Chapter 20: Addicted to a Certain Kind of Sadness
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

I awoke to the maddening sound of silence and a headache that could kill a human. As I opened my eyes, I realized the reason for such pain. The colors in my vision were brighter -- reds were blinding, blues were depressing, whites were like clouds...

It all brought me back to eight years ago, when Chris had used me as a test rat to experiment with those drugs. He'd given me so many, I could barely stand. Or speak. Or control myself around others, including Mikael.

Yet, this slight tingle sweeping down my spine was much gentler than before. Cooler, like the drug was coming on softly. No, it had already taken affect. But one thing was the same as always, the strange and even exciting quiver between my legs.

"What the fuck?" I breathed.

Just then, I noticed it. The pressure against my back. The whisper of a breath coming from behind me. I turned to see him.

"Mikael?"

He grumbled, opening his eyes to take me in.

"You're here."

"You're..." He jumped up from the floor. "No. No, no, no. W-where am I? Wh-what happened?"

"Calm down. It's going to be alright." Although I didn't know that myself.

As I tried to take him into my arms, he jerked away and swiftly got up on his knees. "This... no. What is this? Everything is... different."

"Mikael?"

"Leave me alone!" he screamed, pushing me away. "I-I gotta get out of here!"

"Mikael, take it easy--"

"Get away from me!"

He stood and ran out the door. I struggled up on shaky legs, unsure how he could even stand. Surely, they had given him the same drug.

"Please, let me see you," I pleaded.

"Don't you understand? Leave me alone!"

I stepped back in shock. Mikael had never acted like this towards me before, even after all the shit I'd put him through in the past. Granted, he'd be upset about that but was he still mad?

Or had he lost his memories again?

"Mikael. It's me... Lucious."

He huffed. “I know who you are...”

"I... I don't know what's happening. Everything is so... bright. It's giving me a damn headache."

Carefully, I took a step toward him. "That's because they drugged you. It's a normal reaction to the luc--"

"Luce? No. No! Not again."

Again?

"Mikael, just listen. We must get out of here. Find somewhere safe. Then I can explain everything to you."

"No. I... I don't need your help."

"But--"

"Just leave me alone!"

Mikael darted up the stairs, and I realized where I was at last. Dregan's. He did this to me and Mikael. Just like Chris and Raphael, this entire clan was full of lies and hatred.

"Don't come after me," Mikael warned as he reached the door. "I don’t need your help."

"But Mikael, I--"

"What is going on here?" A voice from behind stopped me.

As I turned to Dregan approaching, the door creaked open, and a cool draft hit my back. I couldn't just let Mikael walk away, but as I tried to follow him, Dregan hollered to stop me.

"Let him go."

"I can't!"

"You must," Dregan warned.

"But I'm his creator." His lover.

"Now then, there’s no requirements touting the master to lead his creation every step of the way? He's a grown vampire now, not some child. Give him space."

"But--"

"Have you forgotten? I saw inside your memories. I know all about Mikael, the denial, and your grief of leaving him in such state. That grief ate you up for twenty years, but when you finally found him again, the reunion didn't go so well," Dregan explained it like he was there, living it with me.

I wanted to scream. How could I have let this vampyre into my thoughts like that?

"Relax," he smiled. "I didn't read Mikael's thoughts if that's your worry. No, I know enough about you both from your memories. You love him but want him to be free of such emotions. However, then you don't. You want him to love you back."

"Can I just leave now?"

"Wait. Let him go first. I know for a fact that when you open that door, you'll be chasing him around like a puppy who's lost their way."

I furrowed my brow. This vampyre was truly something else.

"You know nothing about me," I grumbled. "You think you do, but you're mistaken. Sure, I let you read my memories but nothing else. You don't know my emotions, my power, my pa--"

"Your past is what created you, Lucious. The harsh beginnings living on the streets as a child. Then, the cold, dark years of your denial at Serena's. Afterwards, the decades you spent at Chris' side, learning such acts of debauchery and corruption. I'm truly surprised you were able to live through it all." Dregan tipped his head. "No wonder you want to find a permanent partner in Mikael. You need the affection you never had. But does he really need you?"

I snarled... Was he right?

0