Chapter 198 Unstable Emotions
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

RB Chapter 198 Unstable Emotions

As Chloe was in the middle of putting down the troublesome flying creatures assaulting the teams, her eyes caught sight of a streak of light coming towards her position. The streak was far too fast causing alarm to burst in her heart upon seeing who it was.

'Could it be that the spectrum beasts are moving?!' Her heart abruptly sped up as she stared at Eric who was racing towards her.

"Chloe..." Eric started the moment he reached her side.

"What? Did the spectrum beasts move?" Chloe asked impatiently cutting him off. In her anxious state, she failed to notice that Eric was somehow behaving differently.

"No. There is something wrong with me." The first word caused her to almost breathe out a sigh of relief only for it to become caught in her throat at what he said next.

Chloe took a good look and saw that Eric's pupils were dilated and he was giving off a savage aura.

"What happened? Why are you like this...as if you want to murder someone?" She asked while still moving. Even though she was worried about him, this was the battlefield so they still had to act. Sitting down and chatting calmly was out of the question.

"I think I still haven't gotten the rage and humiliation I feel against that monkey out of my system. This state isn't good as I am more liable to make mistakes. I even crushed a few of the beasts gruesomely, splattering blood because of my heightened emotions." He looked at his hands while saying that. There was no blood as he had vibrated every skin cell at such speed that the droplets had slit off without sticking at all.

"What do you really feel towards that beast? Is it rage or fear?" Chloe asked. Even though she was scared of the answer, she had to ask.

"Rage. I want to tear that monkey into pieces! But if I let my emotions take control, I might lose my life, so I don't know what to do." Eric looked sideways at her. Chloe released an electric tendril that destroyed a beast that was about to kill a man via an ambush as she passed by. This was her first time she had released one. Even though the battle was important, she was still putting Eric's importance above that of the battle in her heart, even if it was subconsciously. After all, if it was a normal time, there is no way she would have struck the beast with electricity.

"First of all, try to regulate your breathing. If you keep breathing that heavily, you will ultimately be wasting energy." Chloe said upon which Eric took a deep breath.

'Thank God it isn't fear. If it was, then that would have been troublesome.' She calmed down her tense state.

"Chloe, have you ever felt like this?" Eric asked. She picked up the curiosity in his voice.

"No, this is my first time coming upon a situation like yours. Honestly, I don't even know how to handle it. In another few hours, the spectrum beasts will either attack, or the spectrum warriors will arrive in the morning and we will have the initiative to attack. I don't know how you will cope with that. We should ask Michael when he arrives. He will probably have more concrete advice." Chloe suggested.

-----

'The flying mindless ones are thinning while the ground moving ones haven't yet broken through the ants. At this rate the humans will have some time to rest before the horde manages to breakthrough.' The yellow furred monkey thought while standing atop a very gigantic looking mutant elephant the height of 8m and a width of 4m. The other spectrum beasts...its companions were also standing atop other similarly gigantic beasts, watching the far distance.

It's yellow fur waves in the wind  and glistened from the little light that managed to reach this place from the base of the humans. Except for the distortion, the others didn't try to bend the light around themselves becoming completely visible.

'What is going on within its mind?' The yellow furred monkey wondered while looking sideways at the white furred monkey which was resting with its eyes closes on the elephant. It was so carefree that the battle appeared not have any importance in its eyes. The other six were silently staring ahead without any impetus to interrupt the boss. The yellow furred monkey though could see that that frog looking fellow was occasionally staring at the boss with a glint in its eye. When it met eyes with the yellow furred monkey, it grinned in its direction.

The yellow furred monkey simply moved its vision away and stared back in front. 

'That beast is very cunning. I must make sure I don't fall into its traps.' The yellow furred monkey cautiously thought.

"The humans...it seems...they might have two...humans who...are at your...level." The voice of the boss rang out causing every other spectrum beast to unconsciously straighten their postures. It was still closing its eyes but for some reason, all felt as if it was scrutinizing them when it spoke.

"Only two? Are they stupid? With their gadgets they must have already known that we are seven. How can they just mobilise just a pitiful two? How can they stop us from destroying this base then?" The question came from the distortion but it spoke what everyone here was thinking.

"Don't...ever...underestimate...them." The white furred monkey warned as it sat up and opened its eyes. The red gems that were its pupils stared into the distance.

'Its looking into the distance with seriousness. Is something threatening there?' The yellow furred monkey wondered while analysing the white furred monkey's expression.

It had picked up the skill to analyse facial expressions as it didn't want to miss any of the warnings that its life was in danger from the crazy boss.

"Sometime back...a human below...my level...managed...to injure me." The reveal caused everyone of the spectrum beasts to be so shocked that they lacked the words for some few minutes. 

This was a shocking piece of information!

'Who!? Which human managed to do that? Wait, could it be that ambusher?' The yellow furred monkey calmed down upon coming to that conclusion.

"It wasn't...that assassin...it was a human...male. He attacked...with a frontal...assault." The heart of the yellow furred monkey which had just calmed down sped up abruptly. This meant that there was a human out there capable of killing them.

'Is he a monster like the boss?' The yellow furred monkey wondered.

"Where is that human who dared to challenge you boss?" The question came from the distortion. It was low as if tinged with immense rage. The yellow furred monkey and the others didn't change their expressions upon noticing the rage within that voice as they had long known that the distortion was very loyal to the white furred monkey. The yellow furred monkey and the others were puzzled though, as the distortion had once revealed that it had found the fruit that allowed it to reach this level by itself. It had in no way been helped by their white furred boss.

"The human...is already...dead. He sacrificed his...life." The white furred monkey said.

'What kind of human could be capable of injuring the monster that is the boss?' The yellow furred monkey wondered. All of them believed the words of the boss as there was no way that he would lie.

-----

"Commander Chloe! I am from the north facing side. We have a bit of a situation!" Someone's voice came through the communications patch at Chloe's right hand.

"What is it? Are the spectrum beasts moving? Have those ground beasts finally defeated that ants? Stupid elder! The man clearly said that there was going to be a surprise! Where is it?" She raged.

"Chloe, your emotions. The man hasn't finished his report." Eric, who was still by her side cautioned.

"The blood from the slaughtered beasts has pooled beneath the walls! If something isn't done soon, it might collapse!"

"Ah! I didn't think of that! Since we are on to of the hill, then the blood has to flow downwards! What a shit show! I only took the ground beasts into account when I was planning the design of the base!" Chloe slapped her forehead as she stopped in place.

"So, should they blast a few holes under the wall?" Eric asked.

"Yes...hey you! Do that! There must be people with genetic abilities capable of such a task. But make sure that the wall doesn't crumble. If it does, I will make an example of everyone!" Chloe practically shouted the orders into the patch.

"The flying beasts have decreased. The remaining Ines will be left to the others. Let's go back to the wall." Chloe didn't wait for Eric. She turned around and turned into a blur which went back to the northern direction.

-----

'I hope I don't do anything bad while fighting the spectrum beasts.' Eric sighed while following behind Chloe. He was still worried that his current mental state might lead to slip ups that might cost not only his but also the lives of the people he cares about.

'But why aren't the spectrum beasts attacking? It has been such a long time!' After calming down, such a thought puzzled his mind. You could say that in the midst of the dual assault of the flying and ground beasts was the perfect chance to strike. So why weren't the spectrum beasts attacking? This was something that he was sure was also on not just his mind, but even Chloe's and all those watching this battle closely.

Piak!

'Shit!' He cursed inside as he stepped into a puddle of blood. If it wasnt because he had to save energy, he could have blasted the ground with electricity and dried it. The hill had been overgrown with grass, even though it had been barely an inch thick, but right now, the ground was cratered and most of the grass had become corroded through the contact with the insect blood. Even many humans had lost their lives at the start due to not taking evasive measures when the blood had gushed out of the insects. Some of the blood had been poisonous while the other half had been corrosive.

In just a few minutes, they managed to reach the top of the north facing wall of the hill. Eric looked below, his gaze passing over the two walls to the battle raging between the ants and the beasts.

"The ants have thinned. In two hours at most, their perimeter will be breached." Chloe said by his side. Even he himself could see that.

The battle was churning out corpses on such a fast rate that hills were being formed. Eric couldn't even imagine the amount of liquids that were making their way down the hill, soaking the soil. But he could see that the large beasts in the back were struggling to make it up the hill causing the assault of the beast horde to slow down considerably.

-----

"The beast horde is slowing down. Chloe should be praises for choosing such an ideal battleground." An elderly voice commented as the screen showed the battle that was taking place. The person who had talked had been Elder Muti. 

The footage was being taken by the drones that were still up in the air. They hadn't joined the battle because they had only been built for surveillance and scouting purposes.

"She is a budding talent." Bunyogovu agreed with that statement, but they both knew that no matter how talented she was, there was no way she was going to be allowed to join the center of power. That was the cruel reality due to her origins of being one of the members of the previous rulers, the ten clans.

"But the ants are still going to fall within two hours at this rate. I heard there are certain surprises you prepared?" Bunyogovu asked.

"It wasn't entirely me...Kiwuka was also involved. The surprises will only show themselves after the spectrum beasts start moving." The elder said as he leaned back into his chair comfortably. So far everything was going according to plan.

"Did you notify the Cairo theater?" Bunyogovu asked.

"They know. We just haven't notified Chloe because of caution. The Cairo theater of operations came up with the idea, giving the excuse that some spectrum beasts can pick up on communication waves." Elder Muti explained with a sigh.

"Elder, our faction seems to lack spectrum warriors. We need to raise some of our own." Bunyogovu had lowered her voice.

"Yes, but we are still in the middle of a battle. We will have to start such plans after. Though, I have already commissioned some energy channellers, those on our side to look out for any special plants in the wilds." The elder whispered back.

1