Chapter 93 Eric’s Despair
88 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    RB Chapter 93 Eric's Despair 

Almost all the beasts in this era surpassed their previous size limitations. The reason being that they had stronger bodies and organs, capable of handling the increased weight and the increased influence of gravity.

"A normal sheep...huh..." Eric rubbed his chin.

"Anyway, we need to move. This tiny creature is not enough for all of us." He said after a pause.

"It was probably chased away from its herd." Miss Njibwa said.

"We need to collect the blood. Isn't that why we killed it?" Mugumivu asked.

"Ye-" Eric was in the middle of answering when he felt something which caused his neck hairs to stand up and his expression to slacken. His entire body lit up with electric arcs causing the others puzzlement.

Eric shifted his entire upper body to the right by a few inches and a whistling sound arrived from a far. The thing producing it passed the place where his shoulder previously was. His dynamic vision managed to capture it. It was a fist sized stone with a reddish glow.

(Boom!) 

Cracks spread along the ground when it crashed. 

'It can't be!' Eric's face became etched with terror! He had sensed something, an aura he was familiar with in that projectile!

"Shit!" Monki cursed and all the people in the group except for Eric turned to look where they had come from. But even with their senses they couldn't pick up anything from the surroundings.

All their countenances had shifted dramatically. They hadn't even managed to sense the attack! Even the attacker for that matter.

"What!?" Mugumivu shouted attracting the rest.

"The person who threw that was 5 kilometers away, still on the main road!" Mugumivu still had disbelief thick in his voice. They all sucked in a breath of air! They were in tall grass! They had to have needed to know their exact post ion and calculated all the parameters in order to even be able to hit any one of them! That was a terrifying feat!

"Run." A whisper entered their ears. They all caught sight of a dark expression on Eric's face. Sweat was continuously dripping to the ground. His voice was hoarse, like it had taken him many years without speaking.

"Run!" He repeated. This time he managed to make it louder. He took Chloe's hand in his and set off without even looking back. Chloe was about to protest, but when she glimpsed his expression, she simply let herself be dragged.

Eric felt it, the terror he felt when that creature killed Baguma and Elec, the helplessness that came with it, everything was like he was back to that time! This time he chose to run, run until that terror was left behind!

------

"Interesting! Someone actually managed to dodge that?" A person with a spear strapped to his back, his hand, in a throwing position said with a grin on his face. If you stared closely at his eyes, you could see that the black point in his pupils had enlarged to cover the entire pupil.

Steam was popping out of the pores of his right hand, the one which had thrown the stone.

"It looks like the the.perature was lacking. It didn't even explode." He looked at his palm, which had reddened as if it had been burnt by a high temperature. It must have been painful, but he acted as if the hand wasn't even his!

"They are running! I thought they would have stayed and fought. Did I scare them too much? Hehehehe..." The man cackled. The other barbarians were quiet as if they were simply statues.

"Let's go!" He ordered after cackling for a while. The other three followed behind him as he entered the grass to pursue.

------

"Eric, what's wrong?" Chloe asked. All the others had eventually caught up, but those not well versed in long distance running were panting. They had just reached the kilometer mark from the place where the attack had happened.

Eric was occasionally looking behind himself with a scary expression.

The others were puzzledand wanted to ask, but...

"Shut up! All of you, don't ask! All you have to know is that if, the person who threw that stone catches up, we are all going to die!" He emphasized.

'That aura! Its the same as that time!' His wounds throbbed and blood even started flowing out.

He was trying to show the others a less version of the turmoil that was in his mind. It had stirred up massive waves! His heart was beating erratically and he was even panting.

He wasn't going to last long, he was probably going to collapse. That was what he felt. Everything was a jumble, and he didn't even have the time to think about scouting in front in case they ran into something dangerous.

'My vision is getting blurry... Have to get away!...my body is losing strength... Have to get away!...my scars are letting out a lot of blood...have to get away!' The terror and fear were the only two things spurring him on.

They reached an area filled with banana plantations, but these weren't the normal ones from the past. These ones had mutated to a width of almost a meter and as tall as eucalyptus trees, about 15 meters. Their leaves alone were almost four meters in width and over ten meters in length. A few had bananas dangling on them, some mature, others still growing.

They didn't slow down as they were following the mentally unstable Eric. They only stopped when Eric collapsed deep into the banana plantation.

He collapsed due to losing consciousness. His wounds had also released too much blood.

Chloe tended to him while the others monitored the surroundings.

"I never thought the staple food of our country would mutate to these levels!" Monki commented while trying to make his gaze penetrate the leaves above him. His staff was hanging on his shoulders. He was relaxed, not at all tense. He even felt that this place suited him.

"Why do you think Eric had such an expression? The person who attacked us was only an energy channeller at best...if I am not mistaken, one savage managed to get away...so he probably found reinforcements. At most all of them would be energy channelers at best, so what was it that scared him?" Sally asked while staring at Eric, who was lying in Chloe's arms. She was also leaning against miss Njibwa, and both were catching their breath.

"I don't know, but Mr. Know-it-all there was practically pissing his pants in fear." Monki said sarcastically earning a glare from Chloe.

"I don't think it was that simple..." Sally paused. She was sceptical.

"Those were just energy channellers at most. Didn't we beat those savages who had kidnapped Leah and miss Njibwa, by the way, I haven't heard any thanks from you, not that I am complaining." Monki had an inflated ego.

"Wasn't it Eric who scared away the other savage and killed their leader?" Leah challenged in a soft voice.

"Oh...! Do you want me to kill you?" Monki shouted in dissatisfaction.

"Shut up! We are trying to analyse something important!" Mugumivu said in a deep voice. It had dropped by a few degrees.

Even though he didn't fear Mugumivu, he shut his mouth when he saw that all the others were stating at him with unkind eyes.

"Continue, Sally." 

"I have been analysing everything but I have still failed to find anything that would scare him." 

Even Chloe was paying attention.

'His scars bled too much. Could his fear be related to that time that he went out with Baguma and Elec?' She wondered. She was wiping away the blood but more was still leaking out. Though it was currently in small quantities.

"We have to wait for him to wake up and then ask." Dora was vigilantly looking around, her back to the group, but her ears had been trained on the conversation.

"All of you are acting carefree as if we are out of the danger. Don't you remember what he said, you have to always be vigilant!" Dora advised them.

"This plantation appears calm!" Miss Njibwa commented.

"There is no safe place in the wilderness." Sally berated her gently. 

"All those with superior sensory organs should keep a look out, besides, we still have pursuers." Sally stood up. She had to be prepared to act in an instant. He sitting position had been too relaxed.

"This place is eerie. Except for the sounds of the tiny critters, there is no sign of any large creatures." Dora said after some time. She was the one who had been monitoring the place ever since they entered it. The others quietened down and listened carefully. They discovered that she was right.

"I don't smell anything related to a predator. I am catching the scent of a troop of creatures instead. Though its weird." Elena added.

"Its the smell of monkeys. Monkeys are the owner of this territory." Monki said.

"Ah! It must be because of your monkey genes! Good thing monkeys aren't that strong." Miss Njibwa released a pent up breath.

"That's where you are mistaken..." Monki hadn't even finished when howling was heard from above.

-----

The sound of cutting air was heard before four figures materialised in front of the banana plantation.

"Should we enter? Those monkeys are tough and this is their territory." One of the three, who were at the back asked. 

A lone savage with a spear strapped to his back was at the front.

"Alone, they aren't threatening, but a troop of them is troublesome." The savage with the spear had also lost his signature wide grin and was adopting a serious expression.

TRIVIA

The human body can't withstand more than 5g without passing out. Supercells have been able to evolve in a way that they can adapt. Creatures with large frames would fracture their bones due to their weight in addition to the gravity. They can exist in this era due to the existence of super cells which strengthen the organs and increase the bone density of said creatures. If a human of this era is thrown into Jupiter, they would evolve to adapt to its gravity in a matter of hours with sufficient energy.

2