Chapter 142 Seige!
48 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

           RB Chapter 142 Siege!

The scorpions in the center of the explosions were all destroyed while those at the edges either lost their limbs or became severely injured. There were also those that were pushed away by the shockwaves causing them to be hurled into the air and falling among their brethren.

The other uninjured scorpions continued advancing towards the city feeding on the dead and injured, a cruel fate!

"They won't be able to reduce these numbers by even a half." The mayor, who was looking at the video feed captured by a drone above commented. The video feed was also being shared by the main theater of operations in Cairo.

As the scorpion tide reached two kilometers away from the city wall, the cables plugged into the city wall lit up from the point of contact all the way to the gun-like contraptions along the city wall.

The contraptions weren't normal guns, but electromagnetic railguns. As they charged up, their muzzles sparked with electricity.

From inside the city, multiple brown colored saucer like things started taking to the skies. They were military drones. They had been provided by the African federation from one of the 4 super corporations. The drones easily surpassed hundreds and they were all controlled by an AI system.

Booom!

All the electromagnetic railguns fired at the same time causing explosions in the air. The explosions were caused by the projectiles breaking the sound barrier.

The two kilometer distance was crossed in an instant, and multiple explosions lit up the desert. The shockwaves alone caused sand to be blown up into the desert sky.

"How long before they can be fired once again?" The mayor asked. The people on the wall hadn't been affected by the loud sound.

"2 minutes!" The secretary shouted.

The diameter of the explosions caused by the rail guns surpassed the bombs dropped by the planes in the sky. The craters alone easily surpassed ten meters in depth! The insides had formed a layer of glass due to the high heat brought upon by the kinetic energy of the projectiles.

Screech!

A high pitched sound came from the tide of scorpions and all of them sank into the sandy ground.

"Oh!" This time, Michael who had closed his eyes opened them. He had sensed something.

"That command came from spectrum level scorpion beast." Michael said to the mayor who had his back to him.

"But you still can't pinpoint its position." The mayor didn't even turn around.

"Yeah! Though, at least, now we know that its among the scorpions somewhere." Michael once again closed his eyes.

The bombardment stopped the moment the scorpions vanished underground. The technology had advanced to a certain level, but these beasts had also evolved to the point of masking their life signatures the moment they burrowed into the sand.

The mayor, and the people weren't worried that the scorpions would breach the city from underground as that would be absurd! The preparations made against such a situation were so extensive that they surpassed the defenses on the wall!

The city wall, was also actually built with metal, the sandy texture, melding perfectly with the surroundings was a mere camouflage.

A few meters away from the city wall, the sand sank under by a few notches and something black dug its way out. It was a scorpion, its black carapace glistening in the sun. It was just the first one, as may more dug out and made their way towards the city wall.

Railguns, and ground bombardment by the air force was instantly rendered useless since it might lead to the damage of the city walls.

The brown circular drones which had been on standby in the air space above the city moved into action at this time!

They moved out of the city and fired laser beams into the sand, killing over 5 Scorpions with each shot. But the scorpions were truly many in number, some managed to slip through the holes in the laser rain and dug their limbs into the city wall, trying to climb upwards.

At this time, many holes opened up along the wall and any scorpion that had its shadow cast in the hole was short through by a beam of white light, directly killing it!

But this battle wasn't as one sided as it appeared! The scorpions spat out a purple thick liquid onto the city walls and holes started appearing in the metal with purple smoke rising up.

"Michael, won't you be affected by the poison?" The mayor asked. 

"I can isolate it from my body." He answered nonchalantly. 

Most of the people in this city had merged with genes related to the creatures in this desert, even the scorpions, so they had a certain degree of immunity towards the poison.

As the slaughter down on the ground continued, the purple mist accumulated and the blood of the scorpions even formed puddles dying it purple.

"Pump water down! We need to weaken the corrosiveness of the poison!" Someone shouted, causing the top of the wall to open up and water to start sliding down the sides of the wall onto the ground below. It was like a water fall, washing away even the scorpions which had just climbing up on the sides of the wall.

The scene at the ground showed that only small scorpions the side of a palm had attacked so far. None of the large ones could be seen.

"Notify all the energy channellers to get up here on the wall!" The mayor ordered upon taking a closer look at the scene on the ground.

-----

Back in Kampala city, or you could say the wilderness away from the city, a massacre was taking place. 

Massive ants, a meter tall and four meters long were advancing on the terrain, whether it was forest, grassland or land. They were slaughtering every other beasts they encountered whether it was small or large. If it was troublesome and couldn't be taken care of by one ant, it was besieged by multiple.

The slaughter wasn't simply taking place aboveground, but also underground. You could even say that it was even more brutal than above ground as there were multiple times the lifeforms of aboveground, underneath.

From ant colonies, to worm balls, and other many insects. It was basically, teaming with life!

"Wow! Having these ants be the vanguard is better!" As Eric and the four sat watching a video feed from the cameras attached to some of the ants, they became more and more shocked by the sheer number of organisms the ants were encountering!

They were inside a temporary white tent, which had been provided by the city to all the people here. They were all relaxing inside, waiting for the main camp which was being constructed in the clearing. The city had also decided to provide them with live video feed, so that they can monitor the progress of the clearing.

"Eeeeek! How disgusting!" Leah shouted and closed her eyes. An earth worm had appeared on one of the holographic displays, and it was dripping with a lot of mucus, it was corrosive! 

The earthworm was brown, and the ant was engaged in a battle with the worm. Right now they could only see the front, but it was no doubt, long! The head had already broken out of the ground due to the diligent pulling of the ant. That's how they had managed to see its appearance.

Even Eric's forehead became wrinkled due to the worm, so he hurriedly switched to another scenery. This one was of multiple ants besieging a termite colony. The termites were only the size of a palm and were putting on quite the fight!

According to their estimates, the ant was probably covered in almost 50 of them.

As they watched the feed, a light beam cut through one of the termites clinging in the body of the ant, killing it instantly!

"Oh! The cars are following behind the ants?" Elena wondered. As she talked, more and more light beams fell onto the termites, massacring them.

-----

"The construction has been completed! All energy channellers are now required to come inside and take up missions!" A voice sounded from outside the tent, spreading to all the people outside. It was female, and judging by the tone, it must have been that woman, who had ordered them to wait.

"It has been boring, simply watching from the side. I want to fight!" Chloe's eyes lit up.

"Is fighting, all you have in your head?" Elena asked.

"..." Chloe didn't answer that question. She simply followed Eric out of the tent.

The sun had sunk into the horizon and the sky was simply lit up by the lingering rays. Darkness had started to encroach on the place. The time was 6:38pm.

"Are we going to have to take missions at night? That's risky!" Leah complained the moment she saw the time.

"Ah! I heard snakes have heat vision, but they don't 'see' the photons, only feeling the heat in their surroundings. Mmmm...fighting at night for you is going to be a bit hard." Eric said thoughtfully. His studies in bio-engineering had allowed him to recall that information.

1