Chapter 211 Reactions
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

         RB Chapter 211 Reactions

(Commander! There appears to be the sound of an engine from the southern direction.) 

Chloe jolted, her head snapping up from the warm shoulder it had been occupying, sleep and fatigue visible in her gaze. Simply leaning in his shoulder had caused her to relax, sleep almost following only to be rudely awakened by a report from someone. A curse almost made it out of her mouth, only making it to the tip of her tongue before being swallowed down.

"Do you have a visual?" She asked through the earpiece that had always been in her left ear ever since her appointment as the commander. She wasn't the only one, as all the people participating had been given one.

(No, too many beasts in the way.)

"Send out a drone then! I am currently guarding the northern direction, keep me posted on any developments." She ordered before cutting off communication.

"It looks like our reinforcements are going to come with a splash." Eric said, a laugh escaping his mouth. The anticipation was thick in his eyes, probably looking forward to what kind of powerful people were coming. She didn't blame him as she too also wanted to meet them.

"I thought they were going to arrive by air. Whose idea was it to load them into a road vehicle I wonder." She was frustrated. They should have dropped from the sky!

"We just have to keep an eye on the spectrum beasts, especially the white furred monkey." Eric gazed down the hill towards the beast camp.

"The frog beast and the hyena are elusive. The drones have even lost sight of them, how are we to guard against them?" Chloe shook her head.

"The assembled team must be strong...besides, I don't think those two would dare to try and take on five spectrum warriors, would you?" He gave her the side eye.

"That would be suicide." Chloe answered.

"Though, just curious...who do you think has arrived?" Eric asked.

"It looks like we will both find out when they finally make their way here." She grinned.

"Are you going to order an assault when they arrive?" He asked once again.

"Of course! Those beasts attacked us yesterday, it will be time for payback."

-----

Blood, pieces of flesh, corpses, everything was blasted away from the path with just a flicker of the singer's form. He had made it out the car and was standing atop the hood in front.

'He's fast! He probably can rival Chloe.' Michael thought as he replayed a video in his mind, the video of the assassination attempt on the white furred monkey.

"Its interesting to watch. How is he making sure that none of the blood and flesh stain him, let alone the vehicle!" An exclamation burst out of Mara's mouth. Everyone was analysing the singer's moves, even Lucien, whose gaze held excitement according to his reflection in the windshield.

"The singer had entered his eyes. He will probably challenge him after the mission." He mumbled.

Everything that got within five meters of the car was blasted away, beasts torn into chunks without even being able to react or feel any pain. The man was brutal, Michael had to give him that. Since he was still humming, it looked like this was simply too easy.

Michael knew his limits. He couldn't support such speed unless he channelled energy to his muscles, but that would also only grant him a temporary boost. His lion genes simply weren't engineered for such speed. He wasn't angry or envious, everyone simply had their own specialisations, an immutable fact.

With an ounce of conscious effort, stored ATP was moved from the cells surrounding his eyes to those which were related to vision, causing the brown rims of his pupils to light up. His focus changed from the singer to piercing through the spaces within the multitude of beasts to the hill in the distance.

With his enhanced vision, he managed to peer at its state. Craters adorned the slopes, with red mud visible almost everywhere. He could see two ruin lines where the two outer walls used to run, brown broken pieces scattered next to them. The last wall was intact, something which caused some of his worry to go away.

Figures could be seen gathered along the wall gazing in their direction, no doubt the energy channellers defending the fortress.

'Judging by how they seem to be moving, the fortress hasn't yet fallen.' He withdrew the energy and rubbed his eyes. Channelling massive amounts of energy to any one part and straining the unadapted cells always came with such a cost.

"It looks like the city is still intact." The iceberg stated the obvious.

"Michael, don't die here." Out of know where, Mara said. Michael saw that her playful demeanor was nowhere to be seen, her expression hard.

"I don't plan to." He grinned with confidence.

-----

"(Yawn)!" Leah stretched her stiff and dull aching limbs. She had just woken up and made it to the city wall, it hadn't been just her who had been rudely awakened, but everyone who had been sleeping. The morning was chilly, a bad time for her to be awake. She was warm blooded unlike the beast genes within her, but she still disliked the dawn. Too cold for liking.

She felt very angry even as she walked on top of the wall, her expression causing those who wanted to greet her to waver, ultimately running away with their tails beneath their legs. Most of those were male. She was pretty and had become somewhat of an idol. Her petit form also served to increase the number of her pursuers.

But her eyes were already on someone. These people were annoying flies in her eyes.

"What's up?" She asked Elena the moment she came close. In contrast to her, Elena appeared spritly. She almost envied her.

"There is a commotion somewhere further. A car is coming in our direction." She pointed causing Leah to finally shift her attention beyond the wall. Since she had been groggy and angry, gazing beyond the wall hadn't clicked in her mind even as she had been moving among the others who were making a minor commotion, pointing outwards.

"Could they be the reinforcements?" Leah asked.

"Spectrum warriors, Leah! The spectrum warriors are here. How lucky are we that they chose to appear in or general direction!" Leah trembled as the taller girl patted her back forcefully. It was uncomfortable.

"You are the only one this enthusiastic." Leah mumbled, Elena failing to catch the words as her height increased. Leah looked under only to see the girl tiptoeing, trying to see further.

"They will eventually arrive. You just have to be patient...hey! Do you want to fall off the wall!" As she was in the middle of offering advice, Elena had walked to the edge of the wall, having forgotten that they weren't on ground. Leah forcefully pulled her back.

-----

"They are setting off quite the commotion." Cleo commented in her seat behind a desk, a smile on her face. Dark bags would have been on her eyes if she had been a normal human, but in this era, a night without sleep wouldn't cause such changes.

"I think I will have breakfast." After saying that, she gestured to her secretary who ordered from the kitchen remotely.

"We have sent the best that we could. If they lose, then we would temporarily be lacking replacements." A citylord commented as he sat on a chair. A long table had been cleared as they waited for breakfast to be served. The tension of last night had served to prevent the encroachment of hunger. But it hadn't been forever as now, it had struck with a vengeance, Cleo hearing rumblings of stomachs here and there. It was also the reason she was sporting a smile, as the citylords were blushing furiously, embarrassed at their own digestive organ. Hers too had rumbled, but she hadn't cared.

"They won't lose. There are some genuine monsters among them, the white furred monkey would be hard pressed to win this one." A woman commented while leaning back in her chair. She was one of the ten citylords Cleo had invited to advise her about the war.

"I totally agree. That Lion is genuinely terrifying. I wouldn't want to fight the man if I can help it." Cleo joined in.

The doors opened as a group of well dressed servants entered with serving trays, the intoxicating smell causing rumblings to sound in the room.

The servant who had brought her meal, opened the cover, causing a scintillating sight to enter Cleo's eyes. Almost every crop grown within her city was at her course meal. From roasted maize dipped in melted butter to fried brown bean soup. Meat from the mutated beasts to harvest from the lab gardens. Everything was here, cooked to perfection by the chefs hired from the city. Only the best had been selected, each a master of their craft.

"This...no matter how many times I get to see it...is the best damn food presentation!" A citylord exclaimed. They sat in their own table, while Cleo stayed by her desk.

"Of course. We hired the best after all." Cleo's secretary commented as she started on her meal. She was sitting opposite Cleo herself.

"Its too bad those on the battlefield down in Kampala can't enjoy such meals, having to rely on ATP to keep going. Should I order a feast to be prepared for them after they win?" Cleo wondered out loud as her cutlery danced on her plate, before bringing a piece fried potato to her mouth.

1