Chapter 201 Looming Main Battle
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

RB Chapter 201 Looming Main Battle

Leah stood upon the wall, her face expressionless. Even though it was expressionless, she was feeling nervous inside. It was taking up all her willpower just to stat standing and not flee into the fortress. Seeing the massive number of beasts below the hill before hadn't been much, but after fighting the flying ones, the horde seemed to have become even more intimidating to her eyes. 

"Leah, I was very wrong before. Becoming legendary right now is going to be impossible. I won't even have the chance to show off." Elena's voice came from her right. It was very fragile as if on the verge of trembling.

Hooo! Haaa!

Leah took in a deep breath before breathing out. Right now wasn't the time for getting off pace. She had to pull herself together. If she showed any signs of weakness and Elena saw them...

"It will just be a slaughterfest. Anything that attacks will have to be slayed. We will have to monitor our energy usage while also making sure that we don't get any injuries." Leah turned her head to the side, and mustering confident expression on her face, she said.

"All members! You better not mess up! Some of you died, but those of you still alive have already become veterans. It will be better if it keeps that way! I don't want our team to lose any more members!" That was probably the captain's version of an uplifting speech, that was Leah's thought after listening to those words.

Boom!

An explosion and the sound of crumbling attracted all their gazes, the third outer wall had a massive hole forcefully torn through by a mutated rhinoceros. The laser weapon which had been buried within the wall didn't manage to survive the blow, being crushed underneath the debris.

'The third outer wall has finally fallen.' Leah thought as she looked at the beasts streaming through the gap. Of course it wasn't easy as they still had to contend with the laser weapons embedded within the second wall.

"Look! Look! The beasts are struggling in place! Is that another trap that was placed by Chloe?" Elena's voice came out loudly due to the excitement. She even forgot to address Chloe as the commander instead calling her by name. Leah had the urge to facepalm at her attitude. But she still hurriedly directed her attention at the place where Elena was pointing.

What she saw was the rhino variant which had crushed through the wall struggling in place, sometimes moving up, sometimes moving down, the hilly area proving to be a very hard challenge.

"The soil must have soaked in all the blood from those flying beasts. Don't you remember the orders of Chloe from before?" Leah asked after coming to some sort of conclusion.

"Ahhhhhh! How could I have forgotten? This is going to make the battle even easier!" Elena shouted in realisation.

"Oy! You! Why don't you try to keep your voice down? Do you have to shout at every little thing?" The captain's berating voice entered the two's ears. Leah noticed that Elena's expression turned ugly at the captain's words but she didn't dare to retort back.

"Anyway, what you said is right. The change in the terrain will prevent the beasts from swarming us enmasse. And it will even get easier from there as many more die. Only those lighter ones, specialised in agility will be the only ones left to pose a threat." Leah said in a quieter voice. She decided not touch upon the sensitive subject of the captain for now.

After that, Leah once again moved her gaze below, where the beasts were struggling with the terrain, causing more to be felled by the laser weapons. Many beasts were dying with each laser beam, causing mayhem and chaos, but that still didn't bring solace to the humans on top of the inner most wall. Even though many were being killed by the lasers, many more were filling the gaps, causing everyone's expressions to either appear fearful, or stoic.

-----

Minutes passed, almost 20 to be precise. The humans had stood on the inner walls, watching as the beasts advanced up the hill, step by step, losing many of their brethren. 

Boom!

The second outer wall finally crumbled amidst the assault of the beasts, leaving only the last one standing...

Emerald green scales trembled within this sound filled night, opening and closing as if in sync with their owner's breathing. With the owner being Leah, the scales were trembling with each breath she was taking, opening and closing in sync. Her eyes glowed with a green light as she cycled energy within her veins, storing up force. She was like a coiled spring only waiting for the opportune moment to spring out with all her power!

The mud covered terrain was slowing down some of the beasts, but those specialised in agility, having leaner builds, were still making their way towards the wall at an even faster speed. Most were feline creatures, having a variety of colored fur and eyes.

Foooo!

Leah breathed out one last time, steam vaguely appearing within the darkness, obscuring the light that was falling upon her figure...

-----

'So, the time has come...the time that I have started dreading ever since the flying creatures assaulted our fortress...' Elena's eyes glinted as she beheld the scene before her. The creatures appeared particularly horrific in her vision due to their various evolutionary paths. Some had multiple legs, too many for their forms, others, too many eyes. These were the Ines which took the wrong oath leading to undesirable mutations.

'It looks like I will have to toughen up.' She took in a very deep breath, her chest rising and falling in tandem with her breathing. The brown SYMOR on her body, which appeared as of it had been woven from strands of her fur clung to her form, emphasizing all the curves of her body. Her long legs made her seem taller than even their team's captain, but they didn't appear incongruent from her overall appeal, instead serving to enhance it to high levels.

Shew!

Something flashed, a furry face appearing directly within her vision. It had been so fast, so unexpected that all she had seen had been a blur...but that didn't stop her from reacting, as just like electricity, her body moved with such speed that she instantly matched the speed of the black furred creature.

Piak!

Blood splattered as her hand punched out at such speed that it was comparable to that of a bullet. The head of the beast was directly pulverised into smithereens, some of the blood even turning into mist. The force of the blow even pushed away the rest of the body, causing it to collide with another agile beast.

After that punch, Elena spread her legs, adopting a stance.

'I won't let anything that enters my range pass this place.' She resolved herself, hunkering down for what she knew was the brutal battle to come.

-----

As if dancing, Leah casually dodged and slashed out, felling multiple agile beasts. They were agile but, they lacked the ability to minutely control their bodies like her. To her, it was as simple as breathing, sometimes even moving as if she was boneless.

"Ha!"

A shout attracted her attention...she had even had the leisure of splitting her attention!

She saw her friend, Elena slaughtering beasts with such vigor that she appeared to have plenty of energy. Elena's attacks lacked the finesse of hers but what she lacked, she made up for by being stable, not being impulsive in attacking.

A palm to the chest, caused a lion-like beast's chest to cave in and the force pushed it away and down the wall into the others. Elena didn't so much as spare it another glance, instead using her other hand to sever the neck of another by growing out her nails to a third of a meter long. 

Leah secretly nodded at that. Elena's words always made people think that she was just a person who favored brawn over brains, but Leah knew different. Her friend wasn't someone who would do something like put her life on the line for some glory. She had a talent, when under attack, her mind would switch to combat mode where she would be able to read each attack and instantly predict what course of action that needed to be taken.

Leah always envied this. She appeared to be moving gracefully, but that was due to her genetic advantages. Elena, on the other hand moved as if she had already predicted the actions of the enemy.

She once again moved her gaze away focussing on her own task, slaughtering beasts with as minimal energy as possible.

'This is easier than before, but due to the numbers, the fatigue is going to build up.' She thought.

'The spectrum beasts are the key, if they move, the battlefield will become even more dangerous.' She continued thinking while killing multiple beasts every second. In order to achieve such a feat, she directly made a move on their weak points.

Once again, as if dancing, she waltzed between the spaces created the beasts, using her sharp nails and a bit of intelligence to reap lives.

-----

"This is going to be a long night." Chloe commented as she punched a beast, crushing its skull inwards. The beast had been an elephant, over five meters in height. The battle had been going on for quite some time, meaning that some of the beasts which had been unable to make it up the hill before were now starting to appear. This elephant had been about to swing its trunk, smashing the still intact inner wall, only for Chloe to kill it in a single blow.

"The spectrum beasts still haven't made a move. All of the laser weapons already stopped firing a while ago." Eric was focussed on something else, even as he guarded the left of Chloe, killing any of the beasts that tried to get past him. 

Due to the humans all being energy channellers and the beasts being normal, none had managed to bypass the humans to wreck havoc onto the inner areas. 

"They must still be waiting, wondering whether we are only feigning." Chloe said, her eyes glinting with flashes of electricity. Right now, the both of them weren't using any electric attacks in order to preserve energy and be in tiptop condition for when those spectrum beasts moved.

"The problem is that we are only two. The moment that they move, many are going to lose their lives, since we can't obstruct all seven by ourselves." Chloe said, her voice filled with worry.

"We are going to have to exert ourselves, using all our power to increase our speed." Eric said. Blood was rumbling within his body, being pushed along by his very powerful heart. Right now, he was warming up by slaughtering the other beasts.

"Eric, aren't you scared of the possibility that you might die?" All of a sudden, Chloe asked.

"Me dying...I haven't thought that much about it. I have been so preoccupied with my rage." Eric, as if having been awoken from a very long dream said.

"I have been agonising about it this entire time...what if I get killed? Who will take care of you? Will you be sad after I am gone?" As words left her mouth in a stream, she made sure to hide her current expression from him even in the middle of this slaughter.

Eric's heart jolted slightly at her words, his expression becoming complicated. He knew that she loved him, but this was the first time in a long time that she had shown such a fragile side.

"I don't plan on dying." After a pause, where only the sounds of beasts and slaughter had been entering their ears, he said, his voice heavy with conviction.

"I really hope you don't. I really really do...because I don't know what I will do when you are gone. I am alone in this world, Eric. My parents died while I was still young, and due to the way the clan functioned, none were trustworthy enough for me to form an attachment...you are the only person in this world I am close to." She said, this time allowing him to catch a glimpse of her blue eyes which were showing signs of moisture at their sides as if her tears were on the verge of falling.

****

Support on Patreon for more info about this fictional Earth 

1