Chapter 42
Id by Vast
60 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

42

 

After Benjamin greeted Blackanvil, the party ordered food. Blackanvil ordered two bottles of wine.

 

“I like wine, unlike ordinary dwarves who only seem to be able to enjoy beer.”

 

When the waiter brought the wine Blackanvil ordered, Benjamin cast a spell to see if it was poisoned. As Blackanvil saw Benjamin acting so cautiously, Sasha told Blackanvil about what the party went through on their way. After a sip of wine, Blackanvil asked Id.

 

“Now that you’re all grown up, don’t you need a proper longsword? I can make you a longsword that fits you perfectly.”

 

“No. For the swordsmanship I made, the sword I’m using now is more suitable than a longsword. I call this sword made by you a middlesword. I will probably be using this middlesword for a long time to come.”

 

Surprised to hear that Id had created his own swordsmanship style, Blackanvil looked at Sasha. Sasha just nodded without words.

 

“It’s amazing that you created your original swordsmanship at your age. Can I see you using the sword I made?”

 

“Sure. I’ll spar with Sasha after dinner.”

 

Blackanvil hurriedly finished his meal since he wanted to see Id use his sword as soon as possible. The others also scarfed their food down and went to the inn’s backyard. Id was in his armor and helmet. Having put the battle-axe and mace down on the ground, Sasha made sure to be in the best condition,  lightening his body for the spar, holding only his sword and shield. No one thought it strange since Knights often sparred at their accommodations during the trip. Some curious guests gathered to watch the two men’s match. Id spoke to Sasha.

 

“Now that I’m wearing magic armor, you don’t have to worry about me getting hurt. Do your best to attack me as if it were a real fight.”

 

Sasha nodded wordlessly, lifting his sword. Id waited for Sasha’s attack, stretching his sword to the lower right. As Sasha kicked off his attack with a roar of shouts, the two struck their swords several times at dazzling speed. The combination of Sasha’s heavy orthodox sword and Id’s flashing sword that resembled flowing lightning, made it look like an artistic performance. When the confrontation lasted more than ten minutes, everyone watching held their breath. Sheathing his sword, Sasha said to Id.

 

“Although I did my best in my own way for a long time, it seems I still have a long way to catch up to your sword techniques.”

 

Id smiled at Sasha and looked at Lara.

 

“Would you like to have a spar too?”

 

Nodding vigorously, Lara unsheathed her shortsword and stepped forward. Smartly dressed in leather armor, Lara caught the spectators’ eyes. Unlike the confrontation between Sasha and Id, Lara and Id’s match of speed versus speed was way too fast for Blackanvil to follow with his eyes. After a while, Lara stepped back with a sullen look, dropping her shortsword. Id asked Blackanvil.

 

“How’s it?”

 

“Your swordsmanship is great. I’m pleased that the sword I made went to the right owner. And I agree that your middlesword is much better for your swordsmanship than the longsword. I don’t think you need a new longsword. Sasha, I think your master’s longsword fits you well. What do you think?”

 

“I’m going to use my master’s keepsake for the rest of my life, cherishing it.”

 

Having nodded, Blackanvil looked at Lara.

 

“Lara, I think you should use a middlesword like Id rather than a shortsword. I’ll make a sword that fits you perfectly, so pick it up five days later at my workshop.”

 

“Thank you, Blackanvil. How much do I have to pay for it?”

 

“Don’t worry. I’ll gift it to you.”

 

“You’ve already given me a set of daggers free of charge. I want to pay for my sword.”

 

“Then let’s talk about it later after I make the sword.”

 

Four people and a dwarf, who decided to drink some more wine, went back into the restaurant. A man wearing a robe and pressing the hood down deeply was watching them in the corner of the backyard. It was late, so there was only one table of guests in the restaurant except for Id’s party. Having ordered some more wine, Blackanvil asked Benjamin.

 

“Sasha said you were going to visit Scandia's Wizard Tower to make magic potions. Is it true?”

 

“Right. We will visit the Wizard Tower tomorrow morning and stay there for a week.”

 

“Are you familiar with Torres, the owner of the Scandia Wizard Tower?”

 

“He belonged to the Icarus Wizard Tower for several years. I’ve heard that he left Icarus Tower and moved to Scandia soon after he had become a seven-circle Wizard. I just greeted him when he came to the Icarus Wizard Tower for the first time. I didn’t see him when he left. I’ve heard that he had some conflict with Sirius, the owner of Icarus Wizard Tower when he left. I thought the conflict was resolved well later.”

 

Blackanvil glanced at Id’s armor once and began to speak.

 

“I didn’t recognize that armor at first because you removed all the patterns on it, but it is a collaboration between Torres and me. Since the rumors about Baron Kozlov are not good, I refused to make an armor for his son at first. After repeated requests from Torres, I decided to make it reluctantly. The production cost I received was a thousand golds because I mixed alloyed steel using black iron from the dwarf mine in the Tartaria Kingdom. I don’t know how much Torres received for engraving magic diagrams on the armor. Marquis Bunin, Duke Belov and Duke Usachov are the three greatest aristocrats in the Scandia Kingdom. And Marquis Bunin, Baron Kozlov’s father-in-law, is the biggest sponsor of Torres. At the time of manufacturing the armor, the relationship between Torres and me wasn’t bad. However, with several visits to the Tower to make the armor and frequent contact with him, I felt something strange about him. Later, on a covert basis, I got suspicious of a conspiracy that he was trying to turn Scandia into a Magic Kingdom like the Kingdom of Mudria and seize the political power himself. For me, as a dwarf, it doesn’t matter who takes power in the human world, so I stopped paying attention to it afterward. Now that I hear you’re planning to visit the Scandia Wizard Tower, I can’t help but worry. Wizard Torres is an ambitious man, so you’d better be careful.”

 

Id, who was listening carefully to Blackanvil, said,

 

“This armor was so expensive! Now I understand why Baron Kozlov tried to get it back so desperately.”

 

Id spoke to Blackanvil about the whole story relating to the armor in detail.

 

“Anyway, by destiny, I’ve come to use both the armor and sword you made.”

 

“As I’ve noticed, Torres will recognize your armor as well. I think it’s better not to show him your armor.”

 

Id replied to him, smiling brightly.

 

“If Kozlov’s father-in-law is his biggest sponsor, Wizard Torres must have known about my armor already. Even if he doesn’t know yet, he’ll know soon enough. As I’m aware that Wizard Torres might be hostile to me, everything will be fine. Don’t worry.”

 

“I know Wizards will never win over a swordsman of your level, but Torres is not the kind of man who fights fair and square. It’s never a good idea for you to go to the Scandia Wizard Tower.”

 

Benjamin intervened in the conversation between the two.

 

“Torres was originally from the Kingdom of Hispa, where he conflicted with the dark mages. I heard he stayed at the Mudria Wizard Tower for several years before moving to the Icarus Wizard Tower after becoming a six-circle-master mage. Sirius conducted extensive research into his possible connection with black magic. It is known that they couldn’t find anything suspicious at the time.”

 

Blackanvil said, looking at Benjamin.

 

“When I did my research on Torres, there were no traces of black magic, either. However, I didn’t like his insidious personality, so I kept my distance from him these days.”

 

At that time, having glanced at the other guests’ table, Id spoke to Benjamin in a low voice.

 

“Somebody has cast a spell.”

 

On the opposite side of Id’s table, a middle-aged couple dressed in ordinary travel suits were drinking beer. Listening to Id, Benjamin cast the spell Magic Force Examination. Sasha and Lara prepared for an unexpected situation, placing their hands on the sword hilt. Moments later said Benjamin,

 

“There are three mages here. Those two sitting at the table are five-circle mages. There is another mage in the backyard where you sparred. I’m not sure, but I think he is at about the same level as me, a six-circle-master mage. The mage in the backyard has cast the spell, Manna Force Examination, to you. I don’t know how he got the information about you, but I think he tried to check whether you made a manna hall in your body or not.”

1