Chapter 55
Id by Vast
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/maruhan

55

 

Id, who ran as fast as he could to the cave’s exit with Spica in his arms, paused and looked over the terrain outside. The distance from the cave’s exit to the opposite forest was about thirty meters, and it was an open area filled with rocks in between. It seemed he could move to the forest without leaving any trace on the rocks. Paying attention not to leave a trail, Id slowly advanced about twenty-five meters toward the woods and jumped up onto a large birch tree. Standing on a thick branch, he checked if any marks remained on the path he had taken. After confirming that there were only faint footprints on the rocks he stepped off, Id swung his sword a couple of times. The Aura Beam that stretched out of his sword stirred the air, causing winds to erase the faint traces left on the rocks. Id jumped from tree to tree to move to the cave where his party was staying. When he landed on a branch of the tall oak tree at the entrance to the cave, Selena, who was also standing on the tree, said,

 

“You’re back safe, Id. What happened to the dragon?”

 

“Let’s go into the cave and talk together with others. Did Sasha finish his manna circulation?”

 

“I was just in the cave and saw him still sitting in the same position.”

 

Id took Selena into the cave. Spica was still weeping in his arms. Vega’s pain had been so vividly transferred to her through Telepathy that she could hardly calm down. When they entered the cave, Lara, who was carrying out her manna circulation sitting next to Sasha, stood up. Having put down Spica next to Lara, Id examined Sasha’s condition.

 

“Let’s have a cup of tea. I have a lot to tell you guys, and we’ll have to wait for a long time for Sasha to finish his manna training. We need to stay here tonight.”

 

Lara boiled a pot of green tea over the bonfire and distributed it to everyone. Spica, who took a few sips of warm tea, calmed down and stopped crying. Id told Lara and Selena in detail what had just happened in the basin.

 

“Sasha’s in deep meditation. I don’t want to wake him up now. It won’t be easy for the dragon hunters to track me down because I didn’t leave any trace outside the cave. I don’t know what happened, but Benjamin was directing the mages. I’m sure he won’t be involved in pursuing me, so, I think we don’t have to worry too much about the dragon hunters. The armor and shields of those who attacked Spica’s mother were painted with the arms of the Duke Cronos family, the twin-headed griffin. Although I have never seen the crest before, I’m sure it is Cronos’ since I clearly remember when my master described it to me. Most of Duke Cronos’ Knights were killed in the battle against Spica’s mother, so they’ll have to call reinforcements to track me down. As they’ll need some time for it, I don’t think we have to rush off. Benjamin will contact us via communication crystal, so let’s move after getting information from him.”

 

Id looked at Spica sitting next to him wordlessly.

 

“Do you feel better?”

 

As Spica nodded, Id continued.

 

“Even I could barely stand your mother’s agony transferred by Telepathy. I understand how shocking it must have been for you. If you circulate manna for a while, as I taught you earlier today, it might help you calm down. I’ll protect you until you awaken to be a genuine dragon as I promised your mother, so don’t worry too much.”

 

Spica moved to Sasha’s side and began her manna circulation.

 

************

 

James was very nervous seeing his father, Duke Cronos, appear on the communication crystal. Upon hearing James’ explanation of the situation, Duke Cronos remained silent without changing his facial expression. And then he spoke in a monotonous tone. James felt that his father was furious. James might have been given another opportunity to make up for his mistake if his father had yelled or cursed. But listening to his father speak in a very businesslike tone, James thought that his chance for succeeding the duke’s title had disappeared forever.

 

“I’ll send Count Perkins’ rangers to find the man who took the Dragon Heart. Join the rangers with the remaining Knights of the Griffin Order and help them identify the target. I’ll also dispatch reinforcements from here. No matter how long it takes, don’t think about returning home unless you retrieve the Dragon Heart.”

 

Eleven Ranger Units operated by imperial aristocrats were active in the Polermone Mountains. Since the borders with the three Kingdoms, Scandia, Ur and Tartaria, were made up of the Polermone Mountains, the operation of the Ranger Units specialized in mountain battles was essential for border defense. As most of the nobles, who had estates in the eastern region of the Icarus Empire, were imperialists, Duke Cronos’ influence on the east border was not significant. Still, Count Perkins, who bordered the territory of the Ur Kingdom and ran two Ranger Units, stood on Duke Cronos’ side.

 

James reported to Duke Cronos.

 

“We need the support of the sorcerers to track the man down, but the mage Benjamin, who is in charge of the sorcerers after Wizard Regulus died, refused to cooperate with us.”

 

“Two mages contracted with our family are on standby in Greenhorn, so I’ll send them to you.”

 

Most of the sorcerers were raised in the Wizard Towers. On the whole, the sorcerers did not teach magic to anyone other than their disciples who belonged to the same Wizard Tower, even though there were some exceptions like Lara, who learned magic from parents or acquaintances. Some sorcerers like Benjamin stayed in the Wizard Tower almost all the time throughout their whole life, making magic items to cover their research expenses. Still, most of the sorcerers, who spent their youth in the Wizard Tower and became a four-circle-expert mage, left the Wizard Tower for a certain period to be employed by wealthy nobles. They carried out missions given by the lords and even participated in feudal wars as war mages. After being employed by the aristocrats for several years, sometimes for more than a decade, and earning enough money for further research, they returned to the Wizard Tower to become a higher-circle sorcerer. Working for feudal lords for a certain period was inevitable for most sorcerers since they had to spend more research expenses as the number of magic circles increased.

 

Since it cost a lot of money to hire sorcerers, even wealthy nobles could employ only a few of them. Still, Duke Cronos hired many mages, including three six-circle mages. Aldebaran, a six-circle-master mage from the Mudria Wizard Tower, even signed a lifetime employment contract with Duke Cronos and was granted a pretty large piece of land in the Cronos Duchy. As the seven-circle Wizard Regulus participated in the dragon hunt, Duke Cronos did not send his own mages to the dragon’s lair. Still, he put two six-circle mages, Antares and Fomalhaut, on standby in the Free City Greenhorn, just in case. The Duke of Cronos, who ended the communication with James, immediately contacted Count Perkins through the magic communication crystal.

 

“Long time no see, Count Perkins. Something urgent has come up, so I’ll have to borrow the Ranger Units you are running.”

 

When Count Perkins’ face with sharp eyes appeared on his communication crystal, Duke Cronos spoke directly of his business. After briefly explaining what happened during the dragon hunt, Duke Cronos asked Count Perkins.

 

“How long does it take to mobilize your Ranger Units to search for the man?”

 

“A unit on guard in the northern part of my estate may arrive at the dragon’s lair tomorrow. It will take three days for the other unit in the south to move there.”

 

“I want you to mobilize both of your Ranger Units for the search. Let the Commander of the North Unit meet my son James tomorrow to hear the description of the man who took the Dragon Heart. In addition, I’ll send two six-circle mages to help your rangers. It’ll take two days for them to arrive at the scene. I’ll fully compensate you for your cooperation.”

 

“All right. I’ll send my Ranger Units to James.”

 

After communicating with Count Perkins, Duke Cronos called his aide to arrange an emergency meeting.

1