Chapter 80: The Final Stretch
175 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello hello, we've officially reached chapter 80! While side chapters push the real number higher it still feels like quite the milestone. Any day now we'll get to chapter one hundred. Even after that I hope to continue for a hundred more!

 

Like a child caught with her hand in the cookie jar Bao looks at the group with a guilty impression that is as frustrating as it is endearing. Much as Ling had expected none of them were challenged during the evening matches and they were able to return to their room without any unexpected events. Unlike the previous evenings however this time Hu Qing accompanied them too, something that still didn’t sit entirely right with the ice princess but that she was willing to accept for now. After all, she would be the last member joining their inner circle.

Even though Liyue Yiming made it into the top twenty there would be no need to include him to get him on the same side. Branch family members were expected to fall in line and listen with little expectation of them being able to influence decision making. Still, she supposes, she should allow him to invite her for tea tomorrow. Even if only to appease his pride. But she digresses.

“You clearly want to say something. What is it, Bao?”

“I.. uh.. don’t have enough.”

“Enough what, Bao? Ingredients? Time?”

“Well, yes. Both, actually.”

Bao concludes while rubbing the back of her neck with an awkward grimace on her face. Disdainfully glaring in Ling’s direction Hu Qing huffs. It doesn’t escape notice that her glare seems to lack its former bite and her huff comes out quieter than Bao is used to.

“You don’t need to do anything for them, sister.” She says in a tone so bland it’s unclear whether she believes her own words.

“I know. I’m still going to.” Bao replies with a soft smile.

With a petulant snort Qing crosses her arms and leans against the backrest of her chair. She doesn’t say anything else however, merely brooding in silence without meeting anyone’s eyes. Knowing this is as close as she can get to approval from her sister Bao turns back to the rest of the group.

“I have the ingredients for about five or six more of the pills you requested. At best that’ll last two to three weeks. I don’t know what you’ll all run into there however so it might be less. Time’s the big issue though.” Bao adds while looking slightly downcast. “I’ll do everything I can but there’s only two days left. I can make four, maybe five in that time however…”

Her eyes dart to Qing before she continues speaking.

“I have a responsibility to my clan. I need to make sure my sister has everything she needs first.”

Tapping her fingers atop her knee and humming in thought Ling takes a moment before she replies. She needs those pills but she needs the cooperation of Hu Qing even more. 

“Our White Rose Sect and my Li clan in particular will permit both me and to some extent Shun to requisition a large amount of supplies for the Hidden Realm. Unless miss Qing requires something particularly rare or unique to the Hu clan this young mistress will be able to fully cover those needs.”

Now that statement caused multiple eyebrows to be raised despite Shun and Qiu as well as to some extent Bao understanding the ice princess’s reason. Even so none of them - not even Shun - expected her to swallow her pride to this extent. Hu Qing outright narrows her eyes, pieces of the puzzle slowly fitting together as her mind churns.

“Just what exactly is wrong with you, Li?” She whispers, causing Qiu to flinch and anxiously look back and forth between the two.

“That is none of your concern.” Ling replies coldly, the implication clear that her words are final. Even so Qing refuses to let up.

“Disagree. I’m gonna be stuck with all of you for a month. I need to know. Is this gonna get in our way?”

The moment of hesitation before Ling answers says all Qing needs to know. 

“Ah well.” The caramel-skinned girl shrugs to everyone’s surprise. “Worries for later.”

Seeing the room fall silent once more Bao clears her throat and continues where she left off.

“In that case I will do as much as I can these last two days. Qing, could I leave making the list of necessities to you?” She asks and receives a hum and a nod in reply.

“Allow this one to assist you, Lady Hu.” Shun speaks up while placing a hand atop her chest.

“No, no, that’s not necessary.” Hu Bao replies with a grateful smile while waving her arm in front of her. The smile slowly slips as her expression changes to a more thoughtful one before she gives a nod after all. “Perhaps during the day I could use some assistance. Provided it would not get in the way of your own preparations of course.”

“The day, Bao?” Ling queries with a raised eyebrow. “Am I correct in assuming you will not be sleeping the next two days?”

The lanky woman’s cheeks flush at the statement and she twirls a braided dread while surreptitiously looking away. She takes a deep breath ignoring her sister’s pointed look and raised eyebrow. With a warm smile on her face she finally replies.

“Yes but rest assured I’ve gone for far longer in one go than two days straight. Why, once I get caught up in it it’s not uncommon for someone to have to drag me away after a week to eat or get some rest. There was this one time where we just managed to get our hands on a shipment of rare-”

“Sister…”

“Ah, yes. Mhm. What I mean to say is I’ll catch up on sleep while awaiting everyone’s safe return.”

“It’s a hidden realm, there’ll be plenty of treasures in there that can tide us over through whatever’s wrong with the Li ‘princess’. Hardly any need to put in this much effort, sis.” Qing says, waving her worries away. It’s clear to her that the others can’t tell but she knows her sister’s body language enough to realize that Bao’s incredibly anxious. Her words pay off as Bao’s shoulders visibly untense before she turns to her cauldron with a grateful nod. Before long she’s entirely absorbed in her endeavors and Qing turns her attention to Ling instead. 

“So then, Frosty.” 

“Excuse me?”

“Our relationship ain’t exactly one of goodwill.” Qing continues while pointedly ignoring Ling’s protest, her words eliciting a very slight flinch from the ice princess. “What do you want in exchange for the supplies?”

Ling channels a mote of ice qi through her veins to calm herself while glaring at the demi-spirit. The slight crinkle around her serpentine eyes makes it clear the Hu saw how her blow landed. To have the very words she used when trying to ally with her back in the Misty City thrown back at her like this, Ling must admit it stings. Despite that she refrains from narrowing her eyes in displeasure and swallows the cutting remark sitting on the tip of her tongue. She has no need for such superficial rebukes anymore.

“This young mistress recalls you stating you’re a First Tier Formation Master?”

“What about it?”

“Then perhaps you could assist with Qiu’s studies into said arts?”

Ling has to stop her lips from curling into a smile at Qing’s shocked expression and wide eyes. The fact that it is almost entirely mirrored on Qiu’s features however quickly removes said urge and replaces it with a different emotion. Whereas Qiu’s is close to Qing’s, Shun has to push down a smile in a similar manner to Ling. Albeit in her case it would be a wry smile. Stepping towards the cupboard to retrieve paper and ink she allows herself an eye roll once no one can see it. She casts a glance back at Qiu just in time to see her confused expression change to a questioning one aimed Ling’s way.

“Aren’t you and Shun already teaching me?”

“Indeed. Neither of us have deepened ourselves into the study of formations as much as Qing has however.” Ling states, making sure to keep her voice even as she does. “She will likely be able to explain it to you faster. Attempt to learn how to create a warding formation out of basic shield talismans within the next two days.”

“A warding formation?” Qing interrupts equal parts offended and appalled. 

“A warding formation.” Ling confirms without turning her way. “Ideally with an alarm. Provided Qiu can passably learn to create those two things in as many days of course.”

“I’ll do it!” The redhead cheerily speaks up while nodding her head. “I’ve already learned three, I've probably got it down now right? The rest should be easier.”

“Three?” Hu Qing sputters causing Qiu’s chest to puff out in pride.

“Yeah. Ling and Shun taught me the basic shield, qi bolt and qi blast talismans. I mean, it was a bit rough learning three at the same time at first but I rarely fail to make them anymore.”

“I- Is that so?” Hu Qing’s gaze briefly flicks to Ling before moving back to Qiu, her body language clearly showing her discomfort.

‘Good.’ Ling thinks to herself while carefully unfreezing her eyes.

 

-----

 

“This lowly Liyue Yiming welcomes venerable Li Ling.”

The man states with clasped hands and a low bow. Snapping her fan shut she signals him to rise. Even before the conversation begins Ling is already tired of the outdated ceremonies and overdone flattery. 

“Congratulations on securing your place within the top twenty, junior.”

Yet tradition demands she participates. Oh how she wishes she could burn the whole thing down. Sadly, concepts are not as susceptible to fire as she would’ve liked.

“Many thanks, senior Li. This lowly one dares not be so arrogant as to presume he will be able to maintain his position yet rest assured every possible effort will be expended.”

“Excellent.”

Keeping her dismissal curt but polite she moves the conversation along past the pointless greetings allowing both of them to take a seat. She can see Yiming’s brief confusion over the absence of her retainer before he masks it with a practiced smile, a glint of ambition clear in his eyes all the while.

Ling has to push down a sigh. Even the slightest change from the norm is overly read into. She’s sure he’s already convinced himself that the fact Shun was left behind means he has a chance at securing a spot as her retainer as well, ridiculous as the mere proposition would be. Just as she’s sure that he’ll no doubt overthink the fact that she continues on even before tea is served.

“Let us not dwell on potential losses and focus on the trial ahead instead. I have set aside a series of pills and talismans for your usage. You may come retrieve them after the victory banquet. So long as you maintain your position, of course.”

His eyes practically light up with how much his greed is on display. He hurriedly bows his head in thanks whilst rubbing his hands together. Ling has to channel a mote of ice qi through her veins to stop herself from showing her disgust. She supposes it is convenient that she already has a reputation for being cold and scorning contact with others because she cannot stand another second of this man’s presence.

“I believe that will be all.” She states without a hint of emotion and waves her fan to turn down the offer of tea. Staring straight into the man’s eyes she can practically feel his blood run cold. “Do not disappoint me, Liyue Yiming.”

She does not wait for a reply nor for his servant to assist with her chair whilst she stands up and confidently walks away. Her mask drops the moment she is away from them and she lets out a grumpy sigh, wishing she could return to her room and rest. Alas, more socialising awaits.

“Just one more, Ling. Just one more.” The ice princess mutters to herself hoping Liao Hefu won’t be such a pain to meet. She doesn’t hold high hopes for it.

 

Ah, mandatory social events. Don't we love them? How bothersome that these needlessly complex mind games Ling doesn't wanna take part in are getting in the way of the needlessly complex mind games that Ling is completely in denial about not enjoying.

 

5