Interlude: Trouble comes on a northern wind
462 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
And we're back! The poll has decided, this year's anniversary chapter will be Alchemy with Hu Bao. Stay tuned!

 

Ren Zhongyi sat atop nought but a thin round pillow inside of a room with few decorations. That was not to say he wallowed in poverty however. The walls making up his humble abode were made of millenia old bodhi wood, the floor desk in front of him cost enough to bankrupt a well off clan, the ink he was using to write atop spiritual paper was imported from the Zhongguo plateau and his writing implement was a genuine phoenix feather.

Nor was the view lacking. A wide pair of sliding doors in front of him sat open carrying in a gentle breeze and allowing him to see all the way down the vast mountain peak atop which his residence was built. Tranquil qi hung so thick in the air even a mortal would be able to feel it and the air was so fresh every inhalation cut like a blade. It was the perfect place for the young master of the venerable Silver Sword Sect to make his home.

“Young Master.”

“Enter.”

“A report has arrived, my liege.”

Gesturing with his palm, Zhongyi signaled for his retainer to place the scroll down on his desk. Taking his time with his current work he spent the next few minutes diligently writing up instructions for the Divine Seat of the Art before summoning a courier and passing them along. Only once the man had sped off on his flying blade and no one but Zhongyi and his retainer remained near did he place his phoenix feather in its holder, let out a deep sigh and pulled the scroll towards him.

“Longyan, what news today?”

“Trouble, my liege.”

“Ah, some variety.” Zhongyi joked. “It has most certainly been too long. Refresh my memory, when was the last time a troubling report came in?”

“Three hours and seven minutes ago, my liege.”

“An eternity indeed.” He said with a smile and a shake of his head. “So, what affliction besets us today?”

“The north, my liege. The situation has worsened further.”

“The Shen and the White Rose?”

“Yes, but there’s more.”

“Oh?”

“A Song, my liege.”

“A Song? Truly? After all these years?”

“We have confirmed the veracity of this report.”

Without further ado Zhongyi channeled his qi into the scroll’s seal, opening it up and unrolling it. The further he read the more his brows furrowed.

“My friend, it seems we have finally discovered what the Bai are preparing for.”

“As you say, my liege.”

“You do not sound like you agree, Longyan.” Zhongyi said with a faint smile and raised his hand to forestall the retainer’s apology. “Speak freely.”

“While it certainly appears to influence their calculations this one does not believe we have the full context as of yet.”

“Oh? Do go on.”

“The Crescent Moon Sect is making moves as well. This one highly doubts they would act for a mere northern conflict.”

“Indeed.” Zhongyi replied with an approving nod. “The appearance of a Song could certainly be a feasible explanation to most but combined with the fact that she is unlikely to be beyond the Nascent Soul realm and remaining within the Northern Mountains her appearance is unlikely to be the cause. Additionally…”

Pulling another scroll from the pile neatly stacked atop his desk Zhongyi opened it to one specific part before handing it to Longyan.

“This…”

“Indeed.”

“My liege, this is beyond the level of confidentiality I am permitted to read.”

"Mhm." Zhongyi cleared his throat and coughed. “Do not mind the little things, Longyan. This is just between us.”

“As you say, my liege.”

Another small smirk graced Zhongyi’s features as he noticed one of Longyan’s sharp eyebrows crane up before his face settled into a thoughtful expression.

“I… This one is uncertain he understands the significa-”

“I told you to speak freely. Be frank, Longyan. What do you think?”

“I do not understand the significance of this report on the Eastern Jungles. Not only is it months old but isolationist as the east is some border skirmishes are unlikely to make much of a splash and they would have to traverse the entire Scorched Lands to intervene in the north.”

“Ah but it is not the what that matters, my friend. It is the who. Fetch that one for me, will you.” Zhongyi ordered while pointing towards one of the walls. 

Once Longyan channeled his qi into it a large formation lit up and the wall opened up unveiling a long drawer that stretched from floor to ceiling. Several meters deep and filled with scrolls it should not have fit within the thin wall in the slightest yet neither of them so much as paid attention to the spatial formation costly enough to bankrupt even sects such as the White Rose. 

“Thank you. Ah, here it is.” Zhongyi exclaimed after briefly studying the scroll. “Take a look at this. Do you see it?”

“T-this one is unsure? My apolog-”

“Do not be worried. Few could. Here.” He continued while pointing out a specific part of the report. “See this treasure the Eternal Dragon Sect put up for auction with the Red Swan Auction House? The one speculated to have originated from the depths of the jungle?”

“You believe a valuable legacy cave has been found?”

“Nay. If the Eternal Dragon Sect had found something such as that they would have devoted their all to hide it.

“Yet the treasure was auctioned off…”

“Indeed. One does not part with something of that quality unless they believe they lack the strength to defend it. Were an item such as this part of a legacy it would be a mighty one indeed. How could they be cowed if they had more on the level of this one?”

“If this one might be so bold to ask…”

“There is no need for such informal language, speak freely.”

“Understood, senior. How is this connected to the other report?”

“For that one needs to read between the lines. Do you recall the partial relocation of the Fan clan followed by the outward expansion of the Propagating Bough Sect from the other report?”

“Yes, senior.”

“Three hundred and forty years ago. Seven hundred and fifty three years ago. Four hundred and ninety years ago. Do these dates mean anything to you, Longyan?” Zhongyi asked before taking a sip of his tea, giving his retainer plenty of time to think before answering. When he saw Longyan’s eyes widen he knew his retainer had figured it out.

“The Wandering Queen? She’s on the move?”

“I am afraid so, my friend.”

Longyan’s brow furrowed. Biting his lip he considered his next words carefully.

“Then we are soon to face a time of upheaval once more, senior?”

“Do not speak of such things out loud Longyan. Provoking fate is ill advised. You are not incorrect however.” Zhongyi sighed. “It appears trouble comes on a northern wind.”

 

Thank you for reading! The world of Lilies and Dragons grows larger and larger. Exciting things abound and I for one cannot wait to get to the next couple arcs! Life is being a pain however so there'll be the anniversary chapter next week and then maybe one more chapter later this month but if not then at the very latest the next chapter will come out on the first of November after which the normal release schedule will resume.  I'm so happy everyone's still along for the ride and I can't wait to get to the finale!

 

3