Chapter 189 A Failed Assassination
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

RB Chapter 189 A Failed Assassination

The time stretched on as Chloe followed the beasts. Something interesting finally happened after a few hours, where a multitude of ants ambushed the beasts, it was something that they hadn't seen coming as said ants had come from underground. Not every species of beasts had decided to attack the humans. Those beasts which took shelter underground with absolutely zero need for anything above ground hadn't joined, so the beasts which lacked an underground contingent, only sensed the attack when the ants had been a few meters away from breaching the ground.

Boom!

The ground caved in or rose, pieces of earth hurled as many as 10m into the sky as ants poured out in the middle of the horde's ranks. Chloe too, hadn't expected it as the one following the beasts. They had probably not notified her because they had feared that the spectrum beasts would be capable of hijacking the signal. She watched as a scene of carnage played out all around her. She had managed to sneak into the horde undetected and had been observing the seven beasts from afar.

'Good riddance!' She praised mentally while priming herself to launch a deadly attack. A chance had finally opened up and there was no reason to hesitate! 

'It looks like there are a variety.' She observed from her patch in the leaves of the trees. The ants were in a variety of forms, some spiked, others poison spitters, crushers with giant pincers and many others. It was to the point that the abilities surpassed 30! Kiwuka had incorporated as many genes as possible from other attack type insect beasts.

'Kiwuka has been hard at work! Too bad we are enemies.' She shook hear head to get rid of the stray thought, once again directing her gaze towards the seven priority targets. As she had expected, they weren't even breaking a sweat. They just used their domains to surpress the ants, slaughtering them easily.

'I need to get closer.' She used the chaos to slide down the tree, her domain warping the light in such a way that she didn't stand out or get noticed. Sometimes even using the light reflected by the beasts to give the illusion that she was one of those beasts, apart of the pack. It was a trick she had just learnt a while ago. Spectrum warriors were truly on another level, that's what she had thought at the time, when Eric had been teaching her.

(Even I don't think that I have dug out all the possibilities brought upon by the spectrum domain.) She remembered Eric saying that while shaking his head with a wry smile when she had asked him whether he had mastered the abilities. He had even gone on to say that he was sure that there was none who could have explored all, as just the frequencies on the electromagnetic spectrum could nearly be infinite! Changing just a tiny variable of an infrared frequency would give you an entirely different wave on the electromagnetic spectrum altogether!

She crept beneath a shadow of an ant passing by, then jumped on top of a huge mutated elephant, its stomping had raised a large cloud of dust which was obscuring her gaze, also serving to mask her presence. She jumped off the moment she got her bearings, continuing her movement within the beasts, with none being the wiser. It was actually easier than before since they were occupied with the ants.

'I need to instantaneously accelerate the moment I get the chance!' She crept forwards. Her backpack was nowhere to be seen as she had buried it somewhere before following the beast horde. It was a few kilometers away but that didn't matter as she had already injected herself with all the liquid ATP. She was using most of her brain waves to store the liquid energy, preventing it from being used by her cells. It was a daunting task, but she had already decided to do it like that. She had even practiced last night. Her body was covered in the black scales of her SYMOR, having kept the clothes within the backpack since they might pose a hindrance, like slowing her down for a fraction of a second in an intense fight. It might be the difference between success and failure, life and death.

When she got within a hundred meters of the white furred monkey, she held her breath and concentrated in the task of masking her presence. The good thing was that there were already many corpses she could hide behind, beast and ant alike. Masking waves was using the electromagnetic domain was simple, but she had to mask the other things which a domain simply couldn't take care of, like sound and vibrations caused by her feet stepping onto the ground. It was a good thing that the ground was vibrating due to the intense battle, only leaving her with taking care not to release any sound.

Her heart rate almost sped up due to her thoughts but by having a firm hand on her metabolism, it didn't. All the turmoil, uncertainties and emotions were only raging within her mind. Her body was like a machine, everything smoothed out and prepared for the gamble of her life...yes, this was a gamble. A spectrum domain covered the few meters around the beast. Her eyes, though not as good as the abnormal Eric's, could still see that heat and light were shimmering around the monkey. The domain was active, acting as a sensory appendage, detecting anything that entered within its range.

An ant leaped at the white furred monkey from the side as it was dealing with another, this timing was impeccable as it had been in the middle of launching at attack towards the other! This was a coincidental moment, not prearranged! It only came about because the ants outnumbered the horde by multiple times.

'A chance!'

Zzzzzzzzzzt!

Almost yellowish electricity flashed along her body as she activated all the energy in her body. There was some waste as it was simply to voluminous and she couldn't keep control over it while simultaneously launching a deadly attack, so she let all of it burn. Her cells became so invigorated as she activated an ability which caused the normal cells to be reprogrammed to behave like electrocytes. Every cell in her body produced sparks which congregated into massive amounts of electricity within a split second. Her body tingled as her other cells temporarily took on the aspects of a nervous system.

'Everything is slow...no, my metabolism is so fast that everything seems slow.' She thought as she saw everything had almost slowed to the point it almost reached stillness.

Zzzzzzt!

The carcass she had been hiding behind was bombarded with electricity, causing the liquid blood to vapourise instantaneously, inflating due to the expansion of the vapor...she could see everything in slow motion. It was about to explode, she concluded, but that was a minor trifle, not worth an iota more of her time. Something else was of more importance!

'I will become lightning.' 

Zzzzzzz!

A bolt flashed, and she instantly appeared by the white furred monkey as if she had teleported! She raised herself up from the crouching position and stared into those red eyes. If it wasn't for the absurd speed, it would have appeared as if the two beings were in the middle of a face off.

'By the time my image registers in your brain, you will be dead!' She grinned menacingly. The chance had arrived, she felt the apocalyptic power causing through each cell and decided to end it with a punch, delivered by her right hand.

'Shit!!!!' She cursed as she felt a momentary pause in her body while launching a punch towards the white furred monkey's face. It was momentary, but it caused her super fast fist to pass within an inch of the head...she even caught the sight of the flesh from the monkey's face peeling back until only skull was exposed! The head had blurred a little, appearing in another unexpected position!

'I need to retreat!' She instantly turned into a bolt which vanished into the far distance. She had a feeling that if she tried with another attack, she might die here. Even though she had resolved herself to become reckless, the image of a saddened Eric caused her to not go through with it.

BOOOOOOM!

The air which had been compressed on the fist expanded, causing a very loud explosion. The air even managed to blow away all the beasts and vegetation in its path for almost 7m, not to mention the explosion of the carcass which had been left behind! Flesh, blood and bone were hurled away at terrifying speeds, causing injuries and death to the surrounding beasts.

-----

Its heart palpitated in utter terror! It had never felt so close to the word death that ever before! The white furred monkey stood in place, simply terrified to move. The punch had missed due to it having earned the experience from fighting her type! It had concentrated its domain in her, taking control of the electricity within her, since it was a type on the electromagnetic spectrum...though the control had been brief, it had allowed it the time to shift its head out of the way.

It didn't know how long it had simply stood there, but its followers were now surrounding it. It was sure they were talking, but its eardrums had already exploded from the massive thunderous sound.

It tried to raise its left hand but couldn't feel any feedback so it looked down. The hand was okay, it was still there but there was no feedback. Trying to clench the fist didn't produce anything! It moved its gaze upwards and saw blood! The shoulder had almost entirely been blown off, bones and all, only leaving behind a thin piece of flesh to support the dangling hand.

'A human...one of the...idiotic humans...almost succeeded in taking...me down!?' it was incredulous of such a thing. It could feel that the spinal bones in its neck had moved out of alignment because of the fast movement caused by the shifting if its head, but that wasn't as important as the terror and rage, intermixed in its mind.

As it was lost in a daze, the pain came! It was so much, so abrupt, that the monkey simply lost consciousness.

-----

"Shit! I failed! How could it have managed to dodge? How could its domain have paused me?" Chloe rampaged as she destroyed everything around her. She was very furious! Something that should have ended instantly had failed! 

Boom! Boom!

"How could that have happened? If I hadn't paused for a split second...!"

Explosions rocked the earth as she vented her frustrations upon it. Even though she could have launched a second attack, for some reason, her instincts had screamed at her. She was sure that she would have died! That was one of the reasons why she was angry. She had been forced to retreat due to an instinct!

Boom! Boom!

The explosions continued. She was a few kilometers away from the place. For some reason the beasts hadn't been sent to search for her, the ambusher.

Minutes later...

"That monkey wasn't simple. Its domain is probably stronger that mine considering that it managed to control all the electricity in my body, pausing my strike for a mere instant."

"Another ambush won't be possible for now...and I even exhausted all my energy." She mumbled. She had finally calmed down and was leaning by a tree, spent of all the energy in her system. Her entire body had become paralysed. All her cells were practically screaming pain at her nerves. Her forehead had bulged veins as she held it in all. The cells had become so oversensitive that every cell that was making contact with anything, be it the ground or tree, were transmitting even more pain than the others. Her body constantly convulsed as a mechanism to express the pain she was currently enduring.

-----

"Damn it! That was the greatest chance! How could she have failed?" Cleo punched the table so hard, that it shattered, but no one was even remotely in the mood to berate her as they were on the same page.

"Madam, you need to calm down. We need to analyse this very calmly. I have already ordered a new table to be brought it." 

1