered in snow. There, leaves rustled. 

"Did you hear that?" said an apprentice.

"Yes, it must be the wind, let's move on," said Oak, eager to find the bandits.

The companions resumed their journey and the sound of a falling branch startled them again, the sound being a little more audible than the previous one.

"You heard?"

“Must be them, beware,” Oak said, sword in hand.

Ready to fight, the two companions prepared their crossbows. The tension was palpable, Oak could hear their hearts racing and smell the sweat coming from their bark.

They continued to walk, remaining on high alert. 

A little further, boots creaked, reverberating the sound throughout the forest, and making their bark harden.

The companions put their hands on their weapons and looked out into the darkness. There was only snow and trees in front of them.

Suddenly, a dozen masked and armed Arbolarbres emerged from a thick, thorny bush that lay behind them.

They surrounded the three adventurers and aimed their weapons at them.

A tree-man stepped in front of them and placed his hand in front of him, his other holding an ornate, jeweled dagger.

“Stop, wealthy travelers, you who enter this forest must pay the passage fees to the great Holz, master of the brotherhood of mask wearers. We aim to restore the balance between rich and poor throughout Oakvalley. Give us your purse! »

The apprentices' faces paled and they dropped their crossbows, curling behind Oak.

“Give the mo.. mo …mo…né”

Oak fumed in rage upon seeing a large number of soldiers.

I should have recruited more people… I was impulsive… José is not even there…

Oak refused to give his change and told them. "Nope"

The apprentice blacksmiths cowered behind Oak, stammering and shaking like a leaf. “We will.. d.i.e, p.l.e.a.s.e”

Ah shit, they are in no condition to fight back. Fuck it, I have to give my purse. I’m gonna die if I fight. 

He handed them his purse, the coins thudding. "I'm honoring the fare, now leave us alone."

The bandits left Oak moneyless, disappearing into the shadows.

 Oak snapped. “I'll take back what's mine and put them all in jail. Fate will solve all of this, things will work themselves out."

His companions quaked, too terrified to answer. They walked the dirt road for several minutes in pure silence and saw a large burgundy stone castle in the distance.

They finally came to a stone bridge over a frozen river which lead to the castle's entrance. A thick, heavy sheet of darkness covered the castle and no smell or noise broke the silence.

"Let's sleep in the castle and look for them tomorrow," Oak suggested.

The companions ventured onto the bridge and arrived in front of an already open door. They entered a large room and beheld many portraits adorning the walls. Treemen from all eras were painted there. A layer of frost covered them. Lavish gold lamps hung down from the ceiling, and a greenish log lay on the blue hall rug.

  [1] Florestia bandit slang for “To go hungry” 

[2] Florestia bandit slang for “To earn a lot of money”. 

[3] Florestia bandit slang for “To beat you up”

0