Chapter 52: Dawn of the Third Day
288 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello hello! Accidentally set the upload time to pm instead of am, luckily I couldn't sleep and noticed the problem when the chapter didn't appear properly on my dashboard. Without further ado, here's the chapter!

 

"How can a cultivator be so clumsy?" Qiu asks Ling while the two stare at the disaster scene in front of them. Having luxuriated in bed for just a little too long Bao scrambles to pack her alchemical supplies in time for the morning's contest. Even assisted by Shun as she is, it'll be a close call. Qiu gets the distinct impression that if Bao stepped aside and let Shun handle it they'd have finished half an hour ago, the lanky girl dropping more than she picks up. 

By the time everything is sealed securely Bao looks almost as disheveled as she did after the night's events. Shun catches her just before she rushes out the door and plops her down on a chair to fix her appearance, her expression making it clear what would happen if the concocter refuses her kindness. 

"It has been quite some time since I have seen that look." Ling comments under her breath with a far off look in her eyes. Qiu shudders, glad she's never done anything to prompt the maid's fearsome attitude this way. She quickly scampers to get changed as well when the stink eye is aimed her way. A moment later she changes her course and fetches Ling's robes instead when the ice princess pointedly clears her throat. Grateful as she is to her mistress for helping her interpret Shun's look, her cheeks flush at the snickering that follows and she pointedly refuses to meet Ling's eye.

"Let us get our plans in order shall we?" Ling states and walks closer to the other two, very coincidentally putting herself within Bao's view while Qiu helps her change.

"Bao, how are your preparations for the remainder of the contest proceeding? Will you have time to continue assisting Shun today?"

"I brought all my ingredients from home?" Bao replies, unsure whether she understood the question.

"How much time will you require between rounds to prepare your concoctions?"

"That, uhm, all happens during the contest?" She says as if asking for a confirmation. Ling nods slowly, slightly flabbergasted until it finally clicks.

"Are you implying you do not need to refine your ingredients beforehand?"

"No, I do that during it."

"I… see…" Ling replies while blinking slowly. "I was under the impression your competitors take the time to finish them the day before to ensure their refinements are of both the highest grade they can manage and of sufficient freshness. Are you certain assisting us will not impact your performance?"

Bao smiles warmly, a fuzzy feeling blossoming deep in her chest at Ling's concern. "I'll be fine, besides…" She slowly trails off. "...the others really aren't that good."

Ling raises an eyebrow and looks at Shun for confirmation. The maid looks at her wide eyed and shakes her head. From what Shun has seen the current competitors have sufficient skill and potential for at least half of them to qualify for entry into the sect's alchemical division and at least a tenth of those would even be capable of reaching higher positions in time. For them to be called unskilled is arrogant to the extreme and yet Bao does not appear to be boasting. Ling does not hesitate to capitalize on the opportunity.

"Very well then. You may move all of your equipment in here, Shun shall assist you. Shun, take down the wall between our rooms to ensure there'll be sufficient space."

"Huh, is that allowed?"

"You believe anyone would dare challenge this young mistress?" Ling replies in an imperious tone while squinting down at the now shivering alchemist.

"Th… this one would not dare assume, Lady Li."

"I jest, Bao, there's no need to be formal. Rest assured there won't be any difficulties. Shun, I'll leave the arrangements to you."

"As you wish, milady."

"Now then," Ling says and takes a deep breath, her face scrunching up as she does. "Qiu. I will need you to talk to Qing again. You remember what we discussed?"

"Yeah. What'll you be doing?"

Ling sighs and turns to face Qiu with a pointed look. A raised brow is all she receives as a reply until Shun clears her throat.

"It is improper for a servant to inquire as to their master's plans."

"Ah shite, sorry."

"Language, Qiu."

She shuts up before she can mess up again.

 

-----

 

"Shun?" Ling asks, the maidservant catching on to her meaning despite it not being vocalized.

"Ke Ching, junior archivist and treasurer of the Ke clan. Ke Ming Gui's cousin. She has good standing within the clan but no claim towards its leadership. Trade is an area she has authority over however, this one finds it likely she is here to set up minor exchanges or sales to smooth over the clan wide trade agreement in the future."

"So I should accept if she makes an offer?" Bao asks while looking towards Ling.

"In my opinion she is unlikely to attempt to cheat you. Stay on your guard however as we do not know the full extent of the Ke clan's internal politics. Given the difference in respective social standings Shun will not be able to advise you during a conversation with her without causing a grave loss of face. Should you be uncertain about anything, attempt to invite her into a meeting with us to finalize your dealings."

Bao and Shun both nod, albeit for different reasons. While Bao takes her words at face value Shun can see the deeper subtleties. Should their new accomplice choose as expected she'll be drawn even deeper into their fold. Nodding her way to permit the woman to approach, Ke Ching pushes up her glasses and steps their way with clipboard in hand. 

“This one offers greetings to Lady Li and Lady Hu. This one has been brought an inventory of the ingredients presently in our possession for Lady Hu’s perusal, should it please thee.”

“Thank you, Miss Ke. I’ll take a look at what I can use and afford after this round. I didn’t bring much of an allowance with me.” Bao adds honestly while scratching the back of her neck.

“This one would not dare charge a valuable ally for this. Our Ke clan is prepared to offer whatever Lady Hu might need as a gift to celebrate our partnership.” Ke Ching courteously offers with a bow of her head while submitting the list to Bao.

“Oh, well I suppose it would be rude of me to refuse then?” Bao replies while casting a questioning gaze towards Ling and receiving a nod in return, a gesture Ching’s inquisitive eyes do not miss. “In that case I’ll happily oblige. Shun, could you check which of these are useful for our project?” She adds while handing the clipboard to the maidservant and through that, fully cementing her place as part of Ling’s entourage in the eyes of anyone watching.

More courtesies are exchanged but before long all head their separate ways. Bao going to her assigned station to participate in the contest, Shun dutifully awaiting her return and Ching moving to assist her fellow clan members in their preparations. Ling and Qiu exchange a quick nod before they each set off in different directions, no more words needing to be exchanged. They both know what they have to do.

Qiu’s heart thumps loudly while she walks. Rationally she knows this is just a conversation with an old friend but now that she’s learned how much is at stake, it suddenly feels far more real. Ling is entrusting her with their future and she has no intention to fail, even as her mind yet whirls thinking of what Qing said and did to her just two days before. One would think it is almost a relief when the matter is taken out of her hands and delayed yet the manner by which it occurs only elicits one feeling in the redhead. Trepidation.

“Shen Qiu.” A voice calls out from behind her, making her hair stand on end. She’s only heard the voice once before but Ling had told her to pay close attention and remember him. Cai Yuu. Cousin to Cai Yin and current representative of the Cai clan, someone she can’t afford to offend no matter what.

The young master walks up to her with elegant composure, the very picture of a noble young warrior. His utter confidence is domineering and Qiu can’t help but gulp as his imperious gaze meets her eyes.

“Walk with me.”

To disobey would offer grave insult and reflect badly on Ling. She can only hope his intent isn’t too malicious and that she can bear whatever he is about to do. She follows three steps behind him as courtesy demands and makes sure to observe him carefully as he does. His figure while slender clearly holds power, not a single gap visible in his guard even on a simple walk such as this.

“Allow me to be frank, Shen.”

“This lowly one would not dare question Venerable Cai.” Qiu replies demurely even as her jaw clenches. Yuu nods approvingly.

“You are being targeted. I am sharing this information with you since the three great clans are cooperating during this meet as I'm sure you’ve been informed. You are not equipped to handle it. If I may offer advice, it would be in your best interest to give them an opportunity to get at you in public so as to control the variables better. That is all I can say. Now begone, Shen.” He adds with a flick of his sleeve leaving behind a thoroughly confused Qiu.

She stands there in a daze as she watches the young master continue on without even the slightest change in his composure hinting at the revelation he unceremoniously dumped on her. One thing is clear, she has bigger problems now to resolve before she can meet Qing.

 

Next week there'll be three chapters. A double chapter to finish the Legacy Trial arc from An's point of view and a third chapter to finish it from Suwan's point of view. After the conclusion of that arc we'll get to an arc I've been both looking forward to and struggling to outline properly. The tales of Song Suwan and Li Ling are slowly being drawn closer and closer into each other's orbit, bound to collide eventually.

11