Chapter 81: The Xie Clan
138 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
The penultimate arc begins!

 

 

To be honest, Zhi feels like she could’ve figured it out a lot earlier if she’d taken a moment to think about it. 

It had been subtle at first. People watching them from the windows or peering through gaps between the shutters. Not something to be questioned, in fact, she herself acted much the same whenever any dangerous looking strangers wandered into her turf. No, by itself it meant nothing.

The reason she’s now chiding herself is that it was far from the only sign.

Unrest is expected when a group of cultivators makes their way through a small village and certainly locals tend to keep their heads down whenever it happens. Usually there’s a lot more rubbernecking though once they think the latest curiosity isn’t looking their way anymore. In her experience there’s only two reasons such a thing wouldn’t happen: fear or repetition. And these people did not appear all that afraid. Wary to be sure. Anxious as well, perhaps even in despair. But not afraid.

No, they clearly weren’t the first odd or troublesome looking group to pass this way. Far from it. The people they met on the roads however more than made up for the fear the villagers lacked. 

The few merchants they encountered practically jumped out of their way, rushing to move their rickety carts off the road whenever they drew near and keeping their heads down until long after they’d passed. If the lacking quantity of merchants didn’t tip her off the quality certainly should have. Yet even for that there were more excuses that could be made.

No, it’s the combination of all of those things that should've given it away yet all it did was serve to raise their hackles, causing them to believe they were just imagining it when the forests around the road were just a bit too quiet.

Thinking about it that’s probably the reason they glossed over the nearly entirely abandoned villages near the border as well. It’s only now after Mu’s incredibly unsubtle ‘subtle’ gestures towards the hiding spot of the person following them that Zhi puts everything together.

War is brewing. And they’ve just walked right into the middle of it.

Now all they have to do is get through several thousands of miles of the Xie clan’s territory to make it to Golden Carp City, all while being watched by the clan in charge after they entered from enemy territory. ‘Ah well,’ Zhi thinks to herself. ‘Could be worse, roite?’

<This one has fallen below the minimum energy level required to engage in combat. Please be aware that this unit will be operating in low charge mode until such a time as Song Suwan will be available to recharge. Caution is advised.>

The moment Twelve finishes her sending Zhi attempts to enter a state of zen, clearing her mind from any stray thoughts so she can’t jinx them again. She groans in exasperation when it becomes clear that it’s far too late to avoid trouble.

“Well hello there ladies, what brings you all to this ancestors forsaken place?”

An’s eyes widen at the coarse looking man’s words. She remembers reading those exact same words in one of the novels her mother owned.

“A journeyman’s journey?” She whispers under her breath before she can catch herself. The man flinches and points at her with a furious scowl.

“Shut up! Whatever, doesn’t matter. Who are you all anyway?”

“That is none of your concern, brigand.” Yating speaks up while looking down her nose. “You court death barring our way, be gone at once!”

“Yeah, nah. I don’t think so, missy.” The scruffy looking rogue replies while shaking his head side to side. “I’m on the Xie’s payroll. Gotta check everyone that comes through. You mess with us, you’ll have to deal with them.”

With a snap of his fingers several unruly hooligans leave their hiding spots. One takes his place beside the one speaking whilst another two block off their rear. Yating has to commend their discipline. They’re all keeping their distance from them and while their hands hover over their weapons they’re clearly smart enough to know drawing them would be a terrible idea. Overt displays of aggression could rapidly cause the situation to deteriorate after all.

“Leave them to me, Yating. I can take them!” Mu enthusiastically shouts while slamming one balled fist into the palm of her other hand.

“Sister Gao, let us try a more diplomatic approach before employing the martial path.”

“Aww.”

“Master?”

“Argh, uhm, don’t mind it, An.”

“As you say, Master.”

“So, are you all about done?” The man speaks up while lazily tapping his foot. “Because I’m gonna have to do some evicting if I don’t hear names and reasons soon.”

Tai Yating’s heart sinks. She knows conflict is but a moment away and that there’s no way they can make it through the territory of an entire clan if they start fighting here, not without Suwan at the very least. She bites her lip in frustration. There are few options open to them and she likes each one less than the last. Deciding to start with the most palatable yet least likely to work she calls on all her experience as a clan heiress from before she abandoned the Tai, straightening her posture further and flaring her cultivation.

“This young mistress is Tai Yating. Who dares bar my path?”

“T- Tai?!” The man gulps and takes several steps back. “W- what brings such an esteemed personage as you all the way here?”

“That is none of your concern. Move or be moved.”

The man gulps and moves his hand away from his sword, both arms raised in front of him to show he means no harm. With a small head movement he gets his men to stand down and leave the area. Once they’re out of sight he clears his throat and takes a deep breath.

“I- I understand your frustration Lady Tai b- but if I let you through here just like that it’ll be our heads on the chopping block. Now I know I ain’t your match nor have any right to ask but please show some understa-”

“That’s enough. Stand down.”

“Captain Xie!”

“I’ll take it from here.”

The man certainly doesn’t need any further encouragement, practically scurrying away the moment those words leave the captain’s lips. Clasping her hands together the captain bows low, her brown braid hanging in front of her like the branch of a willow tree.

“This lowly one welcomes the esteemed guests to our Xie clan’s territory. We’ve been expecting you.”

“What?” Mu retorts eloquently. “You have?”

“Indeed, ah, Lady Gao I presume?”

“Y- yeah?”

“Our informants reported your impending arrival, disciples of Song. A thousand apologies for the misunderstanding, the information only just arrived and we have yet to be able to send it down the ranks.”

“No, no problem?” Mu continues questioningly while looking to Yating for assistance, uncomfortable and wildly out of her depth as the Xie continues.

“Please allow this humble warrior to serve as your guide through our Xie clan’s territory. I assure you I can be of use.”

Once more Mu turns to Yating, her eyes pleading for the more experienced woman to take over again. Yating’s first instinct is to turn the captain down, make their way past her and continue on at a faster pace. Distrust has served her well in the past but the more she thinks about it the more it seems like a bad idea this time.

After all, the fact that the Xie’s informants were able to let this woman know of their arrival before they even managed to cross the border means she likely has a communication jade. For a brief moment she considers rerouting their path through the Ke clan’s territory instead but entering the domain of the White Rose carries even more problems with it, even if their information transfer is a bit slower.

No, with the amount of communication jades the Steadfast Rock is capable of producing there’s no doubt that wherever they go the Xie will know long before they arrive. Her eyes narrow. Even with them being able to grant communication jades to everyone of importance unlike other factions where only sect elders or clan leaders could possibly afford such a thing they should not have enough to equip a mere captain of the border guard with one. If her fancy clothes hadn’t already given it away this fact certainly would. Whoever is in front of them isn’t anyone simple .

“Then we shall gratefully accept, captain. This one is Tai Yating, might I ask who I am speaking to?”

“Greetings, venerable Tai? This one’s name is Xie Chen.”

“A pleasure to make your acquaintance.” Yating lies. Even if she’s been away from sect life for quite a few years she’s kept an ear to the ground, not enough to get the minutiae but she’s aware of what the major players are up to. Which makes it concerning that Xie Chen is a name she’s heard of. Her heart skips a beat. Why of all places would she be here? 

Her stomach churns. They most certainly do not seem to be in for a pleasant ride.

“Might this one ask where your honorable company is headed?” Xie Chen asks courteously, her eyes briefly stopping on each member of the group in turn -other than Twelve- to make sure they know she acknowledges each of them as an equal. It occurs to Yating that the woman is vastly overestimating the amount of etiquette lessons Suwan has given any of them. Or how much etiquette Suwan herself is aware of for that matter.

 “We have some errands to run for our master, Lady Xie.” Yating decides to say hoping the reminder of who their master is will dissuade the woman from doing anything rash. “This one understands if duty does not allow you to accompany us all the way to Golden Carp City.”

“Nonsense, Lady Tai. This lowly one’s time cannot compare to that of your hallowed company.” Chen counters with a titter and what Yating perceives as more than a hint of bitterness in her voice. “Shall this one arrange for transportation, fellow cultivators?”

Mu’s eyes glitter and her hands ball in front of her at the thought of once more riding an extravagant carriage like the one Jin Fu has. Even so she refrains from answering, the slight shake in her right arm reminding her that talking to someone with authority is best left to someone other than her. The tremble does not go unmissed. Trusting in her master’s instincts An’s eyes narrow at the fancily dressed woman in front of them, observing her every move for signs of deceit. 

After all, the gaze she felt from their hidden watcher does not match the qi coming off any of the guards. It matches hers.

The plot continues to thicken, soon all will be revealed. Thank you for reading! I'm incredibly excited to write this arc. So much of the foreshadowing I've set up over the past year will finally get its payoff!

 

4