Ch2:(If you Close your Eyes)
168 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ch2:(If you Close your Eyes)

=====

Luke Vanitas was best described as ordinary, with black hair and grey eyes he was the type of person that blended seamlessly into a crowd. His family even had a bit of money so he lived quite comfortably.  

Nonetheless Luke never knew who his parents were. The real thing of real interest is that he was an orphan who had a big house to himself. 

Servants were there to attend to his every need, despite having everything he could ever want Luke was hopelessly lonely. While rummaging through an old attic he came across an acceptance letter, the stamp of which was titled September 1st, 20Xx.  

He curiously broke the red wax seal with a slight hesitation, inside the envelope was a registration form for Clocktower Technical College of Magic. Yet that didn’t make any sense, the paper was withered by time.

Perhaps it was something Luke's father left behind. The old man had always been secretive with his job but the funeral happened as if it were yesterday. A strange group of hooded figures showed up to the procession while Luke was escorted home by a servant. 

In terms of national regard the Beacon Institution of Alexandria, and the floating isles of Kremastós Academy were ranked high as the other two big schools.  

It was already a few weeks into the school year and Luke was known to be incapable of using Aura. So maybe it was a mistake? But no such tightly controlled global organization like Clocktower ever made a big screw up.

Everything the staff and administration did was not without reason, each decision was highly calculated by the mysterious nameless Headmaster. Luke’s deceased parents had to be involved.

Regardless, Luke had always dreamed of attending Clocktower. He had proof he was meant to be a student, in fear of the college’s reputation being tarnished no one would be able to turn him away!    

“Alfred, I have my suitcase packed so I just need you to prepare the private jet. For the next four years I’ll be abroad studying in London so I expect you to look after the estate.” Luke commanded.

“If that is your wish, it will be carried out. I look forward to your return Master Vanitas...” The stoic butler with grey hair and a moustache responded. 

Luke melancholy took in the empty image of his house. It would be a long while until he was home again.   

=====

Compared to the South of France, the inner city of London was dense with the city’s famous fog. Luke inhaled the sights and sounds like he was eating dinner at a Michelin five star restaurant.   

The closer he got to the famous magic school of Clocktower the more everything slowed to a halt. It was as if there was a magic nexus that caused small time anomalies. 

Such a thing was undetectable to a normal person. Of course Luke was ordinary, but he was also odd with his own idiosyncrasies that made him aware of the source of things.

Several college students walked the grounds of the school, each appeared formidable and prideful. The insignia of Clocktower was perfectly sewn into jackets and cloaks as if they had sold their souls to be there.   

It was calm and quiet, the studying magic users went about their day like cogs and gears in a clock. Meanwhile Luke would compare them to hungry wolves, they could try to hide it but each person was a starving dog gluttonous for Aura.

Then out of nowhere the ground began to rumble... A mini earthquake happened, once the dust cleared there was a large dragon! 

In the ensuing action Luke dropped his suitcase while other people scrambled out of the way. His fight or flight instinct was about to kick in, but then a maelstrom of bullets punctured the scales of the dragon.  

The fearsome lizard roared out in pain. So Luke didn’t get crushed underneath the weight of the dragon he ducked his head and did a barrel roll out of the way.

When Luke looked up there was another red haired student fighting neck and toe with the dragon. It was an entertaining battle to watch but Luke’s biggest concern is why weren’t any of the professors helping in the throes of panic?  

However, a strange magical energy started to swell up within Luke. Something was calling him to action and he was prepared to fight.

Four of the basic elements, fire, water, air, and earth, floated around in the palm of Luke’s hand. The ancient Aura was his to command. Thus he joined in on the fight that was to defend his fellow classmates.   

=====

Just as I had arrived on the scene things looked like they had gone to Hell. 

The courtyard had been torn up, the protective wards destroyed, and almost everything covered in brimstone or on fire. 

Don’t even get me started on the painful amount of paperwork I’d have to file once this entire mess was over! Although with Renee’s cooperation maybe that would help ease the work burden.   

For just a split second I was ready to intervene since Luke looked like he was going to be flattened like a pancake. Yet then the protagonist’s halo and plot armour decided to kick in. 

Several students and staff members watched in awe at the big reveal that he’s a Sorcerer. Amusing theatrics aside the whole thing made me want to roll my eyes, but being the respectable professor I was I didn’t. 

The only other person with common sense was Emmett Alberhyt. He was an up and coming Wizard prodigy with a rare [Firearm Projection] ability.

A continuous stream of lead was pumped into the dragon but the overgrown lizard, much to my dissatisfaction, did not falter.     

“Why won’t the dragon die?! Diona yelled. “I have to help Emmett!”

“Don’t you even dare! The creature is an A-Rank Threat while you're only a newly appointed B-Tier Mage.“ Renee interrupted. 

“Here's a quick valuable lesson." I explained. "The dragon is reanimated so of course it's impossible to kill something that’s already dead. Therefore the Aura possessing the corpse either has to be purified or dispelled. And since no clerics are present the choice is the latter.” 

To my slight annoyance nobody was intent on listening to my advice. Yet I could kinda see where they were coming from, I was just a random recluse teacher and Alchemy wasn’t even a core subject.

Also, due to the chaos most were simply concerned with not getting cremated or keeping their heads... 

Often there are times where I think maybe I will wake up from being stuck in a novel. Maybe me living in the world of [True Sorcerer Restoration] was a dream.

Instead the more time ticks on I'm forced to confront my new reality. The characters in front of me aren’t fictional but real breathing people that bleed.

Perhaps the worst of the brunt is while I am human, there are two extra features that I’d rather ignore. 

Maybe I should wear a hat but that would only serve to irritate the pair of snow leopard ears on my head. Meanwhile the lengthy tail was hard to tuck under my cloak and jacket but still somewhat doable.

Nonetheless, intrusive thoughts aside, I really wanted some coffee. The main protagonist could take the spotlight, whereas I was ready to draw the red curtains on the scene.         

Thankfully Renee had taken to restraining the dragon with her [Heavenly Chain] ability. In the heat of the moment I swear something must have been glowing underneath her eyepatch.  

Alchemy has many nuanced stupid rules but the one that matters the most is the law of equivalent exchange. Mostly inanimate objects and never a living creature are best transmuted within a workshop or lab setting.  

However, out in the field when it comes down to freezing or slowing down stuff [Absolute Zero] is a power I relied on as my crutch. 

All it took was a quick punch and the zombie dragon was frozen down to the bone in its tracks. Eventually the pressure that built up from the chains broke the ice.

“Renee, do you mind looking after the students while I make a quick trip to the Healer’s Department?” I asked while I caught my breath.

“No problem, just make sure your feline good for our spare afterwards.” She teased.

Goodbye simple teaching life. And an unfortunate hello to the ostentatious narrative where I might be the sole responsible adult... 

As far as I know me and Renee were the only professors that showed up that aided during the hazardous scene.    

 

3