Chapter Four
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sky had donned on the sapphire hues as he headed straight towards the thick-walled city. The black horse neighed, as he stroked the beast’s mane, holding her reins as to slow her down. Something had been bothering his mare for quite some time. He had managed to keep her calm, but she was capricious with her mood swings. He just hoped they would soon make it to the city before encountering any hostility. The wilds were riddled with all sorts of cut throats, bandits, beasts both mundane and magical…just to name a few. Until now he had miraculously avoided all of them, managing to reach till this far with a liability he had been carrying safely for a while. 

The moment he held the reins under the shade, the tucked-up girl raised her head. 

“Are…we going to a new place…?” she stared into his eyes, while adjusting herself in front of him. He shifted a bit back, hoping he wouldn’t fall down. She was calmer than ever and didn’t remember much. Good for her…and for him as well. 

“Yes. Now what do you remember, dear girl?” he stared deeper into her eyes, as she shook her head. She had struggled to remember something…and to his relief, nothing came to her memory, as apparent by her oblivious face. The charms had worked...and he had relieved her of her pained memories for now...

“I remember that…some bandits had caught me, and you rescued me from them, along with everyone else…” she recalled, holding the expressions of someone who had recently woken up from a nightmare…and was quite relieved to have done so…or perhaps had forgotten a very morbid experience. 

He took a deep sigh, stroking her head once more while asking. 

“And…do you remember about your family?” he asked carefully. He had to place his questions more cautiously, so as to not ruin the enchantment. She was blissfully ignorant of what had recently transpired just a day before. And he aimed to keep it that way.

“I…don’t remember. I just know that I was at odds with my father. Then…the bandits came and…we were both kidnapped. Then, you appeared, and you saved me. I don’t know where my father is, but I know he is safe. I want to find him! He was the only one who took care of me…ever since my mother died” her voice lowered in tone as her eyes filled with moisture. For a moment or two, surprise overwhelmed him. This father…she made no mention of him whatsoever, until now. Perhaps there was something else she could tell him. But not yet! 

“I promise you this. Your father is going to be found and he will be safe! In fact, chances are, someone like me has already found him” he consoled her, watching her worried expressions subsiding. She was calm…for now, and he had now a new clue…or another burden to lift…another life to save. 

He steered the horse named Black Rose in the direction of civilization, glancing at the gigantic settlement of enormous stone and wood constructs. What met his sight was the red bricked towers, the rising sun reflected in one of them. He just hoped that they would let him in through that iron gate, without interrogating him too much. Perhaps they would ease off at the sight of a troubled lass he had been carrying…or perhaps they would arrest him, assuming him to be the kidnaper. It had happened before, multiple times. He didn’t exactly give off the kind stranger’s vibe to anyone. 

Bracing himself for the volley of inane questions headed his way, he moved to where the iron gate was located. The sight of the gigantic mansions and the grandeur of the city faltered as he neared the city’s entrance, the only thing towering him being the metallic barrier. 

“Halt!” a roar halted him in his steps, as he pulled the reins. Black Rose let out a neigh, as the girl clung tighter to him. From her expressions, he could tell she had never been behind thick city walls. And she had never watched the humans walking in chainmail, carrying poleaxes. Or when she had, it meant trouble. 

He raised his left hand, greeting them from a distance, wishing they would remain there. Concealing his flinch as one of them neared, he tried his best to compose himself. 

“What are going on about?! Why is someone like you travelling with a girl? Did you do something to her?!”

Neyru raised his head, glaring at the bald moron who grinned, cocking his head while prodding the mare. He wished momentarily for the armour cladded guard to have worn nothing. Would have made it easier to smack him and settle matters later. 

“She kicks quite hard you know!” he blurted, making the guard pull back. He then raised his head, staring directly into the hunter’s sharp eyes. He clearly hadn’t liked it. 

“As for the kid, well I rescued her from a dark and horrible place. You don’t want to know what she has been through and I suggest you let me through. I have official business with the city…” his accent became similar to a request, resisting the urge to snap. The guard had started poking his horse once more. 

“The city is following some protocols and we need to see either the mayor’s approved pass, or five hundred coppers!” another one shouted from behind, too busy in losing the card game with his pal, right there on the post. 

Neyru glanced around. These lot were just bored, looking forward towards killing time or squeezing money from whoever had the bad luck of passing through there. None paid attention to him whatsoever. A scheme cooked up in his mind, as he delved into his coat’s pockets.

Heads were raised. Even the girl threw her head in the direction of his extended arm, as he took out something glowing. 

“What the hell is that?!” a beguiled voice was raised from one of the corners, as the strange circular sac in his glowed intensely, attracting the attention. Even the ones who were gambling threw away their cards. 

“It is a barbed hound’s brain. Take it outside and hang it till morning. It turns into gold. I shall give it to you of course, if you let me inside the city” he made his case, as the others forgot what the entire matter was. The lever was pulled immediately as the iron portcullis rose, giving him the view of the busy city. He threw that sac towards them, smiling at their expense for a moment. Idiots! He didn’t look back, winking at the lass as they passed through. 

 

0