=== Chapter 1 “A Loli”
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

=== Chapter 1 "A Loli"

 

I’m going to play this amazing video game now! You don’t need a keyboard even—you can control it with your own body! It’s so new technology you actually ought to but some VR devices first. They are like quite an investment, but not as much as you would think. But I say, it’s totally worth it, so the price matters less. So, I'm going to play Unwritten now, and become one of the many players in that game. I just can't wait until I get home and go online!

 

So the installation requires a little bit of work—I had to calibrate Synapse still at the shop for example, but after that you are ready to go. You just simply plug the thingies in at home and it should work...I mean if anything they said I would need to go back and recalibrate it again. But besides that, you have some options for the controllers for this game. Even a keyboard and mouse is okay, but that's more for desktop users—people who don’t use Synapse or VR. I had no idea that you could play without them, since the game was announced as a VRMMO.

 

Anyway I'm really set on making my character as super cute as it is possible. I heard a lot about this game, it took them twelve years, but in the end product you can also use stuff that people created for this world over that time. That includes clothes of course, various skins for objects in the game. They all have their price but gee, I just can't help but throw my money at this dream come true! Okay so do I have any ideas for my character?

 

[I'm going to make a girl, since everyone probably forgot about males existing in video games. So she must be really cute of course. Well, let's work on the body first...it seems this is as small as it can go. I’m honestly fine with this, unless I can help it later. Now about the clothes, you can pick from everything that is already in the game, as expected, but I have a certain imagine already. Okay, this should be fine...no let's change it a little so it fits better. Okay, now she looks more like a character I would play.]

 

The last thing is picking up a name. It won't be displayed over your head so it shouldn't matter. How about GLB them? I use that a lot in other video games so...I'm surprised no one actually got it here as well! Okay I can log in now. However I need to first put those things on...wow it sure takes time to strap everything onto my body. I feel strange.

 

On top of that it seems that the installation has finished? That is really fast, I didn't knew it takes less than an hour. During the online character creator application I thought it would take days or something, but I was pleasantly surprised, though I wouldn’t mind if this “dress up cute” mini-game was the entire thing. Ehehe~ All those clothes are really great! I really mean that. I took me one hour or more to create my character, but I felt like I could spend an entire or so day.

 

Yes, aside from that, let's focus on logging in again. So it says I should confirm calibration first with the game. Oh okay, many VR programs actually do that, so I'm not surprised. It also says I need to prepare my personal space for play. Right...Those are the basics, can I go to a tutorial or something? Oh, something appeared. It says that you need to learn controls...Whatever, I went through the whole thing fast—the signs that say what you can do in the game and what can happen...okay!

 

[Safety regulations...I clicked the ok button, but is anything happening yet? I should be teleported to somewhere—I don't even feel my avatar yet. My hands are those blue things that...wait a second, what is this? I'm feeling that I'm flying? There is no ground below...The wind pressure and acceleration is also present. I guess this is a part of this game? Okay I can see the image now. Right, I was on correct, I'm falling down from the sky and this world is huge! Wow, is that a giant city? It must be created by players.]

 

As I was playing around I found myself already inside this new and amazing experience. I can't fathom what others did feel, but as it hits you the first time, you just lay on the floor, afraid you would trip. Even if you are still in your room, you actually sense less the body you have in the real world, and more the avatar that you control in the game world...

 

Though if this is what everyone goes through I guess I will manage. Additionally, I'm falling down right now...Is that okay? Is that supposed to happen? Well, I can control my movement and where exactly I want to land, but that's about it. However, just now I noticed that I can't feel my entire body—there are spots like chest and around the crouch that can't be touched. Bugger, they had to make some restrictions, huh? Doesn't matter, this character is totally cute and pure—she wouldn't do that thing.

 

Yet I started sensing the rest of my tiny self. With my fingertips I learned the texture of my clothes and my skin, with my thighs and feet rubbing against each other I noticed just how little this child was. As I reached my hair, my face and my nose, the image of the puny arms imprinted into my head.  They were no longer computer generated, those were my hands. Grasping so, I started regretting making a little girl character, considering that my voice...

 

[Oh, so that’s the major problem huh? I should have read all the warnings about creating a character you would feel like being. No worries, I will figure something out. Right now I just can't go back and return...well I technically can but she is too cute! I wouldn't throw out a loli this pink and this totally cuters! Now that I think of it...what would be her voice? Very squeaky? Yea probably, she feels like a total airhead, just like me! Oh gushers, you are such a duche onni-chan! Or something like that.]

 

Of course I can't use my own voice because it doesn't fit, but why I'm really bothering with that now? I need to land first and then I'm going to worry about meeting other players. I decided to play as the archetype called Tank—I usually pick that role in video games. It probably works the same in this game too—I take damage for everyone and block hits. But I heard it’s a little different here? The entire system is not your classical MMO trinity type of thing, like everyone is expected to deal damage, but I will manage somehow I hope. If anything I can change my archetype later...though as a pegasus knight I should only use lances right? 

 

Nevertheless, I'm ought to pick some forest as my landing zone, because I don't want to start at an open plane. I need to learn the basics, like how to build a hut and how to prepare edible provisions...and eventually how to hunt and make friends with others. Hence, I wonder if I can speed up my fall a bit? I can, I simply need to hold forward. Ee? You don't control this game with your body?

 

Frankly, I guess I was really confused at first and forgot that I even had something in my hands. Now I know. There are buttons, so this game is not so different from others, at least in terms of...Yea, don't worry! I'm going to figure out things eventually. Maybe I would need to look that up online, but knowing that both of your body and controllers matter changes things, right?

 

[Okay, I better look this up before I land then. I mean I don't lose anything if I would get ganged right away, I think? Seriously I could have got used to this with the other mode, the Battle Royale one, but it's too late now. I really wanted...for this experience to be as genuine as possible, like where you get inserted into another world, with a different body, you have no idea what is going on and you need to adapt. Even if the news say video games are bad for you, I'm an adult!]

 

Yes, I can choose what I want to do with my life, and there is no one who can stop me...expect those scary looking trees. I just realised that if I fall on top of them, I'm going to get potentially hurt...wait how do you stop this thing! Ahh...Right, it slows down as you get closer to the ground. Thankfully I can stand now, I think? Wow, I still feel a little...

 

So the very first time I have made contact with this world, I was still sitting down inside my room. That means that I...landed with my butt on some kind of rocky ground. It didn't sting that much, but I also reacted with jumping in real life. I guess I'm a resident of this world now, despite that rough start. Luckily, the simulation did factor my clothes as well. Since I have something that can be called bottom protector, a soft cushion for the purpose of riding, I didn't take significant damage, or whatever you want to call it.

 

At least I think, I can't tell without the UI! Anyway, what I should do now? Maybe I should try to find other players? Hey, anyone there? Not from the sights of it. Actually, why would this girl be lost in the forest anyway? How about...Oh yea she is searching for someone. I just need to set up the voice program first...okay finished! Let's try this...

 

[Hello, can anyone hear me? How about my voice...okay I guess?

Let's try that more time! Kyaa! I lost my onii-chan and I'm a loli!]

 

===

 

[Who goes there? Are you a friendly perhaps? Oh, you look like a new player, just like me. I mean no harm, but if you want to fight I have nothing to lose you know? Though a little girl like you...I would feel bad.]

 

[No worries, I'm friendly! How could this is totals adobrs little girl even be a killer, other than causing heart attacks? Ishishi~ just kidders, I'm just saying hello, dear unknown person. You look like you could use some help, righto? Then have no fear! This dashing and completely gritty-meaty pegasus knight will shield you from the harms of the wild! Ha, how's that for a...]

 

[Your voice...it's way off! Can you stop using a voice changer or whatever that thing is? I would prefer you speak normally...]

 

[Oh what? I have been so keen-mean on this that I can't simply resist squeaking! I'm so in love with this I can't stop! Wowzers, can't you feel the charm that comes from a little girl who has been lost in the forest, trying to find her...big brother and then she flies somewhere on her totals cuters pegasus but then she gets in the fight and I guess the...Hey, I haven't even finished my story! We supposed to be having a normal conversation here, don't feel weird or anything.]

 

Yet as the pink Tank was trying to get the attention of the other girl, she got entranced into her story so much, she forgot that she was meant to ask her for a party invite. Yes, playing solo might be not the best solution here, anyone could tell. Still, it is possible if one has all the time in the world, or just has the money for high tier items. Nevertheless, for those who have nothing at the start it is difficult to get anywhere, and both of the girls didn't know that yet.

 

So, on this clean sky day, when the sun shined and the temperature was mild, two new adventures met for the first time. This thick forest, which was their starting point, was not the best possible spot for hunting, but at least it had wood. Basic materials are important to create houses, so there is that...yet knowing that anyone can gang you and kill you, in cold blood and without any consequences, is frightening. That only works of course if you are far away from cities.

 

But honestly, when you just start the game people are friendly, even too much, just because new players have nothing on them. Knowing so, the two girls who just happen to randomly met in the forest should not fear each other. Still, their problem is that they still lack a direction and wander like if they were actually lost in this uninhabited place, instead of trying to figure out what they should do.

 

[Okay sure, I might have said some things, but aren't you enjoying how this game works? I mean it's amazing, you almost feel like your consciousness is transported to a different world. I never played anything like that. In spite that in the past all those ridiculous visions of future existed, the current times are not that bad, since to a certain degree you can do stuff in the image of your dreams. That's why this world is amazing, right?]

 

[Stop following me if you don't want to get hurt! Jeez, what a pain, already I have to deal with annoying players. Hey, do you know how to mute other people? I won't mute you, I promise, just to know for future references, okay?]

 

[Why would I tell you? You’re obviously lying gurl! Also, I have no idea, how to even fight? Like there is a button...Ah! Sorry, I didn't mean to attack you! Oh...nothing happened though. There must be some kind of trick to PKing...]

 

[Wow, you are not trying to hide your intentions, aren't you? Hey let's go party, and then you would backstab me? It's good that I keep my distance. You're a melee type, so I figured I would play it smart and all. Anyway sorry, I don't even know who you are and why you came here. This area is not really popular you know. Are you...Oh my, you could be pretending that you are a new player and be after me! If you want to fight then I’m going...]

 

Saying so the dark skinned girl, who played the Mage archetype, was figuring out how she would be able to damage her foe. Of course, as a new player, she was clueless to how would she do that. Nevertheless, without being scary to the other, the small pink wearing girl who followed her around tried at least to apologise with a hand gesture. With meek face, joined hands in the air and kneeling a little, she expressed that she made a mistake, and that she had no ill intention.

 

The other noticing that, replied with her throwing hand in the air and slowly moving backwards. Unfortunately she hit a tree, and was shocked in an instant, covering her tiny head that got hurt. Well, now that she realised she can't run away, she started thinking...Will I be able to take on that girl if she challenged me in a duel? Oh yea, I don't know how to do that as well. Knowing so, eventually she would calm down and agree that she needs to learn the basics. This encounter was a good opportunity for her.

 

[Okay whatever, what is your name? I will add you to the friend list and maybe then to the party, since I know how. But besides that don't expect that I'm going to give you hospitality okay? I just need to figure out the controls.]

 

[Oh yea I need to that too! What nice opportunity we have here, right? I'm GLB, but you need to call me Jielby okay? Like when I made the name I figured it's not really girl-like so I made up a way to pronounce it differently. How ish it? Isn't it subar adorbs? I know right? Like when I say it I get twinky-pinky feeling rushing all over my body and I can't stop it! D'aww!]

 

[GLB is the name? Okay I added you. My name is Oddia, so don't be surprised if you get...Ah! A notification came? Okay I accepted you now, let me try to form a party...okay that should be the button, you just need to confirm.]

 

[Righto, but your name is a little...can I call you Oddie? I think that would be totals cuters, you know? Gee, when I squeaky-meaky it out of my little piper. It sounds really good! It's such an amazing feeling, this game!]

 

The completely entranced little girl was so into her delusions she almost tripped on the branch on the ground, while her hands were embracing her. Yet she didn't stop, she picked it up and...Her intention was to throw it, but as she raised it from the soil, it disappeared. It was how you pick up items, she realised quickly. Thus...

 

Testing out other stuff, like touching grass, the bark of the trees or even other stuffs, she came to a stop finally. Yes, you can move around with a stick but also with your body to a certain degree. This simple and ingenious system, although very unintuitive, was a hybrid of the VR technology and how video games supposed to work. To explain further...

 

There are two unrelated hitbox systems, one for your body tracking and one for your character. When you move in your room, you only affect the VR one. When you use the controller you actually change the position of the combat one. During battle, you can only affect enemies with your combat buttons—swinging the sword with your real life hand won’t work. Therefore, because of that, players are always confused at first. They try all those VR things until they realise that button controls are more useful.

 

[Okay I need to test every button...why even bother, I'm just going to read up online. You can't hit me while in party, right? I mean don't try that even, I was only asking.]

 

[Oh surey-worry, I am going to try this tree instead hiya! No damage! I guess that's not how wood I chop wood. Gee, I made a funises! Sorries! I just happen to have to awful personality so I make jokes all the time and be like...Wowzers I did that again! Don't worry, it's far from contagious, or bird flu, so you should be all fine and dandy.]

 

[I'm going to suffer through it if you can't help it. It's like my first time too—I don't want to be mean or something. Maybe like you played more video games than me, but I didn’t...Let's just say things are not always working out for me.]

 

[Jappers, what development! A sad and deep backstory of a...what is your character even supposed to be? A dark mage, maybe? You like floating above the air, but your clothes are really...where would you even get that? It looks subar coolers! Wowie!]

 

Looking at the lightly clothed, floating Oddie, the shorter girl was wondering about the origin of her character, but the idea “Can people enjoy this world if they don't disconnect from their lives?” never appeared in her mind. The truth was the Mage never planned to have any narration—she was just her own person, like many other players...

 

And with a few swings and clicks, both of the girls learned how to do the basic and special attacks. Knowing so, they started looking around for monsters to hunt. Yes, it is a natural thought that if you can smack something, there must be some mobs you can trouble. Nevertheless, they haven't learned yet how to make enemies appear...

 

It took some time to understand that you first need to find tracks and then interact with them...okay enough of that. In short they did some hunting and got some loot, but the problem was now what they should do next? Get a storage box? Build a house perhaps? All those things started to appear in the mind of two young adventures who just realised that...

 

[Wow this game is really basic, I didn't know you simply swing at monsters and run away when they want to hit you.]

 

[It's easy-peasy, isn't it? But let me say, it's a lot like the old games, where you didn't have an objective at all! You had to figure out what you want to do and how...and quite frankly I don't know even what I'm going to do next...Like we should probably find a town to rest at, drink a lot and then party? Yeah! That sounds like a barrel of fun!]

 

[Jielby, did you perhaps forgot that drinking is forbidden to minors? Also you don't need to use that voice changer. I told you it's fine, it's just a game, I won't judge you if you're a guy. Yet, you are right about this being fun. Never have I imagined that smacking little goblins or whatnot can be this enjoyable when you are actually the one doing it in person! VR is amazing!]

 

===

 

The two have found their way to the city called Maremoda. It is located between sea and a giant, steep mountain. It’s filled with pretty-to-eye, marine coloured stacks of little houses. The narrow rocky streets dominate the limited space of this sleepless town. With the only entrance being the beach, it fears not an attack from invaders, as siege machines are not useful here. Therefore, everyone can just enjoy this atmosphere to their leisure, without any worries, without the real world, without knowing anything.

 

Since the two young adventures wanted to talk more about the game, with someone knowledgeable, they started looking around. Their second objective was to find a bank, where they would stash their materials gathered during the hunt. Oh actually, they still don't know how to upgrade weapons or how to craft new ones, so they would probably want to learn that as well.

 

Thus climbing the straits, getting looked at by various other players, they wanted to say something to a certain standing person, but little did they know it was not a human, not currently at least. In this game there is a status called AI. Characters offline, of players who did set their bot properly, can perform various acts, like being a short clerk or a guard. They appear alive but in reality...

 

[Welcome to my shop girls, you must be interested in my stock of basic materials? I have all the kinds and rares too. Please take a look at our inventory, I'm sure that your need is at my shed. By the way check out this pamphlet too!]

 

[We are not shopping here, I was going to ask you about how do you equip skills? I also need to know how do you...Oh don't look at me as I'm a new player or something! You probably were in the same situation yourself mister. He?]

 

[Hey heya! Don't tell me that cat stole your tongue mister? That would be terrible for business, ya know? Wowzers, it's like he froze up suddenly. Ishishi~ it seems my adobrs charms are too danger-stranger! Should I tone it down?]

 

[If you please, could you...Whatever, I guess I can't complain since I'm actually glad for this a bit odd design. If this was like any other game, where you need to talk with NPC in order to get the quest, go places, and return just to say “I dun it”...or if this was like some simulation game, where you are so much limited with only certain terms NPCs will reply to...Now that I think about it I would not have enjoyed that. This game and the challenge it presents me, it’s novel and quite enjoyable, in spite of the inconveniences.  Do you also feel like you are actually in another world Jielby?]

 

Alas, it seems that the little pink one was still interested in getting at least a reaction from the clerk. Unfortunately, his expression was dead—he had his eyes and body frozen in place. Waving both hands hand near his face, pinching his cheeks, even aggressively kicking his small stand, all this did not move forward the conversation. Oh well, that was a good attempt.

 

[Hello mister! Hello...it's like when you open the refrigerator and wonder if the light is still lit up, or something, but can kinda see it going dark when you almost close the door. Oh my gee, messing with this guy is fun-fun, isn't it? Ishishi~ I should probably stop for today, since people are watching, but do you think if I asked him would he sell...]

 

[Right! We have all those things for sell! Please look around!]

 

[Can you sell me your soul? I mean maybe I don't like a cutie-lutie little succubus sister, but I can try for you okay? Ohoho~ look mister, I only want a little of your livey-sniffey energy, pretty please? Then I will give you my L~i~t...Eh, I can't do a good impression of a character like that, I'm just too adobrs to be anyone else but myself. Ishishi~]

 

[Maybe you should work on yourself a little more, like visit a shrink or so. Split personality disorder is not joke you know? Of course, I'm only half-serious, but I figured out something. I looked online, those things here are AIs, they are not...]

 

And as Oddie started explain the situation, the cheeks of to the frisk pink knight got a little red, matching her hair and outfit. It seems that in this game, the face you do in real life is read and translated to a suitable emote in the video game. Clueless, she probably was confused about why the other girl on the screen started to smirk. It took her a little to notice the reason, and doing so, she got even pinker on her face, trying to hide it her hands. Eventually it was over and just by chance...

 

[Hey! Have you heard? There is this amazing idol called Corona doing this concert like right around the corner! You guys want to check it out? She is like this fairy that does a few things, I'm like her biggest fan and...]

 

[Are you a player or an AI? I need to know first since we just had a bad experience with one...with this guy.]

 

[Oh no...I'm a player! Yes, I'm absolutely not an AI and I can even do a little dance! See? That's definitely not bot-like. So you two, let's go! We don't have much time until she sets up! I mean I wouldn't want to miss her utterly adorable voice!]

 

[Wait what kind of idol? What do you mean by performances? You mean like a in the game? How would you even...I'm confused, sorry. I mean we were just trying to ask a few questions about the controls and stuff. Actually, could you be of help? I want to know only a few things, so I won’t take much of your time. Is that okay, miss?]

 

Absolutely not hitting the mark, with her disinterest about idols, Oddia has caused the other girl to make strange expression. The little fairy, which had frilly clothes, had a face on a brink of crying, but at the same time it did not show dejection. Mixed with joy and misery, she hid briefly to wipe her tear before turning back and returning to normal. Her lively wings, fluttering as if she got excited, was a sign that she was filled with new determination to further her plan into reality.

 

With both clutched hands in the air and a spark in her eye, she made a cute pose, span around, jumped, and then...a curtain appeared before her. What was happening was quite strange to the other two—they had no idea actually. But when the dressing up process ended, they realised that this was nothing to be worrying about. The changed one, the small fairy who was now wearing her usual idol clothes, was beaming with her four limbs doing a lovely pose.

 

[Ha, you were surprised all that time, were you not? I'm actually Corona, the very adorable fairy idol herself in the flesh! So girls, you say you want to ask me all the questions about my career right? It's too early for fan questions by oh well. Ask me away! I'm all ears! Um...now that I think about it I should probably write a little biography, FAQ or something...]

 

[Ahem, right...what a surprise! You look subar cuters Corona! I can tell because I have an eye for this kind of stuff. Tell me, how you do equip skills? We have been trying to figure that out all day and nothing worked so I am confused.]

 

[Oh I see, you don't equip skills, you are born with them, just like this totally fabulous dancing ability that I got! Wanna see it? I have tons of videos for you to check out! They are under my stage name as well if you are wondering.]

 

[The skills in the game! She was talking about actual game mechanics here. You are a virtual idol and you can dance and sing—that part we got. Now we need something about the game itself. Like where do you learn them, how do you equip and how do you...]

 

With the piling up requests from her not so lovely fans, the fairy started to fret a little, with her body curling up slightly, and going backwards. Soon she felt even worse, but for her first real audience, or something like that, she couldn't give up now. Thus she cleaned her throat and did her pose again. That energy she got was enough to say...or so she thought. Again uneasy, she gave up on the act and reverted to her usual self. It was a girl who knows not her value and tends to apologise very often.

 

[Oh my goodness! I didn't mean to upset my loyal fans! I'm a player of this game too, just not that avid okay? And about...Well you learn skills by using weapons. In time you just get them, there is no visible bar or anything. Brand new characters, they start with zero, but they acquire new abilities really fast. Also, using different weapons give you different skills. So, it's not too late to experiment! You can change frequently, just like I did. Is that explanation fine? Did I help you girls?]

 

[Yes thanks. Now we don't have to worry about it anymore. We just need to work with we have, for the while. Say Corona, I figured...you must be a new player as well? How about we all team up together and have fun? Wait, first I need to do something about these.]

 

[You mean materials from monsters? They are used to upgrade your weapons. But don't worry about that, you need to find your style first. I will tell you now. If you smelt them you can’t get them back, so think about it before you end up wasting them on something you won’t even use. Also, to even do that you need to access the crafting menu. You know how to do what right? Let me...]

 

[Wowzers! Thanks fairy, you are as adorbs as you speak! I'm impressed you learned all this on your own and stuff, and by that I mean the poses you make when you try to explain everything were really helpful! Is that a part of your idol stuff too?]

 

Showing her enthusiasm, Jielby, who was the liveliest in this garden of flowers, was saying pretty words to the other. Yet the receiver, Corona, who was mostly doing those things unconsciously, got red all over her tiny face uncontrollably. Observing the relation between the two, Oddia, who was silent and standing still somewhere, had no idea what was going on. All those three girls were soon to become comrades in battle and no one knew what they will be doing on their next venture.

 

Yes, in this game you don't need just to battle, there is a lot of other stuff to do, like performing on the streets. So obviously if you notice someone acting not normal, it's completely understandable in this world. It's really nice.

 

===

 

And so, the trio was doing stuff together, which might have included hunting, dancing, performing, crafting and anything else one could imagine doing in this world. Obviously you need to allocate a lot of time for this game to get anywhere, and that means you also need to think very carefully about what is your goal here. Grinding is not the most exiting experiences in video games generally, but to get to the fun part...Yes, that is the problem our three little girls, who met by pure coincidence, were facing lately.

 

The everyday reality for players, especially newer ones, was the necessity of hunting. That included finding good spots, asking others about rare spawns and travel plans, since you couldn’t simply teleport exactly where you needed to go. Alternatively, one could just decide to venture without direction, with the hope that luck would follow them. But eventually everyone came to realisation, “Everything I do in this game needs to be efficient...”. That alone might drive a person to madness.

 

To outweigh that unpleasant feeling, you have friends you can talk to. Not only about game mechanics, can you literally talk about anything you fancy, be it pegasus knight’s dreams or fairy fantasies. Interesting people you meet and relate to along the way makes this social experience far more enjoyable than a simple MMO. It’s because people here are more like their true selves than in the outside world.

 

[Sho how is everyone? Should we go today where we did last time? Oh wowzers, don't make such a saddie facie Oddie. I'm sure this time there will be less people that do stupid things like leading an event boss towards another. Hey guys, let’s fight boss and the other one at the same time!]

 

[I'm not mad about that! It's just that you started hitting that thing instead of leaving it alone. That Aggroed it, and then it started to get stupid. I don't know about you two, but I can just teleport away. But besides that, don’t expect me to do anything about of stopping and defeating such a big monster alone! Therefore next time, just don't play the hero, okay?]

 

[Righto, that was my mistake, upsie! I just wanted to be a good knighty-plighty person and help them a little. I didn't say to follow my attack, did I? Because that my plan all along! If you would have just run away, it...]

 

[Okay now you blame me for not doing what I'm not supposed to do. Aren't you even afraid of dying and losing your stuff? When you die in this game you have a chance to drop something from your inventory. It's always a very small amount though—you won't be losing a weapon you are using or a very rare item. And to make it clear here, if you get downed it's fine. The problem is when there is another player or a monster that can finish you off. Only then you actually get the penalty.]

 

And sometimes it is understandable that even simple grinding can go wrong, which alone is not that bad, it’s just makes it more interesting. The things that can go wrong, with the tree pegasus sisters especially, are the spice of the game. Even if no one asked for it, it’s still fine, until someone complains. It seems that because some people were just not that all aware of the goal, Oddia awaked to being a little more serious about playing the game.

 

[Well girls, something tells me that if want to hunt for stronger monsters, we need more people right? But only if you girls are okay...I mean I had fun but we also need to be aware we are not progressing well at all! Hmm, I don't want to sound soul-crushing here so I'm going say something. We should definitely think about improving our team, first and foremost. I also don't mind searching for new members now, because I don’t think we have anything else to do right now. I'm also kinda bored.]

 

[Oh yea that reminds me, you guys have not yet heard my amazing performance! I mean, it's not a big deal or anything. Ehehe~ That's why you should! I can do it right now even, if you girls want, though I would need to make sure my room is ready...]

 

[That’s why I said we should not spend our time idly! Because of those distractions we are unable to focus, be it outside or during combat. I’m not sure if you girls are aware, but there are a lot of combinations we could use, if we only focused on teamwork instead of showing off.]

 

What Oddia said, about needing more members, eventually made others realise. As a team they lacked a healer. Of course that role is very important for their productivity, since then they will be able defeat even more powerful monsters, which then translates to even more riches! Why would they be this craving for profit, with their saliva almost gushing out of their mouths? Obviously...that was because they stood in front of a meat restaurant which had many exotic dishes on their display.

 

Even though the poorly dressed Mage was the one to complain about money problems the most, they all agreed that the food in this world cost way too much. To make things more clear, for the three new players it takes about a week of grinding to afford a full course meat. Knowing so, what would be their feelings during the hunt? Every strike with their weapon translated to a bite of that juicy favour only found in this world. If one would think about that dependence, it’s exactly the same as the relation between employment and hunger in real world worked.

 

[Say Oddie, you have a pretty smart brain there, beneath that floaty-coaty head of yours. I agree we need more girls! But I won't accept anyone that's random, those can just eat dirt. They would never keep up with my amaze-daze speed! But just one more extra should be fine, righto? If we go crazy, the split is going to be much! That's my opinion.]

 

[If you really think so Jielby, then did you consider that we would get more and higher class materials with more party members? That's how this game works...at least so far. Then it shouldn't be a problem, unless you are just afraid they would trick...]

 

[No way hosay, I'm not taking risks, and that's because all we need is a good Priest, right? Obviously I ish smarts, we have all the damage already. So, just maybe, I can take one more person, if I like her. But that's about it okay?]

 

[Are you going to be really that? I guess we can start searching now. Of course we are going to split, right girls? I'm going to go left, you can right, and Oddie will go...where she wants I guess? Oh I'm sorry, I didn't ask you.]

 

And by splitting themselves somehow evenly, they all started looking around the streets of Maremoda. But eventually, they found that were going in circles, so instead they decided to go as a proper group. Yes...and then they found a church, puzzled to why it was there in the first place. Obviously it wasn’t a real deal, but nevertheless, that didn’t change the fact that it was there. “Perhaps a priest would be inside?” Corona thought while looking at the construction made out of metal, wood and stone.

 

[This place...this is where you pray, right? I'm a fairy, so technically I shouldn’t enter. They could like sprinkle holy water or burn me right away if I asked them to join parties!]

 

[Yea, that won't happen. People are nice in towns because they will get smacked by AI guards. No need to worry about your stuff, or your skin. However, if you really want just stay here...]

 

[Righto, perhaps Corona is afraid that her clothes are not really okay for a church visit, huh? You are always subar cuters! Your power of cute-to-the-boot will shield you from being kicked out!]

 

[Why thank you Jielby, that was quite sudden of you to notice my shyness lies in the outfit I'm wearing. But no, I just want to state the obvious that the inner gates are locked, as you can see. Come here...]

 

The green little idol fairy was right—the large wooden door to the church itself was closed and that was a no-entry sign on it. But as for the small metal door to the courtyard...

 

[Welcome my children, please do not be afraid to enter the sanctuary of his holiness. At the moment...*Yawn* we are closed to accept visitors, because the renovation is in progress, but do come in if you desire to pray.]

 

[We would want to plead, rather than pray. Are you working here, miss cleric?]

 

[My name is Noctia, and yes I'm technically a priest here, in spite being a woman. Furthermore, despite being a lady, people often see me as a child due my little size...but that's not important right now. You came here with an issue? It is said that listening is a virtue, thus allow my ears to hear, and my wisdom to listen to your problem children.]

 

[Wowzers, you have such a big owly-dowly eyes sister! I mean...is it okay to call you that since technically...Jeepers, this is kinda confusing, let's just go with Noctia, okay? Sho, the girls here and I are subars hunters. We are just lacking a healer for our butts to be safe. You probably play that archetype, I'm not wrong? That's why...]

 

Nodded with understanding, the little owl-like looking girl started to think a little and then yawned. She looked tired, but conscious to the situation nevertheless. Gesturing others to come inside, the three sistsers, one at the time, passed through the narrow passage opened by Noctia and into the yard of this small chapel. There she would lead them to a small wooden door on the side.

 

As she opened the screeching door, the interior appeared as a small room, with a tiny table and kitchen. A very homely picture, though only with a single window and a chair. The three adventures entered, looking around curiously inside the small room.

 

[Forgive me that I am not able to produce more than one sitting place, but so are times of clergy here. We receive small donations so there luxury is not something we can afford. Nevertheless do sit down...On the floor perhaps? I shall prepare cushions right away! Umm...two are enough? Um, I don't need one.]

 

[Thank you for the hospitality, but we are here just for one thing. Noctia, would you like to go hunting with us? I'm going to introduce us all. I'm Oddia, this is Corona, and right there, doing silly stuff on the table is Jielby. Don't mind her, she is just hyper about everything. That's a good thing right? I mean that shows how good we are...]

 

[More or less...I understand that you children want to hunt beasts along side of a member of clergy yes? Them sure, I won’t say no, knowing that I need money myself...I mean the church needs money...*Yawn* but not today, I'm afraid. My usual time is very late in the night, so this is very early for me...and a free day nevertheless. Is that fine?]

 

[Yes of course. I mean as long as we get together, its fine. Also Noctia, if you feeling like sleeping now, go ahead. We will meet you later and try to stay awake. That will be for the best for all us here, right girls?]

 

That was it for Oddia. Everything fitted perfectly, Noctia was a girl, she played a Priest, and despite her playing time, she was totally okay with everyone, especially Jielby who is currently...What was she doing even? Like trying to climb the table and hang upside-down from it? But in spite that strange first impression, the smiling cleric appeared pleasantly entertained by it.

 

[This is sho much fun girls! You should try that too. I feel like a little girlie-squirrelie now *giggle*]

 

[There there child, Lord doesn't want you hurting your adorable little head. Be a good girl and listen to mother Noctia.]

 

With a gentle hand and kind touch, the nun raised the hanging in the air head of the childish pink girl, and placed it inside her embrace. Doing so, one that playing around returned to the ground on her own. Afterwards she would somehow find her place on top of Noctia's lap, since she did sit down on the floor.

 

[Yes my children, you can count on mother Noctia, she will protect you from harm of the vile beast, at least at night. Pff~]

 

[Oh that supposed to be my job mom! Gee, you are spoiling me...but this is sho funsies!]

 

[Yes my little child, you don’t need money to have fun. All you need is...well that...]

 

===

 

It was night as we set this fire place near the beach. It wasn't my idea but Jielby's, who wanted us to camp the night. A strange thing really but in this game whatever you do, you act like you are actually doing that in real life. Therefore, quite reluctantly, I must also agree that I had the desire to behave normally, instead like you would do in any other game.

 

So naturally when the night shows up, when the stars appear on the black sky along with the Moon, it is time to go to sleep. That practice is also connected with quitting the game and going to back to the real world, so no wonder that's a thing here. But tonight was a little different. Before saying our good nights, all the four of us gathered in hope that a thing was going to happen.

 

Knowing the pegasus knight, she was planning something all along, so I could only wonder what would be the big reveal. Thus, me sitting with my legs crossed on the sand, Corona having her lower limbs on the side, Noctia who was resting in seiza, and finally Jielby, who was anything but standing still, we all were resting near the fireplace, waiting for that moment.

 

[Sho girls, do you know why I did brought you all there huh? It's a very special memorial today, or will be in later days. I was thinking, playing with all of you was really fun, so why not make it an official thing? Wowzers! I love that idea! What I want to say that we should defins make our own girl only guild. Now don't be sandy-mandie here, I know it's sudden! Butters, I already got everything figured out. All you have to do is a little thing so we would remember this day okay?]

 

[What exactly do you expect from us Jielby? I don't mind creating a guild but don't we have too little members at the moment? The limit should be like ten or so, so we are missing a few here...nevertheless, I find that is a great idea actually. Say, you might be short-sighted sometimes but you do know how to make a smile, and that comes from someone who always complains.]

 

[Right, you were always going on about this hunt and the other, but you end up just laughing it off. I’m also happy really, you give me the hope that I can become a real idol. For that you can have my support Jielby. But be less clingy, okay?]

 

[Yes sir of courise-horsie! About that thing, I thought that we should all introduce ourselves before actually doing this. You know, just show yourself, tell something about your looks or so...basic stuff. I could start if you all agree okay? I'm going to do a little stand up and you gotta ask me questions, that's all! How easy-peasy, ain't it? Bam, let's go go!]

 

Everyone nodded and the little pink knight showed her entirely in a heroic pose. She normally resembles just a girl with a lance, but there are charm points about her. She has big pink eyes, short messy full bangs cerise hair with white ends and two doltish, ahoges shaped like little wings. On her chest she has a light pink tunic that splits into four parts at the length of her hips. Each of them is decorated with feathery trim. She also has a white shirt with puffy sleeves underneath and a leather breastplate.

 

Covering her belly button are her tight-fitting short leather riding pants, which are rose quartz and have little cushions in the back. Attached to them by silky garter belts on front and back are the white high thighs, which are also reinforced with leather knee pads. Going down she has long and thin pinkish riding boots which have little heels and white lower part. Covering the rest of her hands, originating from under the sleeve of the white shirt, are the upper arm long cream fingerless gloves, and leather wrist protectors.

 

All this lovely image of a knight using a lance, which compacts when is attached to her back by a strap, is adored by few cute details. She has little wing emblem buttons on her gather belt, short pants and her gloves. There are adorable inscriptions on her short blade that look like a delicate wing of a dove. All the lovely and girly things, red to sandy-like pink and white, that's Jielby for you.

 

[Okay so, what was the idea being the name Jielby? It sounds like jail bait. Are you suggesting that you are fooling someone here? I mean...Oh my goodness! I didn't want to sound offensive, just the name is kinda weird you know? Please don't take revenge on the poor fairy...]

 

[Nonsense, we all know you are purers Corona, so saying childish things like that is a-okay. I will answer your question for free! So all you know my name comes from the ancient lineage of pegasus knights that...something-numbting, that’s all I can remember. I got the idea from the word pigeon, but in language different than English. Yet the nickname I use sounds more cuters, doesn’t it?]

 

[Okay my question then. Please child, have you ever considered taking a part in interpersonal communication sessions? I say so because I worry about your speech. It lacks the dignity of the emblem you carry, thus I wonder if I could help. It is quite a simple thing, since I do read to holy book to the visitors. I wish you come and listen, for you own sake.]

 

[Okayrino, answerino! I speak like that because I want to, that's all! There is no secret, other that it's absocutely! If you tried yourself you probably would too, because I grew to hate normal speech the second I started throwing upsies. Yet, you might be right, I should totals visit your church and give a reading myself! That would be totals radie-baddie!]

 

I agree. It would be bad if you did that, but it also seems that there were no other questions for her. Thus next up was the fairy. As expected, her outfit and demeanour is quite natural, using materials like leaves and vines. As for her emerald medium hairstyle, it is fashioned into pigtails with mauve ends, along with butterfly bow clips in the middle. On her head there is a white amaryllis, though it looks more like a crown. On her back she has her famous pixie-like wings that shine with white, purple and green colours.

 

As for her top, she has a waist length halter-type shirt with three sets of ruffles, finished with chrysanthemum-like soft trimming. Below her visible bellybutton there is a very puffy green wide gathered skirt with at least two sets of lime petticoats underneath it. On the surface of the material there are several prints, like lively garden fruits, adorable fairies, lovely butterflies and glitter. Those also appear on her snow white high thighs. Further she has mauve flat Mary Janes with light green ribbons around her thin ankles.

 

On her right hand she has a long green glove, which has similar trim to her shirt and on her left she is adored with a white corsage that has a large purple butterfly ribbon on top of it. Speaking about her hands, her weapon is a narcissus-like horn which she blow to release little pink hearts. It supposed to be a crossbow but I guess it works, since her entire image is utterly out of this world.

 

[Um, Corona, may I ask you something? Your image is something else, it's like a fairy idol, but I find it quite strange. I can understand the shirt and the skirt, even that you show a lot of skin, but isn't it a little airy for your thighs? Don't ask me, I'm not the expert when it comes to fashion, as you can see from my dirty rugs. I wonder though, is that wholly fine?]

 

[Absolutely! Idols are always required to squeeze their legs so there is no use if you cover everything up. It's like, I don't mind it, but if people find it cute then I might as well do it, you know? When you dance, jump, move your body, it's always important to know what is the next step. Without the feeling of your skin directly rubbing against itself, you would not recall the muscle memory of your performance. That's what I read online at least, so it must be the truth!]

 

[Listen child, I know you are quite happy during your time at stage, but have you considered your own disposition? I would not want to pry, but it is said that whoever hits you on the cheek, offer him the other also. As for you, you always try to apologize for things you have not done. I want you to know there is no need, we do understand.]

 

[I'm sorry! I'm always like that because I worry that I have done something wrong! But then I wait a little and...well I come down and know everything is all right. By that I mean, what was the question? Have I considered what...oh okay, I mean I'm always myself, there is no way I'm doing a fake personality, like all those other idols, right girls?]

 

Something like that, thank you Corona. Next on the spotlight is our cleric, who just woke up and is feeling quite alive. Despite her outfit resembling a typical Priest you would find in video games, there is a bit of twist in her appearance. She has a white nun's coif which covers her hair entirely. Above she has a feathery amber hat with a V-like middle part that reaches as far as her nose. It resembles both an owl's head and eyebrows. Nevertheless, her yellow eyes are peaceful.

 

As for her outerwear, she has a long fuzzy cape in shape and colour of a small predatory bird, which is her motive. It reaches all the way towards the ground, where she has her angelic white stretch shoes on tiny elegant Cuban heels. Hiding her no so flat belly is the unostentatious tunic and a modest long mermaid dress, both in majestic sandy brown.

 

You can usually find her gospel, which is her weapon, in her hands that wear white lace gloves with feathery trip. As for her pigmentation, her colours on the cape and hat especially supposed to resemble a northern saw-whet owl.

 

[I was always wondering Noctia, why the owlie-smiley? You are a creature of the night, I do understand that alone, but gee, when I look at this adobrs little owl I want to *hoot hoot*, or however you say d'aww in bird language!]

 

[Might you been a little more attentive child, you would probably already have learned the connection. Here is a tip, when I recall my wisdom, what is the first image that appeared in your mind? It is that simple, I have nothing to add.]

 

[Yea, that was obvious. Say Noctia, you are always playing at night, so you don't have the time to enjoy the sun. Is there perhaps something we could do for you? I mean ask of us anything, and we might be able to convenience you.]

 

[It matters not if I play at night or day, because I simply must. It would be nice to see the light but frankly, I got used to the moon and stars that much I can't say I'm missing anything. When asking me, quiz yourself as well. Would you be happier doing the night Oddie? I think that depends on how much you would be willing to stay awake.]

 

That's a good answer, and I think I will try that sometime. Not sleeping however might be dangerous...oh wait a second! It's my turn now. I almost fallen asleep during this silent night, near the gentle campfire, surrounded by my comrades. I should say something about myself and answer their questions right? Okay...yet that wouldn't make for a long speech.

 

[I'm Oddia, but some of your guys call me Oddie. I'm fine with that. I also wear these rugs, like this shirt. If I didn't find this awesome raven-like coat that I picked up from the ground, I'm serious I didn't buy it, I would probably think of getting normal clothes. But alas, I'm a cheapskate and no way I spending even more. By that I mean I barely was able to afford all those controllers...oh okay, that should be sufficient for now.]

 

Nevertheless, when I finished my short speech, probably the most boring one too, the girls were giving me some gazes. Was that because they didn't get used to how I looked, or perhaps envied my luck? Oh well, they will get over it eventually.

 

[Say Oddie, what about your name? I was always interested how did you get that and what it means? Maybe it's like that ballet, with the black swan character. What was her name again...I forgot.]

 

[Oh so you thinking that I made this character and I just happen to find an item fitting to that image? That should be the other way around, right? So no, I'm not into ballet or into becoming a dancer either. My name is something I figured myself. It's kinda like odd, but with a little push that makes it fresh.]

 

[Righto, my question! My favourite Oddie would not mind if I asked her something very personal right? Ishishi~ I mean we all girls so there is no problem about that. What interests me dearly-searly is your luck with the boys.]

 

[I have not the luck, neither I'm interested...next question.]

 

Okay, I managed to stop the worst and now, with everyone staying silent, it was the time for the organizer to speak. What important words was she to tell us, I was wondering, while the remaining three of us gathered near the middle. We were almost sitting on top of each other, but it wasn't unpleasant at all. The opposite of that, it was snugly.

 

Last time I could have feel that was when I was a little scout girl, together with my classmates under the same tent. We made a vow that we will never ask out boys until they said sorry first, but that was just a little girlish promise. It matters not now, we probably all broke those words at some point. Yet, this is the first time in my life that I feel...

 

It's strange to describe this nostalgic feeling, that befallen not only me, but upon all the four of us. With the moon over us and the flame quietly sizzling, this cosy moment was the reason for me to play.

0