King is Back! A Short Story
36 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

War of The Ancients 

King's descent into madness

 

 

 

A desolate wasteland lays before King; "If only my sisters were here, maybe I will live to the end of the war."

King had a great loveable personality before the war, always righting the mood for his brothers and sisters. During the war, he snapped, the pressure got to him in the worst way possible, death of friends. King sat on a cliff hoping this fall would kill him. The terrain was magically made, all life was beyond dead, spikes stood tall from magic spells, and ashes laid waste of monsters and demigods alike. 

King's voice breaking: "Goodbye, Rhea, Callista, I hope you guys make it through this war."

He slips off the six-hundred-foot spike rock, nose-diving down as the cold air, brushes his face and hair. King felt somewhat happy that it will end, a small whistle sound from the air blew into King's ear. A quiet voice called, then a shrill voice called out bothering King as he kept his eyes closed.

Shrill voice: "HELP, SOMEBODY HELP US PLEASE!"

King sharply turned opening his eyes, unsheathing his blade, and sinking it into the monster below, the impact caused a crater the size of a cottage. The monster was a humanoid being, but the major difference is it had three bodies attached to it and multiple arms. King rips his blade out of the monster, using its skin to clean off the black blood from his blade; King sheathes his gladius. A quiet barely audible gasp for air caught King's attention, he cautiously crept to the voice. A woman lay on the ground, her side had a chunk missing, she was laying in a pool of her own blood. 

Lady in a muffled voice from choking on her blood: "Hel-help m-m-me, pl-please, *choking on blood."

King pulled out a knife, shaky from her cries for help, he slid the blade into her heart, her blue eyes turned a grey King all knew too well. He closed her eyes as he slid the blade back out, cleaning it with his clothes before leaving. He traveled through the maze of spikes as the dark clouds covered the sky.

King: "I couldn't save anyone, again, another day in this dark war."

He moved on, reaching the exit of spikes into a wasteland of empty desert, a camp was set up a mile away. Light came from the camp bringing a warm feeling to King as he rushed over. He reached the camp and in the middle sat a few demigods sitting around a campfire, all had pitiful faces. King couldn't even be happy he found people alive as they already look dead. He joins them, sitting down on the ground as the others stare at him.

Sleep-deprived woman: "Where did you come from?"

King: "From the spikes, just ran into a group of dead demigods."

A man with bandages wrapped around his head: "So they didn't make it, not surprising since the monster of many bodies roams the area. Then again, how did you make it out of there."

King: "I killed it, but I was too late to save anyone."

Everyone gasped at his response, a small demigod child burst into tears as everyone was in an uproar.

A lady missing her right arm: "You can't be serious, how did you kill that monster!"

King: "I got a surprise attack from above, coming down at intense speeds. It could move out of the way by the time it noticed me."

Kid sniveling: "Thank you for revenging my parents."

King with a cheery attitude: "Your welcome kid, no what, I am going to be the one to end the war!"

Everyone cheered as he psyched everyone up. 

 

 

 

#

 

 

 

King woke up on the ground, the wind was violent as he stands up pushing him around. King notices that he is on a stone platform in the sky, above the clouds. 

King: "What, how did I get here."

Sinister voice: "You think you will end the war, how pathetic! 

King worried: "Who are you?! What do you want!"

Sinister voice: "I am an Ancient, and what I seek is a champion of war."

The voice was distorted crackling as it spoke, a smoke of black miasma surrounded King, completely covering the light around him. Leaving him in darkness, unable to see his own hands. The darkness brighten enough to feel like you were in space and able to breathe.

King: "Why is it you pick me, there are plenty of stronger demigods out there to choose from."

A man and woman's voices changing back in forth: "Oh we know, but none of them, could kill like you. Murder like you."

The woman takes over: "What do you wish to have, KING, fame, fortune, family, or is it more simple, like Power."

King: "Power to protect people, power to obliterate my enemies in a single swing, I want Power."

The man and woman laugh as the miasma clears, a medallion floats down to him emanating a red glow.

The man takes over: "This is power, a power that costs you your sanity. It feeds on battles, letting it feed on your kill's will in turn power you."

King grips it tightly, the power seeps into him causing great pain as he falls to his knees still holding it with a vise grip.

King: "Arrrrrraahhahahahhhhaaaaaaa, is this what power feels like!"

A woman wearing a dark cloak appears before him, standing over him with a hand out for his aid.

Woman: "Now, kill the demigods starting with that camp."

He lifted himself up, nodding as he walked to the edge of the cliff, and dived down once again, instead of protecting the demigods and looking for a way to save them, he now aimed to kill them for power to protect himself and others he has not met yet.

A man appears behind the woman with his deep voice: "It is only a matter of time till he meets my son. The duo who will bring an end to Zeus's reign."

 

 

 

#

 

 

Scared woman: "No please!"

Her blood-curdling screams wake up the camp, everyone rushes out with weapons in hand as they see King standing above a woman's corpse huffing as he turns his head slightly. His eye is engulfed in red no pupils left just pure red. 

The kid stands behind the group of demigods as he slaughters them one by one, the last one is the kid as he stands in front of him, horrified beyond words. King kneels down to the kid as he steps back, King grabs him tightly by the shoulder.

King: "I ain't going to kill you kid, relax."

He puts his arm around the boy bringing him close, he whispered in his ear.

King: "It is worse than death."

The kid tried to run away, sobbing uncontrollably, he tripped as a shadow was holding his leg. Slowly dragging him into the abyss until there is no trace of him left. As he sat there his eyes faded back to their original color, clueless of what occurred but the shame he couldn't save those he promised was great.

 

2