Chapter 20
Id by Vast
53 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

20

 

Andrew asked Pavel.

 

“From what I’ve heard, it’s clear to see that my apprentice acted in self-defense. Why would you take him to the security headquarters?”

 

Pavel replied, taking a closer look at Andrew.

 

“I’m placing him under arrest for investigation because the testimonies are controversial.”

 

Andrew responded in a cold tone.

 

“Shouldn’t you investigate here where there are a lot of witnesses if you are going to do it fairly? Unless my apprentice is guilty, I cannot allow him to be taken in honor of being a Knight. If you insist, I’ll formally challenge you to a duel.”

 

Pavel, intrigued by Id’s swordcraft, was intrigued at Andrew’s words. At the peak of his early forties in his career as a Knight, It was unimaginable for him to lose to a nearly seventy-year-old man, no matter how good the opponent’s sword skills were. The Chief of Security, who had been watching Id for a while, looked at Andrew again and said,

 

“I think it’s too cramped here, and we also don’t want to cause any further damage. Why don’t we go to the square?”

 

“All right, let’s do that.”

 

As the two left the inn, all the spectators followed them. About two hundred meters from the inn, the square was located between the city hall and the security headquarters. The Mayor of Nordburg, Viscount Levin, who was looking down at the square from the terrace on the third floor of the city hall, sent his servant to inquire why so many people had gathered. Upon hearing the whole story from his servant, the Mayor came down to the square, accompanied by his Knight Commander and twelve Knights.

 

Andrew strode out into the center of the square with a single longsword, leaving the rest of his luggage with Id. After giving a slight nod to the distant Mayor, he closed his eyes and relaxed. It had been decades since his last formal duel. He felt like he was back in the old days as a young Knight Commander. His body shuddered in excitement. Since the Mayor himself came down to the square, Pavel walked up to him to report how the situation had developed to the point of a formal duel between him and Andrew. The Mayor approved the formal duel and agreed on being an official witness of it. Pavel slowly walked out to the center of the square, standing opposite Andrew and performed the Knight's salute.

 

“I am Pavel Ivanovich Borozov, a Knight of Scandia who was sworn in by Viscount Levin. I swear on the honor of the Knight to fight fairly.”

 

Andrew responded in turn.

 

“I’m Andrew, a Knight from the Icarus Empire. Please understand that I cannot reveal my family name due to certain circumstances. I swear on the honor of the Knight to fight fairly.”

 

Andrew did not identify himself, but Pavel did not mind much. If the opponent were a fake Knight, he would die on the spot. Pavel charged his opponent with a big move from the start. After deflecting his sword several times, Andrew was a little disappointed because Pavel’s skills were far from adequate to deal with himself, a former Knight Commander of the Red Lion Order. In fact, throughout the entire continent, there had been not more than five swordsmen who could have dealt with Andrew’s sword when he had been a Knight Commander. Unluckily, Pavel had met the wrong opponent. 

 

Conscious of the growing crowd over time, Andrew decided to end the duel quickly. As Andrew swung the sword vertically and hit his opponent’s shield, Pavel's balance was momentarily disrupted. Not missing the opening created, Andrew struck his opponent’s right wrist with the hilt of his sword. Pavel’s sword fell helplessly to the ground, and the sudden development silenced the spectators. Sheathing his sword, Andrew stepped back and looked at Viscount Levin, who claimed to be an official witness.

 

Viscount Levin was also a Knight, although his sword skills were not very good. From Andrew’s stance, he had thought Pavel might lose, but he did not expect such a Pavel to be defeated so effortlessly by a wandering Knight who hadn’t even bothered to identify himself.

 

“Your sword skills are excellent. You’re obviously from a prominent family of the Empire, so why don’t you identify yourself now?”

 

“I’ve been wandering the continent for decades in search of something. Please understand I cannot reveal my family name for personal reasons.”

 

Levin frowned as Andrew refused to reveal his identity when even the Mayor himself asked him.

 

“Judging from your skills, not only Nordburg but the entirety of Scandia has no Knight capable of matching you in a duel. However, I cannot allow you to leave unidentified after making a scene in the middle of the city. But, I have a suggestion. If you can beat the three Knights under my command in a three versus one, we can forget everything that has happened here today, and I’ll ensure your and your apprentice’s safety during your stay in Nordburg. If my Knights win, you have to identify yourself and explain why you caused the disturbance in town.”

 

Levin knew that his demand was unreasonable, but he wanted to find out Andrew’s identity somehow. He was worried that Andrew might adversely affect his political position, joining his rival. Simultaneously, Levin wanted to check the possibility of taking in Andrew as his Knight.

 

As the matter had escalated significantly, Id could not hide his nervousness. Standing next to Id, Sasha put his hand on Id’s shoulder and calmed him down. Id’s eyes, looking at Sasha, were moist. He felt a massive burden as Andrew had found himself in trouble due to him.

 

Three Knights, who received the Mayor’s signal, besieged Andrew. Andrew charged at one Knight in front of him to escape the siege and occupy an advantageous position. The Knight raised his shield at an angle, weakening the force on Andrew’s sword, and stepped sideways to block Andrew from escaping. He was the Commander of the Nordburg Order, Nikolay Bellerin, and formerly served as a Royal Guard of Scandia for over a decade. Although it was unknown as to why he had come to Nordburg, his sword was widely acknowledged.

 

As Nikolay blocked Andrew’s path, the second Knight, Ivan, who was on the right side of Andrew, stabbed him in the side. Andrew spun fast, dodging Ivan’s sword and swung his sword at the third Knight Vladimir on the other side. The three were amongst the strongest in the Nordburg Order, but Vladimir's skills were lacking compared to the other two. Andrew slashed Vladimir's thigh, and he stepped back a few steps. As the siege was loosened, Andrew attempted to escape in Vladimir’s direction. Nikolay charged at Andrew, aiming his shield at Andrew’s right shoulder, just above the elbow area where his arm had been cut off a long time back. Nikolay Bellerin’s swordsmanship was excellent, but he was a man from whom a chivalrous spirit was hardly expected. Andrew was struck by Nikolay’s shield and rolled on the ground. He used the momentum from Nikolay’s bash to continue to roll and swung his sword simultaneously, slicing at Ivan’s calf, causing a significant wound and proceeded to spring back up to his feet. Since Ivan and Vladimir were forced to slow down due to injuries to the lower body, the match proceeded mainly between Andrew and Nikolay. However, Andrew struggled with the surprise attacks of the remaining two, so the three-on-one showdown lasted for more than an hour.

 

At the three Knight’ shield attack, Andrew suffered several crises, rolling on the ground. Whenever Andrew was in trouble, Id flinched and was about to rush out, but Sasha dissuaded him.

 

“If you rush in now, you’ll put your master in even more trouble.”

 

Sasha was right. Id had no choice but to bite his lower lip. Id’s lip was bleeding. More than an hour after the confrontation began, Andrew’s stamina began to run out. He seemed too old to handle the power of young Knights for a long time. Taking a deep breath, Andrew decided to finish the fight quickly, even if he had to take a risk.

 

Andrew jumped into the air, swinging his sword vertically from top to bottom, aiming at Nicolay’s head. As Nikolay lifted his shield to block the sword, Andrew used the recoil to turn sharply and attempted to cut Vladimir’s left shoulder. Vladimir hurriedly lifted his shield to block Andrew’s sword, but the shield could not withstand the intense force of Andrew’s Aura Blade and split in half. Andrew extended the sword in a series of movements and stabbed Vladimir in his right forearm. Vladimir groaned and dropped his sword. Having lost both his sword and shield instantly, Vladimir stepped back and fell to his knees.

 

Having incapacitated Vladimir, Andrew swung his blue Aura Blade at Ivan. As Ivan’s sword broke in half and Andrew turned to face Nikolay, the corner of Nikolay’s shield hit Andrew’s chest. Rolling down on the ground again, Andrew felt something rising from inside. The internal injury seemed severe, but Andrew had to continue to roll on the ground again, swallowing the surging blood. When the dust rose as Ivan’s shield struck where Andrew had been, Ivan shrieked and collapsed. His thigh was cut deeply by Andrew’s blade and bled. The chainmail which protected Ivan’s thigh was in tatters.

2