Working in the Mines 2
16 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, or what felt like the next day to Theo the man who was in charge of the slaves came once again. He cracked his whip to his pleasure, hitting a slave he didn't like and then instructed them to move towards yesterday's place. There they continued to work backbreaking labor of digging the rocky walls and taking that rock to a gathering spot. It was soul breaking for a man like Theo to work in these conditions, but he didn't mind as he was burning with passion at the moment.

*Tack*

' Fucker...I'll kill you.' thought Theo as he looked at the man who beat him yesterday. It was painful to work with all the bruises he had, but the bruise to his ego was the biggest. He couldn't even speak a single word since he had been beat, because if he did he would only seem like a sore looser now. 

' Haaaa....fuck! Besides working in this shit hole  I also have to deal with this. I don't know why he did that, but it surely wasn't random at all, I certain.'

Theo finished filling his woven basket with rocks before heading towards the gathering spot. As he headed along the tunnel he noticed someone coming and slowed his pace down to let him pass and looked at him with the corner of his eye, only to immediately recognize him.

"Heh...calm down, I'm not going to do anything."

 The one who was behind him was the man who held him back yesterday.

"You...." was the only thing Theo could say as the man came closer and closer. This made Theo more stiff, but the man passed him without doing anything. As he passed Theo though several words reached Theo's ear.

"When you do your next route, wait for me."

".......

This made Theo's heart beat hard as he looked back to see if anyone was behind him and when he turned again the man was far away. He squinted his eyes as his mind raced, but he still continued forward with a glint in his eyes. He didn't know what the man wanted to tell him, but he wanted to listen.

*Tack tack tack....

Theo continued to break the rocky wall in front of him, but this time he did it in the same place as the man. He loaded the rocks on his basket and as soon as the man moved Theo followed. The man forward and Theo a little further back moved through the tunnel until the man slowed his pace and Theo caught up.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" said Theo to the man who just smiled and moved , but not before slowing his pace more.

"Heh, I'm glad you didn't get frightened before. I at least though you would hesitate a little, but I guess you have guts. Also, try to speak as quietly as possible."

Theo nodded.

"So, what did you want to talk about? Is it something to do with yesterday?"

"Yesterday, yes....something related to that, but something more. It's kinda hard to explain , but I'll make it short and simple. 

Not many days before, only two days before they brought you here someone I considered about, a friend died after a mineshaft collapsed. I'm now alone which as you experienced is not a good thing." said the man with an angry voice " That guy who beat you up yesterday is a part of a group of three so no one dares to mess with them. Also, they do some of the Handlers, the man with the whip dirty work. So do you understand?"

Theo immediately noded in understanding as he put two and two together.

"....... You mean, that the beating I received was because of the Handler?"

"Well, partially. If they brag to the Handler that they gave you a lesson they will surely get something it return. A piece of bread, water, maybe even some calming grass....heh....I could go for some myself, but alas."

"That so..." muttered Theo between gritted teeth.

"That is so! Sooo, how about we form an alliance between the two of us? It's better for someone to have your back isn't it? What do you say?"

..........

And so several more days passed as Theo slaved in the  dark tunnels of the mine and he once again prepared for one more of those days, but it was different. This time they weren't taken to their usual spot, but instead they were all taken outside the mines.

"This.....

As soon as Theo was outside he was greeted by the shining sun that was in the sky and couldn't help but raise his hand to block it. It was to bright, but the warmth that it brought Theo was exhilarating.

"Move it, don't stand there!" shouted the Handler and they all moved forward, all looking around. Theo though was the one who was the most amazed.

 They seemed to have just come out of the base of a small rocky hill and we're in the middle of what could be called a military camp. Numerous bug and small tent's were seen in the distance with more numerous soldiers strolling about. It was a completely  breathtaking view as it made Theo's heart clench, and his hope of maybe escaping this place only a fleeting dream.

' Now I understand why Silo said to forget about escaping and refused to elaborate more. He must have known...' thought Theo as he looked at the back of the man he had befriended, Silo. Silo was an old timer in this place compared to the others and knew the things to do and not do, something Theo appreciated very much.

And so, they and several more slaves that came from different entrances of the mines gathered in one circle , but this time they were surrounded by more than thirty fully equipped soldiers with big tower shields in front of them. They looked tough and experienced in what they were doing with their long spears which they pointed towards them, so no one dared to look them in the eyes.

Theo retreated to one side of the circle with Silo and started whispering.

"Hey Silo, these guys seem tough. Do you think you can take one of them?" jokingly said Theo to relieve the tension , but the response he received wasn't what he expected. Silo's face became serious as he looked at Theo's eyes.

"Laison, may this be the last time you ask that, because it may as well be."

"Huh...I didn't mean to offend you. I just...uhhh...." Theo tried to explain himself knowing that he may have offended Silo who was one a deserter of the  Empires army, but he just didn't find the words.

"Hey, Silo, I didn't mean to make fun , I was just joking. It was a joke."

"Hmp, a joke it may have been, but I don't think they will take it as such. These bastards that are guarding us right now are the elite of the army and their pride is as large as their skills. If they even hear someone saying that they are stronger than them, a duel is on the way. For a slave like me it may as well be death."

"......

Theo was left speechless for a second from Silos words , but he soon recovered and smiled.

" Heh, I'm in awe of your resilience, I really am. I don't really know why someone who knows the situation as well as you would still hold so much hope, but I guess it's not a bad thing. Hope dies last; or so they say."

"Heh, hope...."Silo also smiled and both of them laid down on the ground. The smells, the feeling of the wind on their skin was so reliving that it almost made them forget of their predicament. 

"Hmmmm.....

As Theo was looking at rocks on the ground he saw a strangely spherical one and picked it up. He brought it to his face and rubbed it between his palms before blowing on it with a smile.

' I reminds me when I played 'Holes' with the neighborhood kids. Heh...those were the times.'

2