Short Story 1 – Battle of Ferndisin Chapter 6
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fox and his companions rushed into the bustling hangar, laden with heavy packs and several other pieces of equipment slung over their backs and chest. 

 

“Hurry up Carhas!” Fox turned to call behind him as he sprinted up the ramp of the shuttle. 

 

“I-I’m going as fast as I can boss.” The older man huffed as he rushed up the ramp carrying a heavy pack weighted down with weapons and supplies. 

 

Fox and his group quickly settled into their seats and strapped in for the ride just as the shuttle lifted off the hangar floor and took off. As it rocketed out of the base and into the upper atmosphere it jerked and jostled slightly until it burst through the planet's atmosphere and into space beyond. 

 

“So Cap’n, are we assigned to just babysit or do we get to fight?” Kale asked.

 

“Fight,” Fox replied with a smirk, “Colonel Brerhart wants F Company to assault the enemy base while the rest cover the civies.”

 

Carhas grinned devilishly and slapped his right palm over his left hand with a closed fist, “Good, then we'll get to knock some Imperial heads around.” 

 

“How difficult do you think this job is going to be?” Klevan asked.

 

Fox shook his head, “No matter how it goes, it isn’t going to be a good one. Planet’s most likely going to be decimated and realistic expectations for how many we can get out before it happens are very low.” 

 

“How low?” 

 

“Less than one percent.”

 

“By Viritus,” Carhas spat, “murderous Imperial dogs.”

 

Kale shook his head in disgust, “More blood on their hands, and another reason for the rebellion to fight.” 

 

“Do we have an estimate on the size of the Imperial garrison?” Klevan inquired. “I hope we don’t end up having to evac the civ under fire”

 

“We shouldn't,” Fox replied, “Our company should be able to pin the garrison down in their base.” 

 

“Unless they’ve already left and are using the civilians as shields.” Carhas snorted. 

 

“That would complicate matters.” Kale added with a sour look on his face.

 

Fox grimaced, “It wouldn’t be the first time we’ve had to rescue civilians being held hostage, remember the battle of Mar’es”

 

Kale’s expression soured further and Carhas cringed, “That battle did not go well.”

“No, but we got in and accomplished our task, we’ll do just the same here no matter the situation.” 

 

His squad mates nodded solemnly as their minds drifted to past battles.

0