Short Story 1 – Battle of Ferndisin Chapter 2
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Emperor Karanis sat upon his throne, scowling at the hologram of a shorter man. The man’s face shone with defiance as he spoke. “This Empire has grown corrupt and tyrannical,” He shouted. “Its taxes steal away our sons and daughters and drain our planet of its resources. Its murderous Emperor sits upon his throne of blood, as his harsh policies cause our worlds to suffer. I call for Justicar Karanis to be removed from the Imperial throne for the many atrocities he has committed. From the Ascension Purge to the Execution of the Lagata Qas leaders, the burning of Odathanes, and enslavement of the Cruedeh. This man can not be allowed to remain on the throne. Ferndisin will not pay our Imperial tithe until this tyrant is punished for his crimes!” 

 

Karanis’ fists tightened as his knuckles grew white, and his face twisted into a rage. The hologram of the man disappeared as he glanced down at those kneeling before his throne. He stood and descended the steps leading down toward the men. “This is a direct insult to my rule. They are in open rebellion against me, and this cannot be allowed.” He seethed, then his face lightened a bit with glee. “I have already executed their Synator before the Synatorus, but there is more punishment that must be dealt out. They shall serve as a lesson to the rest of the Empire that I WILL NOT TOLERATE TREASON!”

 

He stopped a few steps above the kneeling men. “Rise.” Zekor, Sacaris, Varkus, Trayick, Yirvet, and Javest rose and stood at attention before their Emperor. Karanis’ eyes hovered for a moment over each one of them. “Trayick, and Javest” He called.

 

The two men stepped forward as Karanis continued, “You will take your fleets and bombard this rebellious planet to ash.” 

 

“W-what of the civilian population and our soldiers on the ground, Emperious?” Javest asked.

 

Karanis’ eyes narrowed. “Was I unclear in my orders, Praefexis? I said you are to burn their planet to ash. That includes everyone on it.”

 

Varkus’ fists subtly clinched in anger, and Zekor's face slowly turned into a frown as Javest’s eyes widened in disgust. He stood for a few moments, emotions flickering across his face until a grim determination settled on it. “N-No,” he stammered. 

 

Karanis  whirled to glare at him. “What did you just say?” He said as he slowly began walking toward him, his hand lowering toward his belt. 

 

“I-I’m sorry Emperious,” Javest said taking a half step back, his eyes widening in fear as the Emperor stalked toward him, “I c-can’t in good conscience obliterate and entire planet full of civilians and loyal Imper-”

 

As Karanis neared him he pulled out his sword and as the angry blood red blade of energy burst into existence, bathing the nearby men in a harsh red glow, he swung it, decapitating Javest in one swift motion. The head hit the floor with a loud thump! It rolled across it until it came to rest at Zekor’s feet. Javest’s lightless eyes staring up at him.. Trayick and Yirvet flinched while Varkus stood staring at the body. 

 

Karanis stood there for a moment, staring at the body in a rage. The hum of the blade was all that filled the room. He then slowly turned to stare at the other military leaders, “I am your Emperor!” He screamed, “When I give you a command, you are to obey me, without question! To do anything less is treason.” He then  switched off the blade and returned it to his belt, and began to ascend the steps again.

 

“Zekor,” He spat, “You will send your forces to assist Trayick.”

 

Zekor stepped forward, his face filled with the same grim determination, “I cannot.” He stated.

 

Karanis stopped dead and whirled to face him. His hand resting on his saber as he took a step toward Zekor. As he did so, Sacaris quickly stepped forward and gave a slight bow. “Emperious, if I may?”

 

“Speak.” Karanis answered, continuing to glare at Zekor.

 

“Arxictus Zekor’s forces are too heavily engaged with the Bowins at this time, trying to re-subjugate them and end their defiance to your rule. If it pleases you, I have a reserve force I could send instead and will personally lead them in carrying out your punishment.” 

 

Karanis and Zekor stood silent, staring at each  other for several long, agonizing moments, before Karanis released his grip on his saber and ascended the steps again, settling on his throne once more. “Very well.” He said and gestured for the men to leave. 

 

Trayick and Yirvet rushed out of the room. Once Zekor and Sacaris were sufficiently far away, and nowhere near other people, Zekor looked to Sacaris, “You did not have to do that.” 

 

Sacaris flashed him a slight smile. “Please, old friend, I will not let you get yourself killed to uphold your sense of morality and honor.”

 

“You could have gotten yourself killed.”

 

Sacaris raised an eyebrow. “As you certainly would have if I hadn't stepped in? You know Karanis fears you, and would love an excuse to be rid of you.” 

 

Zekor waved away his comment.”I’m not as important as you think I am.” 

 

Sacaris shook his head and started to say something, but stopped as they both heard the sound of stomping feet rushing toward them. They turned to see Varkus stalking down the corridor by himself, his body tense with anger. 

 

As he neared Zekor, he stopped. “That man is going to be the death of this Empire.” 

 

Zekor looked at him disapprovingly, “Control your anger Praefexis Varkus.” 

 

Varkus clenched his fists, “I will not, Arxictus!” ''That man is a tyrant, and with every horrid act he takes, he drives more people to the rebellion. He is a threat to the continued existence of the Empire.”

 

“You’re hovering very close to treason, Varkus.” Zekor replied.

 

“Bah!” He grunted, “We swore an oath to defend the Empire, to protect it!” 

 

“The Emperor leads the Empire.” Zekor replied, his voice rising slightly and his tone turning harsh. 

 

Varkus glared at him before shaking his head. “Emperors can be replaced.” He snarled as he walked away.

0