Chapter 8: Closure
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“Stay put. I’ll see if master is home,” the vampire said before turning toward the door of the large mansion.

I knew this graveyard was home of fallen vampires. The mansion next to it belonged to an ancient vampyre, but I did not know who it was.

He knocked on the door as if it was customary for the vampires here to be cordial. If it were me and Chris, I would walk right into his home. No need to be polite.

There was no butler who answered the door. Instead, the old vampyre stood. A creature I’d never met in all my decades.

“Sir, apologies for the interruption.” The other motioned toward me. “There is someone here wanting to meet with you.”

The ancient one tipped his head. “Very well, Judas.” He glanced at me with dark, red eyes. “Ah, I can sense his power... Lucious LaCroix, correct?”

I swallowed. “Yes, sir.” Slowly, I made my way up the stairs with Angel following close behind. “And you are?”

He cocked a smile. “The name’s Sir Dregan Horcutt.” He led us inside, and immediately the gorgeously decorated, immense home brought gasps behind me—I was sure Angel had never seen anything like it.

It reminded me of Serena’s mansion, yet without the constant looming depression.

“And you should be at slumber, Lucious.”

I let out a faint chuckle. “Yet, I am not. I woke to find myself here in this strange world. Without my partner—“

“Partner?” Sir Dregan raised a brow. “Strange how things happen in such ways. You’ve awoken too early. Perhaps it was meant to be.”

I sighed. “What do you speak of? Such drivel.”

Dregan let another sly smile twist his lips. “Is it now? Perhaps you have questions then as to why you’re here, but I cannot answer them. I am not your master. She is dead.”
“Then where is Chris Moreaux? Surely he would—”
“At slumber, which is where you should be.” He laughed. “So full of wonder, and yet no answers suitable for you.”

“Should you help me answer these questions, then?” I asked. There wasn’t much left but to get on my knees and beg. I needed to know where Mikael was. I couldn’t care less about anyone else.

Dregan stood silent a moment, while I garnered attention from everyone around me. Judas was alight to the happenings, while Angel stood at awe about everything. Mostly, I felt fear in him, maybe at the vampire behind him or the vampires in front of him. At every corner there was danger. I shouldn’t have involved him.

“Very well. There is a way,” Dregan answered at last. “Follow me.”

“Umm,” Demetrius spoke up. “I’ll stay here with the human, if that’s cool.”

“No!” Angel gasped.

“That’s not necessary. The human goes where I do,” I said.

Demetrius clicked his tongue but accepted. He stayed back while we followed Dregan across the mansion’s plush carpeted floor into the living area.

“And such an interesting human you have found,” Dregan said as he led us towards a staircase. “A medium, no less. Where did you find him?”

“It’s no matter to you, sir.” I wasn’t about to get Angel any more mixed up in all this than he already was. Strangely, he followed us without much of a whimper as if he trusted me with his life. I wasn’t sure how I’d gained that much faith after all I’d done to him so far.

We were led downstairs into a vault underneath the mansion. There wasn’t much there, not like the complicated mess that was Chris’ laboratory or Serena’s dungeon. It was quite plain with a few coffins scattered about, and a sitting area in the middle. There were two other closed doors which I was sure held some kind of secrets.

“So you truly wish to learn what happened?”

I nodded.

“It could hurt to find out. Not physical pain either, but emotional... A pain so great,” Dregan stopped to ease a breath, “no vampire has felt since their days as a human.”

“It’s a good thing I’m used to such aches. You see, my entire existence has been nothing but pain. Through my human life and now my vampire days...” I lowered my head and my voice, “Do whatever you must.”

Dregan stepped toward me. “Very well. Close your eyes and do not flinch. Remember this could cause some distress.”

His fingers touched my face, brushing across my cheeks and up to my eyes. I did as he instructed, readying myself for whatever may come. For a moment, nothing came but the quiet sound of Angel’s breath. Then... flashes of light that quickly turned to darkness.

“I see... Strife. Too much of it...”

 

*****

“This is crazy!” The human next to him exclaimed. “I... I’m not sure what to think.”

“See, vampires can do a lot other than drink people’s blood.” Judas chuckled. “What do you think? Want to try it?”

“Hell no!”

0