Chapter 114 Different Paths
63 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 RB Chapter 114 Different Paths

What had walked out of the shadows was another monkey, different from the four yellow furred-ones opposite it. It had a relaxed gait, munching on some sort delicacy.

It had white fur, a well-toned body rivalling that of full grown men, and red eyes, not the red of blood, but clear, like gems. Those same gems were regarding the four yellow furred monkeys before them.

It had a carefree expression, as if everything didn't matter, like the world was a joke to it.

"Mmm...have you gone deaf in these few seconds that I have been here?" The white furred monkey asked scratching at some of its skin. Something long, covered in beast hides was strapped in its back. The observer might take it as a staff, a weapon, something rarely carried by beasts as they had pride ingrained in them that their bodied were superior to anything.

"Are you truly capable of finding those fruits?" All the four monkeys had a blazing look in their eyes. If they didn't have apprehensions about the newcomer's strength, they might have even tried to capture him for interrogation!

"I don't lie...that is troublesome and pointless. Are you joining or not? If you aren't, then I will have to slaughter you to keep my intentions secret." Those reddish gems in its eyes narrowed dangerously. Even one of its hands was in the middle of making its way to the thing covered in beast hides at its back.

"Of course we will join." The monkeys hurriedly nodded. Threats of death from the white furred monkey didn't scare them. They had spent many years in the wilderness, so they knew that something like death was bound to happen someday. Instead they were excited! Thus was a heaven sent chance to change their destiny...its destiny!

"Okay then, let's go! But you are too many, can't you do something about yourselves?" The white furred monkey turned around and walked back into the shadows, its black cloak flapping in the wind.

One of the monkeys had its eyes light up, and the other three fainted not long afterwards. It followed veins the figure in the black cloak. The other three fallen monkey were dead! Their bodies were still intact, but if you gazed inside their heads, you would see that their brains had somehow melted soundlessly! Such terrifying methods! But the lone surviving monkey didn't care, they had been clones, only meant to be there for bouncing thoughts on!

------

"I am going to try bio-engineering." That was the first statement that came out of Eric's mouth after Michael's car vanished into the horizon. His eyes were still staring at the far side where the vehicle had vanished as if reluctant to part.

"Are you sick, by any chance?" Chloe placed a hand on his forehead, after all he had just said something ridiculous!

"Wha-what do you mean?" Eric jumped backwards, flustered. Her warm hand on his forehead had caused his heart to speed up for some unknown reason.

"Bioengineering is something which requires years of investment. You...haven't even completed school. How can you just come out and suggest something like that?" Chloe asked seriously. She was trying to dissuade him. That profession was one which guzzled money. All respectable bioenginners had at least a gigantic organisation behind them. An organisation was the only one capable of supporting them!

"I want to try my hand at something, something that will allow me to advance my power, plus, if I manage to invent something useful, my status will rise and I will become influential. That woman might try to raise us as soldiers, or her personal guards, remember, we have lost all our previous backing and no one will even search for us if we inexplicably disappear. I would want to be included in someone's unknown schemes." 

Chloe fell into deep thought upon listening to his explanation. He was right, while she was strong, she didn't think she could manage to protect Eric from such a colossal organisation.

"...very few bio engineers manage to make a name for themselves and the resources they need are so astronomical that only large companies can support them." 

"I know, but I have already come up with a preliminary plan. I will apprentice myself to one of those bioengineers and learn all the knowledge I need." Eric said. 

'I will try very hard to learn so that I can even find out the secrets of my genes. I might even manage to track down my mother.' He left that unsaid.

"It looks like I won't be able to change your mind no matter what I say." Chloe sighed in exasperation. She saw the resolute gaze and lost all strength to try and say otherwise.

"Yes." He answered curtly.

"I am going to try and search my contacts for one who is credible and has a relatively good attitude." Chloe said. 

'I had forgotten, no matter how much man tries, he will never be a lone island. She must have plenty contacts in and out of the city.' Eric came to such a realisation.  

"Thank you." 

"Its the least I can do." Chloe dismissed with a wave of her hand. She proceeded to search through her contacts using that patch on her wrist.

"Now...are we heading back to the city?" She asked without raising her head.

"Yes...no, let's go to the underground city." Eric changed his mind.

"There are many enemies in Kampala city." Chloe understood his reasoning. There is no way those people would allow someone from the former leaders of the city, the ten clans, to join any of the organisations within. Those people feared retaliation the most. They were probably still not even having a good sleep. She was sure that there were still those plotting in the shadows.

'Though, I wonder how they failed to catch wind of our position out of the city? Could it be the subtle influence of the Black Diamond Group?' Chloe wondered.

Both she and Eric once again hit the road, but this time, back to whence they came.

-----

As Eric and Chloe were going back, some of the others were heading north. 

Two girls, one with gentle looking features, brown eyes and emerald scales covering her entire body and another with a wild expression, beastly features, like brown fur and cat ears were trekking through the tall grass.

"Why are you following me?" The tall one asked, a note of annoyance in her voice. The other one only reached a little bit above the tall one's neck, but she didn't even show any change in expression at her question.

"I am not following you. We just happen to be heading in the same direction." The short one answered calmly. The short one was Leah Musota Butwa and the tall one, Elena Mpologoma.

Elena looked like a lunatic due to her hair being all over the place, coupled with the haphazardly arrangement of multiple beast hides on her body. Since they had started living in the wilderness, it hadn't been combed! The reason being that appearance wasn't important!

Leah on the other hand was a bit clean and proper looking, even without the proper girl kit, she tried to make herself presentable. The beast hides on her skin were arranged into a short skirt and a fur blouse, showing off her slender arms and thighs, covered in emerald scales.

Elena was lively, her eyes darting everywhere trying to spot any abnormality. Her posture signified that if something so much as tried to attack, it would be torn to shreds!

"Haaa...why are you acting like those savages? We are civilised." Leah sighed deliberately, a mocking look in her eyes. 

"Is being miss perfect like you going to save my life here in the wilderness, mmmm? I would rather spend time honing my skills unlike some idiots." Elena gave her the side eye, figurative sparks erupting in the air when their gazes met. They didn't get along, but they had a tacit understanding to not start any battles here, in this place where third parties were everywhere.

"We should try to work together." Leah suggested after withdrawing her eyes and taking in a large breath of air. She was trying to put her anger aside for the bigger picture.

"Why should we? I am stronger than you." Elena stated with confidence. There was no taunting look in her eyes. She was 100% certain that she was stronger than her. The reason for that was because her personality followed the traits of the predators, while Leah was trying to prevent such traits from encroaching her calm, rational thoughts.

Even Leah didn't throw a tantrum or show an expression of disagreement.

"I am cautious, not to mention having more sensory organs than you." She answered after thinking carefully, her long forked tongue poking out of her mouth every now and then.

"You are right about that. But what happens when we reach the north?" Elena asked. There had to be a winner, Elena didn't wasn't her to forget such a thing.

"After listening to such information, you are still thinking of heading north? Me, I want to temper myself in the wilderness after which I will locate Eric and form an alliance of sorts." Leah's eyes glowed with unnatural light.

"Are you delusional perhaps? There is no way he will accept. And are you really sure he will be interested?" Elena asked, giving the impression that she was staring down at Leah. Her stupidity had caused Elena's impression if her to drop.

"We three are the only ones still young enough to be teenagers. The others are excluding us deliberately, they forced us to leave the group and fend for ourselves after getting out of the banana plantation!" 

"Oh! Didn't we do the same to him?" Elena asked.

1