Part 1 Formation – Chapter 4
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Sir!” Bachmus and Xanes saluted as Varsorus and Cortin walked into the hangar. 

 

“At ease,” Varsorus said. “You two finished loading the weapons?”

 

“Yes sir!” They replied almost in unison.

 

“They’re already on a cargo shuttle.” Xanes said.

 

“Good, those weapons better be sparkling, we don’t want the other Counterbi to be laughing at us.” Varsorus grinned.

 

“Also Bartnis is already on the shuttle.” Bachmus said. 

 

“Good then we’re ready to leave.” 

 

The men quickly moved to the shuttle, up the ramp and into its cramped passenger compartment. As the rest of his men settled into their seats, Varsorus called into the cockpit “We’re ready to go”

 

The ramp slid up and the door shut as Varsorus climbed into his own seat and strapped himself in. The shuttle jostled slightly as it lifted off the hangar floor. It hovered for a moment, waiting for the hangar doors to slide open, before rocketing out of the hangar and soaring up into the clouds.

 

“So Dakis,” Bachmus said, “Where do you think they're sending us?”

 

“I don't know Gregis. I imagine the Centerus will tell us that at the meeting.”

 

“I bet it’ll be against the Nónanae rebels,” Bartnis stated, “My cousin in the Imperis Barninti said they’re having a hard time dealing with them.”

 

“What about Commodore Sarcis?” Xanes wondered, “I hear Praefexis Sacaris’ forces are getting hit pretty hard by the Commodores fleet.”

“Please,” Cortin spat, disgust clearly evident on his face, “Like the Commodore could compete with Sacaris, he’ll be dealt with soon. Sacaris has the Imperis Ira backing him, there’s no way the Wrath of the Emperor is going to lose to Sarcis’ second rate fleet.” 

 

“It doesn’t matter who we’re going to go against,” Varsorus stated his chest puffing up with pride, “We’re part of the Imperis Pallus, lead by Arxictus Zekor, whoever we fight isn’t going to be causing the Empire problems for much longer.”

 

As the shuttle cleared the atmosphere and soared into the void beyond they could see the war ships hanging in orbit.

 

“Look, “ Xanes called as he stared out the window next to him, “It’s the Pride of Palleon.”  

 

The others looked out of their windows to catch a glimpse of the ship. It’s triangular shape sat, surrounded by the blackness of space. The glowing orbs of distant stars, and the ship's own flashing lights made the black hull of the mighty vessel visible to those around it. It was amidst a swarm of smaller ships, shuttles unloading men and cargo, fighters doing patrols, and a few small assault ships acting as escorts. 

 

The neared one of the vessel’s many hangars and slid gently through the energy field guarding the vessel's atmosphere. It was guided in by a technician and settled down into a row of other shuttles. The shuttle jostled again as it set down on the deck and its magnets anchored it to the deck of the vessel, locking it in place.

 

The group of soldiers stood and stretched their legs as the ramp door slid open and the ramp descended. The pilot strolled out of the cockpit and smiled, “You ground pounders can’t stand sitting in one spot can you?”

 

The men chuckled and Xanes said, “Not unless we really have to.”

 

“Thanks for the smooth flight flyboy.” Bachmus said with a grin.

 

“Not a problem boots” The pilot grinned back. 

The group walked down the ramp and into the bustling hangar. Technicians ran amongst the ships refueling those that needed it, or making repairs. Pilots stood in groups chatting, while some looked over their own ships checking to see if there were any issues before they were called upon to fly again. 

 

The pilot that had brought Varsorus and his men in looked over to one group of pilots engrossed in chatting, “You boys have fun.” He said and headed over to join his fellows.

 

A uniformed man walked over, stopped near the group, and signaled Varsorus to come over and speak to him. “Stay here.” he told his men before he left.

 

“Man,” Xanes said, “Can’t believe we’re aboard the Pride.”

 

Cortin snorted, “It’s just a ship.” 

 

“A famous ship, this ship was the one Kasitas Zekor and Emperor Palleon used to fight the warlords and reunite the Empire, and was passed on to Zekor’s son when he died, it’s a piece of history.”

 

“Sounds like it belongs in a museum then” Cortin retorted.

 

Bartnis cut in, “It's been refitted and updated, so it’s pretty cutting edge.” 

 

Before Cortin could respond Varsorus returned, “The briefing room is on deck six.” He said.

 

“What about our stuff?” Bachmus asked.

 

“They’ll have an orderly unload it and bring it to our quarters. We have to get to the meeting, it's going to start soon.” 

 

They nodded and followed Varsorus out of the hangar and into the ship's corridors. They passed by more people streaming through the tight corridors. Some were in a rush nearly barreling into other people as they ran past. Others walked with a steady pace, but all were filled with a purpose. They eventually came to a bigger set of doors and Varsosrus hit a button on a rectangle panel next to them. They slid open to reveal a small cylinder shaped room and once they’d all stepped inside and the doors shut a mechanical feminine voice sounded over unseen speakers, “destination?” It asked.

 

“Deck six.” Varsorus replied.

 

There was a slight jolt, followed by an uneasiness in the men's stomachs as the room began to move upwards. 

 

“I hate the feeling of lifts.” Bartnis said, “Makes my stomach feel like it’s being pushed to my feet.”

 

Bachmus laughed, “I know what you mean.”

 

The elevator slowed and came to a stop. The door slid open and the voice came back over the speakers, “Deck Six.” It declared, pleasantly. 

 

“Come on, the conference room shouldn’t be too far from here.” Varsorus said as he walked into the corridor. 

 

The others quickly followed. He led them a little further down until they could see a room guarded by two stern looking men in armor. “There it is.” Varsorus stated as they walked over.

 

They saluted the men guarding the door and walked into a room packed with people. About sixty men sat in rows upon rows of seats all facing a platform at the other end of the room. As Varsorus and his team took their seats at the back of the room three men walked out of a backroom and onto the platform. One of them stepped out in the middle of the stage while the other two hung back against the wall. 

 

The man stared intently at the others gathered in the room. His black uniform and narrowed eyes gave him an almost harsh look. His yellow eyes scanned the room as he sized up those in it.

 

“That’s not Centerus Halig.” Xanes whispered in surprise.

 

Almost as soon as Xanes finished the man spoke, his voice gruff, “I am Centerus Zarn, unfortunately Centerus Halig has disappeared and I have filled his place.”

 

“What happened to Halig?” Bartnis wondered in a hushed voice.

 

Zarn continued, “I don’t know how Halig ran this unit, but under me you men will act with the utmost discipline and professionalism. Do I make myself clear.”

 

The room thundered with a chorus of “Yes Sir!”  as the men stood and saluted. 

 

Zarn smiled and returned the gesture, “Good,” he said proudly, “At ease.”

 

The men settled back into their seats and Xanes whispered “who’s the two men behind him?”

 

“That’s Optius Mevlin, I don't know about the other one.” Cortin replied. 

 

“Good to see the Optis is still around.” Bartnis added.

 

“Would you boys shut up?” Varsorus hissed, annoyed.

 

Zarn continued, “First, the whole Imperis Pallus is mobilizing. However this ship is going to stop at Pretorim Station first. Arxictus Zekor has a meeting with the other sector fleets. After that we’re meeting back up with the rest of the fleet and heading to where we’re being deployed.”

 

He paused again, his body tensed slightly and his lips twisted slightly into a frown. He glanced over everyone in the room before continuing, “We are being deployed against the Bowins.”

 

There was loud hiss that filled the room as many sucked in a breath of surprise and fear at those words. “No!” Bachmus exclaimed, his voice hoarse with fear, “Not them.”  

 

Zarn nodded gravely, reading the current atmosphere of the room. “I know all of you have heard stories of the campaign that was waged to re-subjugate them after they broke away fifty eight cycles ago and how the remaining forces of the Imperis Vectivus from the Partorem Campaign and the Imperis Narklis were'' he paused before continue a grimace on his face,  “wiped out.”

 

“I want to ensure you,” he continued,”That we will not suffer the same fate, I’ve been informed by Praetorux Nitus, that Arxictus Zekor is planning to have the Imperis Ira, as well as the Milates Gladis back us up.”

 

Zarn relaxed a little and smiled at his men, “Now We’ll have more details for you once we reach the frontlines. For now, get settled in, write home and turn your letters over to the Optis for review, it might be a while until we’re back.” Then he gave them a salute and bellowed, “Dismissed!”

 

The men in the room stood and returned the salute. Once Zarn turned to converse with Melvin the men in the room began to disperse. Some crowded together, others called out to friends from other units while Varsorus and his unit gathered close to the door.

 

Cortin whistled, “the Milates Gladis, that's an Imperial army unit, they really must want the Bowin sector back.”

 

Xanes stood next to him, his face confused, “I don’t get it, what was that reaction when he told us we'd be going after the Bowins?”

 

Bartnis just stared at him, “You don’t know what happened?” 

 

“Well he mentioned something about two Imperi getting wiped, but are the Bowins really that powerful?”

 

“It’s not that they’re powerful,” Bachmus answered, “It's that their whole sector fleet rebelled with them. They have a whole Imperis level fleet defending their territory. Not to mention their species is also known for being the best spies and saboteurs around.” 

 

“Well I knew about the spy thing.” Xanes replied. 

 

“Yes.” Cortin said, “You're just as likely to get your throat slit in your bunk as you are getting shot on the battlefield.” 

 

Xanes shuddered at the thought and started to make a comment, but an elbow to the side from Bartnis stopped him.

 

“Hey, hey, that third guy from earlier is heading this way.” He whispered.

 

The others turned to look at the man heading towards them. His black hair was slicked back, and his black narrow eyes darted around the room as he walked, combined with his face's narrow features it gave him a look of being suspicious of everything around him while His jet black uniform and long black cape hemmed in red added an air of menace to his demaner.

 

“Look at his unit patch.” Xanes whispered.

 

Bachmus squinted to see it. It was a black shield, which would have been invisible against the rest of the uniform if not for the red outline. In the middle of the shield sat a red throne, and above the throne hung a yellow eye.

 

“Inquisates.” Cortin hissed, his voice filled with hatred.

 

“What’s a spook doing here?” Bachmus wondered. 

 

As he neared him Varsorus stiffened, and his face twisted into a scowl. Once the man got close to the group Varsorus addressed him, “Nelis Narklin, what brings you here?” He asked with a smile, though his eyes let slip that it was forced.

 

The man smiled, though his eyes held no pleasure in them, “Ah Artrix, it's been a very long time since we’ve seen each other.”

 

Varsorus’ eyes narrowed in suspicion, “You didn’t come all this way to see an old acquaintance.” he stated.

 

Narklin chuckled, “An acquaintance, is that all I am now? After all those years we spent in the academy together?”

 

Varsorus’ scowled deepened, “You know why that is.”

 

Narklin nodded and began to head out of the room but Varsorus followed, “You didn’t answer my question.” He demanded.

 

“Ah yes.” Narklin started, then lowered his voice, “I’ll tell you a little secret, for old times sake, the Inquisates dispatched several agents here to…well how should I put it?” He paused, “To determine the loyalty of the Imperis Pallus to the Emperor. There’s been a number of halted defections from some higher ranking members of the Imperis”

 

Varsorus’ eyes widened in realization, “Then Centerus Halig was..”

 

Narklin cut him off, “One of the traitors? Yes, rest assured he has been dealt with.”  He said with an edge to his voice.” So the Emperor decided to dispatch us to check up on affairs.” 

 

He stopped just in front of the door leading out of the conference room and flashed Varsorus a grin,  the harshness of the look in his eyes changing the expression from friendly to that of a predator, “After all.” He said pleasantly then lowered his voice to a growl, “One's devotion to the Emperor should not waver in these...trying times.”

 

Varsorus glared at him, “The Imperis Pallus is loyal to the Empire Narklin '' He said, his voice dripping with anger.

 

“Yes, but who, might I ask, runs the Empire?” Narklin replied before leaving the room.

0