Chapter 1
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Some people envy cats because cats have eight lives to spare; I envy cats because cats die only nine times. And I lost count, how many times I died.

*

Checkpoint TWO; XX1st time

In a small church, Elgar's Salut d'Amour is being played.

It’s not checkpoint three yet so I guess I have some time to breathe? I walk away from the wedding ceremony in my tedious outfit and grab a cigarette from the priest’s (whom I’ll name Orange) pocket. Even if I have all the time in the world, I still haven’t tried to figure out why Orange smoked. Huh, maybe I’ll do that the next time I arrive at this checkpoint.

Dear readers, please note that I have never smoked in my entire life. It wasn’t until after I died I started smoking. I mean, when you’re living a worse version of “Groundhog Day”, you gotta try some stuff. I’ll be bored to death if I don’t! (Though I would have preferred it if I can actually be bored to death.)

Right, back to the wedding ceremony. Yes, readers, I am getting married. Are you wondering why the person getting married can simply prance away from the ceremony? Well, I do too! I’ve lived through my life already and because Death is a playful fella, it sent me back to moments (what I call checkpoints) of my life before I died. There are in total four checkpoints and every time I am sent to one, I become something like a ghost. I can still see, hear, touch, and feel, as well as interact with objects, but all people and animals (yes, I did experiment with animals) treat me as if I’m not there.

For example, when Orange tells me to proclaim we will become husband and wife, even if I don’t speak, even if I walk away, or even slap the priest, he still thinks that I did the proclamation and everyone in the church will clap. It’s like there is the version of the still-living me in front of them, and I am the ghost that haunts nobody.

Eugh, I still don’t like the taste of cigarette. Some things you just never get used to.

*

Checkpoint THREE; XX2nd time

Here it comes. Okay, breathe in and breathe out. Do I know where to go? Yes. Ice cream road to gingerbread street to cheese cake walk, where the Cabbage Bank’s at.

My subordinates Apple and Banana are talking to me about my plan of raising the housing price in some low-income residential area but I have no time. I fly past them. They are still talking and sometimes pause for “my” response. Haha, never gets old.

I’ve arrived at the Cabbage Bank. My God, the number of people. I can’t even hear my own thoughts! Jesus Christ, let me get to the counter! Counter six, counter six… Argh, too many people, I don’t even know where to look at. I can’t afford to lose valuable time…

I should mention that my “ghost” ability is a double-edged sword. No one notices me so I can do whatever I want, but I bump into them frequently and they won’t even budge. I feel like I’m a lost child in this crowded bank.

There it is, finally! Yep. Just happens to be the furthest one from the entrance. Love my luck. I’m still some distance away from counter six, but I see him! The bald guy (whom I’ll call Watermelon)! Well, he’s wearing a wig now, but no doubt, he’s Watermelon! (Are all hitmen supposed to be bald?)

Oh no. he’s already leaving. He must have taken the money from the account already. Quick, what’s the time? I look at my watch and it shows 23:49, despite the fact that it’s clearly afternoon. Damn it. I know that my watch always shows 23:49 but force of habit. Luckily there are a lot of people around me that can be of my use. I grab a nearby phone from a random woman’s pocket and look at the time. 14:30:05.

Watermelon’s getting further away. I sprint toward him in an attempt to find some clues, but the moment I step out of the bank, my vision turns hazy.

 

New short story! Give this a good rating and maybe leave a comment if you like it! Please check out my other stories if you want something else to read~

0