Chapter 15 – The Pugs
850 12 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sunrise. The sunbeams slowly light up Freya’s Chamber.

 

**slam**

 

Freya barged into her chamber. She couldn’t hide her frustration.

 

“Ughh! They were like cockroaches swarming around the castle.”

 

I silently listen to her as I investigate the shattered entity in front of me. Right now, we’re the only one here on the east side of the castle. Ever since I got these new markings around me, Freya no longer wants me to go anywhere besides her chamber. It seems this is my new home now, but I still managed to get out of here from time to time. Sooner or later, the inspectors will come here to see the current condition of each chamber.

 

“Stay away from that pest!”

 

She grabbed the pieces of the unknown entity and threw it out of the window. She gritted her teeth as she threw the last piece of it. I stood up and looked out of the window, and watched how it lost its way down to the bushes. When I turn away my gaze, she’s already glaring at me. She’s too overprotective.

 

“I’m so sorry, Freya-sama. I didn...”

 

My voice is partly muffled by the mask I’m wearing. They gave me a cool-looking mask, befitting of a demon slayer yet I look like a pathetic henchman when I’m with Freya.

 

“Tsk!”

 

She clicked her tongue and looked out of the window. Crossing her arms, she bit her lower lip and tapped her left foot several times with frustration. Her left hand won’t stop fidgeting, cracking her fingers one by one, single-handedly.

 

“Did this happen before?”

“No, Freya-sama. No one has ever managed to get here before.”

“Tsk… You incompetent fools.”

“I-I’m so sorry, Freya-sama. I’ll be sure to double our security next time.”

 

Whenever she speaks to me, she gives off a sense of authority and superiority. She dictates her words one by one like I’m some kind of an ignorant child. Luckily, she doesn’t discriminate, she does it to all of us here in the castle.

 

“Hmph! You can’t even protect your own people.”

 

She turned her back to me, but she suddenly stopped.

 

“Where are the two dark knights?”

“I’m sorry, Freya-sama, but I do not know either.”

 

She leaned just above my head.

 

“Well? You’re just going to stand there? Find them!”

 

She pointed her left hand at the door. I unconsciously shut my eyelids and stiffened my shoulders as her raging voice echoed through my ears.

 

“I-I-I will, Freya-sama.”

 

I trotted out of her room.

 

--

 

I ran around the castle, looking out for them. Even with the help of the knights, I wasn’t able to find them. No reports of any casualties, yet I still couldn’t find them. I’m starting to lose my mind as I see the two moons slowly rise up in the sky - It’s getting dark.

At the corridor, two knights trotted towards me, their armors clanged as they moved. One of them saluted before speaking.

 

“Princess-dono, we’ve already searched every room of the east side of the castle yet we still couldn’t find the missing dark knights.”

“...”

“Princess-dono?”

“Ah, yes… Thank you. You can rest now... I’ll report it back to Freya-sama.”

“Thank you, Princess-dono.”

 

They both saluted before leaving. I remained in the corridor gazing at the stars. Slowly, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as I felt the wind breeze brush up my hair. I looked at the horizon and watched every resident light up their homes.

Since I left the catacombs, a lot of things have happened to me. One after the other, it came after me. Deep within my heart, I sense that I’ve become the reason for all of these. I gripped the handrail as I remorse my decisions.

 

“Aniki, aren’t we supposed to show up in the middle of the night?”

“Did he say that? As far as I remember. He told us to come out when the two moons appear in the sky.”

“You’re right, Aniki. That’s what he said, but not exactly as you said.”

“What? Really?!”

“He told us to come out when the two moons reached their zenith.”

“And that means...?”

 

I heard someone arguing not far from me. I glanced at where it was coming from. I sense someone speaking just behind the corner. They’re having a conversation like they’re brothers. One of them acts like a little brother while the other acts like a tough guy.

 

“In the middle of the night.”

“What?! Why can’t he just tell us straight away?”

“I don’t know either, Aniki.”

“Ugh, he’s making our lives miserable already!”

 

When I finally managed to have some peaceful time, away from Freya, these two idiots immediately destroyed it, talking loudly in the corridor like they owned it. Annoyed, I let go of the handrail and began walking towards them.

 

“Shh! Someone’s coming, Aniki.”

 

At the corner of the corridor, two dark knights were standing in front of me. I was baffled. There was no one around here except for them. I’ve never heard a dark knight talk before. Am I... hallucinating?

 

“Did you just talk?”

 

I look up to them suspiciously. Yup, I-I’m... hallucinating. Was it because of these markings the Demon King gave to me, or I’ve already become delirious like Freya? No.. Maybe.. Maybe…

 

“No...”

 

One of them spoke, a muffled tough tone coming from the dark knight. Baffled, I looked up to him. 

 

“What?! I just heard you!”

“That’s it, Aniki. She already found out about us.”

 

The dark knight who just spoke clinged to his companion and began shaking him desperately.

 

“Aniki! We’re dead, I told you! We’re already dead! We have failed him!”

 

Is this real? I still don’t know if it’s real or not. I watch the two as they make a scene in front of me. The tough one calmly looks at me while the other one is agitated. I back away and quickly draw out my sword.

 

“You! Did you just destroy our dark knights and replaced them?”

“!! Aniki, she’s scaring me!”

 

He went behind his companion and shook his shoulder several times like before.

 

“You’re far scarier and taller than me!”

 

I shouted at them.

 

“Aniki, What should we do?! A red-eyed demon girl is glaring at us!”

 

The tough guy brushed off his little brother’s hands and faced his little brother, patting his shoulder.

 

“Don’t worry, It’s not our end yet.”

“What? How, Aniki?”

“Look, she’s alone.”

“What do you mean if she’s alone...? You mean..., beat her up?”

“No… No… No… We could act just like before.”

“But…”

“Look, she’s alone! No one would ever believe her!”

“I still don’t get it..”

“You see, if a pug suddenly talks to you, calling you an idiot, would they believe you if you told them about it?”

“!! Oooohhhh! I get it now, Aniki!”

“Ha! Too bad. I’m the princess.”

“!! Aniki!”

“Hahaha! Even better! Her title is useless anyway.”

 

The tough guy’s insult pierced my heart. I finally snapped and called some back up.

 

“Guards, there are intruders in here!”

“Aniki, what should we do?”

“Don’t worry, we’ll just keep silent and none will believe her.”

 

The tough guy reassured his little brother by patting his shoulder.

 

“Ha! Act all you want, you’ll be imprisoned for the rest of your lives.”

“...”

“...”

 

They didn’t talk back. They’re already trying to get their way out of this. I heard several men approaching us.

 

“Where! Where’s the intruder, Princess-dono?”

 

The knights look around the place. I pointed at the two dark knights.

 

“Them!”

“...”

“...”

 

The knights look at each other, confused. They look at me again.

 

“It’s them! They’re the intruders!”

“...”

“They destroyed our two missing dark knights and replaced them!”

“...”

 

The knights pursed their lips. Some of them are wondering if they should sheath their swords.

 

“Uhm… Princess-dono…”

“Yes?!”

 

My brows furrowed as I looked at them.

 

“You see. Those armors can’t be worn by an ordinary human. If they do, they’d collapse just before they could walk.” 

“You mean, you guys don’t believe me?”

 

A long silence followed. I look them in the eye, their eyes look away when I try to make eye contact.

 

“H-how about, we… we check what's behind their helmet?”

“Great idea, Knight-san.”

“T-thank you, Princess-dono.”

 

He slightly bowed his head at me.

 

“Why not give it a try, Knight-san? See it for yourself?”

 

His face went blue in an instant.

 

--

 

Hours later. The moon is about to reach its zenith. I’m currently at Freya’s Chamber, crying. Lying in Freya’s bed, I watched the two dark knights laughing at the corner just beside the window. The tough guy is sitting on the chair while the other is standing beside him.

 

“**sniff**”

“Hahahahahaha!”

 

The tough guy claps as he laughs. I hugged my knees and buried my face as I remembered how embarrassing I was.

 

“Aniki, I’m so sorry If I ever doubted you.”

“Hahahaha! It’s okay. Did you see how her own parents doubted her?”

“Yeah, Hahahahaha!”

 

When one of the knights removed their helmets, we only saw the head of a mannequin, nothing different than the rest of the dark knights. They even tap their heads to check if someone is really there, but it only makes a hollow sound.

I brought them to my parent’s room. My father believed me at first, but when the knights stripped them naked. There's only a muscular mannequin.

 

“Man, the look on their faces. Her mother just said, 『I think our daughter has become delirious』”

“Hahahahaha!”

“Then she smirked!”

““Hahahahaha!””

 

They look straight at me whenever they laugh. Soon after, The doorknob twitched. They went silent in an instant.

 

** kacha **

 

Freya entered the chamber. She looked around the room and caught one of them standing up. She furrowed her brows but she soon looked at me.

 

“What took you so long?”

“**sniff**”

“I’ve been looking out for you! Haven’t I told you before that you should be back here before sunset?!”

“I-I’m so sorry… Freya-sama.. **sniff**”

 

She walked closer to me.

 

“What’s this? Are you crying again!”

 

I took a pillow behind me and wept my tears.

 

“Ugh! Pathetic! Stop whining already before you sully Bell-sama’s body.”

 

Freya glanced at the two dark knights, they stiffened their bodies as they sensed her gaze.

 

“Did you order those two to mess up with my chair?”

 

She squeezed my cheeks and raised me up closer to her.

 

“Nyow…”

“Then, how the hell did they get there!”

“W-would nyou belief me ifp I told nyou?”

“Speak already!”

 

I closed my eyes as she glared at me.

 

“Thev ded it demselves!”

“Don’t fool me!”

“... Shee it por yourselv.”

“What?”

 

I dropped back to bed as she unclenched her hand.

 

“See it for yourself.”

“...”

“They are alive. They even talk.”

"Hmph!"

 

Her brows furrowed, she’s a bit confused. Slowly, she walks towards them. Each step of hers let out a **thud** sound on the ground. In front of them, she crossed her arms and stride to and fro. Her eyes are focused on them like an owl's eye. She suddenly stopped. Moving closer, she placed her hand on top of their helmet and threw it away in an instant.

Freya crossed her arms and leaned. She gazed at them with her expressionless face. The grandfather clock fills the silence.

 

** tick **

“...”

** tock **

“...”

** tick **

“...”

** tock **

“...”

** tick **

“...”

** tock **

“...”

** tick **

“...”

** tock **

“...”

 

She keeps on staring at them, switching her gaze every minute to the other. A staring contest that even I would certainly vouch for Freya. A solid one-hour match between the three of them has already passed. None of them moved except for Freya’s eyes.

Freya’s brows furrowed, she stood straight and fluffed her wings.

 

“I don’t think they’re alive at all.”

 

She said as she faced me. I pursed my lips and looked away with disappointment. Freya lost the match, I didn’t know someone could beat her. As Freya looked away, I caught a glimpse of them relaxing.

 

** swoosh **

 

In an instant, Freya faced them with her wide-open eyes, each pair of her wings pointed in their head like a spear. They stiffened their body, but it was already too late. Freya already saw them moving, something a dark knight would never do.

 

“Run!”

 

Said the tough guy.

 

“You!”

 

They both dodge Freya’s wings, yet she managed to scrape them. The tough guy rolled back and threw the chair at her.

 

“Agggh!”

 

Annoyed, Freya sliced it up with her wings. But they didn’t stop. They kept on rolling over and over away from her while throwing the furniture lying beside them. Freya slices the furniture with ease. One of them threw a vase at her. She sliced it up open, but the dust came out flying onto her face.

 

“Pweh, pweh!”

** cough, cough **

“Keep it going, throw everything you’ve got!”

“Yes, Aniki!”

“Eeeenough!”

 

She let out her rage. The chandelier along with the windows trembled.

 

** vooom **

** crack, shatter **

 

The windows beside her broke apart.

 

““!!””

 

The two pretentious dark knights staggered. I ducked before I got dragged away by her shockwave. It’s far weaker than the last time she used it against me… Mmmmm... So she could control it?

They grabbed their helmets and wore them. Freya leaps forward, spinning her spear, scratching every side of the chamber. She didn’t care at all. The dark knights drew out their sword and began deflecting it.

 

** cling, clang **

 

Not even a minute has passed; their sword has already turned into hooks. It didn’t break, but it bent. They stared at their weapons with awe. The tough guy straightened them with his hands in the middle of the fight while the other copied him.

 

“Hahahahaha!”

 

Freya let out a sinister laugh. Whenever she takes away her spear, she stabs them with her wings. It never went through their armor, but they staggered whenever it hit them. A minute later, Freya lost her sight of one of them.

She looked around then she saw the tough guy behind me. She got distracted. When she looked for the other one, his little brother had already jumped beside me on the bed.

She walked towards us. The end of her spear made a thud sound as she lowered her guard.

 

“Death won’t be enough if you harm Bell-sama’s body…”

 

She glared at them with her expressionless face.

 

“Aniki, what should we do?”

“Don’t worry, just play along.”

 

They whispered behind my back.

 

“Hooo.. Calm down, Deredere, we surrender!”

“Then step forward and let me kill you both.”

“Bell-sama would be mad if you kill us both.”

“??”

 

She tilted her head sideways.

 

“We’re actually sent here from the past to observe the progress of Bell-sama’s revival.”

“Y-yeah, Aniki is right.”

“B*llsh*t”

 

I intervened.

 

“Hooo, no need to be so vulgar.”

 

Said the tough guy.

 

“I don't believe you. If you’re actually sent here by Bell-sama why didn’t you talk first?”

 

Freya leaned. Her eyes have turned fiercer from a closer view.

 

“Didn’t you get what I just said? We’re only here to observe…”

“Observe?”

“We came here to check if Bell-sama’s vessel…”

 

He looked at his little brother.

 

“Is doing… well..”

“Y-yeah.”

 

They nodded several times in agreement.

 

“Do you think I would even believe that?”

 

She raised her spear against them.

 

“E-a-and… And…”

 

He continued and raised his index finger.

 

“And… he wanted to see if his future wife could properly take care of his body… when the time comes.”

“...”

 

She’s blushing. F*ck she’s starting to believe.

 

“Don’t believe them, Freya-sama. I heard them whispering behind me. They’re deceiving you.”

“You still doubt us? Let me show you our cores!”

 

They opened their chest. There are… two of them...  They have two cores in their chest. One is shining blue, the other is shining violet.

 

“Those are…”

“Yes… Bell-sama made it himself.”

 

He pointed out his violet core. Slowly but surely, her doubt against them faded away. Whenever Freya questions them about why this and that, the tough guy would answer her with made-up stories while his little brother agrees with him. They pinched me from behind whenever I tried to intervene.

Glossary | Scribble Hub - Types of Mana, Primal

 

Radiating blue light, Primal is the most common mana found amongst all races. Found in forests, ruins, populated areas, and underground. They were generated by other living creatures as well. They run out fast after use, and it's not much help during a fight unless they have an above-average mana capacity.

It’s not as all mighty to the rest of the living, but if wielded correctly, they could harness the power of spirits around them. It’s also used as an alternative power source to run inanimate objects around, but only if they remain in that place.

 

20