CHAPTER 10: An Unpredictable First Time
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

"Hello, my dear class!" an unexpected greeting from their teacher, Mr. Travis, as he hastily opened the door, smiling. "How are you all?"

He looked sweating but his all-over appearance seemed stable. This made the students question even more. Where was he gone for earlier? Why did he even come back? What does his presence mean this time? Although some of the students were curious, some were not. While others really don't care at all, as others don't seem to be aware at all.

"Where the heck did you go?" Terfinn asked, putting his hands on his waist like a strict mom.

Others were stupefied about the sudden appearance of Mr. Travis, yet they stayed apathetic about it. Earlier, he may be finally decided not to come back since he was so eager to run outside. But the words he left them before he vanished made the class grow doubts. That's why they may be predicted this already.

"Sorry if I worried my students."

Apologizing to cover what he did might be a wise choice. What Mr. Travis replied doesn't seem the precise word to describe his sudden disappearance, although a mere excuse justified it somehow. Subterfuge or not, people rather not care at all, at least for this moment. What Mr. Travis did earlier was the question.

Shortly after, Terfinn scoffed, shrugging his shoulders to as disagreement. "Who said you worried us? It's not worth a penny to worry about you." Planning to go back to his seat, a click of tongue emitted through Terfinn's mouth as he turned his back from Mr. Travis.

Meanwhile, Mr. Travis just smiled. Although that expression of his is what he always shows all the time, there's no telling what his real thoughts are behind his every simper. There's no single second he would appear gloominess and blue, but even so, human is a human. Circumstances may occur he might be feeling other emotions besides being positive. But possibility may occur, his presence of being favorable really doesn't have solid intentions at all.

"Mr. Travis Mortal," a certain person assuredly approached Mr. Travis. With the person's hand loosening up for warm greetings, Mr. Travis then tried to cast a fleeting glance towards him. Even if it might be the first time Mr. Travis happened to meet this guy, it could be also his first time facing an approachable student like him in this classroom.

The person, Victor, who was willing to strike a bargain, confidently faced the person in front of him that's possibly familiar in his eyes. He knew for sure that he saw him in a once certain place. Or maybe not? Was the person he saw that day the same as this person he's facing at the moment? Or was he just imagining things?

"I assume you knew me already. I am Victor Villegas. Nice meeting you."

"Likewise." Smiling still, Mr. Travis reached his hand to meet Victor's, "Nice meeting you, my beloved Victor. Were you late in coming here?"

Before they continued their conversation, Monika stepped in between them making their hands completely got separated. As she confronted Victor, she threw a brief glare towards Mr. Travis and spoke back to Victor, "Are you out of your mind? Why are you shaking hands with him?"

"Because I just met him...?" he shrugged without an expression on his face. That unusual answer of his made Monika boil in anger. But to keep it cool, she just let it slide.

"You know we're talking about him right now, right? What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking maybe you could step away first...? I have something urgent to discuss with him."

And just like that, the air started to feel cold between them. Both seemed desperate; one is desperate to talk to Mr. Travis, and one is desperate to get Victor's attention. That might be possible though, at least from what Mr. Travis could tell.

"And why is that? Are you planning something?"

"Yes, I am."

"What is it?"

"Before I tell you, can you please get out of my sight?"

A not-so-wise word that came out of his mouth made Monika's chest rise. A boiling fury swelled within the inside of her. As her pulse sped up and breathed very shallow, Victor left her standing there fuming.

Their classmates just stared at them looking so amused by their show. It's been a while since they had been like this with each other. Long story short, Monika is so into Victor, while as for Victor, no one could tell what he felt towards her. Meanwhile, Mr. Travis still tried to step in between the two to stop their quarrel but he just couldn't find the right timing to do so.

"I don't know what got into you since last week. But all I can say is that you're literally an asshole just like this bastard behind me," Monika continued, clenching her fists as she looked down.

Victor still gave her a cold stare. "I was not asking for your opinion but thanks. I appreciate it."

With that, Monika ran away from their classroom, crying while feeling discomfort. "Asshole!" She was so infuriated while Victor just didn't mind her at all.

"M-Monika! Wait!" her friends then worriedly followed her outside.

This isn't the first time she felt rejected by him.

It's not her fault she fell for Victor, and it's not his fault too. But even so, she couldn't help but forgive him. Ever since the first time she met him, she had this feeling of comfort for the first time in her life. For the first time in her life, she felt the freedom she had ever wanted. She met the savior she highly looked up to. She coincided with the feeling of being protected she sought for a long time. And she felt like she was finally found after being lost.

And as for Victor, meeting her was just a coincidence. He believed that meeting her was just part of his everyday life where he could meet random people around. There's no meaning behind their connections, that's all... at least for him. Ever since they met for the first time, he deemed that Monika was just another person that could ruin his life. And he always supposed that what he perceived will always be true.

In the meantime, Victor just sighed after witnessing the drama they made. "So, back to where we left off. Can I ask you a favor?" He referred to Mr. Travis.

"Oh, before that. Did you inform your classmates about this?"

"Inform them what?"

"That you're going to ask my presence upon tomorrow's event...?"

A gasp of stunned. "Y-You knew?"

"Of course! I have every knowledge about this world," Mr. Travis confidently stated.

That's when Victor knew it really won't do any good in underestimating him. What were his classmates thinking? Mr. Travis seemed pretty clever and original, clear-sighted and wise. And most of all, he's a genius based on his character. Even his aura seemed tolerably rare for a normal person. Why haven't they seen this obvious side of him?

Victor hesitated, feeling uncertain as Mr. Travis's flourishing eyes studied him. "May I know your response?"

Mr. Travis looked down, thinking yet still grinning. "My aim is to protect my students upon this unfair system. It's just like... protecting the people against this world, not protecting the world against its people."

Looking so confused, Victor asked, "What's that supposed to mean?"

Rather than answering him, Mr. Travis just continued saying his thoughts. When an idea came up to his mind, he spoke, "But I have to apologize, Victor..."

Victor paused, waiting for Mr. Travis's final statement.

"I am not going."

Life can be exciting and unpredictable sometimes, it keeps surprising us and keeps showing up. Although it was the first time Mr. Travis declined such an urgent offer, his answer was undeniably unpredictable yet at the same time, exciting too.

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Enjoyed the chapter? Don't forget to hit the like button and drop your thoughts in the comments.

If you want to access more of these chapters, kindly join my:

Patreon: 
GallantLassGL

Ko-fi: 
GallantLass

Thank you!

1