Chapter 86: Departure
210 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello hello everyone! Final chapter of this arc. Here we go!

 

Seeing Bao rush all over the place like a bull in a porcelain shop was quickly becoming a morning tradition within the group’s shared room. One could be forgiven for thinking that it is Bao herself that’s about to set off on a month-long incursion but no, the lanky woman is simply trying to find one thing or the other she’s misplaced over the course of the night.

“Bao.”

“One moment, I’ve almost got it!”

“Bao, we are leaving in less than an hour. It can wait.”

“Huh?! It’s that late already? I- if I had just two more hours I could- I could-”

“Bao.” Ling says once more with a slight smile adorning her features. “If you do not start getting changed now you will not be ready in time to see us off.”

“But…”

“You have done everything we could possibly expect of you and then some, Bao. Leave the rest to us.”

With the most serious nod Ling has ever seen the woman make Bao heads for the bathroom with her head hanging down. She then promptly turns around to go grab her clothes before once more making her way there. Ling has to turn her head away to hide a smile. She couldn’t wait to be back already. Alas, duty calls and Ling has plenty of things she needs to get done before they once more exit the hidden realm.

“Everyone, it is time for the final check. Let us make sure we do not forget any of the essentials.”

The first thing on their list is a rather bulky pill bottle. Qiu grimaces when she opens it, recognizing the 30 pellets inside.

“Won’t there be food we can gather inside?” She asks almost pleadingly.

“Perhaps there will be. We cannot rely on such an uncertainty however. Do not forget to take these along.”

“Yeaaaah…” Qiu replies with a sigh, making sure the bottle was securely stored in a pouch hidden beneath her sash. She hopes it’ll still be full when the month is over. While each pill contains all the nutrition a cultivator needs for an entire day the pills themselves are tasteless and chalky. Not acknowledging the redhead’s muttered complaints any further Ling moves on to the next item on their list. 

While the level of the talismans prepared for each of them is something Shun has complained about relentlessly, Ling finds herself disagreeing with the maidservant’s assessment. The brunette is simply too hard on herself even after producing talisman’s of the highest quality possible despite their recent resource drought. Not to mention the sheer quantity which speaks volumes about Shun’s diligence and persistence. 

Even split between four people instead of the two Shun had originally intended when she began production, each of them has more than enough to use several shielding and attack talismans every single day without running out. More so that is without accounting for the more specialized talismans Shun has produced for Ling in addition to the more costly ones they were able to requisition from the sect’s treasury.

Between the four of them they have enough talismans to outfit a small army. 

Whereas Shun herself keeps all of her talismans securely within the specially made talisman holder by her side each of the others has their own method of storage. Ling divides hers into several different stacks, each of them placed inside of a different hidden fold within her voluminous robes. Qiu’s method is both simpler and more complex. Much like Shun she has a talisman holder on her thigh but unlike the former, Qiu has a second one on her other side. The one on the left holds her defensive ones while the one on her right is filled with those more suited to offense. 

Shun had worried at first about whether or not Qiu would be able to access them without removing the rocky armor her arts create but that concern only lasted until Qiu showed she could manipulate any earth around her hands allowing them to move through the armor as if it were water. Pulling the correct talisman out of the holder had proven to be more of a challenge however hence the need to split them by function. Additionally each of the two holders has a separate compartment that can be clicked open to access the handful of more specialized talismans contained within.

Where Hu Qing is keeping her talismans isn’t known to anyone but the demi-spirit herself. One moment she was holding a stack of them and the next her hands were empty. Ling would let the girl have her mystery, they had more important things to worry about.

“I suppose we may as well discuss our strategy while we pack. Let us begin at the start. The moment we arrive inside we shall…”

 

------

 

The sun is only just beginning to rise over the horizon when the best and brightest of the White Rose sect’s youngest generation gather atop a large circular stone plate. Inlaid with all manner of inscriptions and surrounded by no less than six Core Formation experts the purpose of this plate is clear. It is both the seal, stabilizing formation and entrance to the hidden realm.

Ling keeps her posture straight and her expression blank. Already Du Juntao has been blathering on for more than fifteen minutes about the glory of the sect and how bright the future is in addition to singing the praises of each of the winning contestants. Except for Qiu and Fuchou. Ling’s mood sours at the former. She knows she should have expected it but that does not make it annoy her any less.

In the end it won’t matter. By the time they return from the hidden realm her worth will have been proven. Ling resists the urge to narrow her eyes. This is it. Now or never. They have exactly one chance to secure their positions before things get problematic. Should they fail…

…Well, she made preparations for that eventuality long ago. 

Of course that’s assuming they survive the hidden realm, something she supposes she should not take for granted. There is no use worrying about it any more now however for they have prepared in every single way they could. She looks at the woman to her right, the one that she has known for almost as long as she’s been alive and that has loyally served her all this time. Dai Shun. Ling can feel her heartbeat calm just by being in her presence and has to actively push down the warm smile seeking to bloom on her face.

Her eyes flick to her left where the second love of her life stands. Shen Qiu seems decidedly uncomfortable at the attention being aimed her way. Something that shouldn’t be the case given that she herself was a sect heiress until not too long ago. Ling’s eyes narrow, her good mood rapidly fading as her thoughts turned darker. All in due time.

Looking past the redhead her eyes briefly meet Hu Qing’s slit pupils before she moves on, unwilling to freeze her eyes and risk damage this close to entering the realm. She still has mixed feelings on the demi-spirit, her mind beginning to accept her even as her heart still offers complaints. The deal is sweetened however by the taller woman she spots in the crowd, staring at them through teary eyes. Ling is surprised by how touched she feels that Bao is worried for them to this extent despite the fact that they’ve only truly gotten to know each other several days ago.

The fact that she managed to make such a connection is promising and while she certainly does not intend to bring more people into her inner circle it gives her hope that perhaps the others she has formed may yet prove to be fruitful.

Standing close enough to the right of their group that there could be no mistake as to the fact that they’ve agreed to cooperate, Cai Yuu stands tall and proud. With his hands folded behind him and the three Mo that made it into the top twenty flanking him in the same way as Ling’s own group he is the spitting image of a sophisticated young master. 

More importantly, in the same way that Liao Hefu and Liyue Yiming stand behind Ling, so does Lai Xueya stand behind Yuu. Right next to Caiwu Yong. A clear showing of the Lai’s loss of prestige. It is almost enough to make Ling smile. Almost. There is still much the woman has to pay for before Ling will be satisfied.

The third and final of the three groups is the neutral one. Positioned directly behind the other two it contains the four Du branch family members as well as Hu Murong and Ke Ming Gui. Unlike the others there is no clear forerunner for this group. Instead they stand arranged in a more circular manner right behind the center of the platform. 

Not all have found others to cooperate with however. Closer to the back of the plate and to either side of the third group stand Baofu Fuchou and Tai Hen. While she isn’t too pleased about Baofu glaring at their backs Ling can’t deny she’s pleased to see that despite the fact that Tai Hen managed to recover in time for the hidden realm she seems positively subdued, standing as far away from them as possible and taking care not to even look in their direction.

“...But beyond all that I wish our fellow daoists good fortune during their trials. May they find treasures and fortunate encounters aplenty!” Du Juntao finishes to the approval of the crowd. 

Whether that is due to the contents of his speech or it finally being over however is hard to say. Either way Ling has more important things to think about as the carvings atop the platform beneath their feet begin to glow and the six elders channel more and more qi through them.

Gradually everything beyond the edges of the circle grows blurrier and blurrier until it fades into a pitch black starry sky. Then it feels as if the ground drops out beneath them. Even though they remain perfectly stationary the vertigo does not abate, if anything, it grows worse. The trip feels like they’re moving from a solid surface to a drop of water hanging from its edge, their fall taking them straight through the center of the thin connection. Years seem to pass in seconds and seconds seem to last centuries, the strange liminal space messing with the perception of anyone within.

A shudder runs through it.

One that is decidedly unnatural. Ling’s hackles rise as she recognizes the signs of their protections breaking down. Her eyes widen in disbelief. She read of such things happening before. Everyone in the middle of being teleported is either torn apart or lost beyond the plane, never to be seen again. She can feel her blood loudly racing through her veins. This shouldn’t be happening. They followed all the protocols, made sure no one with the strength to strain the boundaries too far was present and did everything in the same way her sect has successfully completed such transfers for millenia. 

Her heart thuds loudly as she drags her gaze sideways, the motion feeling as if she were struggling against the weight of the world. Was she wrong to trust Hu Qing? Was the demi-spirit not what she said she was after all?

…Had she doomed everyone she loved?

 

Thank you for reading! With this the arc is finished and the next one can begin. I can't say much without giving away spoilers but it's gonna be an intense one, both on the side of Ling and the side of Suwan!

To prepare for it in full -and to enjoy my vacation without having to worry about stuff throughout it- I'll be taking a one month break. Lilies and Dragons will resume in full once more on the first of October. Please look forward to it!

6