Chapter 3
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Checkpoint THREE; XX6th time

Out of my way, Apple and Banana. Shut your filthy mouths. I never liked you two flatterers.

Not long after, I’m in the Cabbage Bank. I force a phone out of a nearby person’s pocket and look at the time. 14:28:35. No more than two minutes until Watermelon leaves. I rush to counter six and I see Watermelon talking to the lady at the counter (whom I’ll call Plum).

“Please check the account XXXXXX,” says Watermelon.

Wow, unexpected. Watermelon, a hitman, a guy who kills for living, sounds like a silly little girl. I bet his slut of a mother dropped him on his balls when he was younger. Fuck you. And everyone you love.

Plum, with a sweet voice, responds, “Yes, sir. Please wait a moment.”

What do I do… I traced his bank account but I can’t believe I didn’t formulate a plan to discover his buyer’s identity. No time to think. I’ll search Watermelon’s body.

In his wallet, there’s nothing but cash and a bank card, and I guess the bank card is of this account. There’s a name on the bank card but it’s probably fake.

Are there other clues? I find a strip of brown paper in his inner coat pocket. Some instructions are written on it: Where to get the money, account number, how much more will be deposited after Watermelon completes his job, etc. And finally at the bottom of the paper strip, the initial “C” was written.

“I found the account,” says Plum. “Can you please enter your pin number here?” Watermelon punches in a four-digit code. 2710.

I see. 2710 huh. 27th October, Carice’s birthday. So you’re the one, Carice. I can’t believe I died by the borrowed hands of my own daughter. I can’t help but laugh. Why would she ever want to kill me? It’s just too funny.

My laughter grows and my voice, hoarse from laughing, permeates the air, though people do not notice. Dear readers, is this not a humorous situation? Tell me I’m not the only one laughing. I ask Watermelon and Plum, “Why are you not laughing? Do you not think this is funny? A daughter killing her parent? Who provided all she needs? Hahaha!” Watermelon and Plum must not have a good sense of humour because they’re not laughing.

As I am laughing, a cat crawls out of the counter six window. Strangely, no one pays attention to the cat. Why will anyone bring a cat to a crowded bank during the day? I inspect the cat a bit closer.

In this bank where everyone is minding their own business, marching in their own pace, talking without speaking, the cat simply sweeps its tail and sits on the counter elegantly. It’s a pure white cat with beautiful, almost bewitching eyes. Each strand of fur is clean and well groomed, like it’s polished individually. I am stunned at this ethereal creature. Cute is not the right word. It’s… motherly. It’s like it’s smiling kindly.

…No. No way. No fucking way. The cat just stared straight into me. I am more shocked by this than discovering my own daughter tried to kill me. You… you… Don’t you look at me like that. I’m not pitiful. Fate tries to toy with me but I am fighting back. Stop looking at me like you’re fucking pitying me! I shout.

I can’t help but step back away from the counter. It’s like I’m caught doing something wrong. It’s just a cat! What do I have to fear?

I approach the cat and extend my hand to the cat. Cats are shy creatures who hate strangers touching them, but not this one. The white cat waits patiently until I reach its fur. Why the hell is it smiling at me? It puts its paws on my hand and caresses the back of my hand. What is this feeling? I didn’t do anything wrong… I don’t need to apologise for anything… The world wronged me. I am the victim. But somewhere deep within my heart, I feel something. What is it?

“Tell me, cat. Tell me, how do I get out of this hell.”

The cat removes its paws on me and turns around.

“Wait!”

The cat jumps down the counter and the moment I lose sight on it, my vision turns hazy. Wait! Before I get to another checkpoint, get me out of here!

0