Chapter 9: fear, regret, loneliness
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Yes. I see... Strife. Too much of it...” Dregan’s words flitted through my subconscious. Soon, it was Mikael’s voice... “You cannot be a burden.

A burden? Was I truly a burden to him for all those years? The short months we were together, and the years we were apart... The denial, the blood bond, the consistent trouble we found ourselves in over and over again...

Then the memories flickered forth through my mind. Those memories of when we met again and he agreed to the blood bond faded to pictures of Serena, Chris, Sebastian, and Nadia.

What had happened to those faces while I was gone? Serena was dead, I knew, but what of Chris or Sebastian or Nadia or all those other vampires?

Suddenly, more pictures flooded my memories one by one. The whole wave of them taking my breath away...

There I was with Mikael in my arms. He was doubtful of our reunion after losing our blood bond, but I was hopeful. I could feel the connection remained even after so long. And still, the bond was still there, wherever he was... Could he feel it, too?

And then my mistake—teaming up with Chris, giving Mikael luce, drugging him and taking him back to Chris’ mansion. What the hell was I thinking?

Or was I really thinking at all? The damn luce coursed through my veins every day, every night, and Mikael had no clue of my promise to Chris. My true intentions, altered by the drugs Chris poisoned me with constantly.

And when I wouldn’t comply, Chris was too powerful against me. Somewhere he’d learned to control me just by a wave of the hand. A magic, perhaps? Or was it something to do with the drug I was fed every night?

That I will never know or understand, but of course in this world, there are things I will never comprehend.

Next came the first and only time Mikael and I shared each others company, but at a dire price. Chris watched the entire time—I’m sure he was excited as he sat still in his chair.

It was... disgusting having to succumb Mikael to it. But as the memory came and went, I recalled it was Mikael himself who seduced me into it. Of course, with the luce’s help... that damn drug!

As that memory faded... Who was this suddenly appearing? And the voice that came to me as the memory strengthened.

“Chris. At last, you come to visit me.” The man circled the room. “You brought guests… Your clan, perhaps?”

I wanted to snap, to tear off that man’s arm, but I couldn’t. I was frozen?

“You have betrayed me, Chris.”

“M-Master… if you may let me explain?”

“My blood, your blood, what the hell are you doing to the mixture?”

“Sir, I—“ Chris tried to speak again, but was cut off.

This man, this vampire, must have been someone strong. Someone special perhaps, but I barely recognized him. He was... Chris’ maker.

“Kneel before me,” Raphael ordered.

We quickly did as he commanded. Raphael tugged off his coat and tossed it to his desk. It was Chris he went to first.

“You’ll never disobey me again, got it?” Raphael spoke strongly. “I commend you for the attempt, but now, I must take over for it is my turn.” He held his hands to Chris’s face, slowly covering his eyes with his fingers. “Sleep, my child.”

Raphael straightened and approached me. I swallowed as his fingers twitched near my temples, and he reached out to Mikael with his other hand. “Sleep...”
Never! I cannot take orders from him. I would never do what he...

But as hard as I tried, the more sleep came over me. A lost experience I hadn’t found for decades finally took hold. The wonderful, but frightening word. Sleep.

 

Sleep...

0