Chapter 2 – Starting the day as a Neanderthal
172 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Karl didn't cry. He was now facing a snake similar to a medium-sized twisted boa. It wasn't a venomous snake, Karl could tell by its rounded snout and the subtle color of its scales.

In fact, the two of them are currently on equal footing. The snake was in a cave inhabited by a group of sleeping Neanderthals. Karl would probably end up being its nutrition for the next month. But the hungry serpent might as well end up in the stomachs of the sleeping Neanderthals that now was huddled together against the chill of the night.

Karl may have been in a warmer part of Northern Europe during the Ice Age. Snakes usually couldn't live in areas that are too cold—even though they were said to be cold-blooded. They therefore share their habitat with the mammals and cavemen who inhabit the caves and recesses near the cliffs.

His body was still weak, his muscles and bones not fully developed. The nerves in his brain had not been able to move his limbs as he had hoped. Karl was probably less than three days old at this point. His eyes still couldn't see clearly other than dark and light or when objects are close enough from him.

He waited. He used the "Escape from death" card a few minutes ago. But nothing happened. Somehow the system will solve this problem. Will someone come to help him? Or maybe a laser shot will come mysteriously to kill the snake?

At this moment, the snake began to circle around his body, as if measuring whether Karl would fit or not in his mouth? The snake hissed and stuck out its tongue. Its moved carefully on the stone floor without making a sound. Snakes were indeed animals that hunt in silence, not as conspicuous as some other predators.

Karl was crying, even though it felt like his energy was running low and his throat was very thirsty. But crying was his only means of defense at this point. Karl saw a shadow covering him and someone stabbed a wooden stick with a pointed tip into the snake's head.

He's safe. The snake must have been so focused on Karl that it didn't even notice there was another human. But that didn't really matter at the moment.

Karl realized that he had thrown away his precious card. If he had not used the card—he might have survived anyway. He will live the next forty years or so in the ferocity of the ice age era. He needed more than ten "Escape from the death" cards and he had already discarded one of them in less than 24 hours since he arrived in this era.

The human who helped him earlier, was a Neanderthal. A man with a slightly narrow and prominent forehead and pale skin like Europeans. His eyes were round and large which was also the advantage of being a Neanderthal. They could see quite clearly in the dark and use their talents to stalk the preys.

Dawn was coming, Karl could see a tinge of orange starting to color the sky. His eyes became clearer. Newborns should not be able to see clearly. But Karl was no ordinary baby. His soul came from the future.

The man left Karl while dragging the carcass of the snake. Karl tilted his head and saw the man approaching a group of humans sleeping side by side. He woke Karl's mother then pointed at Karl who had stopped crying.

His mother immediately got up and hugged Karl.

Warm and soothing. Karl felt a little hurt because he had felt neglected earlier. He was left alone and cold and almost eaten by a snakes. But her mother looked very worried. Maybe she fell asleep accidentaly. She hugged Karl tightly and nursed him.

Now the sun had fully risen— Even though the stinging cold was still there. Karl's mother took him out of the cave and was immediately greeted by the sight of busy Neanderthals.

So far, Karl only knew that the Neanderthals were a primitive species. They were not as intelligent as Homo Sapiens who would eventually dominate the Earth. But it turns out their life was not that simple.

The man who had helped him, was seen carrying the snake carcass to an area that looked like a slaughterhouse. It was shaped like a simple hut in the form of logs assembled and tied with animal skins at an angle to make it stronger. Karr could see the unrecognizable rough pieces of the animal's body. And animal skins that have been cleaned and dried under the sunlight.

There were two men who were at work cutting hunted meat with knives they made of sharpened stone.

[YOU SURVIVED DEATH]

[Escape from the death Card] -1!

[You're Being Awarded!]

[Warm Cloth] +1

Oh, I got something? Karl thought in his mind.

Then not long after, one of the Neanderthals gave a piece of animal skin to Karl's mother. He couldn't help but snort as the skin wafted up his nose. Smells a little rotten. There may still be some flesh tissue stuck to it. Karl tolerated it, the Neanderthals processed animal skins with primitive equipment. But if he could, Karl's better off not wearing it. But her mother already wrapped his body with it.

Since he was born as a Neanderthal, he seemed to be quite strong for enduring the cold. As long as there wasn't a blizzard or rain—Karl seemed to be able to survive naked. Karl struggled to get the stinky cloth of animal skin off of him. But not very successful. Now his mother wrapped and tied him with a rope woven from wood fibers.

He gave up, after a while his nose will adapt.

Karl now saw his mother who seemed to be trying to communicate with him. Karl was a little amazed because even for him— who had lived as a Homo Sapiens—his mother could be said as a beauty. She has red hair with cute freckles on her nose, and charming blue eyes.

The advantage of living as a caveman—she knows no soap or shampoo. Her hair was soft. Even if there was dried mud there. They said the chemicals from soap actually erode the natural moisture of the hair and human body. Those who only wash their bodies with water were said to have better skin and hair quality. Karl couldn't believe it, until he saw his own mother's physical appearance.

He patted Karl's cheek and smiled at him. Karl could see that she had a few missing teeth. Maybe because most Neanderthals tended to be carnivores. They also often consume raw meat.

Karl smiled back at his mother and waved his hand. He tried to make himself look cute. It was actually not that much fun. But Karl couldn't do much as a baby.

If Karl thought too much and regretted his life—he could end up being the youngest human being in the history to commit suicide. That's too sad. So Karl will try to enjoy his life.

"His hair is like yours," Karl heard someone say. The man who helped him spoke to his mother.

"Yeah, he's got strong hands too," his mother responded as Karl's hand grabbed her hair once again.

"Such stand out hair—will make it easy to spot when hunting," the man shook his head.

Carl listened. He knew that the Neanderthals might speak a completely different language than what he knew. But strangely he understood.

The man, probably Karl's father. Although Karl couldn't be sure.

"He could be a forager, or a builder," his mother commented again.

"He's a boy, I want him to be a hunter," the black-haired man replied coldly.

[General Personality Level Up!]

Bravery-----2%!

Social Life ----- 2%!

Charisma ----- 1%!

Intelligence ----- 1%!

Creativity ----- 0%!

Leadership ------ 0%!

Karl saw the personality table pop into his head. It might come in handy in the future when he's old enough. But as a baby, it was useless.

Objective!

He exclaimed.

[NEW OBJECTIVE!]

[1. KNOW YOUR ENVIRONMENT AND DO OBSERVATIONS]

[2. GROW TO BE A HEALTHY BABY WITH IDEAL WEIGHT]

Still the same, Karl thought that the objective would stick around for the next few months. Now he was still a skinny baby that contrasted with her chubby cheeks.

Karl also chose to sleep while in his mother's warm arms. As a baby, for some reason he was always hungry and sleepy. Karl realized that his mind was starting to drift into dreamland.

There, amid the drowsiness and tightly closed eyes— the sound of the system startled him.

[THE GOD WANTS TO TALK WITH YOU]

[WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE CONVERSATION WITH THE GOD?]

[YES/NO]

This was an opportunity for Karl to remember and straighten out what happened to His life now. What kind of contract had he made with the god?

3