Chapter 15
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sabine walked back into the tavern's meeting room with Bane. Dax and Balkin were sitting at a table someone must have found and brought downstairs. The splinters and pieces from the old table had been removed, leaving no hint Dax had thrown a fit earlier. The chalice was on the table in front of them, and they were both studying it but neither of them touched it.

Balkin looked up when she entered. "Good. You've returned. Your protector informed me you've been communing with dragons."

"It would have been nice if someone had shared that with me earlier," Sabine grumbled and slid into a seat. "But yes. He's sworn a blood oath not to harm me, but he's a subject best discussed another day."

"A dragon as an ally may give you an advantage in dealing with the Fae," Balkin suggested, his golden eyes gleaming.

Sabine frowned. "Only if the dragon decides to eat them. They'll be more inclined to double their efforts in killing me if they think I'm friendly with the enemy."

Bane chuckled and placed a glass of wine on the table in front of her. "You were kinder to him than I expected, although I did enjoy watching you toss him into the side of his ship."

Dax's mouth curved into a satisfied smile. Before he could say anything, Sabine pinned him with a glare. "Don't start."

Balkin's whiskers twitched, and he gestured to the chalice in front of them. "Tell me your impressions when you first touched it, my darling kitten."

She sighed and picked up the wine Bane had poured for her. Taking a sip, she studied the chalice sitting in the center of the table. It was pretty enough and valuable on its own merit, but now she had to wonder if it was truly one of the artifacts Malek was hunting.

"It all happened very quickly. Dax picked it up first, and it was obvious he'd been caught in a trap. There were layers of magic wrapped around it, and I could see the power trying to bind him. I'd only seen a lich ward once before when Elder Thoma'vertina demonstrated it. The binding on the chalice was similar."

Balkin nodded and gestured for her to continue.

She tilted her head, considering the artifact and trying to piece together her memories. "I believe the lich ward was the last magic applied, and Dax was its intended target. I was able to transfer the lich ward to myself by using the pact you formed between us. From there, I was able to neutralize it with my blood like Elder Thoma'vertina had shown me. But when I did, it... the chalice somehow recognized me." She shook her head, not sure how to explain. "It's different, Balkin. It's neither Seelie nor Unseelie, but both somehow. I think it recognized my magic as being similar. I was hoping you might know more about it."

"Malek believes it's one of the artifacts used to seal the Dragon Portal," Bane said, dropping into one of the empty chairs.

"Interesting," Balkin murmured, his tone a little too mild. "What do you believe, my darling kitten? Was this object crafted before the portal was sealed?"

Sabine took a sip of the wine. It was from another bottle of Faerie wine, but this one had a gold cap, indicating it had more substantial power in it. Bane had likely poured it so she could compare the magic within it to the power in the chalice. There was no comparison. The wine was Seelie magic and nothing more.

"I think it's possible. Before the portal was closed, the Fae were one people—neither Seelie nor Unseelie. I don't know how different Fae magic was back then, but it was much closer to the true magic of the gods. I sensed something similar from the chalice when I picked it up."

Balkin nodded and leaned back. "One of the artifacts was rumored to be a chalice."

Sabine's eyes widened, and she studied it again in a new light. "My mother told me stories about the artifacts of power, but she never told me what they were. If this is the same one from legend, why would it have been hidden in a human city? I assumed it would have been kept with our Keepers of Knowledge."

Balkin steepled his clawed hands together as his eyes took on a faraway slant. It was entirely possible he was trying to recall something from long ago. Balkin had lived longer than everyone in the room combined. Occasionally, it took him a while to sort through his memories.

He tapped his claws, clicking them together lightly. Sabine had witnessed him rip apart intruders with those claws when they'd trespassed into the Silver Forest. Yet she'd never been afraid of him. Balkin was the one person she trusted most in this world.

After a long time, Balkin said, "The Fae may have been given the gift of knowledge to create and wield the chalice, but it was later entrusted to my people for safekeeping. We hid it in a place where we believed none of the magical races would look, should the fighting amongst them lead to temptation in releasing the gods from their prison."

Dax arched his brow. "Were you there, old man?"

"No, but my father was the one who had been tasked with hiding it," Balkin said, his eyes shimmering with the golden light commonly seen when Beastpeople experienced a strong emotion.

Sabine lowered her wineglass and placed it on the table. "That's why you brought me here. You knew the chalice had been safe here for centuries, so you believed I would be safe here too."

"You are as much a treasure as the chalice," Balkin said gently.

Sabine blinked away tears. "I've missed you, Balkin."

"As I have missed you, my darling kitten."

Dax drummed his fingers on the table. "I'll rescind the deal made with the dragon. I have no intention of allowing this item to fall into their hands. They may intend to organize a sneak attack and attempt to eliminate the gods for good this time."

"Malek claims the portal is already failing," Bane said with a shrug. "He's hunting the artifacts to ensure they can keep the portal sealed and to prevent another war."

Balkin's gaze sharpened on her. "I have heard whispers about the portal magic fading. What are your impressions of this dragon?"

Sabine hesitated and folded her hands in her lap. "I don't know. He's come to my aid more than once without attempting to make any undue demands. I want to believe him, but I don't know enough about dragons. Can they lie?"

"Not like humans," Balkin said, rubbing his chin in thought. "They can lie by omission or misdirection, much like the Fae. Perhaps he is a different sort than the dragons from legend. I will speak with this dragon of yours before I make a decision."

No one questioned Balkin about his right to determine the fate of the chalice. If it had been entrusted to Balkin's father and he'd been the one to hide it, Balkin was the rightful bearer of it.

Sabine nodded. "Malek should be arriving shortly. He claims to have some information about the other artifacts. He's going to bring it here so I can review it."

"He wants her help to locate the other items," Bane said with a scowl. "Among other things."

"No," Dax said firmly, crossing his arms over his chest. "She will do no such thing."

She arched her brow. Before she could remind Dax about the dangers of trying to subject her to his will, Balkin sprung from his chair and threw Dax against the wall. His claws were at the demon's throat before anyone could react.

"You dare speak to her that way," Balkin hissed, his words barely recognizable as his claws started to dig into Dax's neck. "She is a Faerie Royal, the last of her mother's line and direct descendant to the Unseelie throne. You will get on your knees and beg for her forgiveness, or I will rip out your throat."

Sabine slowly stood. "No, Balkin. Not here. We're in Dax's den, and he needs to retain his power here. You will not demand this from him."

"I will not permit him to treat you as less than you are," Balkin growled.

"Dax is not my enemy," she said gently, motioning for Bane to remain where he was and not get involved. Balkin was trying to protect her, and she was the only one he'd listen to. Sabine didn't know the entire history between Balkin and Dax, except the Beastman had saved the demon's life and brought him and Bane to the surface years before she'd fled her home. It was Balkin who'd helped establish the two brothers in the city, and both of them were somehow permanently tied to the Beastman. Or at least Dax was. She didn't know what hold, if any, Balkin had over Bane.

Walking over to the Beastman, Sabine placed her hand on his arm. "Dax and I have reached an understanding. I have conceded not to interfere in his den when he's present, and he has agreed to respect my boundaries. We have been able to coexist only because we both agreed to these terms. He does not make decisions for me, but I do respect his opinion—as I do yours. You chose well when you named him my protector."

The reminder Balkin had been the one to form the pact between them was enough to encourage him to retract his claws. He released Dax but didn't move away. Dax crumpled to the ground, blinking rapidly as he tried to fight off the effects from Balkin's poisoned claws.

Sabine pulled out her knife and pricked her finger, allowing her blood to well to the surface. She bent down, offering her blood to Dax. He wrapped his hand around her wrist eagerly, pulling her hand closer and accepting her gift. Balkin's claws weren't poisonous to her or to any of the Fae, and her blood was also an antidote.

"You would reward him for his insolence?" Balkin muttered in disgust. "He would not have died from so little poison, but perhaps he might learn a lesson."

"No, it wouldn't kill him," she agreed and stood, watching as Dax shook off the lingering effects. "Dax is stronger than that. But I will not have my protector weakened when I need him at full strength. You taught me that, Balkin. I remember your lessons."

"Very well." Balkin frowned and glared at Dax who was still on the ground. "You will remember your life is a gift only because my mistress wills it."

"Understood," Dax said, pushing up from the floor.

Sabine hooked her arm through Balkin's and led him back to the table and away from Dax. Even on the best of days, Dax had a way of getting under people's skin.

"I'm pleased to see you again, but I wish it were under better circumstances. The message you sent to Dax was vague. Will you tell me about the seer's vision that brought you here?"

He patted her hand idly. "Usagi is very old. She spends much of her time in dreams, rarely awakening. When she does, her confusion makes it difficult to separate her visions from reality. She came to me under the cover of darkness several days ago and told me of whispers from the spirit world. I came to you immediately."

A sense of foreboding fell over Sabine. Usagi was more than just old; she'd lived through the worst of the Dragon War and had seen the portal collapse. As one of the most ancient Elders, Usagi held a special place of honor amongst the Beastpeople. Even the Fae treated her with no small amount of respect. Usagi's visions had foretold the death of Sabine's mother, and any warnings from her needed to be taken seriously.

Sabine frowned. "What did she tell you?"

"She dreamed of a battle on stone streets. The moon fell into darkness. An ancient iron blade forged in dragonfire. Death. Plots within plots. A crossroads and a choice." Balkin paused, staring at the chalice still untouched on the table. "When she awakened from her vision, Usagi was more clearheaded than I have seen in a century. She urged me to find you with great haste, warning me you were in danger."

Sabine blanched. "She named me specifically?"

Balkin gave her a curt nod. "She spoke your name, Sabin'theoria. Twice the moon will be shrouded in darkness. The third time heralds the return of the Wild Hunt."

Bane stood and walked over to her, his frown deepening. "You've cloaked the moon twice now, haven't you, little one?"

Sabine managed to nod, thoroughly shaken. "Yes. The night I was ambushed, I hid the moon and was forced to pull power through the ground to escape. The second was the night we stole the chalice. I lost my glamour that night when I broke the lich ward. I wasn't shielded either time." She muttered a curse at her carelessness. She'd known it was a risk both times, but her options had been limited. "My father must have sensed my magic. Either that, or he still has people searching for me."

"Your father will never stop hunting you," Balkin said, his tone sharp and biting. "As long as you are alive, you will remain a threat to your father and brother. Do not grow so accustomed to pretending to be human you forget yourself and the danger surrounding you."

Sabine looked away and didn't respond. It was impossible to forget she wasn't one of them, but it wasn't as difficult to slide into the role of pretending to be human anymore. She'd blurred the lines for so long that wearing the glamour had become second nature. The most challenging aspect had been tempering her magic and relying upon it less.

She may have stunted her magical growth, but she'd enriched herself in other ways and strengthened some of her lesser talents. She'd always been mediocre with weapons, but Dax and Bane had insisted upon daily training for years. Now she was as competent with a blade as she was with her magic, but still lacking in both compared to many of her enemies.

"How can we stop the Wild Hunt?" Dax approached the table and kept a respectful distance from Balkin. He appeared fully recovered from the poison, but he likely wasn't willing to risk angering the Beastman a second time.

Sabine shook her head, remembering the terrible stories she'd heard as a child. The Wild Hunt was the Fae's most terrible and fearsome enforcer. The sacrifice to summon it was costly, and only the target's death would stop it. "You can't. It can only be Called with blood and magic, and once unleashed, it will not stop until the contract has been fulfilled."

Balkin was quiet for a long time. "It can be stopped if the summoner falls."

Sabine squeezed her eyes shut. It all came back to her brother's death. Even if she agreed to mark both demons and allowed them to go after Rhys, she wasn't sure they would make it past the Silver Forest. It wasn't just the trees that protected the heart of Faerie. Major magic would be required to encourage the forest to accept a demonic presence, and the Fae would be alerted the moment she lowered her protections.

Part of her still desperately wanted to believe Rhys hadn't been the one to demand her death. As long as there was a chance, she wasn't willing to agree to end his life. She wasn't sure she could do it even if he truly wanted her dead. He was still her brother.

A knock on the door interrupted them, and Dax frowned. "That must be Esme."

He walked over to the door and flung it open. Esmelle breezed into the room, patting Dax's cheek affectionately as she moved past him in a swirl of colorful skirts. In her other arm, she carried a small flowering pot filled with lavender. Dax's eye twitched in irritation, but he slammed the door shut and muttered something under his breath about stinky plants.

Blossom darted out from the plant, spotted Sabine, and dove into her hair. The tiny pixie pressed up against her neck, getting as close as possible and whispered loudly, "He's a dragon, Sabine! Your ship captain is a dragon! Esme says so!"

Sabine's mouth twitched in a smile, and she arched her brow at Esmelle. "Indeed. It might have been helpful to know that a little earlier."

The witch shrugged. "Malek made us promise not to tell you, but I didn't make any such promise about keeping it from the pixies. Blossom volunteered to share the news, so I brought her here."

"Tricky witch," Bane said with something that looked like approval in his eyes. "You knew the pixies would tell her the truth and you could get around the agreement. We planned something similar but shared our information with Balkin."

"Looks like I'm not the only tricky one," Esmelle said with a grin and winked at him. Turning back to Sabine, she added, "The other pixies were terrified Dax or Bane might eat them if they came here, but Blossom said she'd be safe. You wouldn't allow anyone to eat her."

"Esme's right. I won't allow you to be eaten," Sabine said, more for Dax and Bane's benefit than for Blossom.

Pixies possessed powerful nature magic and were considered delicacies by most demons. Since they didn't have the same offensive abilities as the Fae, demons had been known to eat entire pixie clans as a snack before lunch. She didn't think they would eat Blossom, but it was better to keep them separate. Just in case.

Dax snorted and finished pouring himself a drink. "A pity. It's been a while since I tasted pixie."

Blossom squeaked and covered herself with Sabine's hair. Sabine sighed and reached up to send a trace of reassuring magic over Blossom, knowing Dax was just poking fun at her.

Balkin studied the pixie. "How did the pixies manage to find you in the city? Their kind don't usually leave the forests."

"Her magic called to us," Blossom said from her perch on Sabine's shoulder. "She summoned another pixie clan too. They arrived a couple of days ago, but they haven't met Sabine yet." In a quieter voice meant for Sabine's ears alone, Blossom added, "I don't think they're worthy of your magic. They tried harvesting flowers before the moon was in alignment. If they do, it'll upset the balance of the garden and kill the flowers. My sisters want to chase them off."

Sabine froze as the hidden meaning in Blossom's words registered. It was one more reference to the moon and death, presumably hers. Whatever news the pixie clan had to share didn't bode well for her. "I see. That's... unfortunate. It sounds as though I'll need to have a talk with these pixies soon."

"Keeping them with you is risky, my darling kitten. Pixies are not always trustworthy. Many are spies."

Blossom bristled at Balkin's words. "I would never betray Sabine. She protects us."

Esmelle took a seat in an empty chair and arranged her skirt around her. "I have to agree with Blossom, Balkin. They've been living in my garden for years. They're all enamored with Sabine. They won't betray her."

Sabine sighed and sat in the chair again. A faint trace of pixie magic floated over her as Blossom smoothed out her hair and started braiding it. At least the task would keep the pixie calm and busy for a while until Sabine got her back to the garden.

Focusing again on Balkin, she said, "Dax and Bane help quite a bit, but it's still not easy being surrounded by stone, metal, and dead wood. Blossom and her family help mitigate the negative effects of living in the city. I trust them."

Blossom trilled happily at Sabine's words and continued braiding. Balkin frowned, but he didn't dispute her words.

Esmelle cocked her head, studying the artifact on the table. "So that's the chalice, huh? It's prettier than I expected, especially with all that magic swirling around it. What are you going to do with it?"

Balkin's eyebrows rose. "You can see the magic, little witch?"

Esmelle grinned and leaned forward in her chair. "Oh, Balkin. I've missed having you around, you stuffy old Beastman. Yes, I can see most magic. It's a fairly new ability, and I'm still learning my way around it. Sabine's been helping me. The colors surrounding the chalice are almost identical to Sabine's power. Well, when she's not hiding behind layers and layers of glamour."

"You have grown more skilled." Balkin walked over and patted Esmelle on the head as though she were a small child.

Sabine bit back a smile at Esmelle's nonplussed expression. Balkin thought highly of Esmelle and her abilities, but he tended to treat everyone like children. Granted, part of that was probably because they were little more than toddlers compared to him. But Esmelle was a witch in her prime. Even though she'd live an extended life beyond most mundane humans, she wouldn't be as long-lived as other magical races.

Other than Malek, only the people in this room had seen her without glamour. Esme had been instrumental in helping Sabine adjust her illusion to appear more human. The witch was the first human Sabine had ever met, which was part of the reason Balkin had enlisted her aid. Those first lessons in sloughing off her Fae mannerisms and becoming proficient in the common tongue had been mostly handled by Esme. In exchange, Sabine had agreed to teach the witch additional magic.

Balkin continued walking around the table to Sabine. "To answer your question, I have not yet decided what I shall do with the chalice." He paused, placing his hand on Sabine's shoulder and squeezed gently. "Despite our efforts, I am afraid none of my treasures may be safe here in the city. I will not risk losing either of them."

Bane and Dax tensed at his words. Sabine lowered her gaze and took a steadying breath, suspecting Balkin was right. The thought of leaving the people she'd grown to care so much about caused her heart to stutter in her chest. But staying would endanger all of them. If—no, when—the Wild Hunt made their appearance, casualties were considered acceptable as long as the Hunt fulfilled its purpose. Humans, especially the defenseless children in Akros, wouldn't stand a chance.

Esmelle frowned. "We can fight it, can't we? If we all stand together, we should be able to protect Sabine. She escaped from it once before."

"That was different," Sabine admitted and picked up her glass of wine. "The Hunt was once formed from Unseelie magic. Over time, it developed its own awareness and changed. The magic has become wild, not something controlled by the Fae."

Sabine took a sip of her wine, absorbing the magic within it and infusing it with hers. The unpleasant thoughts in her head made the wine taste like ash. Setting it aside, she folded her hands in her lap again and continued, "After my mother died, the Wild Hunt came for me with the intention of returning me to Faerie so I might take the Unseelie throne. That was one of its original purposes, to determine the right of succession. Balkin managed to turn it away with an oath to the Huntsman that I would return one day and take my rightful place. If I return to Faerie now, I won't survive it. My father will see me dead, and I don't believe I'm strong enough yet to stand against him."

"Oh," Esmelle muttered, and her shoulders slumped. "Well, drat. What are our options? Should we make plans to take Sabine away from the city?"

Sabine studied her hands, wishing there were a clear solution. "I don't know if leaving and hiding elsewhere is a viable option. I've never heard of anyone being able to outrun the Wild Hunt, and I won't risk allowing anyone here to stand beside me when it comes. I'm not sure what can be done."

Bane scowled. "Absolutely not. Sabine, do not even think about sacrifi—"

At Balkin's threatening growl, Sabine held Bane's gaze and shook her head in warning. The demon glanced over at Balkin, his eyes flashing to silver briefly. Bane wasn't happy at her request for silence, but she didn't want another confrontation with Balkin. Even if the Beastman could be a little overbearing at times, he had more experience in these matters than any of them. While she might rely upon and trust Dax and Bane, Balkin didn't have the same sort of relationship with them. She needed Balkin's help. He'd managed to keep her alive this long. Hopefully, he might have some insight into how she could escape from this mess.

Someone knocked on the door, and Dax pushed away from the table. He strolled over to the door, opened it a crack, and snapped, "I told you no interruptions. The next person who knocks on this door will have their head removed from their shoulders."

The slightest trace of hesitation colored Javyn's words as he said, "A-apologies, Dax. I know you don't wish to be disturbed, but the ship captain has returned. He claims Sabine is expecting him."

"Fine. Send him in," Dax said with disgust and turned away, prowling over to the far side of the room where he kept a selection of liquor. "I should have killed the ship captain when he first arrived."

Javyn stepped aside, allowing Malek to enter the room, and then closed the door behind him. If Malek had heard Dax's remark, he chose not to comment. Instead, Malek paused, taking in the room's occupants before his gaze fell on Sabine. His expression softened, and a trace of lingering regret filled his eyes. In that moment, Sabine knew she'd been right about trusting him, despite the secrets they'd kept from each other.

Balkin moved to stand beside her, drawing Malek's attention. Malek gave the Beastman a small nod in greeting, acknowledging his presence but nothing more. If they'd been in a formal Faerie court setting, such a move would have been expected. The fact Malek had known the proper greeting to one of the Beastpeople was surprising and disconcerting. But nothing much should surprise her anymore when it came to Malek. The self-proclaimed ship captain had proven to be skilled at adapting no matter the circumstances.

Before Sabine could address him or introduce Balkin, Blossom abandoned her braiding and darted out from her hair. The tiny pixie fluttered around Malek, inspecting him from various angles. "Are you really a dragon? I heard they smell like burned leaves, but you don't. And where's your tail? Dragons are supposed to have a tail. Big teeth too. And fire magic. Right?"

A laugh bubbled out of Esmelle. Malek glanced over at Sabine and arched his eyebrow. The deviation from protocol eased the worst of the tension in the room.

Sabine's mouth twitched in a smile. "He's really a dragon, Blossom. The warding medallion around his neck is still active. Maybe you can convince him to take it off later." She gestured to Balkin, who was still in a defensive position beside her and too well-trained to relax over a pixie's wayward comments. "Malek, I'd like you to meet Balkin, my blood-bonded guardian. I believe you already know everyone else."

Malek studied Balkin for a long time and dipped his head even lower, a sign of deep respect. "Well met, Balkin. It's an honor to meet one of the Beastpeople."

A heavy pause filled the room. Balkin prowled around the table toward Malek. "So you're the dragon wanting to get his hands on the artifacts used to seal the portal? And you want to use my mistress to do so?"

Sabine remained still, curious how Malek would handle Balkin's questions.

"I am, but only if she is willing," Malek agreed and glanced at Sabine again. He gestured to the small wooden box under his arm. "I brought some of my notes detailing my search. It's my hope Sabine will consent to aid me in my hunt for the missing artifacts. If not, I will continue my search elsewhere. I mean her no harm, regardless of her decision."

Balkin's pelt shifted, smoothing over in the way it did when he eased out of fight mode. It could change instantly, but Malek's comments had in some small way reassured Balkin. The Beastman didn't trust easily, but he was at least willing to hear Malek out. Sabine nodded at Balkin, and he gestured for Malek to place the box on the table.

The box itself was rather unremarkable, but it appeared to have been carved from one solid piece of wood. Runed symbols of protection had been etched into silver locks, the only ornamentation on the container. Malek unfastened the locking mechanism and slid it open. Curious, Sabine walked over to the box and watched as Malek withdrew a large stack of parchment. Her eyes widened in surprise. He'd obviously dedicated a significant amount of time to this endeavor.

Blossom darted back over to Sabine's shoulder and under her hair. Sabine ignored her giggles and the light tugging as the pixie started braiding her hair again. Malek spread out his notes on the table.

"I've brought most of my research, including information acquired by some of my family members over the years. When we first realized the portal was failing, we believed the Fae or the gods themselves had found a way to deactivate it. We've spent years trying to identify and search for the artifacts used in the original workings to seal it."

Sabine picked up one of the loose parchment pieces. It was a sketch of a chalice that bore a striking resemblance to the one currently sitting on the table. "How did you come to learn about this one?"

Malek studied the drawing she held. "When I was a child, my grandmother told me the story about the portal. She saw the chalice once, before it was passed along to the cupbearer to hide. The sketch was made by her hand, years before we realized the portal was becoming active once again. I found the sketch in her belongings after she left this world."

Sabine nodded, staring at the drawing again. The flowing signature at the bottom caught her attention. She didn't recognize the clan name, but the name Elis'andreia was definitely Fae in origin.

Balkin rifled through the papers, skimming over each one briefly before he moved on to the next. He looked at the sketch in Sabine's hand and growled low in his throat. "I recognize that name. It was believed Elis'andreia was killed in a skirmish with the dragons after the portal was closed. You claim she was living in the Sky Cities?"

Malek nodded. "She was captured but later freed. The story I heard was she'd been injured by an iron blade and left for dead. My grandfather found her after the battle had been won. He was so enamored with her beauty, he brought her back to the Sky Cities and offered a boon to any healer who managed to save her life."

Sabine looked up at Malek in surprise. Any wounds made from an iron weapon usually acted like a lethal poison to a Fae, moving throughout their bloodstream and cutting off their ties to their magic. Iron wasn't native to this world, but the dragons had found a way to bring the rocks from the heavens and through the portal. When combined with dragonfire, these meteorites could be crafted into iron weapons.

"Did she recover fully?"

He smiled down at her and nodded. "Yes. It took a great number of healers and many years before she regained her strength. While she was recovering, my grandfather visited her often. At first, she didn't want anything to do with him. He started bringing her gifts, hoping her feelings toward him would eventually change."

"A dragon parting with their hoard?" Dax scoffed in disbelief and walked to the sidebar to pour himself another drink.

Esmelle wrinkled her nose at Dax. "You're one to talk. How many gifts have you given to Sabine after you've made her angry?"

Ignoring Dax's scowl, Sabine asked, "Was that enough for her feelings to change?"

Malek glanced down at her hand on his arm, and his gaze softened. She hadn't realized she'd reached out to him. "No. She still didn't want anything to do with him. He purchased gifts from merchants who had traveled to the farthest reaches of the world. He offered Elisa jewels, gold, silks, paintings, anything and everything you could imagine. She refused all of them."

Esmelle rested her head in her hands. "So what finally changed her mind?"

"A flower."

Sabine blinked up at him in surprise. "She missed her home, and he offered her a piece of it."

"Yes," he agreed, reaching up to adjust one of the lavender flowers Blossom had tucked into her braids. "He loved her too much to force her to remain in the Sky Cities. So he went to her one last time with nothing more than a flower from the Silver Forest and an offer of freedom. He told her he would arrange for safe passage back to Faerie, if she wanted to return. And if not, he said his ship would take her anywhere in the world if she wanted to travel."

"But she didn't want to go. She'd fallen in love with him too," Sabine guessed, wondering how she would have handled it if she'd been in the same position. Leaving Faerie had changed Sabine so much she wasn't sure how she would adapt when the time came for her to return. She'd seen and done too much to fall back easily into that way of life, even if part of her desperately missed it.

Malek nodded. "Elisa used her magic on the flower, making it grow and designing an entire garden in tribute to it. That garden thrived for the rest of her life and was a constant source of enjoyment for our family. My grandfather frequently kept an eye out for more plants from the Silver Forest, and Elisa added them to her garden."

"That's how the pixies found her, isn't it?" Sabine asked, recalling pieces of the story Malek had already shared.

"I believe so. One day, they just appeared in her garden, and my grandmother was thrilled. She used to say she had her very own piece of Faerie right in the Sky Cities."

Bane arched his brow. "A charming yet somewhat sentimental tale. I've heard other much more believable stories about dragons and their Fae captives, not to mention the ugly reality of everything that entailed. It's unlikely he would have allowed her to leave."

Sabine paused and pulled her hand away from Malek in acknowledgment of Bane's warning. "You don't believe he could have charmed her?"

"Anything is possible," Bane admitted, picking up her wine and bringing it over to where Sabine stood. "But this story is one that was probably told to an impressionable child—a child who would have wanted to believe in the romance of the tale, rather than the harsh truth about his family or how a Fae captive could have been brutalized in the hands of the dragons."

Unsettled at the thought, Sabine accepted the wine from him and took a sip, the memory of Fae magic sharp on her tongue. She replayed the story Malek had just shared in her mind. Perhaps Bane was right; truth was often written by the victors, and it probably wasn't as romantic as Malek's story suggested. But maybe there was an element of truth somewhere.

Malek looked down at Sabine. "I wasn't there, so I can only share with you what I've heard. That was the version of the story my grandmother told me. One day, I asked her if she missed her home and wanted to go back. She told me she didn't. My grandfather had even offered to send word to her family, letting them know she was alive and well, but she refused. She didn't think they would understand her decision to stay. It was better, she said, for them to think she had perished during the battle."

"Elis'andreia was correct," Balkin said, putting the parchment he'd been reviewing back in the box. "I did not know her personally, but I heard stories. Elis'andreia was skilled in nature magic and was able to communicate directly with the Silver Trees. It was by her blood and magic that one of the strongest rings of protective trees was grown and became sentient in the Silver Forest. They were her children. When the trees attacked the invading dragons, the dragons burned that area of the forest to the ground."

Sabine shook her head, her heart breaking for the loss of the forest. "I've never understood why they attacked the trees. They're only part of Faerie's defense, not designed for an offensive attack."

Balkin patted her shoulder in understanding. "It was a different time, my darling kitten. The magic of this world was being used by the gods to battle the dragons in the heavens, and very little was leftover for the creatures here trying to defend the world. The Fae were dying at an alarming rate and this world along with them. They needed the Silver Forest and the Beastpeople to help protect them from extinction."

"I think I'm missing something," Esmelle said with a frown. "Why would the dragons have focused on the Fae and the Silver Forest? It's such a small piece of territory. I thought their war was with the gods."

Sabine gave her a sad smile, recalling the lessons from her youth. "It was, but the Fae have always been the caretakers of this world. We were gifted with the magic of the gods, and as we nurtured this world, our power grew, as did that of the gods. Once, at the height of our power, the Silver Forests covered much of this continent and far beyond it. But as Balkin mentioned, the trees weren't always sentient. That was done out of necessity after the dragons began targeting our people to try to diminish the power of the gods. My people were forced to withdraw to a very small and more defensible position. There, they have remained—nurturing the heart of Faerie."

"A lot of the pixie clans died too," Blossom said as she darted over to grab another bunch of lavender flowers. She buried her nose in the petals and added, "When the forests and flowers died, we didn't have anywhere to go. Nothing would grow in the sand or without the Fae to give life to the soil. It was the Starving Times. We remember."

At the sight of Blossom's distress, Sabine held out her hand. Blossom landed on her palm, and Sabine sent a light wave of reassuring magic over the tiny pixie. It wasn't just the Fae who had suffered during the war. The effects had spread far and wide, blanketing large portions of the world and rendering some areas mostly barren. Even after the portal had been closed, the Fae were reluctant to venture far from Faerie. It was too dangerous, and their numbers were too few. The world had suffered as a result.

"I haven't heard it referred to as the Starving Times for many years. The pixie's correct though. That was why the demons and dwarves made an alliance with the Unseelie Fae," Bane said, reaching over to refill Sabine's wine glass. "We embraced their darker magics and allowed them refuge in our underground cities. The Unseelie were generous in sharing their magic with us, while the pretentious Seelie got a sunburn." He gave her a mocking courtly bow usually only seen in Faerie. "Unless they're called Sabine and deign to bring us into the light along with her."

Sabine's mouth twitched in a hint of a smile, and she shook her head in exasperation. "Behave."

Malek's brow furrowed. "I haven't heard most of this. I admit, information can be somewhat skewed depending on the source. My grandmother rarely spoke about the time she spent living with the Fae. She said it was too painful to remember."

Dax sneered. "Convenient you only remember the sentimental and romantic parts of the story, especially given your desire for Sabine to assist you." He put his mug on the table with a clank and gestured to Sabine. "Regardless of what you claim, your presence here and knowing Sabine's identity puts her in danger. And that, I will not tolerate."

Malek arched his brow. "No more a danger than consorting with demons."

Dax slapped his hand to his weapon. Sabine tensed and started to intervene, but Balkin moved in front of Dax.

"Enough," Balkin said, a trace of a growl in his voice. "I will speak with this dragon in private. Dax, you will escort the witch, the pixie, and your brother elsewhere until my business is concluded."

Dax's eyes flared to silver as he studied Malek. A wicked smile curved the corners of his mouth as though pleased at what Balkin's request might mean for the ship captain. Sabine frowned, but Malek didn't seem concerned. She didn't know why Balkin wanted to speak with him alone, nor did she know Malek well enough to be confident he wouldn't offend the Beastman. Even if she was still unsure about Malek, she didn't want him harmed.

Esmelle hesitated, glancing back and forth between them. Finally, she shrugged. "Right. I'm thinking this probably isn't the best place to be right now. Blossom, you want to come with me?"

Sabine nodded at the pixie. Blossom smiled shyly and dove back under the cover of the lavender plant. Esmelle picked up the pot and said, "We'll wait for you in the kitchen. I think Martha might have some honey cakes for Blossom."

Blossom trilled happily as Esmelle headed out of the room. Dax started to follow but paused, arching his brow at Bane who hadn't moved. Bane returned his wordless stare with a meaningful look. Dax chuckled and gave him a curt nod before heading for the door. Sabine frowned. It had been several years since they'd engaged in their wordless communication, and it usually indicated impending trouble.

"I don't follow your orders, Beastman," Bane said, crossing his arms over his chest. "My agreement is only with Sabine. If she stays, I will remain with her."

Sabine hesitated, glancing back and forth between Balkin and Bane. This had the potential to be very bad. Bane was usually much more levelheaded and controlled about things, but he was acting more like Dax. It wasn't entirely within his character.

Balkin narrowed his eyes on the demon. "You believe I'm not capable of protecting the daughter of my heart?"

"I believe your absence has affected her more than you want to admit. You left her here in this city and did not think she would form equally strong bonds with those who stayed by her side?"

"Bane," Sabine said quietly and placed her hand on his heated arm. Bane might be trying to protect her, but not at the expense of hurting Balkin. "Don't do this. I will not have you at odds with each other."

Bane placed his hand over hers, holding her to him. He leaned down and brushed his nose against hers. "I told you there would be consequences of your Calling, little one. You have trusted me with your safety not once, but more than thrice. I will not step aside and allow anyone to send me away from you, unless you request it or accompany me."

"Your demon is within his rights," Balkin said before she could argue with Bane or tell him to leave. Surprised, Sabine turned to face the Beastman who had protected her most of her life.

He walked over to her and pressed a kiss against her forehead. "It is difficult for me to relinquish control over your safety to another, but you have done what is necessary to survive here. I was unsure you would ever willingly gift a mark to either Dax or Bane, which was why I bound Dax to you. But your mark on Bane's skin indicates he's earned the right to be at your side."

Sabine fell silent, a sliver of suspicion entering her mind. Bane wasn't usually so overbearing, and Balkin could be sneaky when it suited him. Something else was going on under the surface.

Taking Balkin's clawed hands in hers, Sabine said, "You will always be my guardian, Balkin. Yours was the first face I remember, your claws protecting and caring for me. I trust you with my life, and that will never change. But I'm getting the impression you and Bane are purposely picking a fight with each other. Are you trying to manipulate me so I'll leave too?"

Balkin's gaze softened, his lips curving in a smile that showed a hint of his fangs. "For generations, I have served your family out of respect and duty, placing their protection and welfare above my own. From the moment you were first placed in my arms, I also began to serve out of love. I would ask, my darling kitten and child of my heart, that you allow me a moment of privacy with this dragon."

She turned toward Malek, who watched them with no small measure of curiosity. He didn't seem troubled or concerned over Balkin's request to speak with him privately, and she didn't have the impression Balkin meant him any harm.

After a long interval, she nodded and kissed Balkin's cheek. In the language of her birth, she said, "You will always be the father of my heart as well, Balkin Lioneyes."

His eyes filled with unspoken emotion, and he gave her a curt nod as she turned away. Taking Bane's arm, she headed out of the room. Bane closed the door behind them and led her down the hallway in the direction of the kitchen.

"I will not apologize for what I said to him," Bane said in a low voice.

"I didn't expect you would, but either one of you could have asked me to go," Sabine said with a sigh, her thoughts considering different possibilities about why Balkin wanted to speak with Malek.

Balkin couldn't order her to leave, since her rank surpassed his. The Beastpeople and even most of the Fae were sticklers for protocol and social niceties. Her experiences in Akros had stripped her of much of that. The learning curve upon arrival in the city had been steep. She'd been more than a little arrogant and self-assured. Dax and Bane had both delighted in teaching her the errors of her ways.

"You don't need to worry. He won't kill the dragon."

Sabine paused, turning to look up at Bane. "Then I was right about that being a ruse to get rid of me. Do you know why he wanted to speak with Malek alone?"

Bane inclined his head and continued walking. She glared at his retreating figure, knowing he was purposely being difficult so she would follow him.

Bane glanced at her over his shoulder with a teasing grin on his face. "You coming?"

"At least Balkin tries to give me the illusion he's listening to me," she grumbled but continued down the hall.

He slowed his footsteps until she caught up. "You've always known who and what I am, little one. If you strongly objected to our desire to give Balkin privacy with the dragon, you never would have agreed to leave that room."

She shrugged. "You think I'm foolish for wanting to trust Malek, don't you?"

Bane hesitated. "Not foolish, but it's not wise either. I know you miss your own kind, Sabine. The issues between Dax and myself have only made things more difficult for you. Malek possesses powerful magic, and he knows some of the truth about you. I imagine that's very appealing."

Sabine didn't answer right away. Bane had always had a talent for cutting to the heart of the matter, a trait that had proven to make him an effective assassin. And one that was annoying in every other situation.

"You believe I'm looking to him as a possible replacement for what I've lost?"

"Haven't you?" he asked mildly, putting his hand on her back and leading her down the hall. "If you were still living amongst your people and surrounded by their magic, would you even consider opening your heart and memories to a dragon? Or a demon, for that matter?"

When she frowned, Bane continued, "You've marked both of us, little one. While mine is permanent, you've made repeated efforts to reapply Malek's marker. I've never known you to leave an unclaimed mark in place for so long, especially one that's most likely trivial in nature. You want that connection with him. That small trace of his magic filtering through your mark reminds you of home."

Sabine stopped walking and squeezed her eyes shut as his words crashed over her. "How long have you known?"

"I suspected when I drank of your shared wine," he said quietly. "It was confirmed when Dax told me how often you'd been reapplying Malek's debt marker. What agreement does it represent?"

Sabine blew out a breath, somewhat surprised Dax hadn't killed Malek when he'd learned what she'd done. "Nothing more than an intent to share dinner. I tried to tell myself I wanted to protect him from Dax. That was only part of the truth." Sabine lowered her gaze to stare at the cold, stone floor. "You're right. About all of it. Malek reminded me of everything I've lost. The first words he spoke to me were in Fae and in an oath of no harm. It was as though he recognized me, even with the glamour."

Bane tipped her chin back so he could look into her eyes. "I know neither Dax nor I can give you what you truly need. We speak to the Unseelie magic in your heart, and that's only one aspect to you. I won't pretend to understand the rest of your desires, but I don't know if a dragon can either."

Sabine wrapped her hand around Bane's wrist. "You told Balkin everything, didn't you? That's why he wanted to speak to Malek alone?"

"If we cannot find an outlet for your Seelie magic, I fear we may lose you," Bane admitted, resting his forehead against hers. "Your powers hadn't fully developed when you left Faerie. Both aspects of your magic are still growing and evolving, and we don't have an Elder who can help harness your abilities by etching your skin. The pixies and Esmelle's garden are no longer enough to sustain you."

She frowned, unsure if the tattooed marks on her skin would be enough at this point. She could only pour so much of her magic into Esme's garden before people started to notice. Magic needed an outlet, and she'd been pretending to be human and repressing hers for far too long. "Balkin believes Malek might be able to temper my Seelie magic?"

Bane sighed. "I'm still of the mind the only tolerable dragon is a dead one. Dax agrees with that sentiment, but Balkin was intrigued by the possibility, especially when he learned how Malek was able to revive you with dragonfire. I suspect that's partly how Elis'andreia was able to remain living in the Sky Cities for so long."

Sabine's eyes widened, and she glanced back down the hallway. "Malek's grandmother would have been Seelie. The ability to grow or bring the Silver Trees to awareness is Seelie magic."

"Indeed," Bane said quietly, putting his hand on her back again to lead her away. "Even if Malek can help offset the effects and hide you from the Fae, you must never forget his true identity. Bind him to you, if you must. But tread carefully, little one. I will see him dead and broken before I allow him to steal you away to the Sky Cities and out of our reach forever. On that, we're all in agreement."

1