20: Enter
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the two doors at the base of the pagoda are two circular knockers, encrusted with treated bronze on painted doors. At the word I speak, I see nothing. Confused, I look to the Beast, whose eyes still linger at the entrance.

All of a sudden, I hear the trickle of not-still water, before I hear the huge splashes of water. Glancing behind me, I'm just in time to see the appearance of several webbed fins and tails. They disappear as water rains down, formless and remolding themselves, before they sink down into the water with their comrades under the heavy ripples of water. The large, dead pond is now thriving with...fish...spirits?

"What-" I'm looking back at the Beast, but already he's bowed his large head and pressed his forehead against the doors. His eyes have closed, and he looks almost pitiable. When he pulls away, nothing happens. The doors don't swing open for him.

"Press your hand to the door, Guest Chao."

"But the--" I point helplessly back, to where the pond is alive now, in a way I can't describe. The courtyard itself seems to have regained some semblance of colour and permission, and I can't explain why it feels that way. The uneasiness of the cold seems to have been swept away, but not entirely. "The--"

"In your answer to this riddle, this courtyard recognizes its former mistress in you," the Beast says. "Not because she was unique or she was exceeding in any skill, but because in this realm, humans are not spiritual creatures by nature. You are sustained by and die upon earth. Your memories hold no power over you like ours do, so as a human like her, you are exempt from this magic." He gazes upon the entrance. "Press your hand to the doors, Guest Chao. Allow me entrance to this place as you have the others to this courtyard."

The Beast can't go in. "Why?" I feel a conflict of emotions and purpose: common sense to tell me to follow as he says for fear of him snapping in some sort of anger; anxiety in what will happen to me if I do. And...curiousity. About so many things. About this courtyard, about Mei, and about the Beast's relationship--which must've been love, if anything--to her. "Why aren't you able to go in yourself?"

If the Beast loved her and she ran away, what does that say about how he cares for humans now?

"Press your hand to the door." The Beast's voice does not change in temperament, but his body is stiff and large. "I will not ask you again."

I want to know what's going on. But on the other hand...

"I want my wish," I say, taking a step back from him, the door, and hopefully in a direction that's close to the courtyard's gate. "I passed the puzzle." I take another step. Some part of me is screaming at me why I'd be like this, but somehow, I'm stronger for knowing that I'm in control here.

I have the permission he wants.

I can keep myself alive like this, unless I push it too much.

The Beast breathes out heavily, and the low rumble of his growl comes with the steam. "Guest Chao," he says, not looking at me. But he surprises me, by asking, "What is your wish?"

There's an unfamiliar note to his voice.

"I don't want to go in there," I say to him. And just as I say it, I know it's the right choice. I'm curious, sure, but I don't want to go up in there. I don't want to know how Mei lived or what made her decide to run away or where she ended up going. This place was a ghost town before I let her in, and it didn't feel right. Going up there...won't feel right either. And there has to be a reason there's magic here forbidding the Beast, of all creatures, from entering. "I don't want to open that for you."

But hell, I want to know.

The Beast rumbles at the entrance only once more, before he turns to look at me. "That is your wish?" His eyes bear into mine, and I know I'm trembling.

"Why do you want to go in there so badly?"

The Beast says I've let the spirits come into this space. Maybe, I can easily keep them out too. By the answering silence, I think the Beast has figured out I've realized this.

"It is my business," the Beast answers. "This pagoda was once mine."

"You gave this place to her," I guess. I watch the expression--if a Beast's expression could be anything--on his face. "Who cast the magic that keeps you from going in?"

With a growl, the Beast lunges to me. His jaws snap in front of my face.

I'm stiff, petrified to the spot.

"Open the door, Guest Chao," he says. "And I will answer your question."

0