Chapter 1: The Lost Transmigrator in the Woods
56 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Mm..."

I lethargically lifted up my body from the comfy mattress and stretched out my arms to the sky.

"Huaa... What time is it?"

A groggy voice escaped from my mouth as I reached towards my cellphone lying still beside me.

Turning on the phone, a bright light immediately hit my eyes, making me squint slightly.

'9:05... Seems like I had a good sleep.'

I lazily rubbed my tired eyes and got out of bed. As I felt more lethargic than usual, I decided to open the curtains to bask in the sun.

"Ack..."

I felt the slight pain of sunlight hitting my eyes, but thankfully, it stopped hurting after a few seconds and I felt more energized.

"Huaa..."

I let out another yawn as I looked outside the small window.

"Popo, come out."

I called out to "it", and quite surprisingly, a blue screen appeared right before me and started talking with a robotic voice.

[Dear Host, my name is not Popo.]

'Huh, that's the first time he's ever responded to that name.'

I slightly widened my eyes in genuine shock. The blue screen, which noticed my expression explained in disdain.

[It is true that I said I'd only respond if you said the keywords, but I too have pride and ego, Dear Host.]

"Ah... Wait, what?"'

[I'm not just a system. I have pride too.]

"Oh... Is that so?"

I tilted my head slightly.

"Well, whatever. How many hours until I can pull out another memory again?"

[Say please first.]

"Is this revenge for hurting your pride?"

[I am simply asking for an apology, Dear Host.]

My mouth twitched a little. 

"...Alright. Please tell me oh-great-system, how many hours do I have left until I can pull out another memory again?"

I asked in a robotic tone mimicking the blue screen's ambiguous voice.

The blue screen slightly turned darker for a moment, but went back to it's original color again.

[5 hours left.]

"Oh, what a bummer. I was thinking of pulling out [1,525]."

I sighed bitterly as I headed to the bathroom and took a long, cold shower.

***

"Locked."

I shook the door handle of my apartment room, confirming that it was locked.

'Let's go.'

I put the key in my pocket and finally left my apartment.

But what greeted me as I walked out of the apartment was not a modern city, but a place full of ruined, rusty buildings and moss.

It was a ruined city. Instead of people roaming around the streets, there were only strays and birds that would get scared and run away once you got near them.

I calmly stepped on the lifeless pavement and went on my way, to the forest.

But as I walked on the mossy pavement, a cute, tiny yellow bird flew on my shoulder.

"Ah, Goldie. Good morning."

I smiled at the chirping bird. This is my friend, Goldie. After saving him from a monster and treating his wings, this little bird felt thankful to me and started to greet me every morning.

The yellow bird rubbed its head on my neck like a clingy puppy.

'Cute.'

I carefully stroked it's head.

"You're much cuter than Popo."

I chuckled slightly, triggering a certain blue screen.

[I am much more superior than this fragile chick. This little chick simply depends on others for it's own needs. Quite foolish if you ask me. And also, my name is not Popo.]

"...What do you know about the world? Goldie just wants a friend."

I scolded the robotic voice, continuing to pet Goldie's fluffy feathers.

[Friend? Companionship is utterly useless unless you're weak.]

"What do you mean by that?"

Intrigued by his reply, I decided to question him out of curiosity.

[Why would you need friends if you're already strong?]

"To remedy your loneliness...?"

[Only the weak worry about that. Ugh, such greedy fools. They're already so weak, yet they dare wish for more? They've been given an opportunity to change their life, but they dare say they're not satisfied?]

"Well, it's true that humans are indeed greedy. But friends are an important part of your life. Sure you're strong, but you're still lonely at the end of the day."

I said with a hint of sorrow as I stared at the sunny sky.

[Exactly. You humans are just attention seekers.]

"...What's wrong with wanting to be noticed?"

[It's useless. You only need power and intelligence to survive.]

"...Jeez, who told you these things?"

[My past experiences did. Oh! I know, why don't I tell you a story about one of them?]

I momentarily shifted my gaze to the blue screen. Hm... Well, it might be interesting.

"What...? Well, okay then."

I agreed out of curiosity and the blue screen started talking again.

[There was this one time when my ex-host was bullied by his classmates all the time. After I appeared and helped him become stronger, he started to show off his powers multiple times, earning the respect of others. His bullies became his friends, and one day, a girl asked him out. Although he did not know the girl at all, he agreed and became her boyfriend.]

[But in a shocking turn of events, the girl was actually using him for fame and didn't love him at all. Furthermore, she was cheating on him with his so-called "friend". My ex-host was so mad that he destroyed his world and committed suicide. All because of companionship...]

My calm expression quickly turned into an unpleasant frown. The poor boy's life was a tragedy-in-disguise. He believed that his life changed, but in actuality, it wasn't that different at all.

[After that, a few more worlds got destroyed.]

I paused momentarily. What?

"....Why?"

[Because all my ex-hosts destroyed them.]

"...Oh."

[Now you get it, right?]

"Mhm."

I nodded a few times in response.

[Excellent. I hope you won't turn out like the others, Dear Host.]

"There's no way I will. And, I'm a special case aren't I? Your creator specifically asked for you to help me."

[Don't praise yourself for being "special". My creator only pitied you, foolish lamb.]

"Well, that's the first time you've ever called me a lamb... Oh. We're here."

The blue screen disappeared shortly after I walked into the dark forest in front of me.

The Dark Forest. A forest so dark that it seems as if it's still midnight once you're inside the forest. One could easily get lost and be unable to find their way out because the sun is covered by the dark-green foliage.

"Hup."

I leisurely sat under a tree and pulled out a rolled-up map from my pockets.

"Let's see... It's summer, so there should be many wolf packs roaming around."

At this time of year, it's quite common for wolves to search for a mate and hunt for food.

"With their howls, it'll be easy to find and hunt them."

I grinned as the thoughts of greed occupied my mind.

'If I could hunt 10 of them, I'll make a big profit.'

After examining the map furthermore, I finally stood up from the ground and wiped off the dust on my pants.

I then unsheathed the sword attached to my side and began walking to my destination. A place where the wolves live.

"Awooo!!"

A howl of a wolf alerted my instincts. Sounds like it's on the right.

I quickly ran in the direction of the sound, cutting off the branches that stood in my way.

A few minutes later, sweat started to form on top of my forehead, but I didn't feel tired at all.

"Popo, tell me how many wolves are there."

[I won't answer you if you keep calling me that.]

Urgh. It was a difficult sacrifice to make, but it was inevitable.

"...Moderator, how many wolves are there?"

[Quite obvious. There's only one.]

"Oh... Seems like it's not a pack."

I was slightly disappointed. Oh well, one wolf is still worth money.

"By the way, could you tell me it's coordinates?"

After running for more than 5 minutes straight, it's only natural that I'd forget which direction the wolf howled.

[Go left.]

"Thanks."

I shifted my direction to the west and started going faster. Meanwhile, droplets of sweat were falling down to the ground like rain.

"Grrr..."

Hearing the wolf's voice, I could tell I was getting closer.

But as I got closer, I soon realized there was not only one voice, but two.

"Could you tell me where I am, little wolf?"

An unfamiliar stoic voice disrupted my run.

"Who the hell...?"

As far as I know, there was no other human in this ruined city except for me. But it's such a big city, so it's possible that I simply did not sense their presence until now.

Out of habit, I silently sneaked closer to the two voices and hid behind a tree.

"Grrr..."

"I don't mean any harm."

The sound of footsteps entered my ears. Out of curiosity, I took a little peek at the two different beings.

"Grrrr...!!!"

The wolf pounced on the man's arm, but the man easily grabbed the wolf by the neck and pulled its fangs away from his arm.

I widened my eyes in utter surprise. The man's arm was clearly unscathed, as if he was a superhuman...

"It seems that the negotiations aren't working...."

The wolf turned pale.

"Then I guess I have no other choice but to..."

The wolf started to squirm helplessly, but struggled to get out of the man's grasp. His hands were just too strong. So strong that they didn't even move when the big wolf was wiggling his body non-stop.

"What the hell is that guy...?"

I watched the weird scenery in front of me with a dumbfounded expression.

"Po- I mean, Moderator, can you tell me about that guy?"

I whispered to the air. Shortly after, a blue screen appeared from the direction I was whispering to.

[I can't. He's not from this world.]

...

'...What?'

brain stopped working.exe.

"You're joking, right?"

I chuckled a bit.

[I don't joke.]

"...For real?"

[Yes. Although I've been through different worlds, I only take information from the world's record tree. This human was not born from this world, therefore only his existence and status are recorded.]

"What... Then can you tell me his status at least?"

[Unfortunately, no. From the looks of it, his information is being protected by the tree. Honestly, I'm starting to think this human is quite interesting...]

'Hold on, his information is being protected by the tree...?'

Ignoring Popo's voice, I peeked out from the tree again and stared at the man who was freakishly smiling at the struggling, poor wolf.

"Cute."

He chuckled like a madman. (exaggerated)

"...."

I didn't expect I'd meet a crazy fellow here.

Anyway, considering he's protected by the record tree, this guy might be dangerous to mess with...

He easily grabbed a wolf by it's neck and didn't even get injured from a bite. How else is he not dangerous?!

My heart started to get panicked. Right, let's just walk away from here.

But as I began to slowly walk away from the crime scene, I accidentally stepped on a tree branch.

Crack---

"...."

[....]

The man immediately shifted his gaze towards me.

"There's someone else here...?"

He slightly widened his eyes in relief. Meanwhile, I was sweating buckets of sweat.

The man let go of the wolf's neck and walked towards me step by step. I silently cursed at the wolf as I watched it run away. You lucky bastard...

"Hello."

He greeted me with a scary smile and reached his hand out to me for a handshake.

"...H-hello."

I hesitantly shook his hand and put on a friendly smile.

"Um... Can I ask you something?"

The man asked with an indifferent expression.

"...Su-sure, sure!"

I vigorously nodded my head. Please go away quickly!!

"Do you know where I am right now?"

"Uhh... Y-you're in The Dark Forest right now."

"Dark Forest...?"

The man tilted his head slightly. He was sure this kind of place didn't exist in Japan. Maybe I'm in a different country? He thought.

"...I see. I'm... Rai, by the way."

"Oh..."

I really didn't want to give him my name, but I was too afraid not to.

"I'm Johan."

Rai widened his eyes again.

"Johan? Are you American?"

"....???"

'American? What the hell is that? Food?'

"Err... What's American?"

"...Huh?"

"...."

Somehow, a weird atmosphere was created. The both of us silently looked at each other in confusion.

"....What country are we in?"

"Um... We're in Gryphor right now."

I calmly answered. Perhaps American was some sort of word from his old world?

"Gryphor..."

The man stared at the ground quietly.

'I should just let him be...'

He's probably really confused right now. Well, I was too. I mean, seriously? A person from another world? The World's Record Tree? Protecting this strange dude?

'Give me a break, would you?'

I sighed deep inside my heart.

"I see..."

The man's calm face turned into a displeased expression. So I really died... He thought.

Rai pursed his lips tightly, unable to control his tears from falling down his cheeks.

"...."

I silently looked at him. Can someone tell me how the hell you comfort a person?

"A-are you okay?"

I patted his shoulder multiple times, hoping it would help comfort him.

"...It's fine."

He bitterly rubbed off his tears and suddenly jerked his head up, startling me.

"...!"

'Holy shit, that jumpscared me a little.' He moved his head so fast that I almost flinched.

"Johan... Do you have a house?"

He asked with his usual calm expression as if he didn't cry at all, making direct eye contact with me. If someone saw this from a distance, they wouldn't even realize his red puffy eyes that still had residue tears hanging down his lashes.

"...Ye-yes?"

"I—"

Rai opened his mouth but paused momentarily. Should I really tell this to a stranger? He thought.

After a few seconds, his voice finally came out.

"You see... I... I'm actually from another world."

"....."

Am I supposed to clap or something?

0