Chapter 8
22 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A bell chimed in greeting as Malek pushed open the door to Esmelle's shop. The magical ward protecting the shop tickled his skin and heated his necklace, but he ignored it, recognizing it was only to prevent anyone from entering who may intend harm.

The store was busier than he expected, and a couple of the customers glanced over at him briefly before turning back to the shelves they were browsing.

Bottles of liquids and dried herbs lined the shelves on the walls, while plants in various stages of drying were tied to racks overhead. A fire crackled cheerfully in the fireplace, and several candles were placed around the room, providing a cozy atmosphere. An older woman was seated in an overstuffed chair by the fireplace sipping from a steaming cup, a teapot on the table next to her.

Rather than the cold and dank atmosphere he'd experienced in some other witches' shops, this entire store felt more like a warm and inviting home. It only elevated his opinion of Esmelle. She obviously didn't need the traditional trappings to encourage business.

The woman he'd met the day before flitted around the shop, smiling and laughing with customers. Esmelle was once again wearing bright and vivid colors, and she smiled as she handed one of her customers a small cloth pouch. "Add a small pinch of this mixture to your bath water. You'll be feeling better in no time."

"Bless you, Esme," the elderly woman said, clutching the bag tightly to her chest. "I thank the gods every day for bringing you to Akros. I don't know what we'd do without you."

Esmelle beamed a smile at her and walked the old woman to the door. "You know it's always a pleasure to have you visit me, Lenore. But next time, I hope it's just because you'd like to share a cup of tea."

"Oh, I'll be back soon enough. You couldn't keep me away."

Esmelle closed the door behind the woman and turned to face Malek. Her eyes twinkled in amusement. "I was told a handsome ship captain might be visiting my garden today."

Malek chuckled. "Oh?"

"Mm-hmm." She gestured toward a door at the back of the shop. "I think you'll find my garden quite... fascinating. There are all sorts of lovely flowers and a few poisonous ones. You might want to step lightly."

Before he could respond, Esmelle swirled away in another wave of color and toward another customer. Malek grinned and headed for the heavy wooden door. This time, when he opened it, there was no sensation of the warding, which led him to believe it also encompassed the garden area. But what he hadn't been expecting was the explosion of colors and scents permeating the air.

The garden was a wonder with almost every type of flower and plant imaginable. He paused, unable to do anything but take in the sight of the unusual oasis in the middle of the disreputable city. It reminded him of the gardens from home, especially the one that had been lovingly tended by his grandmother for years until she'd passed away. He'd never thought to see their equal again.

Malek took a few steps on the cobblestone path and then halted as a furious buzzing noise rapidly approached. He turned to see a tiny man wearing a pair of overalls flying in his direction. The small pixie wielded a miniature spear and brandished it in his direction.

"Halt! State your purpose, stranger."

The high-pitched sound of other voices could be heard, and Malek caught sight of several other pixie faces peering at him from the foliage. Making an effort to keep the smile off his face, he held up his hands. "My name is Malek. Sabine's expecting me."

"Sabine? You must have the wrong garden. There's no pixie named Sabine here. Begone," the pixie sneered, still waving his weapon threateningly.

"Hush, Barley!" A tiny female pixie flew out from underneath a large leaf. Her bright-yellow dress put him in mind of one of the flowers gracing the garden. She darted close to him, looking him up and down curiously. "Don't mind Barley. Sabine put him in charge of defending the garden. He takes his job very seriously."

"I can see that," Malek agreed, both curious and fascinated by the pixies.

Pixies were particular about inhabiting certain gardens, choosing their homes with care. They naturally gravitated to areas with a Fae presence, and it shouldn't have surprised him to see them in the southern lands. But he hadn't anticipated seeing them in a city garden plot.

"I'm Blossom. I'll take you to Sabine."

"I'd appreciate that." Malek glanced over at a scowling Barley. The little pixie still hadn't bothered to lower his weapon.

"I'm watching you," Barley warned, waving his spear in Malek's direction and causing a shimmer of pixie dust to flutter to the ground. "Any sudden movements and you'll feel the sharp edge of my thorn."

Blossom giggled, a light, merry sound reminiscent of bells. She motioned for Malek to follow her and flew down the path. He kept to the cobblestones laid out as a charming walkway and moved deeper into the garden. Everywhere he looked, more exotic plants and flowers greeted him. The sound of trickling water caught his attention, and he wondered if they had a private spring here too.

As he turned a corner, he nearly stopped in his tracks. Sabine knelt a short distance off the cobblestone path in a patch of sunlight as she collected some plants. She hummed a wordless tune as she worked, and he was taken aback at the vaguely familiar melody. Her hair was once again braided, but this time flowers had been woven into the braids instead of poisoned hairpins. For the first time since he'd met her, he had the feeling he was seeing the real Sabine.

She looked up as he approached and gave him a warm smile that caused his heart to skip a beat. Brushing the dirt off her hands, she picked up the plants she'd chosen. "You managed to find me."

"So I did," he said, forcing his hands to stay by his side to keep from touching her. In the daylight and with the sun caressing her skin, she was even more captivating. It was going to be next to impossible to focus on why he was here.

Blossom landed gracefully on Sabine's shoulder and whispered something in her ear. Sabine grinned, her eyes twinkling with amusement. "Mmm. I agree. Perhaps I will."

Blossom giggled at Sabine's words, and the little pixie darted off back into the underbrush.

Sabine tilted her head. "I need to take these plants to the workshop. Will you walk with me?"

"Of course." Malek fell into step beside her. "This garden is extraordinary, and not just because of the plants. It's been a long time since I've been around pixies."

Sabine glanced up at him. "You've been around pixies before?"

"They used to visit my grandmother in her gardens when she was still alive. They disappeared around the same time she left this world. I didn't connect the two until now."

Sabine nodded. "Pixies can go into mourning when they lose a loved one. They search out sources of nature magic, but when it's gone, not even the life in the garden can sustain them when they're grieving. Many times, they'll abandon a garden in search of a new source."

Malek studied the flowers surrounding them, but he only caught a few flashes of color before the pixies disappeared again. It was impossible to know how many were living in the garden. "They appear to be flourishing here."

"Esmelle's a very talented nature witch."

He made a noncommittal noise. Esmelle might very well be a talented witch, but he suspected Sabine was the real reason the pixies had decided to take up residence here. It wasn't a secret pixies preferred to be around those with Fae blood.

Sabine led him toward a small wooden structure that was completely open on one side. It offered some protection from the elements, but it had been constructed in such a way to make it blend in with the rest of the gardenscape.

A large table had been built directly into one of the walls of the structure. On top were several bottles filled with various liquids and dried herbs. Sabine placed her plants on the table, and Malek caught sight of another pixie darting out from beneath the underbrush. This one wore bright-pink, which was the only way he was able to identify it was a different pixie than Blossom. A pink flower in her hands matched her dress. The pixie perched on Sabine's shoulder, placed the flower in one of Sabine's braids, and then giggled as she flew away. Sabine didn't react, which made him think this was a common occurrence.

Malek's mouth twitched in a smile. "The flowers in your hair are a nice touch."

"What?" Sabine frowned and patted at her braids. She gave him a sheepish smile. "Be careful, or you'll end up with some too. They like doing sneak attacks."

Malek chuckled. "I'll keep an eye out. What did Blossom say to you before she disappeared?"

Sabine gave him a mischievous smile. "She said you're extremely handsome, even though you're much too tall for her."

Malek arched his brow, determined to thank the little pixie next time he saw her. "Oh?"

"She also thinks I should take you as a lover."

Malek paused, remembering Sabine's response to Blossom's comment. Damn. He wasn't about to let that go. "Perhaps you will?"

Sabine bit her lower lip as though trying to suppress a laugh. "Mm-hmm. I'm considering it."

"I think we can do a bit better than that," Malek said with a grin and moved in closer.

She looked up at him, her eyes sparkling with humor. Unable to resist her for a moment longer, he lowered his head and kissed her. This time, there was no threat of approaching guards and he could take his time.

She tasted even better than he remembered, like berries or something else equally sweet. The scent of blooming flowers surrounded him, and when her body softened against his, he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer. He swept in, taking control of their kiss, and when she whimpered in response, his thoughts fractured.

He wanted this woman with an urgency that defied all logic or rational thought. No one had ever come close to eliciting this same level of response. She ran her hands up his chest and wound her arms around his neck. It only flamed his desire for her even hotter.

Lifting her, he placed her on the table and she wrapped her legs around him, drawing him closer. It still wasn't enough. Her magic flowed over his skin, inciting him to respond, but the warding necklace he wore prevented it from happening. Malek nearly yanked it off, but only barely managed to restrain himself. He wanted Sabine in every way imaginable, but it was too risky. If his suspicions about her were correct, she'd never allow him this close again when she learned who he was. The realization was enough to cool some of his ardor and replace it with regret.

Malek forced himself to break their kiss, but he couldn't bring himself to release her. He hesitated, desperately wanting to kiss her again. She blinked up at him with passion-filled eyes that were almost his undoing. If he knew she wouldn't run, he'd damn this entire operation for just one night with her. But he suspected one night would never be enough.

He reached up to tuck one of her braids behind her pointed ear and trailed his hand downward along her soft skin. She trembled at his touch, and he had the sudden urge to nibble on her ear. Without doubt, she was the most alluring and captivating woman he'd ever met—and he wanted to possess her completely. Even now, he couldn't stop touching her.

"I think you almost have me convinced," she said with a teasing smile, running her hands under his shirt and up his bare chest. She infused her touch with a hint of magic, and it was enough to fracture his weakening resolve. The thought of having her hands on other parts of his body was one of the most erotic things he'd ever envisioned, and he wasn't going to be able to hold back much longer.

Several pixies called out a warning, and a few seconds later, footsteps crunched on the cobblestone path toward them. He spun around, slapping his hand to his weapon as Esmelle and Javyn approached. Javyn's eyes narrowed on him, his expression anything but friendly. Dammit. Dax would definitely hear about this, and that would require some tactical adjustments to his plans.

Esmelle froze and then winced. "Ah, er, sorry. Didn't mean to interrupt. Javyn has an urgent message from Dax."

Sabine hopped off the table. "What is it?"

Javyn's jaw clenched, but he walked over to Sabine and held out a scroll. Sabine frowned and took it, unrolling it to read the message. She lifted her head. "When does he need this?"

"Before tonight."

Sabine frowned and rolled up the parchment. She offered to Javyn. "I'm not interested. Tell him to find someone else."

Javyn didn't take the message. Instead, he held out a small engraved box. "Will you reconsider? Dax is willing to pay whatever you believe is fair, and he wanted me to offer you a gift."

Sabine tilted her head to study the man but made no move to accept the box. "Are you asking for my help, Javyn? Or are you asking me on behalf of Dax?"

Javyn frowned and lowered the box. "The gift is from Dax, but I'm asking that you at least consider his request." He paused for a moment and then added quietly, "No one else can do what you can in the time allotted. If necessary, Dax will do this without you. But it will greatly increase the risks to everyone involved, including Dax."

Malek frowned. He didn't trust Dax, especially after he'd drugged Sabine, but it wasn't his place to intervene. Regardless of what had happened a few minutes earlier between him and Sabine, it didn't erase the history she shared with Dax.

Esmelle huffed. "Come on, Sabine. You know you're probably going to give in anyway. Let's see what sparkly Dax decided to give you this time." Without waiting for a response, she took the box from Javyn and opened it. She wrinkled her nose and muttered, "It's pretty, but I like it better when he gives you jewelry."

"That's because you end up wearing most of it," Sabine retorted and took the box. Curious about the type of gift that would appeal to Sabine, Malek took a step toward her to look inside. His eyes widened. Within the box was a highly stylized silver dagger. The hilt was extremely intricate and embedded with several precious stones. Such a gift had probably cost a small fortune.

"Oh," Sabine murmured and stared down at it, indecision clearly warring on her face. "This is a dwarven dagger, isn't it? Damn him. He knows I can't resist such workmanship."

Esmelle snickered. "You're too easy, Sabine. He's probably had that sitting in his vault waiting until he pissed you off again."

Sabine looked up and shrugged, but she didn't dispute Esmelle's words. Putting the box on the table, she lit the brazier and burned the message. "You can tell Dax I'll do it, but this is going to cost him. And if he pulls another stunt like the other night, it'll be the last time."

Javyn's shoulders relaxed at her agreement, and he nodded. "I understand, and I'll let him know. Do you know when you'll have the information?"

"A few hours. I'll come to the tavern once it's done," Sabine said, turning off the brazier. One of the pixies darted into the ashes and proceeded to make tiny, sooty footprints along the table. Another one squealed and dove into the mess, tossing ash into the air like confetti.

Sabine scooped up the confetti-throwing pixie and blew the ash off its wings. "You know you're not allowed on my table, Acorn. It took days for your wings to heal last time you knocked over one of my jars."

Barley swooped in. "My apologies, Sabine. I will ensure this young troublemaker will be suitably punished." He scowled at Acorn. "Move it, soldier! I'll have you whipped into shape in no time."

The young pixie's eyes widened in fear. He threw his little body down on Sabine's palm and begged for forgiveness. Sabine's mouth twitched in a smile. "I think herding the caterpillars away from Esme's garden this afternoon should be sufficient. No whipping will be necessary."

Barley saluted Sabine. "You heard her, soldier! Let's go!"

"I wish they listened to me half as well," Esmelle muttered as the pixies flew away. "I'm still finding pixie-sized hand and face prints all over my windows."

Sabine brushed the ash off her hands. "Put out some sugar water or a honey cake. Tell them they need to clean the windows before they can have any. It'll get done in record time."

"Hmm. I'll have to try that."

Sabine turned toward Malek and gave him an apologetic smile. "I'm afraid I need to take care of something."

"So I gathered," he murmured, wishing he'd had an opportunity to get a look at the message from Dax. "Do you need help with anything?"

Before Sabine could respond, Javyn interrupted. "Dax would like a word with you, Malek. He sent a message to your ship requesting an audience. I'll be happy to escort you to him."

Malek resisted the urge to curse. The last thing he wanted was to deal with Dax, especially when he'd just had Sabine in his arms. He still didn't know what Sabine saw in the demon nor did he understand the connection between them. If he didn't need to worry about offending the master thief, he'd say to hell with Dax. But until he found what he came for, Malek needed to continue this charade.

Esmelle cleared her throat and picked up the box containing the silver dagger. "I'll take this inside for you, Sabine. You can pick it up whenever you're finished... doing whatever it is you need to do. Come on, Javyn. You can wait for Malek in the shop."

Javyn scowled and shot Malek a warning look before turning and following Esmelle. His meaning was clear: he wasn't happy about Malek getting close to Sabine. That was too damn bad.

Sabine reached out and brushed her fingertips across the mark on his wrist. It flared to life briefly at the contact and then settled down, but he knew she'd infused more of her magic into it. Even now, it coursed through his body in an erotic wave of heat.

Sabine placed her hand on his chest. "I'm glad you stopped by, Malek. Maybe we can continue this later?"

He barely resisted the urge to groan. This woman had managed to get under his skin already. One small touch from her was enough to make him want to pin her against the table again. He lowered his gaze to her mouth, tempted to kiss her again, but he wasn't sure he'd be able to stop. He needed to figure out a way to convince her to trust him, before she learned the truth. It was only a matter of time before he gave up trying to suppress his instincts when it came to her.

Reaching up, he caressed her face. "You couldn't keep me away."

Her mouth curved upward, and she pressed a light kiss against his lips. "You should go. Dax gets grumpy when he's kept waiting, but I look forward to seeing you again soon."

* * *

Sabine watched Malek head back to Esmelle's shop and leaned against the table for support. She'd never been so drawn to someone before, and it had thrown her completely off balance. Years of lessons with Dax and Bane had taught her critical skills in self-control, especially when it came to her magic, but she'd finally met someone who challenged that foundation. Balkin, the Beastman who'd helped her escape the Fae years ago, was going to be furious if she jeopardized everything.

Blossom swooped down and perched on her shoulder. "I knew it! You are going to take him as a lover, aren't you?"

"I'm not sure that's a good idea," Sabine admitted, even though she thought Blossom was probably right. If Javyn hadn't interrupted them, it might have happened much sooner than she intended. "Did you pick up on any magic from him? I can't quite get a read on him."

"He's definitely not fully human, even though he's pretending like you," Blossom said, her wings buzzing close to Sabine's ear. "He was wearing a ward. I couldn't get close enough to find out. Barley tried too."

Sabine frowned. "Yeah. I sensed the ward. I think that's the reason my mark is breaking down so quickly. I have to keep refreshing it. I wish I knew why he's holding on to it. I even tried enticing him a little with my magic to get him to lower it, but that didn't work either."

Blossom pulled on one of Sabine's braids, most likely adjusting one of the flowers. "He likes you. Maybe he's hiding too. Maybe you are meant to be together, like fated lovers from the old days."

Sabine sighed. "That doesn't happen anymore, Blossom. We've corrupted too much of the natural magic of this world since the portal closed. It's nothing more than a faery tale now."

Blossom flew off her shoulder and faced Sabine. Putting her hands on her hips, Blossom said, "But you're helping to bring it back! You're returning the balance. Maybe he can help you."

Sabine shook her head and pushed away from the table. It was a pretty thought, but it was impossible. If he were full-blooded Fae, she would know it. "Dax has another job for me. I need to get some information for him, so I'll be gone for the rest of the day. I know you're hoping Malek is special, but I want you to stay away from him. No following or spying. It's too risky in the city."

The pixie's wings drooped. Sabine automatically held out her hand, allowing Blossom to perch on her palm. Blossom's bottom lip stuck out in a pout, and the pixie crossed her arms over her chest. "He won't catch us."

"He's been around pixies before," Sabine reminded her gently. "You're very talented, but it's too dangerous. If it weren't for all of you, this city would have been unbearable for me to live in. I don't want to risk losing you."

Blossom wrapped her arms around Sabine's thumb and hugged her. When she finally had to leave Akros, she would miss Blossom and the rest of her family. It was sometimes difficult for pixies to abandon a garden once they'd established roots. Sabine had made it a point to warn them against doing such a thing. This wasn't a permanent spot for them, and they'd only temporarily claimed it. Pixies lived in large family colonies, and at last count, this garden had forty-three tending it. She knew each one of them by sight, with their own peculiarities and personalities.

Blossom had been the first to find her, but it hadn't taken long for other pixies to take up residence. She cared about all of them, but Blossom would always have a special place in her heart. Sabine smiled at the little pixie and sent a wave of her magic over her. Blossom trilled in happiness, and a wave of pixie dust scattered around her.

"Will you come back later?"

"Probably not. It's not safe to stay at Esme's too many nights in a row. I'll try to visit tomorrow. Will you collect some mint from the garden tonight? Esme's getting a little low."

Blossom nodded. "It's a good moon. It should be potent tonight. I'll have some of my sisters help me."

A pixie shrieked somewhere deeper in the garden, and several giggles followed. Sabine grinned as Blossom took off in search of the mischief makers. Plucking the flowers out of her hair, she headed for the shop. It was tempting to leave them in, but it didn't exactly fit the image she'd cultivated. The pixies seemed to enjoy braiding her hair, so she usually let them do it while she worked in the garden. They frequently got a little carried away.

She pushed open the door of the shop to find Esmelle busy helping an older woman, so Sabine simply waved to her before grabbing her cloak and heading out into the sunlight. Night was the preferable time to travel, which allowed her to either gather the shadows to help hide her identity or traverse the rooftops. But she couldn't risk using the thieves' highway in the daylight. The chances of someone seeing her were too great.

As she moved through the busy streets, she used glamour to make small changes to her features and mask her appearance. With each step, she darkened her skin, elongated her nose, and added a few wrinkles for good measure. She'd spent too long in Akros and was becoming too recognizable. She was reluctant to leave the small family she'd created here, but it might be safer for all of them if she moved on. The thought filled her with regret, but she wasn't willing to risk endangering any of them if her identity was discovered.

The city streets were crowded with merchants hawking their wares and trying to solicit prospective patrons. Sabine ignored them and made her way toward the oldest section of the city, relaxing slightly as the crowd thinned. The remnants of ancient power drifted upward through the cracks in the cobblestones lining the street, a residual effect from the time the gods still walked this world. It was rumored the worshipers of a mated pair—Ethos the Keeper of Shadows, and Brymis, Mistress of Twilight—had originally built Akros. They had long since abandoned the world with the rest of the gods, forced into exile during the Dragon War. The touch of their magic still remained, and it was their lingering power that helped Sabine hide in the city.

She approached the abandoned temple that had once been a great place of gathering and community. After the exile of the gods more than a thousand years earlier, countless sacrifices had been made in an attempt to recall them to this plane of existence. Even now, Sabine could detect the echoes of spilled sacrificial blood as she walked across the cobblestones. She released her modified glamour and surrounded herself with the shadows, using them to ward against the strongest lingering emotions. Even those without much sensitivity to magic could feel the effects, which was why this part of the city was mostly abandoned. It could be unsettling, if someone didn't know how to ward against it.

Sabine pushed open the creaking gate to the large grassy courtyard of the temple. Ivy and other foliage had begun to reclaim the building, but the magic of this place had prevented it from fully taking it over. That might happen one day, but it wouldn't be for a long time yet. The gods had protected this place well, and most of their magical protections still worked.

Turning away from the temple, Sabine headed toward the rear of the building where the burial stones and crypt remained. The burial stones were large obelisks carved with runes. Some were traced with protections, while others detailed the names and feats of those who were buried within the crypts. The language was old, from a time before the humans had come to the city. To her knowledge, no one except the oldest magical races could read the language or access the magic of the stones. This was the greatest source of power within the city, but only if you knew how to properly tap into it.

A young boy emerged from behind one of the burial stones, his eyes lighting up at the sight of her. Sabine gave him a warm smile. "Good afternoon, Toby. Any problems today?"

He shook his head and grinned, revealing a gap where he'd lost another tooth. Toby had been a fairly recent addition to Edvar's little band of rebels, but he appeared to be thriving. There were too many orphaned or abandoned children in the city. It broke her heart a little, but it was impossible to help them all.

Sabine approached one of the largest crypts and traced a pattern on the door, using the surrounding magic to unlock it. She'd originally intended to make this her own private getaway to escape from Dax and Bane when they irritated her, but she'd quickly seen others had more pressing needs. With so much lingering power, she'd been able to teach the human children how to manipulate some of the magical doorways in this area. It offered them a measure of protection and a place where they could live safely without fear.

The rune glowed in acknowledgement of the power she offered, and the door slid open with a groan. Stepping into the dark hallway, she formed a light in her hand—one of the earliest magics she'd learned as a child. It was bright enough to chase away the darkest of the shadows, but not enough to eliminate them completely. After all, the shadows were what gave this place its power. They could be used but never destroyed without creating an imbalance.

At the bottom of the stairs, Sabine traced another rune onto the wall. A hidden door opened, and she released her summoned light source before stepping inside the old stone building. It was part of the crypt but couldn't be easily accessed if one didn't know the path to walk or the correct combination of runes. Deeper within the building, she heard laughter and other voices.

Sabine paused for a moment to listen. It always warmed her heart that these children could still find reasons to smile when life had been so cruel to them. She'd once laughed that way too, but it had been stolen from her a long time ago. It had been years before she'd learned how to smile again, but some semblance of safety had to be achieved before she could embrace those emotions. She still wasn't safe and probably wouldn't ever be, but she'd come to terms with that.

She wasn't sure if these children felt the same way or if they'd released their earlier burdens when they embraced the sanctuary of the crypt. Either way, every time she came here and saw them, her soul lightened. Dax didn't understand why she bothered with these forgotten children, and even Bane had been somewhat perplexed. Esmelle, on the other hand, seemed to sympathize with their plight. The witch regularly asked after them and left small sacks filled with children-sized clothing and other items on Sabine's bed for her to take to them.

A teenage girl, maybe a dozen years younger than Sabine, stepped out from one of the rooms. Her eyes widened and a broad smile crossed her face. "Hey, Sabine! I heard the door and thought Toby might have been coming in."

Sabine smiled at Talia. "No, he's still outside. How are you feeling?"

"Much better! The tonic you sent over from Esme worked great. Edvar's even sending me on a job tomorrow." The dark-haired girl grinned and tucked one of her braids behind her ear. She'd started trying to wear her hair in a similar style to Sabine's several months ago. One of these days, Sabine might try to bring Talia to visit the pixies. They'd enjoy meeting her.

Sabine nodded. "Good. I'm looking for Edvar. Do you know where he is?"

"He was in the dining hall a few minutes ago. Do you want me to let him know you're here?"

Sabine shook her head. "That's all right. I'll find him."

Ignoring Talia's curious look, Sabine headed down the hallway in the direction of the voices. Talia's surprise wasn't unusual; Sabine didn't interact with most of the residents on a regular basis. They all knew who she was, and she'd recruited a few of them. It was better if she kept her distance. The more relationships she developed here, the harder it would be when she finally had to leave. As it was, Edvar and Talia had come to mean a great deal to her. Her departure would affect them the most, but she'd warned them it was inevitable.

Sabine entered the dining area, which had previously been empty and abandoned for generations. Edvar and the other children had spent months trying to return it to some semblance of its former glory. They'd done a remarkable job with their limited resources. The walls were stone, and the table itself was a heavily carved piece of wood that was ancient in origin. The magic of this place had prevented it from falling in complete disrepair, but the enthusiasm of the children had brought it back to life.

Unwilling to interrupt, Sabine leaned against the wall and watched as Edvar doled out tomorrow's assignments to everyone in the dining area. He was older than the children who lived here, and she guessed he was somewhere in his late teens or early twenties. His operation wasn't as large or as profitable as Dax's, but it served as a feeder group to Dax's crew. Sabine once thought Edvar would have wanted to join Dax's crew, but he'd insisted on remaining here instead. That suited her fine; she couldn't afford to be more entwined in this operation than she already was. Between Edvar and Talia, they had everything well in hand.

Edvar pushed his dark-blond hair out of his eyes and handed a rolled-up document to a young girl no more than nine or ten. She gave him a wide smile and darted out of the room. Edvar looked up and met Sabine's gaze. She nodded at him in greeting, and his eyes warmed.

He walked over to her, and she noted he wore some of the clothes she'd dropped off for him a few weeks earlier. He was almost as tall as Dax now, and his shoulders were almost as broad. Only a faint trace of his former youthfulness remained. She'd met him when she was still fairly new to the city. One of the city guards had been a little too rough after he'd been caught pickpocketing. He'd managed to escape to this part of the city, which was where Sabine had found him, bleeding and on the verge of death.

Sabine had taken him to Esmelle's shop, and the two of them had nursed Edvar back to health. Once he recovered, she showed him how to navigate the crypts and helped him set up his operation. Talia had been the next to join them, and the other children followed after that.

Edvar shoved his hands into his pockets. "We weren't expecting you until later tonight, but I'm glad you're here. That vendor with those cakes you like set up his cart not too far from here. I think Talia's on her way out to pick some up."

She smiled, touched by his thoughtfulness. "I just ran into her. If she gets back before I have to leave, I might steal one to take with me."

"It's not stealing if she's going out specifically for you," Edvar said with a grin. "Oh, I got your message yesterday. The kids have started looking for Terrance, but they haven't had any luck yet. They're supposed to check in with me again later tonight."

"I'm actually here on another matter." She glanced at the younger children. "It would be better to discuss it privately."

"Of course." Edvar motioned for her to follow him. Edvar's bedroom was down the hallway, right next to the room she used when she spent the night. That wasn't often, but she tried to mix up the places she stayed. One of these days, it would be nice to have a more permanent place to call her own.

She swept her gaze over the room as Edvar hastily picked up clothes from the floor and tossed them into a corner. "Can I get you a drink?"

"Maybe later. Unfortunately, I can't stay for long." Sabine walked over to some papers scattered on the desk and picked up a hand-drawn picture of Talia. The likeness was uncanny. He'd managed to capture Talia's inquisitive nature perfectly. "This is wonderful, Edvar."

"Yeah? I thought it came out pretty good, but I need to fix a few more things on it," he said, looking away as though he were embarrassed by the compliment. "I plan to give that to her when it's finished."

"I'm sure it will be a treasured gift." Sabine put the picture back and caught sight of another one. She arched her brow at him, and Edvar winced.

"Sorry. I know you don't want me to draw you, but..." He gave her a sheepish smile and shrugged. "I couldn't resist. I-I can get rid of it, if you want."

The last was said almost with regret. Sabine didn't answer right way. Instead, she picked up the drawing and studied it. It was very good—a little too good. She was laughing in the image, and Edvar had enhanced her features as though he'd seen through most of her glamour. Artists possessed their own special brand of magic.

The thought of destroying something belonging to Edvar filled her with regret. He'd already lost so much, including his family. She couldn't bring herself to take this from him too. With a sigh, she said, "I won't ask you to do that, but I can't risk allowing this to fall into the wrong hands. If someone looking for me were to find it..." Her voice trailed off, and she shook her head.

"I would never do anything to put you in harm's way, Sabine," Edvar said quietly and rubbed the back of his neck. "It's only a picture. You can tear it up. I... I needed to draw you. I can't seem to get it quite right though. I've been working on it for weeks."

She gave him a small smile. Edvar didn't give himself enough credit. Instead, he'd attempted to reconcile the truth of her appearance with what she presented to the world. "I can't bear to see your creations destroyed. I trust you, Edvar. Just don't allow it to leave the crypt."

"Of course. Whatever you want." Edvar paused and frowned. "Do you mind if I show Talia when I'm finished? I won't show anyone else."

"That's fine." She returned the picture to the desk.

In another place, Edvar might have an opportunity to do something great with his artistic talent. She'd once suggested he consider going to one of the northern cities to study art, but Akros was his home. She hadn't pushed. One thing she'd learned over the years was everyone had their own destiny to follow.

Turning back to Edvar, she focused on the reason Dax had asked her to come. "Do you know Baxter Rasten?"

"The councilman?"

Sabine nodded. "I need a drawing of his house. I've been inside a few times, but I don't have your artistic talent."

"Sure." Edvar picked up his sketchpad and sat on the edge of his bed. "Do you want the exterior or interior?"

"Both. We're running a job there tonight, and I need to have a detailed floorplan for Dax and his crew."

Edvar frowned and started to sketch. "I can do that. I remember the outside of the house well enough. I used to pickpocket not far from there when I was a kid. Festin was working that area until a few days ago. He said there's been some commotion lately, and they've increased security. They're using mercenaries, though, not city guards. Do you think it's tied into the stuff they found in the catacombs?"

Sabine walked over and sat beside Edvar, watching as the image of the house came to life in front of her. His recollection of the building was better than she expected, but Edvar had always had an eye for this sort of thing.

"Perhaps. It would explain why Dax wants to break in tonight. There's something going on with the city council. They've been making a lot of changes. I'm not sure what it means for everyone living in Akros, but I've been trying to get more information. You may want to give the kids a warning and ask them to lie low for a while."

Edvar snorted. "No one pays attention to street kids, Sabine. You know that."

She nodded. "You're right, but it may be worth it to issue a warning. I have another request too."

"Anything," he murmured, continuing to draw the outside of the house.

"You should never make such an offer in a place of magic without hearing the terms first," she reminded him gently. When he rolled his eyes at her, Sabine laughed. They both knew she wouldn't take advantage of him, but others might if he gave them the opportunity. "There's a ship in the harbor right now called Obsidian's Storm. Do you know it?"

Edvar's brow furrowed. "Yeah. Smuggler ship. It got here a few days ago. Dax approved the docking and made the arrangements with the dockmaster."

Sabine smiled. Edvar had always been well-informed. "Yes. Can you have one of the children work the dock area for a few days? I'd like to get more information about the crew, especially the captain."

He frowned. "Sure, but I can handle that for you."

"You're a little too recognizable now, Edvar," she teased lightly. "That's why Dax doesn't go out on jobs much anymore. It's hard to stay in the shadows when everyone knows who you are."

Edvar shrugged and ran his finger over the paper, shading the drawing to give the image some depth. "He still goes on some jobs. Like tonight. If he's asked you for information about the councilman's home and it's surrounded by mercenaries, he won't let you go in alone."

Sabine was quiet for a long time. Dax was protective of her, and Edvar tried to emulate the demon's behavior. The biggest difference was, Edvar was protective of all the children living and working for him, while Dax primarily looked out for himself. She was the only exception.

When Edvar completed the rough sketch of the exterior, he turned the page and waited for her instructions on the inside. Sabine started to describe what she remembered, but there would be some estimations. Dax hadn't given her enough time for much more than that, and it had been several months since she'd last been inside the councilman's home.

"There are two floors, plus a cellar. I've been in most of the rooms, and it's unlikely they would have changed much since then."

Edvar began drawing. "I thought you avoided places like this."

"I usually do," she admitted, pointing out an area that needed to be enlarged. "Baxter has one of the largest libraries in the city. He doesn't notice when I borrow a book or two. It's fairly easy to sneak in and out to replace them and grab more."

He grinned, his hair dropping down into his eyes. He absently brushed it away and resumed sketching. "You're the only person I know who steals books and then returns them."

"Borrow," she reminded him with a laugh. "Although, he has some excellent wines in his cellar. Those, I don't borrow. But tonight, we won't be shopping for books or wine. Dax is hoping for a big score. We'll see if he actually manages to pull this off."

1