Chapter 25 – Somewhere in these eyes, I’m on your side.
486 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Under the shade of moonlight coming from the open chamber of the cave, the Demon King and Freya sat at the table facing each other. The seemingly lifeless cave before was transformed by the powers of the Demon King into a luxury one. Their furniture was made out of obsidian, with intricate text forgotten by history. Even the uneven ground, walls, and ceiling were polished and flattened out. 

Freya has already wiped off her tears, yet her bloodshot eyes remain. 

 

“Bell-sama, please accept this ring.” Freya bowed and stretched her arm. 

“Hoo~ a titanium ring.” Amazed, the Demon King picks up the ring and raised it above admiring its beauty.   

“... You always gave me presents and I realized that I haven’t given you any.” Freya embarrassingly said.

“Thank you, thank you… Is this… handcrafted?” 

“Y-yes…”

“Remarkable… I haven’t gotten anything like this since my parents left me! Hahahaha!”

 

The Demon King slaps his knee, bursting into laughter. Freya smiles whenever she makes him satisfied. While they reminisce about their past, the Demon King's left eye flickered before it fell off.

 

!!

 

“Bell-sama!” Freya exclaimed as she stood up. 

 

The Demon King immediately caught his eye just below his chest. 

 

“It’s okay, It’s just an eye.”

“...”

“Hm, looks like I’m getting… old! Hahaha- haaaa…”

“Bell-sama…” Freya anxiously said. 

“You don’t have to worry much about me. I’m here, that’s all that matters.” 

“But, Bell-sama…”

“**sighs** Fine… No more laughing.”

“**clears throat** Bell-sama, the princess is here.” Hachiro said. 

 

Freya wept her eyes once more before she turned around. Sora was trembling with fear when she saw a glimpse of the Demon King. Within the malicious shadows of his hood were his eyes radiating amaranthine light. Sensing his eyes lock at her, she fearfully closed her eyes. 

 

“She looks like a lost kitten left in the snow.” The Demon King said. 

“Go on, step forward.” Nanatsu pushed Sora from behind. She staggered, but she immediately raised her head. 

 

Realizing that she got their attention, she felt her chest beating intensely. She could hear her blood pulsating throughout her body. Her hands began to shake. Each step lasted a second, but it felt like a minute. The eerie silence made her even more uncomfortable until she stood next to Freya. 

 

**donnn**

 

The Demon King stomped the ground.

 

“Hiik!” Surprised, Sora went down to her knees and curled up like a caterpillar. 

“Bell-sama, I-I’m really sorry. I never knew it would happen. I was simply obeying their orders. D-doing it for my people. We only seek knowledge and-and w-we wanted to rebuild our Kingdom o-once more! We didn’t seek to disturb you or insult you in a-anyway. P-Please forgive me!” 

 

A long silence followed.

 

“I just summoned a chair for you…”

“Huh?” Sora raised her head. Behind her was a small chair for her to sit on. 

 

““Pfft… HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA”” The two dark knights burst into laughter.

“Silence!” Freya silenced them with a swift of her hand.

 

The two of them stood upright out of instinct. Sora, on the other hand, embarrassingly sat on the chair. Freya made a look at them before she turn around.

 

“Bell-sama, I’m here to present to you your next vessel.” Freya elegantly points her left palm at Sora.

“What happened to her hand?”

“!! S-she must have hurt herself again. Don’t worry, Bell-sama. I’ll heal her up as good as new.”

 

Freya raised her palm above her head. It radiated cerulean light as she healed her. It only took less than a minute, and as Freya has said before, she was as good as new. The Demon King faintly smiled, seeing Sora baffled by such magic. Seeing him satisfied, Freya slightly blush. He noticed her eyes swinging back and forth. 

 

“Is there something you wanted to say?”

“... N-now, that I’ve fulfilled my end of the bargain… do you think… I’m a worthy wife?”

“Huh?” 

“...”

 

The Demon King’s plain voice pierce her heart like an arrow turning her into stone. 

 

“What do you mean by worthy wife?”

“...!!”

 

Cracks started to form. 

 

“Freya?” Puzzled, The Demon King tilts his head. 

“Fret not!” Nanatsu walks towards the Demon King while raising his index finger. Hachiro followed. 

“His memories are still hazy. We can’t expect him to remember everything!” He paused for a moment next to Sora, tapping her cheeks.  

“I don’t think I forgot something important.” 

“Bell-sama, allow me to enlighten you.” 

 

The Demon King leaned. Nanatsu then whispered every detail to him. 

 

“WHAT?!”

 

**suuuu-doonnnnnnn**

 

Surprised, the Demon King slammed his armchair. The earth trembled followed by a shockwave. Sora flew and landed upsidedown on her chair. Freya’s chair partially lifted up while her bosom slightly wiggled upon its impact. His voice echoed to the deepest ends of the cave until it turned silent again.

 

“Am I unworthy?” Freya asked with quivering lips. 

“Of course, no, nooooo.” The Demon King exaggeratedly denied. 

“I want to hear it.”

“... Hear what?”

“His report… I want to hear it. I want to make sure his report is honest and unbiased.”

“Oh, yes, yes. **clap, clap** Now that I’ve been enlightened. It’s time for you to report if she’s worthy or not.”

 

Nanatsu graciously bowed. He stood upright and raised his right hand. 

 

“Uhum… Ehem ehem ehem ehem. Ahem…” 

 

Nanatsu clears his throat. The Demon King glanced at Freya, she was seemingly smiling, but her expression changed as soon as he turned around. 

 

“Uuuuuuhummmm. Ahemmmmmmm. Uhum. Ehem. Aaaaahemmm!”

 

“...”

 

Nanatsu looked at Hachiro standing behind him. He nodded to his brother. He then looked at Sora, who was trembling with fear. He nodded to her. 

 

**inhales**

 

“Uhummmm…! Uhumm…!”

 

“...”

 

After a long silence. 

 

“... She’s unworthy.”

“WHAAAT?!!” Freya’s pupils dilated as she stood up. Freya raised her left palm with anger.

“Don’t summon your spear, you’ll wipe us out!” The Demon King exclaimed. 

 

Freya paused for a moment. Slowly, she clenched her fist with bloodlust. She sat down glaring at Nanatsu, gritting her teeth behind her glossy pink lips. Hachiro hid behind his brother. Nanatsu held his ground with pride and justice like a knight between his brother and Freya. The only thing that separates them now is just an obsidian table.

 

“**sighs** I see…” Without interest, the Demon King nods for a moment before changing the topic.

“**clap, clap** Moving on, after I take her body, it’ll take some time for me to come back… Probably a year or two.”

 

Freya made a sinister smile looking at the two. Nanatsu took a second glance at the Demon King. He felt something shivering down his spine whenever she looked at Freya. Her smile turns even more wicked by the minute. 

 

“E-And, and…” Nanatsu raised his index finger before he continued.

“That was what I thought at first, but actually, she is a worthy wife. When you weren’t, around she’s always there to protect us. She’s always there wherever we go.”

 

Freya’s mood changed in an instant. Filled with satisfaction, she closed her eyes and nodded at every word he has said. The Demon King glanced at her, she gracefully nodded with satisfaction. 

 

“... To the point that we no longer have a sense of privacy…”

 

Freya paused for a moment.

 

“Her proportioned body, white skin, raven wings, detailed facial features, eye-catching legs with a delightful rear, and tasty melons with a nice future ahead of them made men around her pause for a moment and scream with wonder. They usually say [Aahhhhh acccchh kughh kugh khuuu----] And believe me, it may sound like they were gurgling from their own blood, but it’s not. It’s just their way of expressing themselves. ” 

 

Freya shook her head, telling him to cut it out.

 

“Even Sora made the same expression when they first met. Right, Sora?”

“Mm…? Hm.” Sora, who was looking somewhere else, nods with a wry smile. 

“Just look at her. She literally has an angel's face, who would never ever wipe out an entire religious sect.”

 

When the Demon King glanced at her, she made a smile, nodding to every word Nanatsu has said, except for her twitching brows as if she was annoyed. 

 

“And that’s just the tip of the iceber-”

“Enough… That’s Enough… I’m already satisfied. Bell-sama, I’ve heard enough.” 

“Already? I was expecting to hear more.” The Demon King complained.

“But that’ll spoil everything about me… I want you to know personally, who I really am - a-as your wife. **blushes**” 

“**sighs** Fine, fine…”

“Now that I’m worthy.” Freya blushed and bit her lips.

“... Uhm.. Bell-sama, once you come back again, can we at least have a child?”

“A child? Why? What for…?” 

“Because that’s what a family is… And, Bell-sama, I already thought of a name for our child. It’ll be-”

“Noelle…” The Demon King whispered to himself as if he was reminiscing about the past. 

“Bell-sama…?”

“It’s nothing.”

“Noelle? That’s quite a good name. I love it!” Freya fluffed her wing with joy along with her smile. 

 

Filled with joy, Freya expressed her delusions about their marriage. The Demon King faintly smiled in every word she said. Without complaint, he accepted his fate. He’s not intrigued nor interested, but deep within his heart, he felt his chest weigh heavier than before.  

 

“Then we’ll invite our-”

“To raise a child…” He whispered to himself again. He exhaled through his nose before he looked at the clouds above them. Freya took a glance at him before she looked at the clouds. 

“... Bell-sama…?”

“... Do you know how to raise a child?”

“No, but I’ve heard it’s just a piece of cake.”

“... Do you have a home for our child?”

“We have the entire Kingdom of Arcadia.”

“... Along with their debt and angry mobs trying to start a civil war…”

“We’ll just mop them away.”

“... They’ll soon be back… and in greater numbers. Pestering us every day like mosquitos. Our child would be living in a warzone in no time.”

“Then we’ll live somew-”

“... You'd be hunted down by your own kind. And we’d be worrying more about that to our child.”

“Then-”

“There’s no safer place other than the Kingdom of Arcadia.”

“...”

 

Beads of tears started to form around her eyes.

 

“Oh, don’t cry, don’t cry.” 

 

Freya hid behind her raven wings. The Demon King stood up and kneeled next to her.

 

“Look, it’s not that I don’t want to have a child, I’m just worried, okay? We’re both inexperienced about this stuff, and I don’t want our child to grow up in such a dangerous place.” 

“Really?” Freya wept her tears as she asked.

“Yes! Look, I’m smiling.” 

“I don’t believe it.” Freya crossed her arm in protest.

“Then what should I do for you to believe me?”

“I want a kiss…”

“!! A kiss?”

“See, you’re not really into it.”

“Of course, of course, I’ll give it to you.” The Demon King immediately hold onto her wings when she tries to hide herself again.

 

The Demon King kissed her cheeks. She blushed and hid behind her wings, pushing him away.

 

“You’re still mad at me?”

“... No~”

“Hoo~ You look like you’re still mad at me. Come on, show me your face. I want to see it.”

“... Would you kiss me again if you do?”

“Sure, why not… But I’ll give the rest to you once I come back.”

“Really?”

“Oh~ I’ll give you lots. I’ll be sure to drown you every day with love.”

 

Freya bit her lips as she turned red. Sora saw the tip of her bosom standing out. She’s starting to lose control of her heat. Sora immediately looked away as she sensed her gaze. Trying to maintain her dignity, she stood up. 

 

“I’ll be waiting outside… Bell-sama, once you come back… I’ll be sure to become the wife you’d never regret.”

“I shall look forward to it.”

 

She left the room without looking to anyone. 

 

 

“As for you…” 

 

As the Demon King’s tone changed, their surroundings turned to dust, reverting everything back to its old form. Sora stood up as sand flooded the room to their feet. 

 

“You’ve been trembling a lot lately.”

“...”

“Calm down, calm down…” 

 

The Demon King kneeled in front of her, brushing her shoulder. 

 

“I forgive you.” 

“...” Sora stopped trembling as she looked into his eyes.

“... But I’m afraid I still couldn’t move on.”

 

**suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, baaaaaammm!**

 

**kugh!**

 

The Demon King let out a solid blow right to her stomach, piercing her armor. Its shockwave traveled through the back of her armor, tearing it apart; Leaving a gust of wind behind her. Sora’s eyes turned white, and her mouth agape. She passed out before she could see her hair fall back. 

 

 

At the wagon, Freya was waiting outside. She crossed her arms walking back and forth. Soon after, Nanatsu and Hachiro arrived carrying Sora. 

 

“What took you so long?” 

“We gave Bell-sama’s former body to Belial.”

 

!!

 

“Aniki!”

 

Nanatsu was lifted up in the air as Freya grabbed him by the neck. He clung to her arm as she gripped his neck at each second passing by. Her eyes that dictate one's death are dead set on Nanatsu. Her grim face replaced her lively expression from before. 

 

“We're only obeying his orders. We have no choice but to give it to him. It was for your own safety... If they get news about this, they'll surely come for us, foe or not. And he doubts that you won’t be able to convince them.” Nanatsu desperately said.

“Freya-sama, he’s no longer there.”

 

Freya’s brows frowned, annoyed from Hachiro’s words.

 

“W-what I mean is, Bell-sama is here, inside of her.” Hachiro points out her chest.

 

Nanatsu dropped to the ground. He was lifted up like a thin can, but he dropped like a thousand pounds. Freya raised her hand above Sora’s chest. She noticed Sora was wearing her present as a necklace.

 

“Put her inside.” Freya said in a monotonous tone. 

 

 

Under the tree, I was wrapping my mannequin. I finally got what I’m after, but now I have another mission in life. I grabbed onto my necklace and felt the ring she gave to me. 

 

“To raise a child…” I faintly smiled.

 

!!

 

I sensed something going after me. I crossed my arms as I release the strings around my fingers.

 

**swoooshhhh, booooommmmm**

 

It landed right beside me. A large chunk of debris flew everywhere, creating a dense fog. Frighted, my horse neighed and reared up before it ran away. As the dense fog subsides, the spear beside me vanishes in a flash of light. 

 

“I always thought you’re one of the apostles of the Cult of Gaia.” Freya said midair.

 

Haven’t I strictly ordered them not to follow me around? 

Freya raised her left hand and summoned her spear. 

 

**vooooooooooooommmmmmm**

 

The trees bend upon its release. 

 

**swooooshhh, booooommmmm**

 

She rapidly threw her spear at me while I swayed it away with my strings. These spears are heavy. 

 

**hyun, hyun, hyun, hyun**

 

Each one of them vanished within a second. 

 

“You don’t deserve to live.”

 

Freya radiated cerulean light while summoning her spear. She then flew higher and dived right at me in a flash. 

 

**gabam**

 

I immediately spread my hands, trying to redirect her spear somewhere else. But I wasn't able to divert her attack. I crossed my arms, restraining it midair. I managed to stop it, but its impact tattered my clothes. Blood spills around my fingers. 

 

“All for that, for a small drop of blood. Tch!”

 

**hyun**

 

Freya vanished her spear. I immediately stomped the ground as she attempt to summon another.

 

**gabam**

 

She swiftly broke it down to pieces. We both pause for a moment as it starts to rain. 

 

“Why…? Why did he chose you?!” 

“... It was for your own good.”

“How…? Why…? How did he know about you…? Was it those two pests…? Why didn’t he entrust his body to me…? Why did he simply give it to someone like you?!” Freya was scratching her head, throwing questions one after another. 

“... you should head back, it’s already raining… they said these clouds can bring down even the archangels.”

“I don’t care! I don’t care even if I get hit by his own creation.”

“...”

“I don’t want to be bested by someone lower than me!”

“...”

“I don’t want him to doubt me!”

“...”

“That’s why I shall prove it to him! I shall take care of his body like it’s one of my own. I already defended the catacombs more than you have lived. I will clear every doubt of his mind. If he still doubts me then I… I…” Freya slowly succumbed to her own madness.

“...” 

“I shall prove it once again!”

 

Spear after spear, she threw them at me midair. The clouds roar as she screams in anger. I would then lift a rock one after another with my strings. 

Unable to withstand her tantrums. I plunged my strings onto the ground. Golems form as I lift them up with my strings. They were as tall as me. One after another, Freya destroyed them in a flash, creating a dense fog. 

 

“You can’t escape from me!”

 

She immediately brushed off the fog with a single flap of her wings. She already knew how I would escape. 

 

“Hngh!!! I can’t stand it any longer!” Annoyed, Freya gritted her teeth and raised both of her hands. 

 

She’ll attract the clouds if she tries to cast a spell. 

 

“No, Don't!”

“[Judgeme-]” 

 

The clouds darkened and a mass wave of lighting rained down upon her. For a brief moment of time. In slow motion. She was looking up in the sky. Her face tells how she messed up. As the lighting gets closer and closer. Her face lights up in a bluish hue. Her eyes reflected its light. Slowly she closed her eyes.

 

**snap**

 

My seal snapped. I stabbed the ground with my string and flew to her with the speed of light.

 

**zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, kapaaaaaaaaaang!”

 

I got there on time. The lightning touched my string and it went straight down to the ground. We rolled and tumbled as we dropped down. I end up lying on top of her. Both of us were soaking in wet. 

 

**gasp**

 

Freya wasn’t able to utter a single word when she saw me. Her hands were trembling with fear. My presence weakened as the markings wrapped my body once more. 

 

“Tch!” 

 

Freya gritted her teeth and her pupils dilated. 

 

**vooooooooooom, chuckkkkk, splaaaattt**

 

I felt a bit cold down my spine. Looking down, I saw her spear piercing my chest. 

 

**kughh**

 

I began to cough up blood.  

 

“Hngh!”

 

She lifted me up and impaled me to the ground. 

 

“I finally caught you. Hmph!” 

 

She smirked while looking down at me. My hand slips from my own blood as I try to grip tight on her spear. I’m starting to wheeze. I’m starting to feel… cold… 

 

“This ring… tch! So it was you who stole it from him!” 

 

Freya snatched the ring on my neck, causing my blindfold to fall off.

 

For the first time… I finally saw her face in person… 

 

The first thing that came up to my mind was how Nanatsu described her perfectly… 

 

Except for one… Her lonesome eyes. 

 

Wheezing, I raised my hand… 

 

“Haaa… haaaa…” 

 

Trying to breathe as much as I can.

 

Freya puts away the ring when she saw me trying to reach out for it. 

 

But I was after her face…

 

I rarely regret my decisions in life… 

 

If there’s one…

 

“... I wish… I could have seen it sooner…”

 

My finger slipped from her cheek as I lose my strength to live. My vision started to blur.

 

“Tch!” Freya clicked her tongue in disgust. 

 

**hyun**

 

The spear vanished, I went down on my knees before I kissed the ground. She left without batting an eye.

 

The ground was filled with my own blood mixed with rain. 

 

Slowly, this place is getting… silent… cold… and dark…

 

Just like how I wanted to be in right now…

 

Back in my… room…

 

…………

 

………

 

……

 

 

..

 

.

 

At the wagon, parked somewhere near the trees. Someone lifted up the curtains.

 

“Freya-sama, we’ve be-” 

 

Hachiro saw Freya partially covered with blood. 

 

“Give me some towel… And I want you too to prepare for tomorrow, we’re heading south.”

 

Hachiro gave her a towel. As she walks away, Nanatsu leaned over.

 

“Freya-sama, Bell-sama strictly ordered us to turn back.”

 

She paused for a moment.

 

“I don’t take orders from you…”

 

She left without looking at him. 

 

 

As requested. Here's an image of the Demon King's (mannequin)
that ticks like a clock and sounds like a clock.

11