Chapter 56: Probing and Proving
314 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello hello and welcome back for another chapter! While Arc two has ended for Suwan, Ling's side yet has a good amount of chapters to go before it'll be there. There's much set-up to be done within this week long tournament to make the next two arcs work, both for Ling and Suwan. Exciting times ahead. While we've certainly had some payoffs already the big ones are getting closer and closer!

 

“I see you are all alone today. Preparing for the future, Lady Li?”

“I am pleased to see you are yet in a good mood, Miss Lai.”

The pair greets each other, cordially if viewed from a distance yet were anyone close enough to hear them they’d have spat out their drink.

“Naturally, Lady Li. It brings me joy to see you bring the third best Hu in their three person delegation to your side. People might believe it reeks of desperation to so quickly recruit one that lacks courtesy and strength but rest assured those who are of import can see the truth of the matter.”

“Talent can make up for many flaws, Miss Lai. I do not blame you for missing that as it is clear recent events have tired you. It is truly a shame your cousin faced such a bad match-up. Nonetheless it is truly unfortunate he was unable to display his technique, I suppose Young Master Cai must have gotten overexcited facing such a worthy foe.”

The genial smile Xueya replies with doesn’t even begin to reach her eyes. Clearly Ling’s remark stung. Perhaps if she wasn’t as tired she could hide it better but to anyone who knows the signs it is clear Lai Xueya has seen better days. Ling can easily recognize them, she can see them as clearly as the sun in the sky, the poets waxing on and on in the contest and the slight tremble running through her conversational partner at the gleam in her eye. 

It isn’t hard to imagine the difficulties Xueya is going through. Whether purposeful or not her actions have caused the Lai clan to lose face, were she not their Grand Elder’s adopted granddaughter her future may well have been forfeit. Nor is it a stretch to assume those more closely related to the Grand Elder by blood are using every bit of their power to push her further down, whether it be out of envy or pure opportunism. Ling might have felt sorry for her had the circumstances been different but she has not forgotten the woman’s crimes nor does she intend to forgive them.

For she and Cai Yin committed the worst offense in her eyes. They attempted to both kill her, harm Qiu and likely mercilessly cut down Shun as well should they have gotten that far. Yin is out of her reach for now but Xueya is right in front of her and while she may be restricted in her actions during this meet the Hidden Realm holds no such constraints. All that can save the once rising star now is how useful she can be to Ling and the ice princess intends to make sure she knows it.

“A shame. Lai Chang might have been a useful asset in the upcoming trials. If this young mistress might offer some advice I believe there are several participants in the rogue cultivator tournament that match his competence should you be unable to acquire a loyal replacement.”

From the way her jaw sets it is clear Xueya bristles at the insult. Ling turns to the contest, pretending to listen to one of the pompous poets drone on in order to give the woman some time to think and for the implications to sink in. While she doesn’t see Xueya as anywhere near her level she’s confident she can put one and one together. 

“To raise such rabble to one’s inner circle and outfit them with sufficient equipment they’d be able to keep up, hmm. Not all of us are as wasteful with mere servants, Lady Li.”

Ling hides her mouth behind her fan at that retort, giving the impression she’s smiling back at Xueya. Despite the circumstances the woman still has some fight in her. Ling is certain she can use that. Emphatically nodding in reply she looks at the poets while nonchalantly firing back.

“This young mistress believes thou might be correct. On an unrelated note, has the younger Cai offered you a place on his team?”

“Oh, is it not below one of your lineage to spy on the competition?”

“Nonsense, Miss Lai, we are of the same sect. For the glory of White Rose it is to our shared advantage to reclaim as much as possible from the hidden realm. It truly would be a shame if you could not enter alongside us.”

Ling chides herself when she sees Xueya freeze in place for a moment. Clearly she was unable to keep the venom out of her voice. A rookie mistake and not one she should have made. Cycling a mote of ice qi through her veins she hopes this ‘Misty Blossom’ brought by Bao truly will balance her cultivation. She can not afford further slip-ups at this stage.

“My thanks for your concern, Lady Li. You need not worry, I am certain enough places will be left that even some of the less competent would be able to claim a spot. This one shall hope we both make it there.”

“I am certain we shall. You are betrothed to one from the Great Clans after all. I admit it would make me curious otherwise, would the Cai truly punish one loyal to them so?”

Xueya turns towards her with a glare. The last shreds of her calm demeanor vanishing as she spits her words with more venom than a serpent.

“What are you implying, Li?”

“That you must think very carefully on your future and determine where your loyalties should lie if you wish to live to see the year’s end, Lai.”

Without giving the woman time to answer Ling turns and walks away, her point made and her words said. All that is left now is to wait. A smile sneaks its way onto her face. Another mote of ice qi pushes it down before it can split further into a nefarious grin.

 

-----

 

“...and that’s why I came back to your room instead.” Qiu finishes explaining as Ling thoughtfully taps her chin. She’d been quite surprised to return to their accomodations in order to freshen up only to find the redhead she’d sent out to handle negotiations pacing back and forth, only noticing her when she pointedly cleared her throat.

The ice princess lets out a long sigh and lets herself drop backwards onto the bed. 

“What is he playing at?” She groans while doing her best starfish impression, her legs hanging listlessly over the side of the bed.

She pats the spot beside her until Qiu acquiesces and sits down. Blowing a stray lock of hair out of her face and wrapping an arm around the redhead’s waist she mulls over what she’s just learned.

“Do you think he’s telling the truth?” Qiu asks while looking at Ling. A tinge of frustration shoots through the ice princess at the lack of visible concern on her features. Instead a deep look of trust adorns her face, as if Ling can just figure it all out in an instant and get them through it all unscathed. Guilt pierces through her like a knife. All she’s accomplished is enslaving her, hurting her and nearly getting her killed. Ling's eyes fill with hate as she considers why the girl still sees her as some kind of savior despite it.

Closing her eyes she takes a deep breath and channels ice qi through her veins to push down her emotions. Qiu frowns feeling the hand on her thigh cool. It is a double feeling. On one hand she’s glad her mistress has dropped her guard around her to the point she’d slip up like that when they’re alone but on the other it makes her guts churn that she’s been driven to the point she feels it’s a necessity to channel ice qi through her veins even in private. Ever since she’s met the cold-looking girl she truly has been doing nothing but causing her trouble.

“I believe he is, Qiu. That is what is confusing me. Why would a Cai try to help us?” Sitting back upright Ling’s emotionless mask slides onto her face and a calculating gleam shows in her eyes. “There is something very important we are missing. I believe I have an idea as to what but I believe it would be best to confer with Shun first. She should know more.”

“Huh, really?”

“She is a Dai.” Ling replies proudly. “Never underestimate their ability to gather information. They have perfected the craft over the course of many generations."

 

-----

 

Tension hangs in the air all throughout dinner and before long they cannot delay matters any further. With a slight nod Ling gestures for Qiu to take the stage. She cycles a mote of ice qi through her veins to keep her composure. Earlier after Shun had returned they’d made full use of her knowledge before deciding on what to do. Nevertheless it still doesn’t sit well with Ling. As she watches Qiu stand up she runs over their options one more time, hoping to find a better one. Seeing the redhead depart she can’t help but wonder if they aren’t walking right into the Cai’s trap.

Another mote of ice qi follows the first as she finishes her contemplation. There is no other way. To remain willfully ignorant of a potential threat is nothing but suicide. It grates on her to use Qiu as bait just as Cai Yuu advised but she knows she needs to remain calm and make the absolute most of this situation. To do anything else would be disrespectful to the girl putting her life on the line.

Gradually Shen Qiu’s steps appear to resound louder until it is all Ling can hear. Rationally she knows this is because the closer she gets to the stage the more people fall silent and turn to her. Still she can’t help but feel as if it were her own heart beating in her ears. She has to take great care to manually control her breathing lest she hold her breath in anticipation and worry. To show such interest in a mere indentured servant’s performance would be unbecoming and put undue scrutiny on them. With great difficulty she purposefully turns her head away and takes a sip of her tea.

Arriving at the short stairs leading to the stage Qiu feels surprised as she takes note of how calm she feels. While she’s not entirely unused to mock battles this is the first time she truly feels has stakes and she’d expected to be far more nervous about it. Yet it seems to come naturally to her, almost feeling like she belongs atop the stone slabs beneath her feet.

“Shen Qiu, twenty two years old. Sixth Stage Foundation Establishment. Please advise.”

The voice rings out through the hall and it takes a moment for Qiu to realize it was her own. Wide eyes stare at her and she meets each person’s gaze for the briefest moment before moving on to the next. If people were wary of accepting Shun’s challenge they are downright on guard now. More than a few people look Ling’s way, wondering how she managed to get not one but two such geniuses under her sway.

Even so it doesn’t take nearly as long for an opponent to make themselves known and Ling’s heart drops when she sees who it is. Rising from her seat near the edge of the hall at the tables where the less influential vassals sit is a woman Ling would prefer to have as little to do with as possible.

“Tai Hen, twenty eight years old. Seventh Stage Foundation Establishment. Please advise.”

 

It's so cliche but I do like ending chapters on the dramatic power reveal, wonder how many more times I can get away with it. Always a fan of writing Ling and Xueya's bantering as well, shame good things can't last...

10