3: Challenge! Zu Mari Must Fight His Cousin For The Right To Rule!
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“ZU MARI! I challenge your honor and demand satisfaction!”

Zu had barely exited the library before the screaming banshee that was his cousin threw dirt at his face and shouted a challenge. Kayli missed his face, because he was so much taller now, and the dirt bounced off his strong chest without causing any harm. He brushed away at the spot anyway.

“Zu Mari! Answer me!”

Zu did not want to kill his cousin. She was beautiful and could be strong one day if she applied herself studiously and devotedly to his teachings. But right now, she was a child throwing a tantrum. She needed to be taught her place.

“I challenge you—“

“I hear your challenge.” Zu turned slowly to face her, his long hair billowing in the wind. His muscles rippled as he tightened one fist. “We will fight, but only to surrender. I do not wish to kill you today.”

“Coward,” she spat, then smiled wickedly. “But I will be happy to humiliate you until you beg for mercy.”

Zu nodded politely and stood with his arms crossed. He felt the fire within his soul stir in readiness. He felt the sword on his belt come awake, eager for blood. But he did not unleash his inner Phoenix, nor did he unsheathe Heart of Fire and Spirit of Twilight Death.

Kayli drew two swords and activated a Wind technique that Zu recognized as Floating Spirits Held. A shield that would protect her from any weak techniques that he tried to cast at her.

He did not make any move to attack. Zu knew his strength and hers were as different as the sun was different from the mud. She shouted and swung both her swords down in an arc.

Zu shifted his weight and extended two fingers, catching one blade between them while the other slashed harmlessly past him.

“You are ten thousand years too early to challenge me, Kayli.”

Zu flicked the blade with a third finger. It snapped in half with a sound like the heavens cracking open.

Kayli gaped and fell to her knees. “My spirit blade!” She looked up at Zu with tears of rage in her eyes. “How did you do that? How could you? You fiend!”

She swung her other sword at his stomach, but he took a single step back and it missed him completely.

“Stop mocking me! Fight me like a man!”

“A man does not needlessly hurt those weaker than himself,” Zu admonished.

“I am not weak!” Kayli shouted. She sprang up and ran at him, swinging wildly in every form she knew, her spirit seething within her like an angry torrent.

Zu could see that in this state there would be no reasoning with her until she was calmed. So he waited until she swung again, then caught the blade between his palms and twisted it from her grasp. The sword flew through the air and landed point first in the trunk of a tree where it stuck, vibrating from the force of the throw.

“I’m sorry, little cousin, but this is for your own good.” He reached out with a thread of his qi and heated it with a tiny spark of his inner soul phoenix fire, then imposed his will upon her spirit.

She was not weak, not compared to ordinary people, but before the strength of his will her inner tumult fell still and retreated. He could have crushed her core and forced her back to the very beginning if he had desired it. But he had other plans for her.

She sat down hard, stunned and dazed.

“Do you still imagine you can kill me and usurp my position?”

Kayli bowed to the ground, ashamed. “I am sorry, elder cousin. I did not see your strength. Now I see that I am unworthy and you have surpassed me in every way. You have truly earned the position of heir. I would be a poor leader if I were to take the position by force.”

“Do not despair, little sister.” Zu held out a hand and lifted her to her feet. “When my time comes to ascend to the heavens, I will need a loyal and faithful leader to leave behind and rule the clans when I am busy being a god. Follow my teachings, and you may become that heir someday.”

“I… I have something to confess,” Kayli said in a hoarse whisper.

“What is it, little sister?”

“Before I came to confront you myself, I sent out messages to the Eight Wild Clans. I told them that you were… that you were planning to take over our clan by sedition and turn us into a militant force. I told them that if you ever went out into the wilds, they should absolutely hunt you down and kill you on sight.”

“Is that all? Little sister, if I cannot handle the Eight Wild Clans, how do you expect me to become a god?”

“But, they are many and they have beast warriors and demon shifters and—“

“Do not worry yourself over it for one moment, little sister. I will be entirely safe. You need only follow my guidance and you will become great and wise like me.”

She nodded eagerly. “Yes, Elder Cousin, I would be very thankful if you bestowed this teaching upon me.”

“Then go and follow in my path. One day, you will be strong.”

“Thank you, Elder Cousin.” She bowed deeply to him, then ran to the tree to retrieve her sword.

Zu returned to the pavilion where he slept and sat in meditation. He knew his power surpassed that of anyone here except his grandfather, but would that be enough out in the wide world? He was not yet close to the level of the immortals who had fought above him that one day.

If Kayli had truly set the Eight Wild Clans against him… he would be beset by foes the moment he set foot outside of Mari clan territory. And that day was fast approaching. Before long he would have learned everything the clan resources could teach him.

Soon, he would have no choice but to face the untempered wrath of the Wild Clans.


 

0