I’m not after your money!
67 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The man was slouched over the bar an empty glass pint laid on its side. His black hair was an unkempt mess paired with more blue-grey eyes matching his half-tucked dress shirt, completed with an unidentifiable watch and loose black tie.

"Felix, another round!" He didn't lift his head leaving it buried in his arms. He was in decent shape with no eye-catching features.

"You've had four rounds tonight. I've cut you off!" The bartender replied cleaning the discarded pint.

"How much extra? 100? 200? 300?" He stretched his arms and his head rested against the wooden bar.

"2,000," The number seemed rhetorical but the man pulled out his wallet and lazily held out a black card, Aster Holland embossed in gold across the face.

Felix only shook his head in response to the drunkard before taking the card.

Aster lifted his head and observed everyone else in the bar with a blank stare. Most occupants were an inversion of himself, bellowing with laughs that threatened to drown out the music that was heard by outside passersby. At the door hung a sign, "Whoever lasts the longest out on the dance floor will get free drinks for a month."

The man was dragged away from his observations at the sound of the beer being placed next to him. "Thanks." Without hesitation, Aster chugged half with foam sliding down his chin.

"Might as well robbed you blind at charging two grand for the pint." A girl walked up beside him asked. She clung to his side, her sickly white skin shining in the low-lit tavern. Her clothes were skimpy showing off plenty of skin that would make most drunks woozy. Partnered with the alluring figure her face was masked in heavy make-up. In this light, it wasn't obvious besides the slight shimmer on her cheeks.

"Huh? You must have the wrong guy. I've been drinking the cheapest alcohol all night. Right Felix?" His tone was void of interest as he took up his pint once more. 

"This man is a helpless alcoholic every cent is spent drinking. If you have a dollar to spend, put it towards alcohol; would be his motto." Felix responded having just finished a cocktail for a different lady.

"Bummer. I'll take a sex and the city." The lady ordered and returned to the dance floor to meet up with her friends.

"How many is that now?" Felix questioned, he had long since lost count.

"Today?"

"This week."

"Today Friday?"

"Thursday, still."

"Likely in the 30s then."

Felix broke out in laughter, "First time you haven't had an exact answer since I've met you Aster."

"34." Aster finished his drink and slammed the glass on the counter.

"You did that on purpose!" Felix's laugh stopped immediately by Aster's reply. 

"Another round!" Aster ordered, completely ignoring him.

"No!"

"5 grand!" He exclaimed with his card and empty glass held out. From the stray disco lights, you could see Aster's collar was slightly darker with glossy lines down his neck. 

Felix was hesitant but caved, ringing up another pint. While waiting Aster absentmindedly stated, "With how much extra I've paid, I should have a plaque somewhere." His words began to slur as he talked. Felix heard this and didn't finish swiping the card before handing it back to Aster.

"You're actually done for tonight." Felix proceeded to fill a glass with water and hand it to Aster.

"Drink this, it will help." Felix offered before he moved to other customers. Aster only sighed and sipped the water. He stared at his black card with looks of sadness.

"Felix, am I good man?" Aster questioned, fiddling with the black card. His voice was weak barely audible over the environment. 

"You should call her." Felix responded preparing more drinks.

"No," His mellow voice deepened as the No hung in the air between the two.

"She is family Aster, you can't keep ignoring her forever."

"Felix, today is not the day for this."

Felix visibly sighs, "It never is with you. Aster, you want to know if you are a good man? Find someone worth being happy with."

Aster didn't respond he opened his mouth a few times but no words ever escaped. 

A short while later a feminine voice came up behind him, "Aster Holland, right?"

"How much money you want to not say that name again?" He replied, his body immediately straightened, and a wave of sobriety hit him.

"What makes you think I'm after money?" He turned in his stool to take in her appearance and was unsurprised at the outcome. She was remarkably beautiful, a black dress with a slit down the side, with a mediocre amount of make-up if any at all. Long dark hair and contrasting bright eyes. Her figure was best defined as something other women would die for. She was strangely familiar as well, he couldn't place it though.

"How much you want?" He was weary of the situation and it showed in his slow deep tone.

"I only want you to go out with me."

"Oh, you're after all of it. Bye."

"I'll just tell everyone here, who you are then. How many girls do you think will be dashing over then?" She threatened her lips curving into a smirk.

"Felix! I'm going to call it a night!" Aster called over before leaving a tip and proceeding out of the bar. He released a heavy sigh and followed behind him was that same lady.

"How much for you to stop following me?"

"I'm not after your money."

He paused and turned back to look at her, he was a solid head taller. His glossy greys locked down with her bright hazels, "You must be new to the area. You will see hundreds if not thousands of guys with similar if not better appearances than me. You mentioned me by name and that name is only known for one thing, Money."

"Fine! I want your money! Happy?" She was visibly angry at the turn of events.

"How many you need?" He asked not caring for her temperament. He turned away pulling out a crunched-up box of cigarettes from his pocket.

"I want to be your wife!" She proclaimed.

Aster was in shock and dropped his cigarette and lighter, "You want to what?! No! I don't even know you!" 

"I'm Lucina Rose, and I need to marry you." Her eyes were unwavering as she pulled on the hem of his shirt.

"Why should I marry you? What do I even get from this! You are beautiful, don't get me wrong here, but I'm not looking for a trophy wife. So again I reiterate how much money do you need?" He confessed unnerved by her assault.

"You'll just give me the money with nothing in return?" Her eyes went wide, as his narrowed, a nagging voice reminding him this girl is no different.

"Yes, now how much is it?"

She shook her head, "No,"

"What do you mean, no? Just say however much it is so we can both be on our ways."

"I need you to marry me, I can't take your money without giving something back."

"It seems we are at an impasse, I don't want to marry you. I don't want to get married, end of story."

The two went silent for a while but Lucina did not release her grip.

"Use me to make sure no one else tries to then. We get married in name, I get money and you get bothered less by gold diggers."

"You're just after my money, right?" He once more questioned, trying to get a grip on the situation that had gotten too out of hand.

"Yes, I want your money." She answered her hardened eyes locked with his quiet lazy ones.

"Sure. Let's get married."

This was the first day, of a journey that would change their lives. Life was never dull when you have enough money to make it exciting. That is what they say at least; is it truly the money that matters though?

3