Chapter 12
Id by Vast
50 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

12

 

Andrew tore up the scroll, and at the same time, the magic built into it was activated. Mysterious diagrams appeared around him. As if an invisible wand was moving, the ground shifted slightly, and the color of the soil changed, then, finally a complicated diagram of two meters in diameter was completed. As the completed diagram glittered, the surrounding manna began to fluctuate.

 

Andrew, standing in the middle of the magic diagram, closed his eyes. Essentially, it was hard to sense the presence of manna. Ordinary people, who were not particularly sensitive to manna’s vitality, never felt manna force all their lives. However, Andrew could sense the high-density manna collected by the magic diagram. It might stem from being a top-notch swordsman who could use manna force to reinforce his blade. In that state, he began to breathe slowly and deeply.

 

Andrew felt manna that was entering and exiting his body. As nature’s rule was that manna did not stay in one place for long but constantly moved, most of the manna breathed in eventually left his body. The rest stayed in his muscles somewhat longer and was also eventually discharged after a few minutes. 

 

‘The first step to approach the Aura Beam is making a manna hall in your heart and concentrating the manna breathed in into that hall. I don’t know the next step of how to move the concentrated manna from the manna hall to your blade, either.’

 

Said James Billford. He continued.

 

‘I succeeded in making a manna hall in my heart three years ago. But the quantity of condensed manna was insignificant. Moreover, I couldn’t move the condensed manna out of the manna hall no matter what I tried.’

 

James explained to Andrew how he trained to make a manna hall in his heart just before his death. Having obtained the information, Andrew trained almost every day to make a manna hall using the scrolls for more than ten years, but it was a fruitless endeavor.

 

Motionless, Andrew concentrated on breathing as he stood in the middle of the magic diagram for two hours.

 

At that time, Id was cleaning the house. He swept the garden, wiped the water tub, and cleaned the walls of the log cabin. It was hard to believe that Id was just nine years old as he completed the household chores just like an experienced housekeeper.

 

“All done.”

 

After he finished cleaning outside, Id looked at the door of the log cabin. He was not allowed to enter the house. Though he was curious about what was inside, he suppressed his curiosity. If he upset the old man by accident, he might be kicked out.

 

“It’s better to clean inside the cabin after asking for his permission.”

 

Id, who had put down the rag, washed himself with the water from the water tub. There was sufficient water in the tub since he fetched water from the stream every morning. He also washed his clothes and hung them up to dry. Looking around to see if there was anything left to do, Id saw a wooden sword leaning against the warehouse wall. George had made it for him. Id felt his heart tighten when he remembered the wooden sword was there. He tried to contain his emotions, but it was an arduous task for a nine-year-old boy.

 

“I miss you, mom.”

 

Gnawing at his lower lip, Id grabbed the wooden sword. Id’s biggest fear was being by himself with nothing to do as it would just lead to more emotional anxiety. He started to practice sword skills taught to him by George. Vertical swing, horizontal swing, diagonal swing and stab forward. All that he learned from George were these basic skills for beginners. Though George showed him some combinations of skills and some more advanced skills, Id did not pay much attention to them. He had learned and practiced offensive skills only. He was not interested in any of the defensive techniques at all. Id’s innate affinity to the vitality of manna always allowed him to read his opponents' intentions before they even started to move. Id never felt any difficulties avoiding attacks from opponents of his age or even several years older than him. The only moment he had feared for his life was when he was under the black panther’s attack. The evil beast’s overwhelming speed and power undermined Id’s instinctive drive to dodge.

 

Id swung his wooden sword without pause for about two hours. He couldn’t stop his sword because he was afraid of recalling memories of Julia and George. Thus, Id’s practice continued until Andrew, who had just finished his manna training on the magic diagram, shouted at him.

 

“What are you doing!?”

 

Astonished by the roar, Id dropped his wooden sword. Andrew was in a foul mood as he had accomplished nothing to open a manna hall in his chest again. He rebuked Id as if to vent his anger.

 

“I allowed you to live here because you promised to do the housework. But already, I see you lazing around.”

 

“… No… sir. I finished everything.”

 

Id explained in haste. Fetching water, cooking, laundry and cleaning…… Looking at the laundry hanging out neatly on the clothesline, Id said cautiously.

 

“I finished everything except cleaning inside the cabin. But I didn’t do it yet because I was afraid that you might be angry. Should I clean inside the cabin?”

 

Finishing his explanation, Id carefully studied Andrew’s face. Looking around the house with a grim look on his face, Andrew opened the door to the cabin.

 

“This space is only for me. Don’t even think about entering here. You don’t have to clean inside the cabin, of course.”

 

“I got it. I will never enter it. Well, I’ll prepare for lunch.”

 

Andrew watched Id’s back, rushing to the kitchen hurriedly with a sheepish face. It bothered him that he took out his anger on the poor child.

 

“Why is he practicing those useless skills?”

 

Andrew entered the cabin shaking his head.

 

The lunch was chevon steak. It was a rare meal since they could only eat chevon steak when Andrew hunted wild goats. Andrew cut the thick steak with a silver knife neatly. He always carried a set of tableware made of silver which Peter, his brother, prepared for him, worried about unexpected poisoning. Andrew observed Id eating steak with his woodenware which commoners usually used for their meals. In contrast to the woodenware, Id’s table manners were not that of commoners. Id showed perfect etiquette that even the high-class nobleman, Andrew, admired. He stared at Id’s face.

 

‘Is the boy from an aristocratic family?’

 

Having noticed Andrew’s suspicious gaze, Id figured out what the problem was. He had used the etiquette taught in the palace.

 

“To tell you the truth, I was educated to be an attendant at the court since I was three years old. My mother was a maid in the Royal Palace of Scandia.”

 

In a calm voice, Id told the whole story of his life. There was nothing for him to hide. Listening to Id’s story, Andrew's facial expression relaxed.

 

“I see……”

 

Nodding silently, he finished his meal. He became a little sympathetic towards Id.

 

Id lived his whole life in a very hostile environment from birth to his first meeting with his mother just before his eighth birthday. He was educated with the rules and etiquette of the palace together with many other children. The attendant trainees were severely punished even when they only made minor mistakes. He witnessed, several times, a colleague being cudgeled to death due to a minor error they made. He had barely survived his life at court, relying on his instinctive affinity with manna, allowing him to avoid any dangerous situations. He didn’t even understand the concept of ‘love’ or ‘sacrifice’ until he met Julia.

 

“In nine days, Id, you’ll be eight years old. I am so glad that I can celebrate your birthday with you.”

 

Julia had spoken such words when she had returned to the palace to pick up Id. Even though she was only able to take care of her son for several months before she lay sick in bed, this experience let her son realize the meaning of family and be ready to explore his unpredictable future life, albeit alone.

 

Id’s life was tranquil. It was far easier than taking care of Julia, who could barely move and was bedridden in her last days. In an attempt to avoid the agonizing memories, Id found new tasks to do when he was out of regular housework to complete. Maintaining the wooden fence, tending to the garden, cleaning the walls of the cabin every day…… If Andrew didn’t hate the smell, he would’ve raised chickens and rabbits. In his spare time, Id continued to practice his sword skills.

 

The sound of the wooden sword cutting through the air was quite harsh. Id was sweating and brandished his sword incessantly. Andrew sat in the shade, drinking beer and watching him practice. Id had traded the beer he was drinking for smoked meat. They rarely used money in mountain villages like Derevnya. They bartered goods for everyday life. Andrew furrowed his brows at the pungent taste of beer.

 

“It actually tastes pretty good for a mountain beer.”

 

He hadn’t had a proper drink since he had settled in the village. He never thought of bartering because he didn’t get along with the villagers, but after Id had moved in with him, Andrew’s diet had become incomparably abundant. 

1