Chapter 39: Unraveling the truth
452 0 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello hello! On the menu for today is both intrigue and schemes, a never before seen combo in LnD. Enjoy!

 

Looking at them from a distance they could have been sisters. Both have long black hair running straight down their backs and jade white skin worthy of envy. Even their style of clothing is similar, each wearing a long white robe with some minor differences. The taller one's robe is embroidered with snowflakes in silver thread and the logo of the Lai on her chest while the other one's embroidery is more subtle and only visible under the right light, a light blue trim and a dark blue shawl hanging over her arms completing her outfit and adding a slightly more colorful touch to it. 

It is only upon closer inspection that the differences become apparent. While she has the same cold look as the ice princess the slight crinkle around Lai Xueya's eyes and curl at the edge of her lips show far more emotion than Li Ling's expressionless visage. Qiu notes these differences as the two cultivators glare at each other while sharing empty platitudes. Her eyes can't help but wander as she compares them further. She is far more acquainted with Ling's slender body than she would ever have thought she'd be which makes the differences in their physique stand out so much more to her.

While Ling wears her sash just above the chest to hide her figure and give off a sense of elegance Xueya wears it around her waist putting her hourglass figure on full display. Her parallel collared half-sleeve jacket hangs loose over her torso, every move giving the illusion of revealing what lies beneath. Even their stance is different, whereas Ling stands straight with her chin high and hands barely visible between her billowy sleeves Xueya’s every movement comes with a lilt in her hip and her every sentence is accompanied by a gesture, her white jade fan unfurling from time to time to fan herself or hide a smile behind it. 

Nonetheless Qiu can see the faintest hint of bags below her eyes hidden beneath expertly applied make-up. The redhead is certainly no expert in the matter but she can tell the method that for this too is completely different. The magic Shun works on Ling’s features every morning is subtle and accentuates her features whereas Xueya’s is more encompassing and works to emphasize both her presence and her sensuality further. She catches herself and stops her inspection when she remembers she is supposed to focus on the conversation, realizing she’s been relying on Shun’s subtle reminders to the point she forgets herself when she is without her. With the brunette off to prepare their alchemical reagents and furnace at Ling’s command she needs to redouble her efforts to stay on task. Well, officially Ling commanded her to prepare their resources. In truth Qiu feels it has more to do with giving the maidservant a familiar task to calm her nerves before the evening match than any need to actually check their supplies over. She puts the thought aside when she sees Xueya’s smile turn strained and processes what she heard Ling say right before it did.

“I heard Yin was quite fond of poetry, truly a shame he could not come to the competition.”

“Only the most trusted of allies are welcome to see Young Master Cai at the moment but rest assured your concern shall be relayed.” Xueya pointedly replies with a bit of bite in her tone.

“Only the most trusted? Oh my, surely you can’t mean someone within our sect would seek him harm?” Ling feigns a gasp. “Surely no one would sink so low as to make an attempt on the life of one of our own?”

The way Lai subtly twitches at her comment tells Ling all she needs to know. She is in on it. Channeling a mote of ice qi to calm her mind she pushes her anger down and decides to make the most of this conversation. If Xueya was told of the assassination attempt she may know more of his encounter with the Song as well. She will not however forget. Certainly, she intends to prioritize gathering this knowledge for the sake of their continued survival first but that does not mean she intends to let matters slide. Everyone connected to the attack that endangered Shun, threatened her life and nearly took Qiu’s shall pay. That she swears.

“Don’t tell me you are implying one of ours was responsible for his injuries during the fight with the Song?” Ling asks quietly while leaning in, casually informing Xueya she knows who harmed him and letting her jump to conclusions. Her gambit is more efficient than she imagined, had Lai Xueya not known the truth of the matter Ling would have given valuable information away for free yet it appears that is most certainly not the case. Xueya stiffens at her words and a shiver runs through her. When she replies it is with quiet indignance, her voice cracking while she forces out the words.

“Surely you cannot have expected me to stand in that monster's way?”

Ling suppresses a smirk. That is far better than she expected. The Lai was present during the attack and not only that, she didn’t even try to intervene. Even better she looks shaken simply recalling it. Unbalanced as she is there’ll be no difficulty probing her for more. Ling taps her chin with the top of her dark blue fan while humming in contemplation, despite it not looking like an act at all Qiu has to stop herself from rolling her eyes at her mistress’s theatrics. For all the girl claims to despise them Qiu notes she sure performs them often.

“Of course not, I’m merely wondering why you didn’t attempt to prevent the fight from occurring? After the Venerable Grand Elder’s rise we had high hopes for the Lai. It could not be that Venerable Lai’s adopted granddaughter lacks the judgement to refrain from antagonizing a Song, could it? Did Cai Yin perhaps refuse to follow your advice?” Ling asks with feigned indifference, hemming her in. Either Xueya admits her own incompetence, piles the blame on Cai or makes an excuse. Either way Ling will gain something from her reply.

"Lady Li is wise. This one has much to learn. Please enlighten this one as to how one could prevent a companion from receiving grievous injuries in a battle one cannot win." Xueya snaps back. Her gaze slides to Qiu and she hides a satisfied smile behind her fan. Were Ling able to see how the redhead reacted to Lai’s words she would know that Qiu did not even flinch nor bother to meet her eyes. With her back to the girl however all she has to go off is Xueya’s reaction and it makes her blood run cold. The woman’s next words enrage her even further.

“Perhaps I should enslave someone to take the blow instead, does Lady Li have any recommendations?”

Ling’s hair billows behind her as she expels the excess ice qi flooding through her veins out into the air. Her intense hatred is replaced by confusion as rapidly as it overcame her when she hears Qiu snort. Xueya smiles wider behind her fan. For an indentured servant to laugh at their master’s mockery is a grave insult indeed. Qiu realizes the same after a moment and bites her lip to suppress further laughter. While Qiu’s slip-up hurts Ling immensely it also serves to shake her out of her stupor long enough to gather her thoughts and regain the initiative.

“It can be difficult to find competence, with that I must agree.” Ling nods in acknowledgement. “Tides turn however and even if one has promise without sufficient backing they will achieve little. Depending on certain factors someone may soon fit the bill.” She adds with a look that makes Xueya’s smile drop. With a wave of her fan Xueya looks up her nose at the ice princess while she replies, nevertheless unable to keep a slight tremble out of her voice.

“It was just a Tai and some vagrants she picked up. Who would have believed there truly was a Song.” Her voice grows quieter the further into the sentence she gets. She bites her lip in frustration, her true feelings shining through for but a second before she manages to compose herself. To Qiu’s surprise Ling does not pounce on the opportunity and even appears to be caught off guard, stiffening at her words albeit so little that someone without Qiu’s especially sharp senses would not be able to tell. Even so Ling’s complete reversal catches her off guard.

“Perhaps you may find one or two interesting combatants within the rogue cultivator tournament as well to fill the holes in your group. I must admit I am curious whether any shall come close to meeting the standards of our sect. We shall leave you to your poetry, Miss Lai. It is a shame I cannot join you however I have matters to attend to as a Li. Farewell.”

She barely spares her a nod before leaving abruptly with Qiu following in her wake. The redhead opens and closes her mouth several times but stops halfway into her first word as she tries to think of what she can say. Once they are out of sight Ling slows down until they are walking next to each other prompting Qiu to raise her eyebrow questioningly.

"You laughed at me in public."

"I'm sorry, mistress." Qiu replies with a flinch and hurriedly bows her head.

"None of the Grand Elders are here. I'd detect it if anyone weaker tried to spy on us. You can speak freely." Ling takes a deep breath before posing her question keeping all but the slightest hints of anger and hurt out of her voice. "Why did you laugh? Is it truly that funny that I'm so despicable as to enslave you?"

"What? No!" Qiu sputters and waves her hands in front of her. "That's not it at all, it's just…"

"It's just?"

"Ah, well…" Qiu awkwardly scratches her cheek and looks away. "My mother used to have a cat. The way your hair billowed just.. you know?

"Know what, Qiu?" Ling asks with a mix of confusion and exasperation.

"It, uh, it kinda looked like when a cat sees another cat and they puff their hair up to make themselves look scary. I might've imagined you hissing at her too."

Ling misses a step and nearly trips. She stares at the blushing redhead with her mouth wide open and her eyes blinking rapidly.

"Qiu, what?"

“Why’d you suddenly switch tracks and run off anyway?” Qiu pointedly changes the subject by putting her foot in her mouth.

“Well, aside from an indentured servant I was supposed to train embarrassing me in front of someone that most likely attempted to have me killed,” She replies pointedly making the girl flinch. “The involvement of a Tai greatly complicates things. I require more time to ruminate on my thoughts before speaking to Lai Xueya once more, there is no point fully burning that bridge until we have squeezed it for everything it’s worth.”

“Are the Tai really that bad?” Qiu asks, ramming her foot ever further.

“Tsk, one night with Qing and you’re forgetting everything I said and imagining other people with animal traits too, huh?”

“Nothing happened!” 

“I understand. With how faulty your education was we must have a different understanding of the word ‘nothing’. After all, I was unaware ‘nothing’ could leave hickeys behind. Ah, but perhaps she will be ‘nothing’ when I’m done with her. Excellent foresight, Qiu.” Ling spits with a scoff.

Without giving her time to reply she speeds up so she is walking diagonally in front of the redhead. Seeing the ice princess straighten and turn her face into an emotionless mask once more, Qiu has no choice but to bite down her rebuttal and stew in silence. The preliminaries to the rogue cultivator tournament are already well on their way by the time they arrive. Most of the crowd and even some of the competitors stop what they are doing to gape while the two make their way to their private viewing boot. While Ling is long used to it, Qiu seems uncomfortable at the watching crowds. Ling’s aura turns colder with her anger causing many to avert their eyes once more and pretend they weren’t gawking at them. Despite their arguments Qiu can’t help but feel warm inside at the gesture.

 

The plot thickens!

21