Chapter 15: The Misty City – Part 2
1k 2 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello hello! Taking more words than expected so there'll be a part 3 to this mini arc. Enjoy!

 

Letting her nightwear drop Ling directs a meaningful gaze towards Qiu. The corner of her lip raises seductively, one finger gesturing for her to come hither. Qiu averts her eyes and scratches her cheek. She looks at Shun, the girl already impatiently waiting by the door. Her head swivels back to her liege.

“C- Can’t Shun dress you?”

“You must learn it too, my dear Qiu. We are going to be late if you don’t hurry.”

Muttering complaints to herself she picks up Ling’s plain white undershirt. Pulling it over her head and arms she ignores Ling’s teasing look when she brushes against her mistress’s sides. Looking away she pretends to study the blouse; A white silken piece of fabric, the high collared blouse is lined with a light blue trim at the edges. She carefully slips the long sleeves over her mistress’s arms and begins to tie one side to the inside of the other when a hand on her shoulder stops her.

“The left side goes over the right, Qiu, not the other way around.” Ling explains, “The way you are doing it is only applicable to funerals, dear. Unless you intend to kill me socially to make it a moot point, I request you switch sides.”

“How was I supposed to know that?” She huffs. 

“Have you never dressed yourself?”

“Have you?”

“Of course, Shun is not always capable of assisting at times I need to get dressed” Ling wiggles her eyebrows, tittering at the way it makes Qiu blush. Tying the blouse correctly this time she looks at her for approval. She frowns at the look she sees.

“What did I do wrong this time?”

“I understand you prefer to see me without them but I can hardly venture outside without underpants, Qiu.”

With a groan she begins to remove the blouse off once more. “No need to take it off, dear. Don’t be sad, I'll let you undress me once more soon enough.” The red-faced redhead looks away in embarrassment and moves back to the bed to pick up Ling’s undergarments and skirt. For today the ice princess has chosen to wear a set of long white underpants beneath her robe, the legs reaching down all the way to her ankles. Ling takes great pleasure in seductively raising her blouse and shirt as Qiu kneels to tie it at the side. The tips of her ears redden when she looks up and sees Ling hold the clothes in a way their eyes can meet through the shirt’s collar. Qiu does her best to ignore the way her mistress’s eyes gleam when she notices the way Qiu’s own are drawn to her chest.

Averting her eyes once more she inspects the billowy white skirt. Composed of the same white silk as the blouse it depicts a scene of snowflakes falling upon a frozen landscape, snow covered trees and ice crystals embroidered in a similarly white thread visible only when the light catches it. Ling raises her arms to the side to let Qiu wrap it around her, their noses nearly touching when she ties the strip of cloth holding the skirt up behind her back. Her concentration slips when she feels Ling’s breath across her face causing her to fasten the knot harder than she’d intended. 

“Ahn, so rough.” She hurriedly tries to loosen it, eyes opening wide when she sees Ling’s lips open alluringly.

“Hah, don’t stop, keep going.” Ling moans breathily.  Qing glows like a paper lantern by the time her fingers manage to tie the knot correctly. She quickly moves a step back, keeping as much distance as possible from the smug young lady while she loops each end of the strip of cloth several times around the front part of itself.

Hearing Shun impatiently tap her foot she quickly picks up the ornamental cloth belt embroidered with roses and ties it over the top of the skirt in a way that it hides all the knots. She eyes the small silver chime that laid next to it, wondering where it is supposed to go. Her brow furrows as she looks at it closely, feeling something is off. Realising it didn’t make any sound she looks into the center to find it hollow.

“I think this one is broken.” Ling takes it from her hand and absentmindedly attaches it to the pommel of her jian.

“It belonged to my mother.” The ice princess says with a melancholic look.

 “She is dead…”

“I’m so-”

“...to me.”

“Oh, I thought-”

“Her funeral was quite eventful.”

“What happened?” 

“I don’t know, I didn’t attend it.”

Unsure what to think Qiu looks at Ling questioningly. “So, uhm, is your mother actually…?” Looking her in the eye, the ice princess replies instantly. “Which one?”

The room falls silent until she softly chuckles.

“I jest, Qiu. I never knew my mother.” Walking over to the bed she puts on a translucent large-sleeved coat in the same shade as her robe and slings a thin scarf over her arms, its dark blue dye matching the fan in her hands. “My father arrived back to the sect three years after a void suppression that claimed the life of our previous sect master and was believed to have claimed his life as well carrying a baby. He never told anyone who he fathered me with, not even me. It was quite difficult to increase my status without a maternal clan to assist me.” She sighs melodramatically, “Truly a shame a single action invalidated all of my efforts.” 

Qiu’s shoulders sag. She demurely looks at the floor, too ashamed to meet her gaze. Taking a deep breath to gather her determination she looks up once more. Her mouth opens to apologize only for her to halt when she notices the teasing gleam in her liege’s eyes. 

“I don’t know what to believe anymore.” Only Shun catches the conniving look that flashes across her mistress’s face for the briefest moment before it fades away. “Come to think of it, I really don’t know much about you, huh.”

Ling inhales sharply and takes a step back, jokingly covering her chest.

“Wha- After how thoroughly you explored me yesterday you wish to know even more?”

With a groan Qiu drops to the floor and buries her head between her knees. 

“I hate you.”

Ling gracefully crouches in front of her, lifting the redhead's face with a kind smile. 

“That’s not the impression I got yesterday.”

 

-----

 

“Miss Shen, it’s been too long!”

Qiu freezes in place when two arms wrap around her. She doesn’t know where to look for several reasons, the way her eyes keep sliding off the girl tightly hugging her being but one of them.

“I can get you away from them. Do you want my help?” Qing whispers into Qiu’s ear silently enough Ling and Shun would not hear.  Awkwardly she returns the hug and pats the caramel colored beauty’s back feeling her tense slightly. She shakes her head with a small smile. Savoring the warm embrace she reminisces on the past, wondering what she’d done for Hu Qing to warrant this amount of trust and support. She warmly looks over at Ling, her smile slipping when she notices the way the ice princess’s motionless eyes are boring holes into the back of Qing’s head.

“Uhm, Lady Hu. Please let go.” She says, gently pushing on her shoulders until she backs away. Qiu can see the slightest hint of a cheeky smile on her friend’s face before her gaze slips off. Hu Qing turns on her heel, bowing low when she comes face to face with Ling.

“Please forgive me, Miss Li. Seeing my dear friend once more caused me to forget my manners. I mean no insult and offer a thousand apologies if my actions were interpreted as such. Please accept this token as reparation.”

She extends a wooden plate engraved with the character for ‘Hu’ towards her. Ling gathers her thoughts before replying, leaving Hu Qing in her awkward position for just a moment longer than would be proper in order to show her indignation. 

“Raise your head, Miss Hu. In the spirit of cooperation I shall accept your apology. Might you be willing to enlighten this one as to the purpose of this token?”

Taking the plate from her hand Ling heats the side of her eyes to unfreeze them, pretending to study the token so she does not have to look at the Hu clan young lady any longer. It is clear to her that part of the girl’s interest is due to being able to look at her directly without her gaze slipping away, to let her know she cannot maintain this for long without harming herself or even follow her movements would rob her of an edge. Unsure of Hu Qing’s motivations she is determined to hold onto every advantage she can get. Needlessly revealing her cards is out of the question.

“This token bearing the mark of our Hu clan grants certain permissions within the city. It will allow entrance to a selection of our more prestigious establishments as well as additional privileges within stores affiliated or backed directly by our clan. If it would please thee this one would be honored to show Miss Li the finest our Hu clan has to offer.”

“The honour would be mine, Miss Hu.”

Gesturing for her to lead the way the four set off. The knee-high haze of mist permeating the city adds a tinge of mystique to the atmosphere. Each step causes the mist to billow, a short trail following in their wake before it coalesces back into the fog. A small mark left upon the world for the briefest moment before it fades into the mists of time. Birdsong resounds throughout the waking city adding an uplifting tone to the humming and whistling of vendors and workers heading to their duties. Ling’s shoulders relax looking at the way her breath fogs under the morning chill and blends into the surroundings. As if the very haze surrounding them is the life of the city, each and every one of its denizens adding to it with every breath. Were she not in public Ling’s lips might’ve curled into a genuine smile. 

Arriving at their first stop Hu Qing nods at the vendor sitting within his humble stall. The pot bellied man clasps his hands and bows his head respectfully. Qiu’s eyes subtly rove across each of the robes, armaments and ornaments, fooling exactly no one with her feigned lack of interest. Suppressing a sigh Ling pretends to inspect one of the more intricate wares to give Qiu time to look around.

“Truly a keen eye, Young Lady! This pendant is wrought of the finest silver and inlaid with a gem crafted from the core of a Silver Crane. It is said to imbue the wielder with some of the beast’s grace and assist in learning wind based martial arts, a wonderful addition to any cultivator’s repertoire!”

Dismissing the vendor with a cold look Ling inspects several more items before departing, observing Qiu from the corner of her eye all the while. Noting the redhead seemed particularly interested in one of the dresses she subtly signals Shun to have it sent to their suite. The fact that a risque set of lingerie will be delivered alongside it being a pure coincidence, of course.

“Your elder sister mentioned alchemy yesterday, am I correct to assume your family specialises in both this craft and the creation of formations?” Ling asks while walking, attempting to casually probe for knowledge. With a nod Qiu turns around, walking backwards with her hands folded behind the small of her back while she replies.

“You are correct, Lady Li. Whilst my sister focuses solely on one particular aspect of alchemy it is far from the only one our clan excels in. I personally boast a moderate amount of skill in alchemy as well as a qualification as a First Tier Formation Master.” She smiles smugly brushing a lock of turquoise hair behind her ear.

“Quite the achievement at your age, Lady Hu. My congratulations.”

“Might I ask the reason for your interest?”

“You may. My retainer, Dai Shun, has proficiency in both of these crafts as well. While not to the same degree as yourself of course she has quite the talent. I am hoping to obtain some interesting materials during my stay here.”

Without a further word Qing changes their course, guiding them through several streets with a skip in her step until they arrive at a large plaza. Once there she leads them to a small store. Set near a corner away from the hustle and bustle of the city it appears closer to a pawn shop than an alchemist’s abode.  Its oaken doors open with a creak, the air completely different once they set foot within. Pure and filtered, the mix of scents normally associated with alchemists is missing entirely despite the many herbs on display.

“Please don’t be fooled by its humble appearance, Lady Li. This store houses one of the finest herbalists of our clan.”

“Many thanks for your praise, Lady Hu. Who might your esteemed company be?”

“Good day, Uncle Goji. These are Lady Li Ling of the White Rose Sect and her retainer Dai Shun. I’m certain you’re already familiar with Shen Qiu.”

“I am deeply honored to host such esteemed company, please browse at your leisure. Should any questions arise this lowly one shall endeavour to answer them to the best of his ability.”

Taking hold of the conversation once the man departs to the back of the store Qing holds up a bowl containing a leafy purple vine.

“This is a vine of the Amethyst Willow. While normally a powerful poison, when it is refined correctly it can instead serve as an antidote to counteract a wide variety of afflictions. Additionally when mixed into the ink of a formation it can counteract the spread of scents given off by medicinal plants in order to prevent contamination. This particular specimen was diligently cultivated to maturity by the Xie clan’s herbalists. It is quite a rarity at present due to issues along the trade route however I can personally attest to its quality”

“Lady Hu, might this one ask whether this is the herb used within this very store’s purification array?”

“An excellent observation, Retainer Dai. I see Lady Li’s praise is warranted.”

“Many thanks, Lady Hu. I must admit I am quite curious about the Misty Blossom I heard mention of the day before.”

“As a fellow alchemist I can certainly understand, the Misty Blossom is not for sale however.” Bringing a finger to her lips she tilts her head, thinking for a while before seemingly coming to a conclusion. “After all, while Elder Sister Bao recently found some additional uses it was already our treasure before that. First off it greatly assists the gathering of Qi for those within the first realm when consumed, improving the chances of our clan’s prosperity for ages to come. Secondly when used as a cultivation aid within the correct array it can smoothen the flow of qi, rumours are our Ancestor even achieved Inspiration whilst under its influence. Lastly and most importantly it can protect one from illusions, allowing our clan the unique advantage of carving out a territory within the Misty Woods.”

“Miss Hu, are you certain you should be telling us this?” Ling replies in a mirror to Bao’s reprimand the day before. Qing takes a step back, balancing on one leg while she ponders her reply.

“My sister, while not the most subtle, is rarely incorrect. The agreement is all but made, all that is left is to finagle about the details. Informing you of the full breadth of its properties is certainly a risk but one cannot reap rewards without taking risks.”

“Oh?”

“You want the Misty Blossom, do you not? I can assist you in attaining several. It shall not come cheap however, there is something in particular I am interested in.”

“What is it that you desire, Miss Hu?

Qing smiles mischievously, leaning forward and taking a step towards Ling while replying. Ling partially unfreezes her eyes, leaving enough ice her eyes scrape against their sockets when she aims her gaze down, the interference granting her enough time to manually follow Qing’s movements with her eyes. Her head thumps by the time she freezes them in place once more.

“A dangerous choice of words, Lady Li.” Qing’s slitted eyes fix Ling with a paralysing look, like a serpent about to lunge at its prey. “This is not about what I desire, however, it is about what I need. There is a certain treasure within the hidden realm your sect shall open during the gathering that once belonged to my Ancestor. I will have your assistance in getting it back.”

Ling stares back uncowed, if Qing thinks herself the snake she shall be the flutist playing the girl to her tune. She channels a mote of ice qi through her veins out of habit, cooling her head to think. Knowledge of the hidden realm is sparse, even she herself had not been informed it would be opened. For Hu Qing to speak with such certainty meant that her clan had been given inside info of the gathering to smooth over the transition. Additionally the turquoise haired girl herself was trusted enough by the clan’s leadership to be given access to this information before the deal has even concluded. More so her specific wording when referring to the treasure was ‘my ancestor’, not ‘our ancestor’. Ling firmly believes she can only mean the Ancestral Beast whose traits she carries, not their clan’s founder. That carries certain connotations with it. She channels another mote to keep her lips from curling into a smile. Despite her advantages the girl has already revealed her cards.

“I am willing to negotiate my assistance.” She replies, coldly looking down upon the naive woman. Qing bristles, her arms spread wide in exasperation.

“Negotiate? The Misty Blossom for assisting in the retrieval of what once belonged to our clan. Is the prized possession of our clan insufficient for the Venerable Young Lady?”

Ling theatrically takes a moment to look over the shop’s wares, slowly unfreezing her eyes once more to limit the damage. Inspecting them with her spiritual sense she realises she can only perform the same trick two or three more times before it would leave lasting damage. Without turning to face her she casually answers Qing’s tirade.

“Certainly, such a deal would not be unfair albeit somewhat in your favor. I believe such a deal would be a disservice to both of us however.”

Letting the silence set in for a moment she waits until she has Qing’s full attention before turning back towards her and extending her hand. She looks her straight in the eye, her focus entirely on the caramel skinned beauty.

“It is my sincere belief we can be allies. Equals. Let us set aside deals and trades and simply assist each other out of goodwill. You help me get the blossom, I help you get the treasure and we will not speak of either again. We can be of great use to each other, Miss Hu, no, Miss Qing. Take my hand and let us walk side by side on the road to immortality.”

Qing stares at her wide-eyed. Thoughts race through her head, unsure whether to believe what the daughter of the White Rose’s Sect Master is saying. Her distrust fades when she sees the happy smile on Qiu’s face. If even the Shen’s ex-heiress seems to have warmed up to her while under her thrall, certainly she stands to gain from it as well. With just the slightest tinge of hesitation remaining she shakes her hand, unaware of how much this decision will change her life.

 

Thanks for reading everyone! This chapter is quite uneventful isn't it? Is the author running out of ideas already or is this simply the calm before the storm? Find out next time!

32