Chapter 4 Highwaymen gotta pay
36 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4

Highwaymen gotta pay

Oak and his companions found the tree-man asleep, he looked like a black ash tree with bark covered in moss and a thin layer of frost. He was shirtless with no clothes and only wore winter boots and stockings. He held in his left hand an empty purse

Oak lightly tapped the individual on the shoulder. No answer.

He shook him. No response.

He shouted in his ear. No answer.

He stole his purse; the tree-man woke up.

The tree-man grabbed Oak's arm and tried to snatch the purse away from him. "Thief! Give me back my purse, you little ingrates! You’ve already stolen my dough and now you want to take away my dignity! Joquar’s dignity. »

Oak gave him the purse. “We didn't steal anything. We just woke you up. To be honest, what the hell are you doing here?"

 The tree-man checked the contents of the purse. "It's okay, there's one coin left." He replied to Oak, consternation on his face. "Some rascals invited me to a party here, but they beat me up instead. A good soul who kicks the bucket does not seems to bother them." »

“So you slept in the cold?” Oak said, grimacing as he listened to his story.

The tree-man removed a layer of frost from his bark and pulled off his wet boots and stockings, leaving him naked. "Yes, I slept in the cold. I'm hungry as ever and I can't even afford a loaf. I’ll always remember that motherfucker with the wolf tattoo."

Oak closed the castle door to keep the cold out. To keep warm, he imagined a flame burning in a hearth. Without realizing it, he was doing magic.

In the absence of incantations and due to the immaturity of his magical sap, he only conjured up a small flame that burned and dissipated into the air, bringing a warm breeze.

Oak asked him. “Is it a royal guard with a red and black mask?”

The Arbolarbre smiled at the touch of the warm breeze. He stared at Oak's red beanie, wanting to wear it for warmth. "Yes, and he has a wolf tattoo on his forehead, it’s howling at the moon… He also claimed to be part of a cult.”

“The Brotherhood of The Mask Wearers?” said Oak, putting his beanie on Joquar 's head. " Is it better?"

He rose to his feet and let himself be caressed by the warm breeze. “Yes, thanks for the beanie and the breeze. It comes back to me, I've heard that name somewhere before, a little bird told me that they are led by a certain José. Banditry, corruption, and assassination are their daily livelihood.

One of the apprentice blacksmiths tapped Oak on the shoulder.

Oak turned and looked at him.

The apprentice said “José? So he is indeed part of the Brotherhood of the mask wearers.

Oak nodded, frowning. “There are too many of them and you are too fearful. We need to recruit more people, but who would help us?

"Your family. I'm sure they would help us, they know the valley better than anyone and knows how to defend themselves.”

Oak sheepishly looked at the ground. "I'm sure they won't want me, they see me as a good-for-nothing and won't forgive me for having lost their money… They needed it so much to liberate the valley, especially since we were no longer receiving money from our donors.»

The apprentice gave him a pat on the back. “Keep hoping. Your family will understand when we tell them what you have done for us. You worked hard to honor this contract, nobody can say the same for José.

Oak looked up and gave him a weak smile. “You're right, we're going to get to the bottom of things even if it scares me. We're going to capture José. »

They crisscrossed the valley for two days and two nights, sleeping under the trees until they saw the Quercus family house.

They walked through cucumbers and tomato fields which were in good condition. At dinner time, they stopped in front of the house’s door. Oak put his key in the lock and walked into the dining room. It was then that he saw his whole family sitting at the table, still as united as before. His mother turned around and saw Oak.

She raised her hands to the sky as if to thank the lord. "Oh my God! John! Our son has come back.” She approached Oak and opened her arms wide. “Oh, my son, come into my arms. We have missed you so much."

Oak took her in his arms and hugged her gently.

" I love you."

It's nice to see you, Mom… I've changed. You and Dad will be happy.

John stayed at the table, eating a bowl of red bean salad.

He glared at Oak, taking a sour bite. "I didn't miss you. Where is my money? Show the purse before I kick your ass."

Still so stupid... hahaha. It's best just to laugh.

Oak chuckled "Hey John, there's not a penny left, they belong to José now."

Oak's father hit the table with his fist. “Who is this José? You didn't burn our money on gambling, I hope."

Oak smiled at him… “José, it's the bandit who threatened us and pilfered our money but he’ll pay for it. We tried to capture him for the bounty of 5000 floraux that was on his head and those of his gang.

John smirked. “5000 floraux, that much? So you tried?

One of the companions bowed to John, " Oak has struggled, you got no idea."

"Yes, Dad, I have changed," added Oak, smiling.

John answered him. "Really? Sorry.” He confessed. “ I love you, my son, come into my arms. You'll tell us about it later."

Oak and John hugged.

He truly has a heart of gold. He was right to treat me like that… You have to work in life. Finally, working is not so bad...

They sat down at the table and dined together. They had a good time. The family became acquainted with their new comrades, asking them questions about their life before they knew Oak, their encounters, and their life goals.

John stood up and gave Oak a standing ovation. "Well done Oak, I didn't know you could be so hardworking and resourceful, you didn't take their insults personally and you persevered until you convinced them to join you."

Cynthia, Regis, and Kelly all clapped their hands in approval. “Well done my son, well done, bro !. »

" Thank you, dad. Thank you family” said Oak, moved.

The Arbolarbre dressed in a merino wool sweater said. “Your son knows how to be resourceful when things get out of hand.”

“Tell me more,” asked Kelly. 

The apprentice bowed in shame. “ Well, he would have even stood up to bandits, but we were too scared” He apologized. “ I'm sorry, it's because of us that he lost the money.

Shocked, John Quercus knocked on the table. 

“I see, Arthurio. We're going to find this José, beat him up, and then hand him over to the royal guard and get the bounty. They will exempt us from our fine for having ratted out those frauds.” John said angrily.

Oak responded tactfully. "Good idea, Karel’s gonna be happy, and he'll leave us alone."

Worried, John said. "What would your boss think?"

Oak gave him a frank, piercing look. “He helped me a lot, but I didn't sign a contract with him. He paid me once, but who knows if he’ll do it again? He has already argued with his apprentices and pushed José to banditry, he exploits his employees under the pretext of providing them with work; I don't want to be like that."

John sped towards the exit and stopped in the doorway.

He turned to Oak and told him. "Okay, so let's get our money back, We'll put it back into our plans."

“What plans?” asked Oak.

He grabbed a bottle of wine lying on the table. “The plans to liberate the valley of course. We’re going to assassinate Xidor, Karel, and those damn nobles at the next banquet. Prince Atord shall rise.” 

"And how do you intend to assassinate Xidor?" asked one of the apprentices.

“ With hemlock…. We’ll mix it with wine. That’s why we need the money… to buy a good amount of it on the black market and to corrupt Xidorville’s guards.” 

“But Prince Atord is known to despise peasants!” protested the other apprentice, the one wearing a Merino vest.

“Perhaps, but he’ll change his mind when we’ll hand him the throne., Atord only wishes his brother’s death since he killed his wizard Ignis Succensio a few months ago.” The father whispered. “ He even forbade him to go to the ancient capital of Saint-Cèdre …”

Ignis’ magical powers had awakened at the age of eighteen in the middle of the Festival of the Birth Tree, at the solstice of Poussé season. That particular night had lasted twenty years for him.

The next day, the villagers found him at the foot of a huge tree. His features were no longer those of an eighteen-year-old Arbolarbre but rather those of an old tree-man. . Shortly after, these villagers, witnesses of this magical event, recommended his services to King Araison, father of Atord and Xidor. 

Around the table, John, Oak, and the apprentice continued to discuss Ignis.

Arthurio asked John. “But why would Xidor kill Ignis? And how would he have done it? Ignis was loved by everyone from Oakvalley to Saint-Cèdre .”

“My friends at the palace told me about the rumors, they say that Ignis would have discovered Xidor in the act” replied John.

"What act?" Oak asked.

John looked stern. "The worst sin of all...that of eating meat...People can't believe it but it's possible... "

"But there must be a way to get rid of him without killing him, right?" Oak asked.

John grimaced. “No, Oak. Killing him is the only solution. One day you’ll understand.”

Oak's father rose from his chair. He changed the subject. “Does your boss have any swords and armor left? We have to arm ourselves if we want to have a chance against these bandits.”

Oak smiled at him and replied… “Yes, there is a whole reserve stock at the forge, there are even some crossbows.”

John opened the door and looked at his other son. “Regis, do you want to come with us? It would make a great father-son activity for us. You can even tell the local girls about our battles. Imagine yourself, the courageous Régis who saves the city of Oakvalley from the yoke of brigands without morals to then free it from the tyranny of Xidor. »

Régis turned to his brother and he said in a jovial tone "Of course, when are we leaving?" I'll bring back your purse. »

Oak motioned for his brother to stay... “Bro…we need you on the farm, who's going to take care of it if we're all gone?”

“Kelly and Mom”. He said, convinced.

Oak sighed. “I know the girls know how to handle it but it won't be enough, they're going to need your manly strength. ! .”

Régis said with sadness “Ok. I’ll stay on the farm.”…

John glared at Oak. He left, slamming the door. 

He'll understand… I just have to give him time… I'm doing the best for bro… I wouldn't forgive myself if he died.

Oak apologized to Regis, speaking with a tremolo in his voice. "I'm sorry for my absence. I'll do my best to be an example, I'll do everything for you, even face an army. The robbers just have to behave themselves.

Régis smiled tenderly at him "Well, I changed my mind, Big Sleeper. I'm going to come…think about dad, you’d have to watch over him, he's getting old……"

Oak remained silent and left, accompanied by Regis and the two apprentices.

John was waiting for them outside, well wrapped up in his blue-dyed woolen clothes. Oak and Regis were also well dressed. The two apprentices accompanied them.

Under a cloudy Germé sky, they crossed the cucumber fields again, sleeping under the stars. After two days, they crossed the lake bridge and entered the city where the snowflakes were falling relentlessly.

They crossed some snow-covered streets and reached Yvard 's forge.

Yvard toiled away in the dark, working an ornamental sword, making sparks fly in the air.

Oak and his band entered the dark place and chatted in the light of the forge fire.

"Hello, sir, we're going to need your help. Do you know José?” said John respectfully.

Yvard retorted in a hoarse and snarling voice. “José? Are you talking about my former apprentice? What did he do?"

John said calmly. “Your former employee is suspected of leading a group of thieves. They loot people's property. He stole the purse you gave to my son.”

 Yvard said. "The purse with a thousand coins, I had taken so long to prepare it, it had cost me a sweat of lead.”

He calmed down and said. " What do you need?"

"We would like to have equipment, swords, shields, crossbows, armor, halberds, whatever you have."

He pointed to a building adjoining the forge. “I have everything you need here, arm yourself to the teeth. My ex-apprentice's heart is black as coal. He already tried to strangle me.”

They entered the rectangular building made of black stone. They saw a real show of steel there. Dozens of swords, shields, chain mail, clubs, halberds, and crossbows hung from hooks on the walls. Quivers full of arrows littered a ceramic table nearby.

          

Oak armed himself with a sword, a shield, and a coat of mail. His father with a coat of mail and a club while their three companions armed themselves with everything they could carry.

" Yvard, do you want to come with us?" said John.

 Yvard, forging, struck the sword with his hammer. He shouted at them. “No, definitely not. I'll let you take care of this freak."

Oak and his companions returned to town and investigated the brotherhood's suspicious activities. They were asking questions to passers-by when a black hooded tree-man came out from the back of an alley and approached them.

The suspicious tree-man whispered. “Hi, are you looking for the Brotherhood of Mask Wearers? I could tell you about it, but you got to follow me. Let's go to a restful place.”

The gang followed him to the Oakvalley Slums. The well-paved snow-covered streets gave way to alleys reeking of excrement and filled with decrepit huts.

They stopped in front of a large hut where their guide took the opportunity to remove his hood. His forehead gleamed in the nocturnal star’s light revealing a wolf howling at the moon. Before they could say anything, a collection of tree-men dressed in red and black masks emerged from the adjacent streets.

They surrounded them. The bandits did not move, their swords remaining in their scabbards.

A tree-man dressed in a plague doctor's costume emerged from behind the group.

He opened his mouth to speak, his breath smelling of rotten eggs.

“Your presence insults me”

Joquar aimed his crossbow at the man. " Insulted? I don’t care. You have violated our honor and stolen our fortune, we have come to recover them both.

Joquar aimed at the man and fired. The crossbow bolt stuck in his leg, making him scream in pain.

" Aargh , Aargh ."

"Save José!"

The masked Arbolarbres charged at the group. They brandished their swords which clashed with the group’s weapons. 

Oak confronted José and tried to disconcert him with the flat of his blade.

José blocked the attack and swung his blade at Oak's head.

Oak dropped like a potato and tripped him.

José fell to the ground

“Bang”

Oak grabbed him by the neck and lifted his mask.

The young Arbolarbre carved a scar on his opponent’s face. 

A taste of blood mixed with sweat washed over the bandit's mouth.

Oak rested his blade on the bandit leader's neck.

"Drop your weapons or I will slit your leader's throat."

The bandits ceased the fight.

Oak smelled urine and rot.

A yellowish puddle stained José’s crotch. 

Oak laughed heartily. “ Hahaha, Little José pissed in his pants. What a grownup. Give me back my purse.”

José dropped his dagger which hit the ground. *Dang*

Exhausted, José said. “ Yvard …. Yvard never pays his dues, I gave the innkeeper one of those coins the other day, and bam, I got kicked out for counterfeiting. I just wanted to spend a little while as a bandit until I got over it, but here I am forced to be one forever; I’m the most wanted.”

“Give him back to Karel, he's a rascal, and his word has no value. That cursed Karel will leave us alone and give us the money.”

Oak replied. “Let go, he might be right, the boss always had a sleazy side. We’re gonna bring him and see who tells the truth. If he’s right, we could let him go.”

Oak pulled off the plague doctor mask. José appeared as he is. He had a mullet haircut consisting of mauve-colored leaves and violet-colored eyes.  His back and shoulders were covered with the down of an unknown bird. 

Oak and John tied him up and shoved him forward with the tip of their blade. They walked through the streets of the ghettos under the gaze of certain passers-by.

Passers-by murmured among themselves. “Yesterday they arrested smugglers. Today it's José. Soon they’ll be coming for us, the new captain of the royal guard won’t let anything hinder his chances of promotion. »

The gang finally reached the forge and saw Yvard working the iron in the dark.

John advanced towards Yvard. He told him in a voice laced with sarcasm. “Hello, we would like to introduce you to a great man, oh when two such great men meet, history is written. A beautiful story, as beautiful as the promise of a mountain of gold coins. A lie, a venom, like lead in wine. And what happens when the truth hits? We never get back up as shot full of lead.”

John threw the purse violently, the lead coins and the single gold coin of the package twirled through the air and landed at Yvard’s feet. 

The mustachioed tree-man watched the purse fall and then looked up until his gaze met his former apprentice's.

“ Jo...Jo …José! I didn't mean to fool you, I swear!"

José looked at him cruelly. “It's been a while, boss, we see that you have a nerve. Turning lead into gold, what genius! Paying without paying and stealing your apprentice, what genius! The honorable citizen becomes the brigand, and the brigand becomes the honorable citizen. It is, therefore, as an honorable citizen, that I find you guilty of forgery. You force my hand.”

Oak freed José and handed him his dagger.

The group moved across the black ceramic floor and surrounded the blacksmith, leaving him no escape. They grabbed his arms and held him in place. The leader of the robbers grabbed his sword and cut off the right hand of his former boss.

Yvard cried out, his stump oozing sap from the cut, his hand breaking away from the rest to fall to the floor. A burning, throbbing sensation invaded the boss's mind and he knelt.

“Argh, how can you do this to me. I have always treated you well. I have treated you as my sons."

Oak spat. “Because of you, I lost one year of my life without being paid; my family is facing life in prison and you're crying for losing a hand?” He snapped. “Well treated? You exploited us like slaves. ? You treated us like slaves. You deserved to be in jail, yet we let you go. We’re only paying you back in your own coin.”

The other apprentices came forward and tore up the document given to them by Yvard. "The contract we signed is no longer worth anything, we're leaving"

John turned to José, “Thank you, José, but my son is too good. We have to think about us”

He grabbed his steel mace and knocked José out with one blow.

He tied him up again.

Oak opened his hands in confusion. “Why did you do that? He helped us punish our former master. He certainly doesn't deserve this."

John responded with violence. “Son, we need the money. That bastard Karel and his tree-men will certainly not tolerate anyone returning empty-handed. It's not by smiling and saying "Please" that they will let us go. We need to bring them a public enemy, period.”

Oak gave his father a puppy dog look. "Forgive him, he killed no one, we’ll find a solution."

“There are not 36 solutions, there is only one and it is there. I’ll never let my family go to prison like the Jefars. They will have to pass over my body.”

Oak was speechless. 

“The wolves are supposed to pass in three days. We're going back to the farm." Said, John. 

"But Yvard ?"

John chuckled sardonically. “The boss will need a hand, haha. Joquar, call a doctor. The doctor might freak out, haha, if he pays him in monkey money.”

"Okay, I'll go get him," replied Joquar.

It’s in your hands. We're going back to the farm,” said John.

"Perfect, if you have any problems, come and see us here," said the apprentice blacksmiths.

John and Oak grabbed José by the shoulders and lifted him to his feet. At the contact of their fingers on his bark, it regained consciousness, grumbling. * hurr * 

John pointed his sword at him, forcing him forward… The bandit crossed the door cursing the father of the Quercus family. “Bastard, I will break out of the king's prisons and kill you…I have contacts in high places…”

Oak and John did not deign to respond to his comment and led him outside the forge. They tied him up and gagged him.

In silence, they walked for two days to reach their house. When they arrived, they went inside and sat down at the table while keeping an eye on José. They began to plan the next day's meeting with Karel.

“What would Karel do if the prisoner was handed over to him? We're going to practice with me as the big bad wolf."

They practiced for a few hours until John was satisfied.

"You see, I'm sure Karel will be happy to have the prisoner brought back to him." He said finally. 

“Dad, I'm not so sure… The wolf sometimes kills for pleasure.”

John moved closer to his son and hugged him. “Everything will be fine, keep faith. Tomorrow, a new day dawns for our family.”

Karel showed up the next day with his troops. He dismounted from his horse and surveyed the cucumbers and tomato fields before the eyes of John and Oak.

“You have a good harvest this year, worthy of the king. Now I would like to know where my money is.”

"There it is."

John presented his purse to the head of the Harvester of the Plant Faith. 

Karel shook the purse, making it ring *Dang, Dang. He started shaking with rage. “Lead coins… What a cheek! For people like you, prison will only be a stepping-stone before hell, and I do not even know if hell will want you. You failed your duty.”

John tried to calm him. "Wait. We have something that will put you in a good mood.”

The man brought José in, forcing him to look the tax collector in the eye.

“This man is José, one of the crown's public enemies and the most wanted man in all of Oakvalley. We may have failed in our duty, but we will fulfill another… Now hand over our horses to us.”

Ah, they captured you, José…. If at least I could have helped you not to become a bandit…. Karel thought.

Karel replied “Unacceptable! I need the whole gang of actors, José's head is only worth a few hundred floraux at most, the merchants' guild will be pissed. How will the king now fill his coffers?”

“By spending less on stupid parties,” retorted Oak.

 

"The king never does anything stupid!" He planned to spend his days in joy and glee. You know, crumbling under complaints isn't exactly the definition of joy and glee, isn’t it Quercusses? Bunch of complainers! I’ll ruin your existence! You’ll join the Jefar !”

John grabbed Oak by the arm and waved him away. Oak nodded.

I have to save myself with bro and the others or we'll all die. The king will kill us like he probably does with those horses.

Oak took to his heels and headed for the farm.

Karel's men followed him but John got in their way. Ready to fight, he took out a club. “I see that his holy majesty invites us to visit his magnificent apartmentsHow kind, but I have to refuse… You'll have to pass me over my body first, rascal! DEATH TO XIDOR!”

"Guards, show those hicks the generosity of King Xidor Cèdre"

Karel and his men beat up Oak's father. He fell to the ground, next to José.

Half of Karel's men tied John up and put him on one of their mounts. Karel and the rest of his men mounted their horses and rode after Oak, leaving José to get away.

"Not my children..." grumbled John in a low voice as he saw the horses leave.

Karel and his men spotted Oak running through a tomato field.

They approached and put a lasso around his neck.

Oak fell to the ground, crushing a few tomatoes.

He begged on his knees, hands in front of his eyes, “Let me go back to live with my family… We had plans together. »

Karel hit him with all his might. “You’ll never see your family again as long as His Majesty lives… He has plans for you… 

"What Plans," Oak growled, gritting his teeth.

Oak's reddish bark took on a purplish hue and it bled, spilling green sap onto the ground. Karel took out a bottle and picked up a few drops of sap that he would use later. 

He tied up Oak and made him climb behind him, on his mount

Then, Karel and his men attacked the farm and kidnapped the whole family in front of John's eyes.

It's unfair... but such is the world... The strong crush the weak. If only I could talk to my contacts at the palace to get ahead of the plans.

Karel and his men escorted Oak's family to a location known only to King Xidor Cèdre's close guard while Oak was taken away from his family. By doing this, Xidor could maintain his image as a generous and merciful king, that wanted the best for his people. He loved his people and his people loved him, what wrong could he do? But his people were wrong about him…. dead wrong… 

1