CHAPTER 51: Cat-and-Dog Relationship
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the office of the President of the Strategic Intel Organization (SIO), Lachlan, the Unit President of the SIO, processed every input his men have reported to their agency. With the help of his men, he tried conducting the following; a bomb attempt happened in the Southeast part of their region, and the assassination occurred in the testimonial of one of his clients, Robert Parkinson, at the Supreme Court. These incidents occurred within a day, the assassination and the terror attack. Into the bargain, Robert Parkinson was a farmer who claimed to be the rapist of an 8-year-old girl, Jessica. But then it was a false accusation so Lachlan volunteered himself to have this farmer as his client. Robert Parkinson's case took 2 months for Lachlan to defend him, yet during his testimony, he was killed. There's nothing to be surprised about since this is counted as part of his job, but then within such a day---how did this happen?

After operating the necessary point as of the current, Lachlan leaned the back of his head to his swivel chair, closed his eyes, and sighed in aghast. As the computer monitor still running with so many codes, he never knew that both of the cases they have been executing were connected and led to one person. Not that it's a good thing, and not that it's a bad thing as well. But to think that only one person did this...

Since it happened in the southeast part of their region, not to mention it was an amusement park, many children were injured badly. Luckily, the rescuers arrived on time because if no one would save them, it might be the end of Lachlan's carrier... since an Elite should act like an elite, not some dumb dude. Locals vendors, parents, and visitors there were also impaired and some were now unconscious in hospitals as well. 

Moments after, the phone over his office table rang so loudly that he leaped the nerve in his body and awoke from drowsiness. Annoyed, he took his phone and read the registered name on his phone screen. This time, he clenched his jaw with a hostile glare as he knew it was from a colleague. An annoying colleague, perhaps. But in any way, he calmly answered the phone call and held it to his ear.

"I don't know why you're calling me but everything else is fine."

On the other end of the call, a woman's voice responded, "Don't hang up on me, Lach."

"Then don't bother me!" he said, purely ruffled, "I'm working!"

Aside from being a hitman, Lachlan's also the President of this organization, where the work they conduct is critical to the national security of every country. They gather and evaluate government information and carry out clandestine operations. Policymakers in each country, including the country's President, make policy decisions based on the information they offer.

Their alliance is also ranked first with the highest award of Accountability Authority in the vast majority of intelligence organizations that have existed in the past. It denotes the commission's capacity, jurisdiction, and obligation to inspect, audit, and settle all accounts pertaining to the revenue and collections, and disbursements or uses of assets and commodities owned or held in trust by, or belonging to the government. People reach out to them and they're being trusted by many, even the government.

"Where are you now?" straightly asked the woman with her voice so profound and serious.

A long pause was made and then Lachlan sighed. He had no intention to respond to what she asked as he thought it was a nonsense question, and it would be foolish to answer. Even from the start, he knew that talking to her is a waste of time. And yet he still answered the phone call so he then realized it was partly his fault.

One thing he had considered. If this woman asks another ridiculous question, he will politely turn off the call and return to his work.

"Hey, you got a trip to France?" the tune in her voice changed. It was as if she became interested so sudden. And so, Lachlan realized that her question has got nothing to do with their jobs so he spoke, "Bye," very coldly and uninterested.

"Hey!" the woman shouted as Lachlan was about to hang up the phone. "Didn't you miss me?!" she exclaimed. But because that's how she expresses herself when she's bored, Lachlan curled his lip and clicked his tongue because he knew she was simply trying to annoy him. Knowing this woman's personality, she is sometimes serious and sometimes not.

Poor Lachlan was brought back to the call and shouted, "Don't bother me, idiot!" and then hung up the phone, completely irritated.

The weather's cold yet he felt so hot right up to his head down his spine. 

"What's her problem?" he groaned as he tossed his phone back to his table. 

They have been buddies since they were young. In fact, at such an early age, they met in a particular household where they were tasked with learning and training. Not just a regular training like some ordinary kids in schools, but it was different. To kill or not to be killed. It would be a traumatic turn of events if they won't manage to do what they're asked for. Both performed well and accomplished well with the help of their guardians. Very disciplined and well-composed, just like Travis. 

Leaning back in his chair again, a gentle knock on the door caused him to regain his composure, and then a man in a sharp tuxedo suit bringing a filed documents entered his office. It appeared to be one of his men. The nametag on his chest indicated that he is the secretary of the SIO, Elton Jay Paras.

"Sir, what seems to be the problem?" the man, omitting he had to report something, asked after he noticed the slump in deep dejection on Lachlan's face.  

This secretary of his has already worked for more than 10 years in the office since he's unreplaceable in how capable he is of his work. With such responsible and competent talent he has, some of their organization's men envied him. Some even tried to terminate Secretary Elton but he's still standing and alive. Lachlan was aware of that situation, but he did not move a single grain to aid his secretary—it was because in every trouble his secretary would get, he could handle the trouble without his President's support.

"Nothing. I'm just tired," Lachlan was exhausted, yet his secretary realized that half of his answer was a lie but it's also partly correct. 

After a moment, Lachlan slightly moved his chair backward and stood up to walk by the door. Not hesitating, Secretary Elton followed him diligently.

"By the way, give me a report about the target," Lachlan asked, solemn and unbothered.

Reaching out the doorknob, he noticed that his secretary barely widened his eyes just by glancing at him. It's as if Mr. Elton was cautious with something---that there appeared to be something on the other side of the door. But still, Lachlan felt nothing strange so he thought he misread his secretary. Then again, he wrapped his palm around the doorknob, switching it from steel to rag, and pushed the door open. At this moment, his secretary stopped him but it seems like it was too late now.

"S-Sir," silently whispered Mr. Elton. His quivering eyes were fully concerned with the life of the President, not his own. 

As for Lachlan, he kept gluing his gaze onto his secretary and waited for his response about the thing he asked earlier, "Hmm? Did you gather the infor---"

"Did you miss me or not?!" Before the both of them stepped outside, a voice of a yelling woman was heard. 

Lachlan then didn't hesitate to stare around and look at the front of the door only to meet the death gaze of the woman who exclaimed. He felt terror down his spine and was so stunned that he forgot how to act like an Elite.

Fit and red-striped silk kimono, a full-length T-shaped robe with long sleeves and a beautiful belt that is traditional Japanese clothing, rose lips, red plain shoes, scarlet-hued make-up, and her hair down. The only woman that could break his leg in one try, like a gorilla. The only woman who doesn't act so feminine, but dresses so girly. These descriptions led only to one lady. Akari Tachibana, the 4th Elite.

"What the heck!" Lachlan screamed his heart out and unexpectedly stepped backward back to his table. "Why are you here?!"

His secretary, Mr. Elton, became so worried. But he couldn't interfere with the two so he simply let the President feel fear all he wants. On the other hand, Akari stepped inside the President of SIO's office and was amazed by the office's design. It was exactly her type. She saw how comfortable it would be sitting and working in an office like this. 

After she set a  foot inside, Mr. Elton bowed down his head as a sign of respect to their sudden visitor, and little by little, he stepped outside the door as he gave them a private moment. With that being said, as Akari was so stunned by the office, she furiously trudged her foot advancing toward Lachlan who was now praying for a better life in case he'd die at this moment. He saw how Akari's irritated face exactly ran out his hope.

"You called me an idiot, you creeper!" she pinched Lachlan's right ear and picked him up by force. Now, this is called abuse.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Let go!" looking like a covering squirrel, poor Lachlan begged for his life. 

"Not until you tell me Nicholas's location."

Holding still his ear, Lachlan managed to get out of this lady's palm when he tried to twist around and pushed her away. Akari was then able to balance out her body and stood like the push was nothing to her.

"Don't call him with that so casually." Felt so angered, he stood up and brushed off the dirt in his uniform consequently, "He's the Headman."

Akari calmed down after she heard the word "Headman" coming from Lachlan's mouth. It's just so sudden that it took one word to keep down her cool. 

It's not intentional but she sometimes forgets that their friend, Travis, is also the Headman. A Headman's work might not be that easy but among the Elites, only Travis was fitted for that job. They should respect him in whatever he'd do and they should see him as their father, not only as their friend. 

"What? Unfair. You call him by his name though." Akari threw herself on the nearest sofa which was beside the SIO President's desk area. She sat there with her right leg above her other and arms rested on the sofa's backrest. "But anyway, where's Trav?" she continued, so gently.

Lachlan, after seeing Akari sitting on his sofa, inserted his hands inside his pocket and went behind his swivel chair to face against the glass wall, which the city night view outside was clearly visible to their eyes. "Sigh. You shouldn't bother hi---"

Before he finished what he spoke, Akari stretched out her arms and reached to the pillow just to throw it in Lachlan's direction. She shouted as she furiously pitched the pillow on his face, "Then, should I kick your balls?"

Not long before the pillow hit on Lachlan, he used his elbow to evade the pillow's contact with his face. "I don't care!" he softly yelled, "And why are you even asking me? That's not even my job! Did you forget about your companions?"

"Oh yeah, companions." And so, Akari changed her mood again---from exasperated to poise. "I have them."

Cats and dogs...

After exhausting themselves in the daylight hunt, the cats each selected a spot of maximum comfort and warmth. They washed once they were comfortable, being meticulous and meditative in every way. It was their zen moment, self-soothing, before falling asleep as masters of the hearty dream world. On the other hand, the hounds trotted wolfishly in a pack as the sun dipped lower toward the greying outlines of the wooded trees. Their brindled coats blended into the fading dappled shadows, and they huddled low to the earth.

The relationship between the second and fourth Elites. Despite their cat-and-dog relationship, they both operate like professionals and understand each other—not to mention their skills and how they transmit with each other as Elites solely articulated how their affinity stood unbeatable.

0